Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates
So, JoePos is...a small-market baseball fan? :monocle:

I don't think I've ever seen him say a thing about the Royals or Yankees that I disagree with, except he likes Derek Jeter for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tavarin
May 10, 2003

I am definitely a madman with a box
Posnanski has an article up that does a better job articulating his comments in the classroom than just a bunch of tweets.

http://joeposnanski.si.com/2011/11/10/the-end-of-paterno/#more-8533

Tavarin fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Nov 11, 2011

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
I don't think they do, actually. It doesn't really give a good explanation as to why we should give Paterno the benefit of the doubt, and it SURELY doesn't explain his loving Katrina comment.

ZerodotJander
Dec 29, 2004

Chinaman, explain!
You give Paterno the benefit of the doubt because it's what you're supposed to do. Our entire justice system is founded on this idea.

The Katrina thing is really bad though.

The Collector
Aug 9, 2011

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe.
Rats raining down in the night during the Stanley Cup finals.
All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.
Pillbug

LARGE THE HEAD posted:

Deadspin is right: JoePos' book on JoePa took a twist in a direction that came utterly out of left field for him. If he continues on with the book and produces what could be the best writing of his career, JoePos will come out of this looking better. His statements on the matter, however, are...troubling.

I liked Plaschke's piece because, boiled down to one line, it's not specifically about what's happening in State College. His thesis: If you don't think this sort of incident could be replicated at any other major college football program in the country, you are as naive as the Penn State administrators.

wouldn't happen at the U.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

Nut Bunnies posted:

I don't think they do, actually. It doesn't really give a good explanation as to why we should give Paterno the benefit of the doubt, and it SURELY doesn't explain his loving Katrina comment.

Why shouldn't we?

I don't think you're going to get anyone here attempting to defend or explain away comparing this to an administration handling Katrina. Everyone knows that's a boneheaded thing to say.

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut

Badfinger posted:

Why shouldn't we?

He testified to a grand jury that he was made aware of Sandusky's behavior in 2002 at the latest - I don't think it's surprising that people aren't inclined to give him the benefit of anything.

I'm really disappointed in Posnanski. I understand he has a book to write and everything but he doesn't have to blast the media for daring to be outraged over pedophilia about it.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

ZerodotJander posted:

You give Paterno the benefit of the doubt because it's what you're supposed to do. Our entire justice system is founded on this idea.

This has nothing to do with justice. Joe Paterno is not on trial. It's undeniable he was aware of the 2002 incident and likely the 1998 and 2000 incidents. His response was to take away Sandusky's locker room keys (but not his office or access to the team and other facilities) and to tell Sandusky to keep the kids away from campus. You don't need to prove criminal culpability to write an opinion piece about that complete failure of morals and human decency.

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

Out beyond winning and losing, there is a field.

I will meet you there.

the talent deficit posted:

This has nothing to do with justice. Joe Paterno is not on trial. It's undeniable he was aware of the 2002 incident and likely the 1998 and 2000 incidents. His response was to take away Sandusky's locker room keys (but not his office or access to the team and other facilities) and to tell Sandusky to keep the kids away from campus. You don't need to prove criminal culpability to write an opinion piece about that complete failure of morals and human decency.

I might've missed something in the indictment, but that was Curley's reaction, not Paterno's. Curley took away Sandusky's keys after Sandusky was caught anally raping a 10-year-old boy by McQueary. Paterno merely reported what McQueary had told him.

this whole thing is hosed to high heaven.

stuart scott
Mar 9, 2007

Yeah that was the AD's reaction. But Paterno never followed up, and never took it any higher after it was clear nothing would be done.

I agree with the talent deficit in that I keep hearing about "innocent until proven guilty in this country!" from people, which is true, but totally irrelevant to Paterno.

ZerodotJander
Dec 29, 2004

Chinaman, explain!
Innocent until proven guilty isn't just a procedure that we follow in the courts, it's a reflection of the fundamental values that the Constitution was written around and that Americans are supposed to hold.

Joe Paterno probably doesn't deserve any sympathy though, the longer this goes the worse it's looking.

midwat
May 6, 2007

Not sure why everyone's praising Plaschke's article. It's OK, but there's some trademark Plaschke dumbness in there.

Like this:

Plaschke posted:

Amid a college football season filled with cries from angry athletes demanding to be paid, will people look at the Penn State crisis and realize that a player payroll would only make the athletic department walls taller and thicker?

