Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Mister Roboto posted:

I still think it's funny that no one was smart enough to develop a Final Fantasy style triple-bullet angle gun:

I think it'd be almost impossible for a Jedi to deflect those all at once since a straight line can only block two angles.

Because it's really dumb, I mean you can tell just looking at it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

RagnarokAngel posted:

Because it's really dumb, I mean you can tell just looking at it.

It still illustrates that a lightsaber is weak to a triangle of bullets.

Locutus of Bald
Aug 20, 2009

by Debbie Metallica

Mister Roboto posted:

I still think it's funny that no one was smart enough to develop a Final Fantasy style triple-bullet angle gun:

I think it'd be almost impossible for a Jedi to deflect those all at once since a straight line can only block two angles.

Well, you see, The Force would allow them to block it because

Alternate answer: Midichlorians.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Block two bullets while holding your saber far from your body and then move the saber faster than the last bullet and deflect it closer to your body. Easy as pie.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Or just use cover and use the Force to rip it out of their hands. Lightsaber blocking has always been for show anyway.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Locutus of Bald posted:

Well, you see, The Force would allow them to block it because

Because bullets are tiny objects, and the most common Force power is telekinesis. Jedi would only have to lift their hand and Neo/Magneto the bullets to a halt.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

I don't think Jedi can react that quickly. I mean blasters clearly move slower (I realize this is for narrative convenience in the films, but in a universe that has to justify everything, here we are).

seal it with a kiss
Sep 14, 2007

:3

Admiral Goodenough posted:

I know we've talked about this before, but why aren't there any regular/non-blaster guns in the EU again?

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Slugthrower

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Obviously the best weapon to use against Jedi are slow working inconvinient sexually transmitted diseases.

Sith Happens
Jun 7, 2005

You will find that it is you
who are mistaken.

About a great many things.

SeanBeansShako posted:

Obviously the best weapon to use against Jedi are slow working inconvinient sexually transmitted diseases.

Except the Jedi aren't supposed to ever get attached.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Well, I guess you can still scissor. That'll get at least the female Jedi infected.

Arschlochkind
Mar 29, 2010

:stare:

Mister Roboto posted:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Imperial_Repeater_Rifle

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

SeanBeansShako posted:

Midichlorians are actually mutated from the bacteria causing syphilis, so too late.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Bullets are small but move really fast, so i dont thinkyur average jedi would be able to neo-style stop the bullets. Ite benmor efficient to push towards them at an oblique angle to deflect them anyway. Sort of like sloped armor on battleships would deflect shells. But if a jedi tried to stop one woth his saber theyd basically have a cloud of gaseous lead flyng at them and that would be bad. Or molten lead.

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

Alternatively, http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Scatter_pistol

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Grendels Dad posted:

Midichlorians are actually mutated from the bacteria causing syphilis, so too late.

God the whole force thing and the Jedi are so boring now.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

I just need to ask, what is with all the Stackpole love in this thread? I always thought the characters and dialogue in his X-wing novels were really boring. For some reason he loves Correlians, almost all of his characters are from Correlia and they all like to stand around Corran Horn raising eyebrows at each other.

Corran Horn always annoyed me. He saves the day every single time, he tells all the jokes and all the ladies fall in love with him. He also seems to 'die' almost every book, even in the one NJO book I read with him in it he apparently died after saving the day, only to show up laughing about the experience a couple chapters later.

There's also a section in the second X-wing book where everybody thinks he's dead, and so Rogue Squadron all change their uniforms to match his (he had his own special green one) and there's a few pages dedicated to everybody attending a state funeral. Wedge even has an internal monologue about how tragic it is, when Rogue Squadron has a notoriously high attrition rate and Corran was not the first casuality by far, even by the second book.

With I, Jedi (told from Corran's perspective of course), Stackpole makes his character the only smart one during the Jedi Academy events (not that Anderson had a good thing going there to start with.)

The wierd thing? Stackpole posed as Corran Horn for an trading card picture, despite "the fact he looks nothing like the character" http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Michael_A._Stackpole

"fixing up" somebody else's work from the first person? Hmmm...

