Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
I was sent this picture by someone who found it on Stumbleupon. Does anyone know where it's from? I must find this place!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diseased Dick Guy
May 14, 2011

The pit is open.

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

I was sent this picture by someone who found it on Stumbleupon. Does anyone know where it's from? I must find this place!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aogashima

edit: Oops, I had linked you to the mobile version.

Diseased Dick Guy fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Nov 12, 2011

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:
Does anyone know how the hell those ATM lobby card-readers work? Earlier today I unlocked one with my Student ID. I guess I kinda assumed it was like getting into my apt. complex, so I pulled out my ID, put it in, and entered. I didn't notice until I went to pull out my debt card that I'd used my student ID.

I assumed those things checked, perhaps, a routing number or something stored in your debit/atm card's magnetic strip to control access.

So, is this particular card-lock broken, or is this some sort of open secret?

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967
Can anyone tell me what this flag says:

(Click for Big)

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

vanessa posted:

No, knitting needles do not need a "visible project" on them:
http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/assistant/editorial_1252.shtm

If you think there will be problems, just print out a copy of the above page and bring it with you.

Remember that airport security depends a lot on the country you're in. German and English security is very thorough, whereas when I flew out of Syria last year we accidentally brought half-liter water bottles onto the plane from outside...

Harvey Wine Time
May 15, 2011

by angerbeet
Where can I buy an iphone 4s without a contract in the uk in the next ten days?

The apple store says 1-2 weeks plus 3 days shipping which seems a bit risky. I don't mind paying a premium to have one before Nov 24.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

BonHair posted:

Remember that airport security depends a lot on the country you're in. German and English security is very thorough, whereas when I flew out of Syria last year we accidentally brought half-liter water bottles onto the plane from outside...

When I flew Kobe-Okinawa, I took a bunch of water bottles through with me and nobody gave a poo poo as long as I put them on the little testing platform.

Kritzkrieg Kop
Nov 4, 2009
Sometimes airport security really depends on the people you get. One time a guard wanted to throw out my toothpaste because it was too big, but then another guard came over and was like, "what the hell are you chucking that out for, give it back to him."
Then other times they seem unsure whether they should chuck out my bottle of contact solution or not so they go ask each other.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

tarepanda posted:

It's burnt by the body to produce the energy that lets you move around.

And some of it is converted to muscle.

mlnhd
Jun 4, 2002

Mak0rz posted:

And some of it is converted to muscle.

Adipose tissue is NEVER converted to muscle.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Melonhead posted:

Adipose tissue is NEVER converted to muscle.

This is what happens when I post on the forums after just getting out of bed. I knew this. I'm a biologist (though physiology and human biology aren't strong points) and I should have known better. I was thinking "fat person becomes lean = fat turns to muscle :downs:"

Now that I'm awake I know that it's ingested proteins, etc. that becomes muscle, and fat is burned to help get the energy to make the process happen. gently caress I feel dumb :smith:

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
I pay my Virgin media bills online and this month I decided to pay it a week or so early since I wanted it out of the way, was this a good thing to do, or would it screw me over in the long run?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Judge Tesla posted:

I pay my Virgin media bills online and this month I decided to pay it a week or so early since I wanted it out of the way, was this a good thing to do, or would it screw me over in the long run?

Think of your bill as a credit account. Whatever money you put on it will accumulate and be subtracted from your next bill. If you pay $20 on it now, your $60 will be $40 instead.

If you payed it off a week in advance, your bill will show a balance of $0 when you get it a week later. If you payed $12 extra by accident, it will show $-12 and that will be subtracted from your following statement.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Mak0rz posted:

Think of your bill as a credit account. Whatever money you put on it will accumulate and be subtracted from your next bill. If you pay $20 on it now, your $60 will be $40 instead.

If you payed it off a week in advance, your bill will show a balance of $0 when you get it a week later. If you payed $12 extra by accident, it will show $-12 and that will be subtracted from your following statement.

Thanks for this, fairly new to bill paying so just had to be sure.

Cowboy Mark
Sep 9, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Doesn't matter now.

Cowboy Mark fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Nov 13, 2011

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
I tried applying for an Amazon credit card and they said they couldn't verify me or somecrap. They sent me a letter, via Chase that they need address verification. However, they didn't put anything that would tell me what they needed for this. Anyone have an idea?