Yes, because paying athletes would make child rape... more likely? It would somehow delay its disclosure (despite the fact that disclosure was already delayed by eight-plus years in this case)?

This doesn't make a lick of sense, and is in the article just so Plaschke can conflate this scandal and the claims of his ideological opponents.

Plaschke makes the argument that money has allowed the football program to insulate itself. He then argues that paying the students (and thus taking money from the program) will allow the program to insulate itself. Can't have it both ways.

Paying players has absolutely nothing to do with this scandal. Plaschke wrote that paragraph just so he can say "take that!" to people who disagree with him about an entirely unrelated matter.

midwat fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Nov 11, 2011

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
But seriously, gently caress Joe Paterno, gently caress Penn State, and most of all, gently caress Sandusky.

There, I have written all that needs to be said about the subject.

Medical Sword
May 23, 2005

Goghing, Goghing, gone

ZerodotJander posted:

Innocent until proven guilty isn't just a procedure that we follow in the courts, it's a reflection of the fundamental values that the Constitution was written around and that Americans are supposed to hold.

Joe Paterno probably doesn't deserve any sympathy though, the longer this goes the worse it's looking.

if you think there are "values Americans are supposed to hold" you are probably a hokey dope

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."
The process that is due on the moral condemnation a powerful figure who admits to actively refusing to be the whistleblower on child molestation is, well, basically none. There's a Latin phrase called "res ipsa loquitur" which translates roughly to "the thing speaks for itself" which I find rather apt here. The facts as Paterno has himself laid out are more than enough to bring a pox on his house.

The legal principle of constitutional due process does not apply to all life.

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

Out beyond winning and losing, there is a field.

I will meet you there.

jeffersonlives posted:

The process that is due on the moral condemnation a powerful figure who admits to actively refusing to be the whistleblower on child molestation is, well, basically none. There's a Latin phrase called "res ipsa loquitur" which translates roughly to "the thing speaks for itself" which I find rather apt here. The facts as Paterno has himself laid out are more than enough to bring a pox on his house.

The legal principle of constitutional due process does not apply to all life.

you're gonna start needing a translator soon.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

The broken bones posted:

It's also a legal principle involving negligence, that's the only reason I know it. Thank the gods.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates
Meanwhile, over in TG we're discussing a bunch of Magic: the Gathering players up in arms that a pro recently got a lifetime ban from the game.

For posting on a messageboard that he was going to rape the Director of Organized Play.

People are loving idiots.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
Poz has a good point in that Paterno still has done tons of good things for the community and we shouldn't treat him as some sort of inhuman all around monster, but I'm not sure anyone is saying that so he's kind of strawmanny in this regard.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

We can talk about exemplary journalism here too, right? From Jane Leavy, courtesy Grantland:

quote:

It is in the nature of institutions to be conservative in the most old-fashioned sense of the word — acting to conserve a reputation, an infrastructure, a Golden Calf worshipped at the expense of common decency. Thus, settlements in sexual harassment cases are reached with "confidentiality agreements" that shackle the truth. (See the National Restaurant Association.) Thus, the false idol of a football program in Happy Valley trumps the sad, awful facts of the alleged crimes perpetrated on Victims 1-8.

It is in the nature of childhood sexual abuse for victims, perpetrators, and witnesses to want to disassociate themselves from the act. That's why the law requires grown-ups to act like grown-ups. That's why Tim Curley, the Penn State athletic director, took a leave of absence and Gary Schultz, vice president for finance and business, retired last week after being charged with perjury and failure to report charges of serial abuse in athletic facilities on the campus of a publicly financed institution of higher learning.

That's why it was so patently offensive when Joe Paterno, college football's Mr. Clean, took refuge early this week in having fulfilled his legal obligation by informing his superiors. And more offensive, days later, as the full horror of the story emerged, when he belatedly declared his intention to leave at the end of the season on his terms, dignity intact.

That's why less than 12 hours after he announced his resignation, saying that he was "absolutely devastated" by "one of the great sorrows of my life," the board of trustees acted in loco parentis, firing the patron saint of Happy Valley — who was, after all, just a football coach — and the university president with misplaced loyalties effective immediately. The grown-ups finally decided to act like grown-ups.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

The broken bones posted:

Res ipsa is like a first week of torts thing, and also the go-to fancy lawyer sounding thing for law students to impress/annoy their friends with.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

MorningView posted:

Res ipsa is like a first week of torts thing, and also the go-to fancy lawyer sounding thing for law students to impress/annoy their friends with.

