Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

I wonder if we can pay Donald Gibb to follow these people around, and basically shame them into submission.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Walliard
Dec 29, 2010

Oppan Windfall Style
Bunch of answers.

Highlight:

quote:

How about if I introduce 10,000 new trolls? Watch this.

I hereby declare all of your fantrolls to be canon.

Yes, even the lovely ones.

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

I admire man's ability to see beauty in everything! Even a flame!

Walliard posted:

Bunch of answers.

Highlight:

Hahahaha Andrew Hussie is my new favorite person.

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."

Walliard posted:

Bunch of answers.

Highlight:

Madness.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
People make fantrolls?

There aren't even anymore Zodiac signs left. This just sounds like the worst thing ever.

marsattacks
Apr 2, 2011

Nilbop posted:

People make fantrolls?

There aren't even anymore Zodiac signs left. This just sounds like the worst thing ever.

It is.

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

Nilbop posted:

People make fantrolls?

You weren't aware of this? You privileged soul. What I wouldn't give.

(They often use the following: The Ophiuchus symbol, planetary symbols, or, way more often than they should, kanji characters meaning specific ridiculous things.)

QueerPope
May 1, 2010

Meow.

dumb brunette posted:

You weren't aware of this? You privileged soul. What I wouldn't give.

(They often use the following: The Ophiuchus symbol, planetary symbols, or, way more often than they should, kanji characters meaning specific ridiculous things.)

They also often just doodle something they think looks cool.

HalfHazard
Mar 29, 2010

So that triceratops troll is now canon? I can dig it

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
What the fantroll creators don't understand is that the entire symbol library that young trolls picked from as wigglers carried over in our universe's collective unconscious, but in a cruel twist, similar to how we devised playing cards and have a blatant disregard for modesty concerning buckets, the symbols were reduced to being a ubiquitous computer typeface that no one really uses all that often.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Of course, the lovely stories and details people write about their fan trolls are not canon

They all are just, you know, there. Existing in Alternia, or possibly a part of Her Condensce's invasion fleet. And now they are all dead.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.

Walliard posted:

Bunch of answers.

Highlight:

On the bright side, this means that the goontrolls are now canon. I cannot wait for the Bard of Ham to butter himself up.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

QueerPope posted:

They also often just doodle something they think looks cool.

Pretty much half the fantrolls use the biohazard symbol as their sign.

sansuki
May 17, 2003

Zooming in on Jane's sylladex card, it says "recipe". I bet you she has a cookbook, not sylladex.

urf
Jul 12, 2009

Hussie posted:

The thing is, Homestuck is both a story and a puzzle, by design and by definition. If asked to define it, “a story that’s also a puzzle” is as close to true as any answer I’d give.

Should all entertainment be like that? No way. But something should be like that, because something like that should exist. That’s why puzzles exist, because puzzles are cool sometimes, and are challenging. We don’t go up to a jigsaw puzzle and go, “why the gently caress is this in so many different PIECES, what kind of IDIOT would break this nice picture into TINY LITTLE BITS?!!” Nor do we want all of our nice pictures broken into bits like that. Some we just want to hang on walls and look at.

But unlike a jigsaw puzzle, there’s much to enjoy without having to solve it. Fun characters and silly moments. But if you turn your brain on, you can engage with the complexity and depth. If you turn it ALL the way on, you can get everything, and solve the puzzle. There is a range of ways to interface with it, from the casual to the maniacal. Failing to grasp everything shouldn’t preclude basic enjoyment, nor is it a symptom of failure by either the reader or the story.

I just love the way he explained it. It is now my Go-To Post for folks who say "I didn't figure out *this* part of HomeStuck THUS IT IS WRITTEN BADLY"

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Hussie just made Herpus Derpus canon. I think we've reached the pinnacle of Homestuck.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
Someone repost all the Goontrolls please, I missed them the first time around.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

sansuki posted:

Zooming in on Jane's sylladex card, it says "recipe". I bet you she has a cookbook, not sylladex.

Having to mix arbitrary ingredients together to retrieve items from her sylladex would be fitting I suppose. Suddenly, running out of candy sprinkles actually heightens the tension when you need some to bake up that SBURB ENVELOPE recipe!

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

sansuki posted:

Yeah, I think this is right. Cookbook modus! Though that spoon on the bed is still probably going to be her weapon.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

hussie posted:

sprinkletit asked you:

what’s the sweet bro and hella jeff moive plot?

I don’t know, but I think plot is probably the wrong word.

Opening the film with a ten minute montage of bro falling down some stairs would probably be the conservative approach. Just some really solid stage setting, established in classical film making tradition to butter up the critics. It also clearly sets up a strong antagonist for the moive, stairs. It is a foe which is never bested, for you see, the film is an American tragedy.