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I have some pretty bushy eyebrows and am thinking about getting them 'cleaned up' by Supercuts or whatever local place there is here. I got them done a few times earlier this year and they looked much better. Problem was though the waxing tends to make my eyes water...a lot. And I get a nice red spot for a bit too. It's already weird enough that I'm getting my eyebrows waxed, but is there anything I can do to stop the watering eyes so much? It's kind of embarrassing. If I go in regularly (about a month is when they start getting pretty bushy) will that lessen the irritation and watering?

erobadapazzi
Jul 23, 2007
If there is a plant identification thread, I can't find it.

I was hiking in Joshua Tree NP yesterday and saw a lot of pink, spherical cacti. Google image search has brought up pictures of what I saw, but the only name I can find is "pink cactus," and that doesn't seem very official. Anybody know what these are?

(Note: attached picture is not mine.)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Capt. Morgan
Feb 23, 2006

I think it's a Barrel Cactus.

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.
I just got my first ever Jury Summons for 12/20, which kind of sucks, because I'd like to travel home (to a different state, by airplane) for Christmas. How do jury summons work? Do I show up in the morning, and then they're probably done with me that day, or do the lawyers comb through candidates and tell me to show up a few days later, or what? (Did the state of Washington steal Christmas? :()

Edit:
Nevermind, it looks like I can reschedule any time within the next year, so I'll just push it off for a few weeks.

Gravity Pike fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Nov 13, 2011

WillieWestwood
Jun 23, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving!

erobadapazzi posted:

If there is a plant identification thread, I can't find it.

I was hiking in Joshua Tree NP yesterday and saw a lot of pink, spherical cacti. Google image search has brought up pictures of what I saw, but the only name I can find is "pink cactus," and that doesn't seem very official. Anybody know what these are?

(Note: attached picture is not mine.)

Red or California Barrel Cactus (Ferocactus cylindraceus)

Gravity Pike posted:

I just got my first ever Jury Summons for 12/20, which kind of sucks, because I'd like to travel home (to a different state, by airplane) for Christmas. How do jury summons work? Do I show up in the morning, and then they're probably done with me that day, or do the lawyers comb through candidates and tell me to show up a few days later, or what? (Did the state of Washington steal Christmas? :()
In California (dunno about Washington - check the summons), you call in to see if you need to show up. Often, you're in the jury room for the first day and are on call after that.

Used to be you had to go to the jury room for 10 days. If you weren't selected by then, your duty was over until next time. Now, you're on call until you're told you're not needed or you need to come in, and that's after a few days.

WillieWestwood fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Nov 13, 2011

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

Avocados posted:

I have some pretty bushy eyebrows and am thinking about getting them 'cleaned up' by Supercuts or whatever local place there is here. I got them done a few times earlier this year and they looked much better. Problem was though the waxing tends to make my eyes water...a lot. And I get a nice red spot for a bit too. It's already weird enough that I'm getting my eyebrows waxed, but is there anything I can do to stop the watering eyes so much? It's kind of embarrassing. If I go in regularly (about a month is when they start getting pretty bushy) will that lessen the irritation and watering?

Have you tried threading? It seems less painful, from what I can tell.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

Zenostein posted:

Have you tried threading? It seems less painful, from what I can tell.

Threading is more painful during the process, but there's no burn or redness to deal with afterwards. It's really hard to find a good technician though, I used to love threading until my tech quit, and then I went through every single tech at the same place and the experience just scarred me so i went back to waxing.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Anyone know of any good french book sites? Amazon.fr isn't helping much, nor is .ca (I was hoping maybe what I need would have been produced for the Quebec market).

I'm trying to locate a large-print copy of The Count of Monte Cristo in French for a very old friend of mine (as in he's 94 years old). I can find it in French... I can find it in Large Print... but damned if I can find it with those two characteristics combined. His vision is not good enough for the small-print version, and his english isn't good enough for the US large-print versions.

Edit: gently caress it. Public domain, I'll make my own goddamned copy for him. To Createspace I go!

Sundae fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Nov 13, 2011

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Is it worthwhile fighting a public intox minor misdemeanor?

