Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

Duckman2008 posted:

Yes and no. There is a soft cap of 300 megs, don't go over that. And if you use more than 50% roaming consistently sprint will void your service. So don't do that either. May I suggest WiFi?

Are there any apps to track the usage? Sprint's account page only shows 3G data use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

err posted:

Are there any apps to track the usage? Sprint's account page only shows 3G data use.

You have to dig deeper, because it does show usage somewhere on Sprint's account page. Just look around (it took me about 5 minutes to find it).

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

err posted:

It shows roaming usage right next to regular usage for me. Couldn't tell ya.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Once upon a time there was some stuff about needing to change a setting to get Pandora to work on Sprint Android phones.

I've been having a hell of a time with Pandora, in that it takes a couple minutes to play a song, if it ever does, and just generally sucks on my EVO 4G.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
This is fantastic:

network.sprint.com

Track what sprint is doing network wise in your area.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
Are there currently any recurring hardware problems with the iPhone 4s?

I.E. I don't want to gently caress around with a lemon phone when I upgrade, what phone gives me the largest chance of not dealing with bullshit?

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!
It looks like Sprint is finally pushing out the update to SIM lock the iPhone 4S, but will unlock it again for customers "in good standing."

http://www.engadget.com/2011/11/11/sprint-pushes-sim-lock-to-iphone-4s-customers-offers-to-undo-it/

SneakyCracker
Oct 28, 2003

IRC - Its nothing more than multiplayer notepad.

Duckman2008 posted:

This is fantastic:

network.sprint.com

This is the best thing. Not only did I learn that all the towers in my podunk little area are getting upgrades, but I just learned that there is a tower 4 blocks from my house.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

Duckman2008 posted:

This is fantastic:

network.sprint.com

Every tower: next 6 months: data capacity upgrade!

I hope it's true. gently caress me data has been bad here for the last 6 months+. A couple years ago all my friends were jealous of my Sprint data speeds, now they all mock me. :(

GEMorris posted:

I.E. I don't want to gently caress around with a lemon phone when I upgrade, what phone gives me the largest chance of not dealing with bullshit?

Apple hardware tends to be pretty loving solid. Even if an issue does pop up their customer service is excellent, especially if you have a local Apple store. Make appointment, go in, get new phone in 2 minutes. That being said a small number of people have had battery issues with the 4S, but these issues aren't poo poo compared to common Android battery issues.

ddogflex fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Nov 11, 2011

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007

ddogflex posted:

Every tower: next 6 months: data capacity upgrade!

I hope it's true.

The tower closest me shows data capacity upgrade in next 6 months. Although I'm not putting much faith in that estimate.

"Next 6 months" is a bit overbroad.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

letsgoflyers81 posted:

It looks like Sprint is finally pushing out the update to SIM lock the iPhone 4S, but will unlock it again for customers "in good standing."

http://www.engadget.com/2011/11/11/sprint-pushes-sim-lock-to-iphone-4s-customers-offers-to-undo-it/

It's not pushing out a SIM lock, it's just that any phone activated 11/11 and on will be SIM locked. Any activated before are not being locked.

GEMorris posted:

None I've heard of, the battery issues are reportedly Software based, and most people never see them.

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

Casao posted:

It's not pushing out a SIM lock, it's just that any phone activated 11/11 and on will be SIM locked. Any activated before are not being locked.

From the article

quote:

Starting today Sprint is pushing a SIM lock to all iPhone 4Ss on its network.

Did they just get it completely wrong?

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

letsgoflyers81 posted:

From the article

Did they just get it completely wrong?

Yes. The press release says "Beginning on November 11, the International SIM will be locked for devices provisioned on the Sprint network." Kind of ambiguous. The leaked memo, on the other hand, says "The SIM lock will not impact any current Sprint iPhone 4S Customers (activated prior to 11/11/11)."

http://www.sprintfeed.com/2011/11/all-iphone-4s-sims-to-be-locked-at-activation-starting-november-11th/

atomicvocabulary
Oct 21, 2002

Say hello to the sunrise for me...

atomicvocabulary posted:

I have been doing some speed tests, around 15, for the past week at different portions of my city at different times.

