Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Luquos
Aug 9, 2009

how about we go back to my place and i conquer your world, if you know what i mean

President Ark posted:

Apple support. If a customer is having issues with their appleid, they have to get it fixed at appleid.apple.com.

"Okay, you'll have to go to appleid.apple.com for that issue."
"Oh, so I type in appleidapple.com..."
"It's appleid.apple.com."
"Oh, so appleidatt.com..."
"Appleid, dot apple, dot com. There's two dots."
"Oh, so apple.id.apple.com..."
"Appleid.apple.com"
"Appleeid.apple.com?"

That call should have been 4 minutes long, and it lasted 20 because the caller could not enter the right URL. :smithicide:

The best part? It wasn't even an appleid issue, they were trying to enter in the name for their mobilemeaccount (@me.com) and entering in their full email address (which would have made it whatever@whatever.com@me.com)

Remind me never to work for Apple. They attract the stupidest of rich idiots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThatTaffer
Apr 14, 2005
Ah, this thread. You have my sympathy, my fellow head-set monkeys. Stay strong!

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
Tuesday, my first 3 calls were ten minute long calls about nothing, it just shattered my will to even be there.

When you can bang out 10-15 calls of moderate length and complexity, great.

When you just have to listen to some 55 year old whine about their new rate (which was 4 loving DOLLARS HIGHER), you want to jump off a building.

People literally think their car insurance should just shrink every year until they pay nothing.

Luquos
Aug 9, 2009

how about we go back to my place and i conquer your world, if you know what i mean

Loving Life Partner posted:

People literally think their car insurance should just shrink every year until they pay nothing.

People are self-entitled jerks and expect money for nothing.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Loving Life Partner posted:

Tuesday, my first 3 calls were ten minute long calls about nothing, it just shattered my will to even be there.

When you can bang out 10-15 calls of moderate length and complexity, great.

When you just have to listen to some 55 year old whine about their new rate (which was 4 loving DOLLARS HIGHER), you want to jump off a building.

While it is perhaps silly to whine about it, it's definately the case that changing provider every year usually keeps your premium down (at least in the UK). I've been and got renewal quotes from my current provider, as well as gone to them online as though I'm a new customer and found that I could get a discount by leaving and coming back again. Obviously not a call centre agent's fault but still a loving stupid way to run a railroad.

Fizzle
Dec 14, 2006
ZOMG, Where'd my old account go?!?
I work for a major cable provider in the Northeast, we got completely obliterated by the storm. Customers for the most part are understanding, but there are a select few that are quite entitled...

This one woman was whining beyond belief today that her internet service isn't working. Her television is fine, but her internet isn't synching up.. So after looking at the outage board, I see there's an outage. She flips out on me, stating that we aren't doing our job, it's ridiculous how she pays for a service and isn't getting it (I already offered her a credit) and says she is going to cancel.

I was at the end of my rope, she wasn't the first, nor the last to get whiny on me today. So I very calmly state

"I'm sorry Ma'am that there was the largest winter storm for the month of October in recorded history. Some of our customers, myself included, are still without ANY utilities and have no idea if or when they are going to get any of them back. Seeing how you have Television service, I would say we're doing a pretty good job and are going to continue to work on restoring your services in a timely fashion. So, with that information, is there anything else that I can help you with?"

"..... no" (click)

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010

President Ark posted:

Apple support. If a customer is having issues with their appleid, they have to get it fixed at appleid.apple.com.

"Okay, you'll have to go to appleid.apple.com for that issue."
"Oh, so I type in appleidapple.com..."
"It's appleid.apple.com."
"Oh, so appleidatt.com..."
"Appleid, dot apple, dot com. There's two dots."
"Oh, so apple.id.apple.com..."
"Appleid.apple.com"
"Appleeid.apple.com?"