Corran Horn is a perfect character, the best pilot ever pilot (with own special green x-wing!) who everybody loves. Even as a Jedi he gets his own special robes and lightsaber (it can extend to twice its length and change its colour or something) and has a special ability to absorb energy (although he has no telekinesis to balance things out?)

Compare this to the Wraith Squadron novels and its hilarious. I was flipping through the first one the other day, and Allston actually has Wedge say, "Not everyone can identify with Corran Horn of Correlian security..." All the characters work together and get their moments and they all have flaws. Not very deep stuff, but it beats self-insertion.

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008
I think it's pretty well accepted here that Stackpole's books are better than most of the EU by a good margin, but that they do have the downside of Corran Horn being the biggest Mary Sue (or whatever the masculine equivalent is) ever.

Personally, I don't really care for his character dialogue either, it all comes across as really overwrought like the characters are all aware that they're in a movie and need to be grandiose about everything - the Wraith Squadron books in comparison were much more natural. I loved his books in the 90s but after I went back and rebought them last year, all the flaws were more visible. Still, they're really cool for the combat descriptions which are hugely nostalgic for people who played the X-wing vs Tie Fighter games.

EddieDean
Nov 17, 2009
I've been driving a lot lately, so I got a hold of some Star Wars audiobooks for listening in the car.

First I'm working through the 'Rise of Vader' trilogy (Labyrinth of Evil, Revenge of the Sith, Dark Lord: The Rise of Darth Vader), and then I'm going to work through all the Zahn material in chronological order.

Labyrinth of Evil was OK. Not terrible, not amazing, but a good enough setup to the galaxy and the clone wars and stuff. Revenge of the Sith though, I see why it gets so much love. The language isn't incredible but the depth of the characters is pretty great. And drat, it's vast. I'm 50 minutes in and Anakin and Obi-Wan haven't even got into Grievous' ship above Coruscant yet. But it's great what's done with Anakin - already they've explored how his weaknesses are also his strengths, and vice versa. And how the knowledge that he's the best Jedi is a burden to him because even then there are things beyond him, and therefore beyond the universe. It makes his cockiness much more a front hiding his fear, which does humanise him and make him seem like less of a bitch.

Also, spergy as gently caress, but I had a thought about the 'setting' of Star Wars (yeah yeah, fiction, non-canon, not the intent of the creators, whatever): I reckon it's way closer to the Big Bang, in a very young universe when the fundamental forces are still being created. This fits with the whole '...long time ago...' setting, and in part explains all of the unscience like sounds in space, gravity-physics in space, intergalactic travel, hyperspace, the force, 'lasers' which exert physical force, electricity being visible, etc etc.

When I get to the Zahn stuff, which I'm sure'll be great, are there any non-Zahn books which cover relevant ground to the enjoyment of his series? Does Zahn deal with all of his own plot threads? Or will reading only Zahn give me a full picture of all the Zahn plots and characters?

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004

EddieDean posted:

Also, spergy as gently caress, but I had a thought about the 'setting' of Star Wars (yeah yeah, fiction, non-canon, not the intent of the creators, whatever): I reckon it's way closer to the Big Bang, in a very young universe when the fundamental forces are still being created. This fits with the whole '...long time ago...' setting, and in part explains all of the unscience like sounds in space, gravity-physics in space, intergalactic travel, hyperspace, the force, 'lasers' which exert physical force, electricity being visible, etc etc.

Oh my god.

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Ta gueule, laisse-moi finir.
Sometimes when I go to this thread, I get this weird disconnected feeling. Like, what the gently caress am I doing arguing about whether or not this group of sword-wielding space-monks in this fictional universe of a series of sci-fi movies from the 80's have a hit-it-and-quit-it policy or not? How is this at all relevant to my life?

But then someone posts an interesting link to Wookiepedia and I have to go check that out...

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

So I was going through a bunch of old documents at work and scanning then shredding them, and I come across this name:

quote:

Mark Greivous, M.D.