Best Ping I got was 580ms around 6pm
Best download I got was 133kbps, twice once at 110am and another at 11pm
Best upload I got was 178kbps at 115am

Evo 3D running stock. 4g is much faster of course as is the ping but only available around 1/5 of the places I go. Are these normal Sprint 3g speeds?

Um, guys. I think I found something. Or at least maybe rediscovered something from this thread. I think that my so called "3g" was set to 1x this whole time. I've been running speed tests and have never been able to get above 133kbps download.

I work nights here in Tulsa for a major ambulance service so I would run a speed test in the dead space when 90% of people would be asleep say like 1am to 3am. So like even at that time next to a tower I would get a slow ping, upwards of 1second or more, and watch the test run and stop at 132kbps and maybe get 133. I got that result 5 times or more in the two weeks plus I have been running the speed test.

Until today when I checked this thread again. Page 147 lead to a thread on XDA about the EVO shift of all things (I'm on a 3d). His Shift came from the factory set to 1x. I am starting to think mine too. I followed these instructions:

I seem to have it working now. The change I made was ##3282#, EVDO, preferred mode = auto. This was previously set to CDMA. After a reboot I now have 3g.

My EVDO phrase that I had was "CDMA only" which I changed to automatic. First test I ran, which was just now 3pm local time:

685ms Ping
237kbps download
255kbps upload

All these results from the same test. Compared to best results from multiple tests before the change which you can see above but for ease I reformat here:

580ms ping
133kbps download
178kbps upload

And this was in the middle of the day with the networks probably loaded up with users. I never got anything close to this except on 4g or wifi.

I suggest checking your poo poo if you were having a problem like mine.

new edit: 5pm local time:

169ms ping
1392 kbps download
427kbps upload

I'm about to cry

atomicvocabulary fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Nov 12, 2011

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

That tower map is pretty cool. I noticed a few locations where I had atypically good speeds (like 2Mbps down, dream big, I know :rolleyes:) and right where I had them they were all flagged as "upgraded data capacity in the last 6 Mos). The towers where I NEED them to get the upgrade are in the nebulous "data capacity upgrade in next 6 Mos" territory, but it seems like the places where I could do the A/B comparison seem to bare out that if an upgrade does happen, it will resolve my issues.

SneakyCracker
Oct 28, 2003

atomicvocabulary posted:

3G and EVDO stuff

Uh. EVDO = 3G on Sprint. CDMA is the underlying technology the whole shebang runs on. I think you've got your terms confused here - you're thinking of the difference between 1xRTT (2G) and EVDO (3G).

atomicvocabulary
Oct 21, 2002

Say hello to the sunrise for me...

SneakyCracker posted:

Uh. EVDO = 3G on Sprint. CDMA is the underlying technology the whole shebang runs on. I think you've got your terms confused here - you're thinking of the difference between 1xRTT (2G) and EVDO (3G).

Thanks for that, I'll fix it. Bottom line for me is the change from CDMA only to automatic was the correct one

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
I got a push on my phone (Epic 4G) that I could download Android 2.3.5. I go to settings, Update Android, but it says I'm up to date. Is there something else I need to do?

EDIT: Ok got the update installed. Really digging the new update!

SalTheBard fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Nov 12, 2011

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

Casao posted:

Yes. The press release says "Beginning on November 11, the International SIM will be locked for devices provisioned on the Sprint network." Kind of ambiguous. The leaked memo, on the other hand, says "The SIM lock will not impact any current Sprint iPhone 4S Customers (activated prior to 11/11/11)."

http://www.sprintfeed.com/2011/11/all-iphone-4s-sims-to-be-locked-at-activation-starting-november-11th/

Gotcha. Well, good for existing owners, sucks for for everyone else then.

SneakyCracker
Oct 28, 2003

SalTheBard posted:

I got a push on my phone (Epic 4G) that I could download Android 2.3.5. I go to settings, Update Android, but it says I'm up to date. Is there something else I need to do?