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

Mr. Wookums posted:

Is it worthwhile fighting a public intox minor misdemeanor?

Yes. Get a lawyer.

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS
In the vinyl extrusion manufacturing process, there's a word that sounds like "linear" except with an 'l' at the end instead of 'r', but pronounced in a similar fashion. I don't know how to spell this word though or if it is in fact "lineal". "Lineal" was described as a long piece of profile.

Anyone know about this?

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Dudebro posted:

"Lineal" was described as a long piece of profile.

Yes, it's "lineal", and yes, it's a long, straight piece of vinyl. They're often used around windows or where you'd find wainscoting in wood.

Source: long conversations two weeks ago with the guy who's installing new windows on my house. ;)

Doghouse
Oct 22, 2004

I was playing Harvest Moon 64 with this kid who lived on my street and my cows were not doing well and I got so raged up and frustrated that my eyes welled up with tears and my friend was like are you crying dude. Are you crying because of the cows. I didn't understand the feeding mechanic.
Can someone tell me where I can buy a cheap, long rain coat? What kind of stores would carry these? I know I can get one online but I procrastinated and now I really need one tomorrow - I'm travelling - and it's supposed to rain.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Was there ever a flavor of Unix where the "wipe everything command" was something like "rm * -r"? my dad swears that he used a system that would delete everything if you used that syntax but every google search I'm getting seems to indicate that "rm -rf" is the correct way to enter it.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

computer parts posted:

Was there ever a flavor of Unix where the "wipe everything command" was something like "rm * -r"? my dad swears that he used a system that would delete everything if you used that syntax but every google search I'm getting seems to indicate that "rm -rf" is the correct way to enter it.

You are right about the standard Unix command but there have been command-line interfaces that are not Unixes (like MS-DOS, for one).

tkNukem
Feb 12, 2005

Is there any way to stop the fraying that's about to happen on my Dockers? I had an older pair that slowly frayed, and I'm spotting it (center of black box) again on this pair. I've had the dang things for less than a year.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Flubadub
Nov 14, 2010

The blood was chilling in his veins, The angels sang their sweet refrains,
While waiting at the rich man's door, For little Jim, so cold and poor.
I have a nice set of Prismacolor colored pencils. I haven't used them in a while, and when I went to get them I noticed the metal box they come in wasn't closed tight.

There's white film on the tips of most of the colors and especially noticeable on the art sticks that came with the set. It's flaky if you rub it and looks like white mold.

Is this some kind of fungus or mold? How do I go about cleaning it besides breaking the tips and resharpening? The Prismacolor website mentions wax bloom but only on artwork, not the pencils themselves.

Edit: I'll repost this in the Creative Convention question thread...

Flubadub fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Nov 14, 2011

Manifest Despair
Aug 20, 2008
I'm about to enter my junior year in college but I'm losing motivation. Where do I find more motivation?

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Manifest Despair posted:

I'm about to enter my junior year in college but I'm losing motivation. Where do I find more motivation?

Maybe talk about the issues your facing and the details of your situation in the college advice thread?

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Manifest Despair posted:

A soup kitchen, a McDonald's kitchen, the dole office etc.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
A long time ago, I saw a site that would let you search for a word or phrase and it would track its use through the years with a graph by searching Google Books or something. Does anyone know where I can find that again?

Edit: Found it: http://books.google.com/ngrams

tarepanda fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Nov 14, 2011

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Manifest Despair posted:

You don't, probably. You just push through, enjoy the small things, and keep going even if you don't have motivation.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

tkNukem posted:

Is there any way to stop the fraying that's about to happen on my Dockers? I had an older pair that slowly frayed, and I'm spotting it (center of black box) again on this pair. I've had the dang things for less than a year.

How long are your pants? The quickest way to fray pants cuffs is to have them ride down on the heels of your shoes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tkNukem
Feb 12, 2005

baquerd posted:

How long are your pants? The quickest way to fray pants cuffs is to have them ride down on the heels of your shoes.

They're not long enough to drag on the ground. I vaguely recall the Macy's salesman saying the fabric is weakened after the process by which they apply that permanent crease. He also suggested I wash them as infrequently as possible. But 8 months later, it's already starting.

Maybe I can just slap on something like a silicone epoxy...?