Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Incidentally, the film that made me consider cinema as a serious art form is getting a Blu Ray release and a 3D conversion. :downs:

Seriously though, I'm buying it.

Incidentally, that link is almost a year old. There hasn't been any official announcement or concrete news of a release of The Room.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

Fag Boy Jim posted:

yeah. You probably won't like all of them (Anderson is one of those directors where even people who love him usually dislike one of his films, though which one that is varies a ton), but they're all worth seeing.

I like them all pretty equally. Oddly Bottle Rocket was my favorite for years, and is still up there (behind The Life Aquatic) solely because I like the character interaction in it so much. Definitely not the best directed, missing a lot of what makes Wes Anderson films so fun to watch, doesn't have an incredible soundtrack like the rest, but what is there I love.

Darjeeling is probably my least favorite, but I still love it.

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart

Jay Dub posted:

Sadly, no.

Though I have definitely declared my love for Die Hard in a room full of film students and felt like a total tool for it.

...Actually, no. Die Hard is a work of genius. gently caress 'em.

Today's filmmakers could learn a lot from Die Hard.

Multiplesarcasm
Mar 3, 2006

a corduroy explosion.

FitFortDanga posted:

Incidentally, that link is almost a year old. There hasn't been any official announcement or concrete news of a release of The Room.

It'll be out by Christmas 2011 though...

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Asnorban posted:

Darjeeling is probably my least favorite, but I still love it.
I have talked to a few people who were not very jazzed about Darjeeling, and it's disappointing because of how much work went into it. But rewatching it a few times, the only scene that really syncs up with Anderson's other films in the quirky department is the flashback to the day of their Dad's funeral. So I can see how people would be expecting something different.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Die Hard is the best Christmas movie ever. :colbert:

Scrooged is second.

E.G.G.S.
Apr 15, 2006

... I too proclaimed my love for Die Hard in a film class. They didnt know what hit them.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

FitFortDanga posted:

Slightly more recent interview from June of 2011:

Tommy Wiseau posted:

Right now we're fully booked for this year, but next year we have another tour. It's called "'The Room' Blu-ray Tour." We'll be releasing "The Room" on Blu-ray and we'll be promoting that. At the same time, and you can stress this, I encourage everyone to see it in the theater first. It's the best way to see it. I always say, 'You can laugh, you can cry, you can express yourself, but please don't hurt each other.'"

I'd be a fool to trust Wiseau, but I refuse to believe that he wouldn't keep milking this thing like there's no tomorrow. As he should.

But yeah, he's been saying that for a long time now so who knows.

I cannot believe that I care.

Dissapointed Owl fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Nov 11, 2011

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

Safe Driver posted:

... I too proclaimed my love for Die Hard in a film class. They didnt know what hit them.

In my English classes, I only get Twilight, Harry Potter, and Stephen King.

I am the brave soul who must stand up for Faulkner.

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart

Twin Cinema posted:

I am the brave soul who must stand up for Faulkner.

Godspeed.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Twin Cinema posted:

They must have a field day with this:

"Harry Potter is about confronting fears, finding inner strength and doing what is right in the face of adversity. Twilight is about how important it is to have a boyfriend." - Stephen King

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
The Tom Cruise Blu-Ray Collection is on sale at Fry's. It's a preorder that ships November 15th

$19.99 for 5 movies (Collateral/Days Of Thunder/Minority Report/Top Gun/War Of The Worlds). That's $3.99 a movie.

Budget shipping is $2.99 (at least for me) and sales tax for AZ, CA, GA, IN, IL, TN, TX , NV, and WA

http://www.frys.com/product/6788845?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

That's $56.46 cheaper than buying them separately (at least on Amazon)

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Nov 11, 2011

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Tony Danza Claus posted:

Die Hard is the best Christmas movie ever. :colbert:

Scrooged is second.

See this opinion? It's almost perfect. The problem is, however, that National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation is second, followed very closely by Scrooged.

Lee Harvey Oswald
Mar 17, 2007

by exmarx
You're pretty much an rear end in a top hat if you don't like Die Hard.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Jay Dub posted:

Sadly, no.

Though I have definitely declared my love for Die Hard in a room full of film students and felt like a total tool for it.

...Actually, no. Die Hard is a work of genius. gently caress 'em.

Yeah man, gently caress those ivory tower eggheads for not liking Die Hard. (Like half of them are in there BECAUSE they love movies like Die Hard, you jackass. 80s action and comedy are a common denominator of film school conversations.)

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
Die Hard is really such a well made film that it is taken for granted because of it's genre.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Yeah I didn't know anyone in my film classes who wasn't a fan of Die Hard. :confused:

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...

penismightier posted:

Yeah man, gently caress those ivory tower eggheads for not liking Die Hard. (Like half of them are in there BECAUSE they love movies like Die Hard, you jackass. 80s action and comedy are a common denominator of film school conversations.)