:aaa:

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Star Wars aside, it must suck to be Dr. Greivous. I imagine he doesn't get many patients.

EddieDean
Nov 17, 2009

Van Dis posted:

Oh my god.

Too spergy?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Admiral Goodenough posted:

Sometimes when I go to this thread, I get this weird disconnected feeling. Like, what the gently caress am I doing arguing about whether or not this group of sword-wielding space-monks in this fictional universe of a series of sci-fi movies from the 80's have a hit-it-and-quit-it policy or not? How is this at all relevant to my life?

But then someone posts an interesting link to Wookiepedia and I have to go check that out...

I refuse to believe Mace Windu doesn't slip on some shades and look for some fine humanoid hunnies on his weekends.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Hey Star Wars people, I was just watching the Empire Strikes Back and noticed that at the very end, the Rebel fleet is orbiting the outskirts of the entire galaxy. They've got to be at least 100k light years out to have a view like that! If they can get that far outside their own galaxy, why do the Rebels risk detection by hanging around on planets instead of just grabbing the resources they need and returning to deep space?

Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice

exquisite tea posted:

Hey Star Wars people, I was just watching the Empire Strikes Back and noticed that at the very end, the Rebel fleet is orbiting the outskirts of the entire galaxy. They've got to be at least 100k light years out to have a view like that! If they can get that far outside their own galaxy, why do the Rebels risk detection by hanging around on planets instead of just grabbing the resources they need and returning to deep space?

1) It's an awesome shot.
2) Hanging out there all the time would make for a boring movie.

(I am clearly an inadequate Star Wars fan.)

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Ta gueule, laisse-moi finir.

Derek Dominoe posted:

1) It's an awesome shot.
2) Hanging out there all the time would make for a boring movie.

(I am clearly an inadequate Star Wars fan.)

If this was a normal fandom, this would be all the explanation a question like that would need.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

EddieDean posted:

Not a physicist, but doesn't all that stuff come in within like milliseconds of the big bang? Not much room to fit in two trilogies there...

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

EddieDean posted:

Makes about as much sense as an idea I had when I was a kid about why the laser blasts move slowly enough to see -- maybe everything's REALLY BIG in that galaxy. As in, people are a few percent of a light-second tall, and a TIE fighter is like the size of the moon.

And as long as we're sperging...

exquisite tea posted:

Hey Star Wars people, I was just watching the Empire Strikes Back and noticed that at the very end, the Rebel fleet is orbiting the outskirts of the entire galaxy.

Canon is unclear as to whether that actually was the galaxy, or some other spirally thing that just happened to look like it.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/The_galaxy#The_Empire_Strikes_Back_debate

e: It's always looked like a galaxy to me.

Powered Descent fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Nov 11, 2011

Flavor Bear
Jan 13, 2008

Bear Love is Best Love

feedmegin posted:

Not a physicist, but doesn't all that stuff come in within like milliseconds of the big bang? Not much room to fit in two trilogies there...

Maybe it wasn't a Big Bang.
Maybe it was a nice, slow, long bang.

EddieDean
Nov 17, 2009
See, while we're sperging, that whole nearby galaxy thing works too. It's literally a nearby galaxy. Like, that's the kind of thing you see when you look one way from a planet on the galactic rim. Early universe, guys.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

I always thought it was the galactic core.

Is there EU evidence of where the fleet was at that point?

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Carnaticum posted:

I just need to ask, what is with all the Stackpole love in this thread? I always thought the characters and dialogue in his X-wing novels were really boring. For some reason he loves Correlians, almost all of his characters are from Correlia and they all like to stand around Corran Horn raising eyebrows at each other.

Corran Horn always annoyed me. He saves the day every single time, he tells all the jokes and all the ladies fall in love with him. He also seems to 'die' almost every book, even in the one NJO book I read with him in it he apparently died after saving the day, only to show up laughing about the experience a couple chapters later.

There's also a section in the second X-wing book where everybody thinks he's dead, and so Rogue Squadron all change their uniforms to match his (he had his own special green one) and there's a few pages dedicated to everybody attending a state funeral. Wedge even has an internal monologue about how tragic it is, when Rogue Squadron has a notoriously high attrition rate and Corran was not the first casuality by far, even by the second book.