That call should have been 4 minutes long, and it lasted 20 because the caller could not enter the right URL. :smithicide:

The best part? It wasn't even an appleid issue, they were trying to enter in the name for their mobilemeaccount (@me.com) and entering in their full email address (which would have made it whatever@whatever.com@me.com)

Oh god I feel your pain, iForgot.apple.com is where half the time I end up doing everything for them

"Ok, so the url is iforgot.apple.com"
"Ok, I typed in i.apple.com"
"No not quite, it's iforgot"
"Apple says this website doesn't exist, I typed in i.apple.com"
"No iforgot, like I forgot where I put my iPhone"
"Ohhh, so i space forgot.apple.com
"... Don't worry I'll just send you the password reset email"

KeanuReevesGhost
Apr 24, 2008

Ran across this and though of my fellow call center goons

ZeroDays
Feb 11, 2007

the fuck you know about what i need on my mind mother fucker

JackRabbitStorm posted:

Someone easily identifiable was dumb enough to post this even as a joke? I hope your office has a culture of black humour as well as drugs.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
If people won't stop stealing your food, the solution is to buy a bottle of the hottest hot sauce you can find (the poo poo where they actually measure the scovilles on the label) and apply liberally to your sandwich. Then just wait for someone to start screaming :smug:

Unlike Exlax or weed, you can't get sued for that because it's just hot sauce and if it's too hot for them, tough poo poo.

Alternately, break open a few pens and pour the contents into a sandwich. The stuff is non-toxic, but as soon as your co-worker opens his/her mouth it will be obvious who the thief is.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

JackRabbitStorm posted:

This was dumb and didn't happen. I'm sure that spiking your food is a larger crime than stealing brownies.

KeanuReevesGhost
Apr 24, 2008

Yeah, I am not sure if it is real or not, I came across it on my Google+ Stream and figured you guys would get a kick out of it.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Well if that happened at my center there would be about 5 employees left, if that, including managers. I'm sure other call centers are the same. I always figured people worked at call centers either because there is no drug screening, or because they have kids and it is flexible hours.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Recently, I came down with a nasty case of pneumonia. I woke up one morning not being able to breathe without huge difficulty, and so I went to the hospital. I had my friend call in for me while I was busy being treated, and because I had not scheduled out this little fiasco before hand, I was given an occurance. Not a huge problem... except for the fact that each consecutive day that I was out, I gained another occurance. At my job (I work billing and video tech support for a massive cable company) you are only allowed four occurances before you are put on final written warning. This, apparantly, cannot be mitigated with doctors notes, hospital admittance records, or anything like that.

I currently have no PTO left, and if I am late or call in even once, I run the risk of losing my job. I need this job so I can afford to move away froma making GBS threads living situation. Today I was about 15 minutes late back to work from my unpaid lunch break because I got in a car accident. I don't know if/when they're going to get around to firing me, so at this point I'm hosed.

Way to go, HR policies.

On another note, we were given a total of three hours of troubleshooting training before they just threw us out on the floor. This means that if I don't know how to fix something, I get to deal with the screaming, angry customers. We have no floor support. I can't even get in touch with a more experienced tech. Instead, I get to have my stats completely buggered while I try my damndest to fix some angry bastard's television, and then I get to log a ticket which takes three times as long due to the fact that we have computers that run windows 98 and make jet engine noises when you have more than a single window up at a time.

Someone please put me out of my misery.

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

How is that not illegal. I know you have protected classes in America, ie. they cant sack you because they find out you're gay or black or whatever. Although we all know they'd just say its because you're not productive or whatever to get around it. But this appears to be clearly documented. 1) I was in hospital in an emergency situation. 2) I was in a car accident. So if they then go, get out don't come back, surely they can't do that?

I mean they aint even pretending its because of some bullshit reason just to sack you...

Is it really that hosed?

k3nn
Jan 20, 2007
Anything else would be an immoral intrusion on the employer's liberty!

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

The Oath Breaker's about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!
You're pretty hosed. I'd at least go talk to a higher tier supervisor like an area manager about it and see if there's nothing that can be done before HR fires you.