Other than that, probably lots of profane non sequitur and hug bumps issued by Wilson and Stiller, who will have been heavily coached in their acting to achieve a sort of rigid, surrealistic demeanor just off the mark of any heretofore observed human behavior. Like the uncanny valley of mannerism. Lace heavily with artifacts, visual and audible, and don’t be surprised if at some point a 20 minute clip of a completely different movie is inserted, uncut, flipped vertically, and tortured with various Photoshop filters. Finally, the climax will be the stunning resolution to a series of dilemmas not previously introduced in the film, all of which center around the inability of either character to perform simple motor functions. Then we see oversaturated low quality footage of Tony Hawk doing grinds while the credits roll, which contain not a single word which isn’t “gently caress.”

Also, I think Geromy would be this guy.

help me I cannot stop laughing just at the thought of a ten minute montage of Bro/Ben Stiller falling down stairs, and I'm afraid to read the rest of it

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Someone repost all the Goontrolls please, I missed them the first time around.

Group 1 on Legislacerator's DA Group 2

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Wow. Just read an entire blog about somebody reading the entirety of Homestuck over the course of 2 months or so. They started out basically roasting it. And then changed their mind once the story got underway. It's a hilarious read, but it's also kind of nostalgic. I can remember going through a lot of this stuff. It's been a hell of a ride, hasn't it?

http://what-the-gently caress-is-homestuck.tumblr.com/how

E:VVVVVVV I KNOW. I think they've still got a few things confused, so somebody buy that woman a membership so we can motherfucking enlighten her.

Tollymain fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Nov 12, 2011

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.

Tollymain posted:

Wow. Just read an entire blog about somebody reading the entirety of Homestuck over the course of 2 months or so. They started out basically roasting it. And then changed their mind once the story got underway. It's a hilarious read, but it's also kind of nostalgic. I can remember going through a lot of this stuff. It's been a hell of a ride, hasn't it?

This is amazing.

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?
I'm dense, because the first time around I didn't catch that MUSTACHIOED FUNNYMEN describes grandpa and GALS OF CERULEAN COMPLEXION fits Nannasprite's description :doh:

MyFaceBeHi
Apr 9, 2008

I was popular, once.

atomicthumbs posted:

help me I cannot stop laughing just at the thought of a ten minute montage of Bro/Ben Stiller falling down stairs, and I'm afraid to read the rest of it

Basically it's the best movie ever and the very fact that it hasn't been done already, IN 3D, just proves there is something wrong with this world!

Although, I'm sure some enterprising homestuck fan out there with plenty of time on their hands will do it. Eventually.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Tollymain posted:

E:VVVVVVV I KNOW. I think they've still got a few things confused, so somebody buy that woman a membership so we can motherfucking enlighten her.

This would be kind of funny if it weren't for all the stupid 4chan pictures and memes.

Amateur Sketch
Feb 23, 2008

a kaleidoscopic supernova
of all your hopes and dreams
I would love to see SBAHJ: THE MOIVE come to fruition. The whole idea of an uncanny valley of acting just sounds hilarious to me. That, and it would probably be hailed at film festivals for toeing the line between "art" and "utter bullshit".

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Walliard posted:

Bunch of answers.

Jake English is indeed a really pulpy, badass name, as is befitting someone so enamored of firearms and fisticuffs. Here's hoping we get a lot of JAKE ENGLISH AND THE (SOMETHING) OF (SOMETHING) vintage poster style fanart in the vein of that time-traveling demon one, because with a name like that he's asking for it.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
If I had millions of dollars just lying around doing nothing I would definitely make A SBaHF moive.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Tollymain posted:

Found this yesterday because I'm a gibbering manchild with nothing to do and I NEED MORE HOMESTUCK :byodood: HUSSIE UPDATE FASTER and yeah, it is pretty much the best thing ever. There's a very noticable transition from "Eh, this poo poo's not that good :jerkbag:" to "Wow, this is awesome! :haw:" sometime around act 3 in the blogging.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Lupus Rufus posted:

When Karkat created the trolls and their ancestors ectobiologically, and they were sent through the defense portals, they were sent both to their own universe and the pre-scratch universe. Likewise, it's implied that the same thing happened with John and co., except everyone was sent from the pre-scratch universe's incipisphere.

Why does a glitch have to make sense? I really can't get over people trying to rationalise the origin of the pre-scratch trolls when it makes much more narrative sense for them to simply not have one, the message being OH poo poo YALL CAUSALITY IS SERIOUSLY loving BROKEN KNOW WHAT THAT MEANS ITS LORD MOTHERFUCKING ENGLISH IS WHAT.