Yup, that's me. Lording my appreciation of a popular action movie over lesser plebes who'd rather keep talking about Tarantino or whatever.

:jerkbag:

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Jay Dub posted:

Yup, that's me. Lording my appreciation of a popular action movie over lesser plebes who'd rather keep talking about Tarantino or whatever.

:jerkbag:

That's straight up 100% what you just did.

Dead Snoopy posted:

Die Hard is really such a well made film that it is taken for granted because of it's genre.

By who, exactly? I can't think of ANYBODY under 35 or so that doesn't love Die Hard, and the ones that love it most are the ones that love film the most.

penismightier fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Nov 12, 2011

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
Is this thread really degenerating into:

Poster A: I love Die Hard!
Poster B: No, I love Die Hard!
Poster A: No, I love it more!
Poster B: STOP PENIS WAVING

Granted, this image is going on my Christmas Cards:

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

I used to love Die Hard, now I just like it.

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~
You know what movie I love more than Die Hard? Die Hard 2: Die Harder. Because it's way harder than the first one.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP
The New and Improved Die-Hard Megathread

This is probably a good time to ask: is the Die Hard blu-ray worth a drat? It's got a 3.5 for visuals on blu-ray.com, but they don't have much to say about it beyond 'it's an old movie, so it doesn't look as good as a new one.'

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Wasn't it Die Hard where they released Alan Rickman's cable early purposely to get a natural reaction from his death scene? I mean, that's real film making.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
American Beauty dropped down to $10.99 on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ASIN=B003VJTGLQ

--------

Blu-Ray.com also posted their reviews of both Three Colors Trilogy and Looney Tunes: Volume One.

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Three-Colors-Trilogy-Blu-ray/28206/#Review

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Looney-Tunes-Volume-One-Blu-ray/26307/#Review

Topper Harley
Jul 6, 2005
You have the whitest white part of the eyes I've ever seen. Do you floss?

codyclarke posted:

The New and Improved Die-Hard Megathread

This is probably a good time to ask: is the Die Hard blu-ray worth a drat? It's got a 3.5 for visuals on blu-ray.com, but they don't have much to say about it beyond 'it's an old movie, so it doesn't look as good as a new one.'

I haven't read the reviews, but the Die Hard blu-ray is really great. The sound is amazing and the picture quality surpassed my expectations based on various DVD editions I owned over the years.

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

Wow, Bob, wow. Fire walk with me.

FitFortDanga posted:

I used to love Die Hard, now I just like it.

I used to love Die Hard. I still do, but I used to too.

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

It is a while still till Sunrise - and in the daytime I sleep, my dear fellow, I sleep the very deepest of sleeps...
Stop this Die Hard derail.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Sporadic posted:

Blu-Ray.com also posted their reviews of both Three Colors Trilogy and Looney Tunes: Volume One.

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Three-Colors-Trilogy-Blu-ray/28206/#Review

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Looney-Tunes-Volume-One-Blu-ray/26307/#Review

I have both of these pre-ordered, but I can't figure out which one I'm looking forward to more.

Oh, who am I kidding, it's the Looney Tunes set.

YOIKS, AND AWAY

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Cartoons in high definition are just awesome.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Amazon is ramping up for Black Friday.

Braveheart/Gladiator 2-pack - $13.99

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ASIN=B00511N794

Firefly: The Complete Series - $18.99

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ASIN=B001EN71CW

Top Gear: The Complete Season 15 - $15.49

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ASIN=B004EQAV2S

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Nov 13, 2011

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

They've updated the trailer to Star Trek: The Next Generation to add some footage from the restoration. New stuff begins around 1:19. Looks awesome.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

akadajet posted:

They've updated the trailer to Star Trek: The Next Generation to add some footage from the restoration. New stuff begins around 1:19. Looks awesome.

That is amazing, can't wait for this.
Footage looks amazing and 7.1 surround sound... Who even has 7.1? Who cares, it's cool.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

akadajet posted:

How am I supposed to go about the rest of my day with this erection?

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

TheScott2K posted:

How am I supposed to go about the rest of my day with this erection?

Your custom title provides...

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
Wowza...that was sexier than I could have possibly imagined. The shine on Picard's head is immaculate.

Lincoln`s Wax
May 1, 2000
My other, other car is a centipede filled with vaginas.
It really does look amazing, just the detail in the fabrics and Worf's sash alone blew me away. The only potentially not-so-great part is that any flaws in makeup and set design will be really noticeable but I don't mind it.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Despite myself, I'm really excited for the re-composited special effects, if only so I can see more of the ship models.
Plus, HD Picard obviously.

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS
Close-ups of Data will be downright frightening. I'm really interested in what they do with the episode about that addictive game. There were lots of effects in that one. I've got a list of my favourites. Can't wait to rewatch them, but it'll be years for all the seasons to come out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

mod sassinator posted:

Cartoons in high definition are just awesome.

On this train of thought: CGI animation in general seems to benefit the most from high definition.

• Locked thread