Science
Jun 28, 2006
. . .
This thread is normally a downer, so I thought I'd share my good news.

After 6 months taking calls and e-mails, and 3 months doing QC I have finally been promoted above the ranks of call-taker and am now responsible for the knowledge base used by our call centre.

From now on, I will only use my headset to log in to the system. :smug:

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.
So, I discovered the most annoying trait of one of my coworkers. She's a really awesome person, and we're friends outside of work, but she'll put customers on hold to take personal calls when me and her are the only two there.

I mean, I'm not going to rat her out or anything, but it pisses me off that someone could care that little about customer service to put people on hold to deal with personal poo poo. I wouldn't care if this was like a one time thing, but this is like, whenever she and I are alone in the building.

Just had to complain about that. Other than that I really like my job, because it's a really good environment, we're all awesome people, and free coffee.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

I have a very slight southwestern accent. I was told the other day by a supervisor that I sound "hokey" on the phone. Almost all of my feedback from customers has shown that I handle situations well, am friendly, and efficient. But because I sometimes drop the g's out of my ing endings, I was docked for call adherence.

What.

Fizzle
Dec 14, 2006
ZOMG, Where'd my old account go?!?
I've determined I am going to get another job, I don't care what.. I'll take a 50% pay cut or whatever just so I don't have to listen to the inane ramblings anymore.

I need a job that doesn't restart itself every 10 minutes. I need a sense of accomplishment at the end of the day. I've been doing this for 3 years and I'm finding myself looking longingly at the telephone poles as I'm driving in, and saying to myself "maybe that'll be the one to end it all.."

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Fizzle posted:

I've determined I am going to get another job, I don't care what.. I'll take a 50% pay cut or whatever just so I don't have to listen to the inane ramblings anymore.

I need a job that doesn't restart itself every 10 minutes. I need a sense of accomplishment at the end of the day. I've been doing this for 3 years and I'm finding myself looking longingly at the telephone poles as I'm driving in, and saying to myself "maybe that'll be the one to end it all.."

This is basically where I am. I worked black friday at loving Toys R Us and it didn't make me hate life as much as this lovely, lovely job. I'm honestly just considering grabbing a few part time jobs and just sucking the reduced paychecks. I can live on ramen and rice for a while.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

AA is for Quitters posted:

I'm seriously considering asking what sort of shithole he came from, because he knows his poo poo, but can't believe that all of us are the employees that we are-we're fairly middle of the road, really, but we seem to be seriously impressing him.

Ask. Then make sure never to work for that company.

I had one guy work for me who thought I was the bestest, nicest, most friendly boss ever in the whole world. I'm actually pretty sarcastic and poo poo, but the place he came from was so bad that to him I looked like the Cheerful Fairy Of Happiness.

oquendog
Oct 8, 2009

Oh, my.

I was fixing to work at a Call Center giant here in Texas, and then I read this thread.

Jesus christ. The funny part is, it sounds hysterical...They can fire you with no just reasoning because WELCOME TO TEXAS, but after being terminated you can immediately re-apply to another department because this Call Center (like many I presume) is a contractor for places such as AT&T.

Even better, there is no restrictions once being terminated to re-apply other than sexual harassment, for which you will have to wait for a very, very long period of precisely 2 months.

One of my friends who pushed me to applying told me about his coworker receiving a promotion suddenly by a Sales Manager with no prompt, and upon arriving the next day the first priority was for him to fire 27 people.

I think I'm in love!

fret logic
Mar 8, 2005
roffle
One thing I never can get over is just how mean some people are. You're really going to start yelling and cussing at me after I politely greet you when I answer the call? What if your mother was working for my company and someone spoke to her like that for no reason?

People just don't think, or care, or give a poo poo about anyone but themselves. It is getting increasingly difficult not to tell these self-important entitled customers not to go gently caress themselves on a daily basis. I'm a drone that works for a living just like you, and my job is to be polite and helpful and to fix whatever your problem is, answer whatever question you have, and generally do everything I can to make you happy. And what do I get in return? I get poo poo on.