Also has lots of easy pun potential.

Goatman Sacks
Apr 4, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Just noticed this thread, a bit of an old story, but the St. Louis local paper's main sports columnist had a full page article after the card's game 1 victory about how smart La Russa is because he pinch hit for the pitcher with a guy on third in the 6th inning. With two outs in a tie game. I guess it was a good change of pace from him making GBS threads on everyone on the Blues except Halak, for a change.

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

the talent deficit posted:

We can talk about exemplary journalism here too, right? From Jane Leavy, courtesy Grantland:

Read that today. A drat fine piece; highly recommended.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
If anyone here is a journalism student interested in sports, this seems like an interesting opportunity.

quote:

The 2012 Sports Journalism Institute is a nine-week training and internship program for college students interested in sports journalism careers. The Institute is designed to attract talented students to journalism through opportunities in sports reporting and editing and enhance racial and gender diversity in sports departments of newspapers nationwide. The program will begin with classes June 1-8, 2012 at the University of Missouri in Columbia, Mo.

Editing and online candidates are urged to apply.

I don't know who's involved, but I went to Mizzou and Greg Bowers, their sports editor/professor, is my favorite person alive.

morestuff fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Nov 16, 2011

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

morestuff posted:

If anyone here is a journalism student interested in sports, this seems like an interesting opportunity.

I don't know who's involved, but I went to Mizzou and Greg Bowers, their sports editor/professor, is my favorite person alive.

I did something very similar to that at mizzou a decade ago and found it pretty worthless. Not to mention columbia is a loving wasteland in the summer (possibly during the school year too). On the other hand it was a decade ago and maybe it is actually useful beyond allowing you a bunch of networking opportunities.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I visited Columbia a few times during the summer when my friend was going to Mizzou and I always had a good time

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

FairGame posted:

I did something very similar to that at mizzou a decade ago and found it pretty worthless. Not to mention columbia is a loving wasteland in the summer (possibly during the school year too). On the other hand it was a decade ago and maybe it is actually useful beyond allowing you a bunch of networking opportunities.

Well, it nets you a paid eight-week internship, which can't hurt. I should probably have pointed out that the program is targeted towards women and minorities, though.

MorningView posted:

I visited Columbia a few times during the summer when my friend was going to Mizzou and I always had a good time

I took summer classes a few years, and it was quiet but nice. Having most of my friends around helped.

morestuff fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Nov 16, 2011

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
I could write a book of just bad Cleveland media tweets:

@TonyGrossi: Great QBs are great in the red zone. They lust for the end zone.

FYI, Shurmur called 6 straight runs in the red zone.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

Bigass Moth posted:

I could write a book of just bad Cleveland media tweets:

@TonyGrossi: Great QBs are great in the red zone. They lust for the end zone.

FYI, Shurmur called 6 straight runs in the red zone.

Guess he should've audibled. :smug:

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Mornacale posted:

Guess he should've audibled. :smug:

Jokes on you, he's not allowed!

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

Bigass Moth posted:

Jokes on you, he's not allowed!

Pfft, a true leader would have way too much lust to take no for an answer.

Accident Underwater
Oct 21, 2005

You look like a star!

Mornacale posted:

Pfft, a true leader would have way too much lust to take no for an answer.

That's why Ben Roethlisberger is so good.

Okposolypse
Jan 1, 2009

by Debbie Metallica
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/f...ksEnabled=false

This is one hell of an article on Marcus Dixon. Didn't even know his story.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.
AJ Daulerio is taking over Gawker, which fits his kind of skeeze perfectly. Tommy Craggs will be running Deadspin.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates
I didn't think Gawker could get any worse.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, there's plenty of other balls in the sea. Plus, you're not very talented.
That has to be addition by subtraction for Deadspin, right?

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

AlleyViper posted:

That has to be addition by subtraction for Deadspin, right?

I don't think that applies to things that are irreparably broken.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Craggs actually puts out some good stuff on occasion, so if they move more towards the kinds of things he did and away from all the petty tabloid poo poo Daulerio loved I think it'll be a positive move.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Williams
Aug 25, 2005
As long as deadspin doesn't post any more articles like that lovely attempt at a Fear and Loathing... style narrative about the accident at the Yale game tailgate