EDIT: Ok got the update installed. Really digging the new update!

As am I. Following the update, the Epic seems to be noticeably snappier. Only source of annoyance thusfar is that Samsung, in all of their infinite wisedom, felt it necessary to remove the excellent stock Gingerbread keyboard and replace it with their own. Thankfully though, the Gingerbread keyboard can be installed via the market.

Aside from that though, thus update is (so far) feeling like what the Epic should have right along.

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002
Thanks for the Network Vision map, Duckman. The 3-4 towers in my immediate area are all showing Voice, Capacity, and Speed upgrades; some within the last 6 months, some within the next 6 months. I wonder what the speed upgrades are: EvDO rev. A to rev. B?

It's not showing anything for my mom's/siblings' suburb, though. It's 15 minutes outside the city and is the most affluent town in the entire area, yet it's stuck on 1x data and spotty voice coverage.

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

SneakyCracker posted:

This is the best thing. Not only did I learn that all the towers in my podunk little area are getting upgrades, but I just learned that there is a tower 4 blocks from my house.
There is one about .4 miles from my house but I only get 2 bars? :confused:

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Full of ignorant tribalism. Kinda sad.

goku chewbacca posted:

I wonder what the speed upgrades are: EvDO rev. A to rev. B?

It's probably not an RF protocol change. More likely, it's more radio arrays or a fatter backhaul pipe for internet access.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

goku chewbacca posted:

Thanks for the Network Vision map, Duckman. The 3-4 towers in my immediate area are all showing Voice, Capacity, and Speed upgrades; some within the last 6 months, some within the next 6 months. I wonder what the speed upgrades are: EvDO rev. A to rev. B?

It's not showing anything for my mom's/siblings' suburb, though. It's 15 minutes outside the city and is the most affluent town in the entire area, yet it's stuck on 1x data and spotty voice coverage.

poo poo, with all the coverage questions I have to answer regularly I am more just making GBS threads my pants to tell people "hey look here." But yeah, the map is pretty cool.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

SneakyCracker posted:

As am I. Following the update, the Epic seems to be noticeably snappier. Only source of annoyance thusfar is that Samsung, in all of their infinite wisedom, felt it necessary to remove the excellent stock Gingerbread keyboard and replace it with their own. Thankfully though, the Gingerbread keyboard can be installed via the market.

Aside from that though, thus update is (so far) feeling like what the Epic should have right along.

This 100% My phone feels so much more responsive, it doesn't feel sluggish when going to app screen or when switching between screens. It's wonderful! Whats so good about the Gingerbread keyboards vs. the Epic keyboard? Can you still use swype with the gingerbread keyboard?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Kynetx posted:

It's probably not an RF protocol change. More likely, it's more radio arrays or a fatter backhaul pipe for internet access.

It could be either considering the widespread mature of the speed upgrades. Sprint made mention of an upcoming RF change, and this could be them rolling it out. v:v:v

Eyecannon
Mar 13, 2003

you are what you excrete
Hmmm that network.sprint.com site is missing a little city called Los Angeles.

In the pulldown, at least.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

Eyecannon posted:

Hmmm that network.sprint.com site is missing a little city called Los Angeles.

In the pulldown, at least.

I wouldn't say it's missing it, Bob.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Duckman2008 posted:

This is fantastic:

network.sprint.com

Is that all the towers? Or just ones getting upgrades?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

CharlesM posted:

I think just ones getting upgrades, but don't quote me on that.

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Question: I am on SERO and I just got my iphone over the mail. Previously 0i was on the $40 smartphone plan, but this would be an upgrade. Should I activate the phone over the internet or do I need to call in to do it?

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

CharlesM posted:

Just the ones getting upgrades. The site doesn't even show any towers near me until I zoom out to see neighboring towns ~10mi away.

Vladimir Putin posted:

Question: I am on SERO and I just got my iphone over the mail. Previously 0i was on the $40 smartphone plan, but this would be an upgrade. Should I activate the phone over the internet or do I need to call in to do it?
You can do it over the internet. It's not a plan change. It's just a $10 fee that's added on automatically.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Alright that's what I was thinking since I didn't see that many towers in some areas.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

SneakyCracker posted:

Unfortunately the GPS is still hosed up, far worse actually than Froyo. It only locks on 1-2 satellites at a time and frequently crashes after 15 minutes of use or so.