And in the end, I know people treat us this way for one simple reason: they can. The moment I become realistic and respond to someone, they freak out as if to say "Oh! You're not supposed to talk to me that way! Get me your supervisor now!" It's obvious we are just punching bags and not supposed to punch back.

legsarerequired
Dec 31, 2007
College Slice
On the bright side, I've become a lot nicer to people working in the service industry. I never was the type to yell or freak out anyway, but these days I make sure to fill out surveys and be extra-nice.

I also appreciate that my center offers 25 days of paid vacation per year. I burned through all of mine and only have about four days left due to all the traveling I've done, but I suppose I always have wanted to travel.

The thing I hate the most is the look that people give me when I explain to them that I work in customer service. I'm interviewing for a promotion and people in other departments get a very specific look on their faces when I say I'm in customer service...

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

People love to threaten to cancel. I don't think they realize that this is not the thunderclap of doom they think it is. In fact, it always made me happy, because it meant I got to transfer them. Also, wtf is with people wanting poo poo for free constantly? They want an iPhone or whatever the hot smartphone is for free with unlimited everything and NO contract for, let's call it $30/month. Yeah, good luck with that.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Drimble Wedge posted:

People love to threaten to cancel. I don't think they realize that this is not the thunderclap of doom they think it is. In fact, it always made me happy, because it meant I got to transfer them. Also, wtf is with people wanting poo poo for free constantly? They want an iPhone or whatever the hot smartphone is for free with unlimited everything and NO contract for, let's call it $30/month. Yeah, good luck with that.

This right here is the bane of my existance. "What do you mean I have to pay for the services I'm receiving? I shouldn't have to pay for every premium channel, my phone line, and my internet! I should get it for free because I'm a loyal customer!"

My company was recently bought out and we have a new name with different protocols. This means that when we update people to the new protocol, we have to inform them that they are not eligible for the stupid promotion that we've been sending out for 99 dollars for all three services. This promotion is only for NEW customers, as in, have never had service with our company ever. "But I'm a new customer for your company!" No. No you are not. Just because we changed our name does not mean that you are magically a new customer. you are still our existing customer. Therefore, shut the hell up and pay your bill.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

NerdyNautilusGirl posted:

This right here is the bane of my existance. "What do you mean I have to pay for the services I'm receiving? I shouldn't have to pay for every premium channel, my phone line, and my internet! I should get it for free because I'm a loyal customer!"

My company was recently bought out and we have a new name with different protocols. This means that when we update people to the new protocol, we have to inform them that they are not eligible for the stupid promotion that we've been sending out for 99 dollars for all three services. This promotion is only for NEW customers, as in, have never had service with our company ever. "But I'm a new customer for your company!" No. No you are not. Just because we changed our name does not mean that you are magically a new customer. you are still our existing customer. Therefore, shut the hell up and pay your bill.

I can understand your frustration, but Jesus Christ are those "new customer only!" offers loving irritating. I don't expect any of the services I get to be free, but why should I be paying MORE than some fucker who jumps from company to company every 12 months? Surely a company's established customer base is as important as getting new ones through the door.

fret logic
Mar 8, 2005
roffle

Fil5000 posted:

I can understand your frustration, but Jesus Christ are those "new customer only!" offers loving irritating. I don't expect any of the services I get to be free, but why should I be paying MORE than some fucker who jumps from company to company every 12 months? Surely a company's established customer base is as important as getting new ones through the door.

No what's irritating is that everyone that mentions this right here, when offered a contract that doesn't change in price, freaks the gently caress out about that too.

"But I'm a loyal customer I'm not one of the new customers that is just going to drop you, why do they get a better deal???"

"Well we have some great contract pricing that unlike these promotions, doesn't expire in 6 months"

"Hell no I'm not getting any contracts!"

Customers are generally irrational petulant children who always want more and always want it for absolutely nothing. It's a shame we're not allowed to tell people exactly how it is, because it's absolutely poo poo.

jasawnc
Jan 24, 2005
The secret of life is as follows: 3

Fil5000 posted:

This is how it should be.