With I, Jedi (told from Corran's perspective of course), Stackpole makes his character the only smart one during the Jedi Academy events (not that Anderson had a good thing going there to start with.)

The wierd thing? Stackpole posed as Corran Horn for an trading card picture, despite "the fact he looks nothing like the character" http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Michael_A._Stackpole

"fixing up" somebody else's work from the first person? Hmmm...

Corran Horn is a perfect character, the best pilot ever pilot (with own special green x-wing!) who everybody loves. Even as a Jedi he gets his own special robes and lightsaber (it can extend to twice its length and change its colour or something) and has a special ability to absorb energy (although he has no telekinesis to balance things out?)

Compare this to the Wraith Squadron novels and its hilarious. I was flipping through the first one the other day, and Allston actually has Wedge say, "Not everyone can identify with Corran Horn of Correlian security..." All the characters work together and get their moments and they all have flaws. Not very deep stuff, but it beats self-insertion.

Yeah, I thought Corran was awesome when I was 14 but then on a recent reread he's an awful character. To Stackpole's credit I thought he did a great job at capturing a regular day to day alliance lifestyle. Then of course Corran turns out to be an awesome Jedi who teaches that Luke Skywalker a thing or two about Jediing

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Corran Horn was defiantly my favorite Jedi when I was a lad. He is a Mary Stu, but in Stackpoles defense. Jedi academy was just terrible and deserved to get poo poo on. And Corran lightsaber is awesome. The EU has lightwhips and lightknees and elbows people. A lightsaber that can extend to double length isnt that crazy and is more practical then all of that crap as well.

Energy absorption is preformed by Vader when he blocks Han's shots in ESB. Though the glove he used is indestructible as well...so its a choose your own cannon adventure. I pick energy absorption as a jedi power over "dark greetings"

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Bombadilillo posted:

I always thought it was the galactic core.

Is there EU evidence of where the fleet was at that point?

In Tales of the Bounty Hunters it's explicitly stated that they've left the galaxy in Zuckus' story.

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008

Powered Descent posted:

e: It's always looked like a galaxy to me.

Does this shot look like that in all the versions? I only remember seeing the Falcon fly off, not a cool galaxy as backdrop.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
Corran in X-Wing is surrounded by extremely capable people who also get their shot at being awesome. Look at how many times Ooryl saves the day and/or shows up Corran when he decides to take the lead.

I can tolerate that. It's all over-the-top action hero stuff, but having Corran surrounded by peers take a good deal of the sting away for me.

By I, Jedi? No.

deadhoarse
Oct 18, 2004

SirPhoebos posted:

So I was going through a bunch of old documents at work and scanning then shredding them, and I come across this name:

Mark Greivous, M.D.

:aaa:

He dodged a bullet by not climbing the ranks in the military.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.

Torael_7 posted:

Here you go.

It all made sense and seemed like a good theory until I got to this point:

quote:

Han is Chewbacca's front man. It's much better, and safer for him, if he doesn't know what's really going on. Chewie used to work with Lando Calrissian in a similar way but Lando wanted to settle down, so Chewie arranged for him to lose the Falcon in a card game to Han Solo, an even better choice as a partner. Han and Chewie's working method is pretty much what we see in the cantina scene: Chewie make the contacts and sets up the deals, then turns them over to Han, who haggles over the price and gives the final yea or nay. This lets Chewbacca wander the seamy underside of the galaxy pretty much at will, making contacts, gathering and passing information with no-one was the wiser, especially not Han.

So the Falcon was really Chewbacca's ship, but to keep his front as a spy for the rebellion he has to pretend it really belongs to Lando, and then Han? Just seems a little ridiculous that he would go to such great lengths for so many years just to remain undercover. And why be an undercover smuggler? It's not like Han or Lando was working for the Empire or anything. He could have passed messages in other ways.

Gianthogweed fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Nov 12, 2011