This is inexcusable too since the problem is that they shipped a very old version of the GB GPS daemon (it's been the same since the early-May leak), whereas the Mesmerize and Sprint Tab GB updates that hit a few months ago both include a much never version that works really darn well. Good news is that if you're rooted and want a working GPS, this fix (the daemon pulled from the Mesmerize) works really well.

They also didn't fix the hardware keyboard driver they hosed up in the Froyo release despite community fixes being around forever. But if you haven't had a problem with the hardware keyboard so far, it's no worse in GB.

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Childs Play Charity 2011 Total: $1755
Amazon Wireless has the price of the Epic Touch 4G down to $99 for upgrades. Between this and the insane deal on the RAZR a couple days ago I'm wondering how much money they're actually making from this venture.

monoptic
Apr 8, 2004

MAGNICIFENT!

Matlock posted:

Amazon Wireless has the price of the Epic Touch 4G down to $99 for upgrades. Between this and the insane deal on the RAZR a couple days ago I'm wondering how much money they're actually making from this venture.

loving hell I don't know if I can hold out for an iPhone much longer, especially if that Epic 4G Touch is going to be a couple hundred dollars less for awhile.

Does it have the usual Samsung problems? Software bugs, loss of signal issues?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

dexplosivo posted:

I haven't heard of much in that department, and I'm pretty hawkish on how badly Samsung likes to drop the ball.

blargle
Apr 3, 2007
My brother and a close friend have the Epic 4G Touch and Galaxy S2 (AT&T) respectively, and have had zero issues. Makes me regret buying the Evo 3D with a fraction of the ROM support and abandoned alpha version of CM7.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

blargle posted:

My brother and a close friend have the Epic 4G Touch and Galaxy S2 (AT&T) respectively, and have had zero issues. Makes me regret buying the Evo 3D with a fraction of the ROM support and abandoned alpha version of CM7.

What? The 3D is not getting the same support as the OG EVO? I did to read up on this. I was thinking about flashing my wife's 3D to MIUI soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

dexplosivo posted:

Well, it's not yet an exception to Samsung's usual track.

Perhaps the biggest issue with the device so far is loss of signal where the radio walks off and never comes back until a reboot. Although not everyone has experienced it, it's been reported by enough folks that one should assume it can affect all devices. It's also an issue that Sprint acknowledges and Samsung is working on a fix for, although no fix has been pushed yet and it's not clear how quickly one will be available.

As for "how big of a deal is loss of signal?" (On stock devices,) some folks never experience it while others see it once or twice a week at most. Probably the worst cases are once every, or every other day. However, it became particularly notable after Samsung shipped kernel sources with a bunch of debugging turned on, which, ironically, exacerbated loss-of-signal significantly. With the first generation of E4GT custom kernels pretty much everyone was seeing it multiple times a day. That much has been solved, and the latest custom kernels aren't any worse than stock in this regard.

I can't say if that one issue is alone a showstopper. I'm sure the folks for whom the problem has been worst have swapped out their devices, but everyone is awaiting a fix. Hopefully a fix comes soon, but with Samsung we can't say when that will be and if the fix won't break other poo poo. In other words, if you do grab the device and either never have, or find the loss of service problem to happen infrequently enough that it's not particularly bothersome--great. But if you decide it's a horrible mess but you're willing to hold out for a fix, don't hold your breath.

As for Samsung in general, they released the official GB update for the Epic last week and it's great (at least, at to be expected) in all aspects except they botched the GPS again. This time it's becuase they're using an older version of (essentially) the same GPS daemon (software) as the NS4G, Fascinate/Mesmerize, CDMA Tabs, etc., all of which are just fine. Fortunately the fix is dirt simple. But it's just evidence that Samsung, despite many promises to the contrary, still can't get their poo poo straight after a very, very delayed update release.