The longer you've been with a company the more benefits that company should give you for your loyalty. If they can offer new users package/$X then they can offer me package/$X-$5, it doesn't have to be much, it does have to be something.

To me a company that doesn't do this, is basically saying gently caress the current LOYAL customer base. We'll use them for every penny - not give them extra opportunities to save cash and could give a gently caress less about them. All to improve their own wallet sizes. gently caress that.

E: ^--- fret: gently caress contracts, every company wants a loving contract now. Problem is while your contract says you'll pay $X in two years, the new customers are getting offers way below that to sign on.

jasawnc fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Nov 12, 2011

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?
I have to agree with you on that. I switch insurance (car and house), electricity, and savings providers roughly yearly for exactly this reason.

I know why they do what they do though - lowest common denominator again. Most people are too apathetic to switch around, so they want to lure in those people with a 6 month offer and then milk them for years.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

fret logic posted:

Customers are generally irrational petulant children who always want more and always want it for absolutely nothing.

Pretty much this.

The problem with customers is that they refuse to take the time to understand anything about the business at all beyond the basics of "pay $x per month/quarter/year".

As an aside, I'm getting sorely tempted to tell every customer that calls up and asks me if they got through to tech support that I'm actually from the fishing show and that they missed out on the prize.

legsarerequired
Dec 31, 2007
College Slice
Anyone over the age of 80 should not be allowed to use a phone. So many rambly stories, so many quietly condescending people.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

The Oath Breaker's about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!

fret logic posted:

Customers are generally irrational petulant children who always want more and always want it for absolutely nothing. It's a shame we're not allowed to tell people exactly how it is, because it's absolutely poo poo.

Yeah, a boss once told me that we're here to provide the customer with what they want. I answered that it seems the customer wants everything we offer, for free, immediately, can we do that?

That got a dirty look.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Fil5000 posted:

See, this is perfectly fine, but the way our company works is that once you've had an account with us, you can never be a new customer again. Seriously. We keep accounts basically as long as the servers hold out. It's stupid because it slows everything down like a mofo and the workarounds for new customers at old addresses makes me want to kill a child BUT there really isn't a way for someone to jump companies.

The main thing that really bothers me are the people who think they're clever by claiming "well, I'm a new customer of (new company name)!". NO. NO YOU ARE NOT. Also, the sheer amount of people who freak the hell out over a simple name change.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

NerdyNautilusGirl posted:

I have a very slight southwestern accent. I was told the other day by a supervisor that I sound "hokey" on the phone. Almost all of my feedback from customers has shown that I handle situations well, am friendly, and efficient. But because I sometimes drop the g's out of my ing endings, I was docked for call adherence.

What.

It doesn't matter where you're from. I'm a Northeasterner. I am gonna lose it the next time someone makes me repeat the word "dog" fifty times because they can't understand me. C'mon.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
At least you probably don't get called "ma'am" 20 times a day.

My voice isn't high, it's just not deep, it's a tenor! Excuuuuuuuuuuse me!

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.
Can I just say I hate the DNC and the fact that people think that it exempts them from things they SIGN UP FOR?

Look, you filled out a form on the internet. I know, they're slightly shady and deceptive forms, and I am more than willing to take you off of our calling list if you filled it out by mistake, and have no interest in our services. If you were trying to apply for unemployment or short term disability, I will even give you the phone numbers and websites to apply for such.

But you don't need to scream at us when we call you that you're on the DNC list, because you solicited us to call you. That exempts you from the DNC. Rant all you like about going to the FCC, but they're going to tell you the same thing I just did-you filled out the form, you put your phone number and address into the form, maybe you should think twice about putting your phone number into every pop up advertisement you see on the internet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
I'm considering buying an ad at the superbowl to try and dispel the myth that insurance rates go down every 6 months. I can't believe how loving embedded this thought is into everyone's god damned brain.