Plus as far as I remember the only thing that suggests they came from anywhere at all is "this session was not the one in which they had been spawned" which could just as easily mean they found their way into the wrong session, or were spawned in a different troll session from the same period, or didn't come from anywhere at all. But yeah, while you can [kinda sorta] explain it away with shenanigans, it has a lot more impact if you leave it completely incongruous.

Gabriel Pope posted:

Jake English is indeed a really pulpy, badass name, as is befitting someone so enamored of firearms and fisticuffs. Here's hoping we get a lot of JAKE ENGLISH AND THE (SOMETHING) OF (SOMETHING) vintage poster style fanart in the vein of that time-traveling demon one, because with a name like that he's asking for it.

Just replace [protagonist's name] in any and all Clive Cussler books with Jake English, that should get you off to a pretty good start.

Ograbme
Jul 26, 2003

D--n it, how he nicks 'em

FaceTime posted:

Basically it's the best movie ever and the very fact that it hasn't been done already, IN 3D, just proves there is something wrong with this world!
It's like the jpeg artifacts were coming right at me!

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Pastrymancy posted:

I'm dense, because the first time around I didn't catch that MUSTACHIOED FUNNYMEN describes grandpa and GALS OF CERULEAN COMPLEXION fits Nannasprite's description :doh:

Well the Gals of Cerulean Complexion also describes a thing Grandpa Harley had going on as well. We are not sure what the deal with that is.

Daius
Sep 10, 2010

Tollymain posted:

My favourite part is where Tumblr is a shithole and can't help but spoil most of the future developments for him. :downs:

Lupus Rufus
Aug 11, 2008

Prepare for trouble!

And make it a double!

Renaissance Robot posted:

Why does a glitch have to make sense? I really can't get over people trying to rationalise the origin of the pre-scratch trolls when it makes much more narrative sense for them to simply not have one, the message being OH poo poo YALL CAUSALITY IS SERIOUSLY loving BROKEN KNOW WHAT THAT MEANS ITS LORD MOTHERFUCKING ENGLISH IS WHAT.

Plus as far as I remember the only thing that suggests they came from anywhere at all is "this session was not the one in which they had been spawned" which could just as easily mean they found their way into the wrong session, or were spawned in a different troll session from the same period, or didn't come from anywhere at all. But yeah, while you can [kinda sorta] explain it away with shenanigans, it has a lot more impact if you leave it completely incongruous.

I don't think it's really that complicated here? When the meteors leave the defense portals in the Incipisphere (whether they are coming from the pre-Scratch Incipisphere or post-Scratch doesn't matter), the game seemingly makes two copies of the meteor, one sent to the pre-Scratch universe and one sent to the post-Scratch universe. This seems hinted at pretty deliberately with the conspicuous presence of all the meteor baby artifacts in the start of Act 6. Up until now we weren't given any clues as to the specifics of how baby spawning happened in two universes.

Of course, this all makes me wonder if the Sufferer truly "remembered" anything from his past life. If post-Scratch John is even a character, I doubt he'd "remember" a drat thing about becoming a god. Characters seeing visions of other locations in spacetime has been a thing happening in this story since drat near its inception, though, and there's numerous ways for this to happen. So mystery solved I guess?

Dark Grapefruit
Jun 3, 2006

All cans are welcome and equal in your city, regardless of can content, and whether empty or full.

atomicthumbs posted:

I would have thought Snoop Dogg would be the obvious choice for Geromy but Donald Glover would just be amazing.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Daius posted:

My favourite part is where Tumblr is a shithole and can't help but spoil most of the future developments for him. :downs:

I payed a small visit to the MSPA section of a certain image board and was greeted by a memorial thread for the Exiles. I went to the MSPA wiki and the featured article at the time said that Dad was John's brother.

I think that's what propelled me to blaze through Act 1 to [S] Cascade in five days.

Battle Strudel
Jan 1, 2010
Not sure if anyone has mentioned this, but weren't the main kids playing a SBURB beta? Jane's examine room spiel says she's got the alpha. Considering how loaded those words are in Homestuck, I wonder if that's significant...

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Battle Strudel posted:

Not sure if anyone has mentioned this, but weren't the main kids playing a SBURB beta? Jane's examine room spiel says she's got the alpha. Considering how loaded those words are in Homestuck, I wonder if that's significant...

That's because, thanks to the Scratch, this is now the alpha timeline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

Color Printer posted:

That's because, thanks to the Scratch, this is now the alpha timeline.

Does this mean the kids from the old universe are doomed, like all those non-alpha timeline Daves?