Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Well Manicured Man posted:

Does this mean the kids from the old universe are doomed, like all those non-alpha timeline Daves?

No, because this is still part of the same timeline as before.

It's not that the alpha timeline actions never occurred and all our protagonists became betas; it's just that the universe in the alpha timeline was reset. It's not that the timeline reset, it's that the conditions in that timeline were totally reset instead.

Look at it as them totally resetting the machinery of the universe from square one. The old "software" run before still happened, it's just been totally wiped clean by the reset. So since the kids escaped their scratching session, they are all still in existence, still alpha. But there are "clones" of them as it were in the New Earth. Not paradox clones, not causal clones, not even cross-universe clones, just clones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WAMPA_STOMPA
Oct 21, 2010
I don't think the artifacts mean there were two copies of each kid meteor. The kids/guardians/artifacts probably got distributed the same way they were in the first session.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

WAMPA_STOMPA posted:

I don't think the artifacts mean there were two copies of each kid meteor. The kids/guardians/artifacts probably got distributed the same way they were in the first session.

Things get weird when we get to Cal, though. Did the Scratch also reset the trolls' timeline so that there's another version of Gamzee currently hating Cal into existence in the dreams of scratched-Bro?

HalfHazard
Mar 29, 2010

It never occurred to be that Jane, Jake etc. would be copies of the babies from the first session. If the characters from this universe are literally copied from the the first session's ectobiology babies, then how would the whole ectobiology thing for the new session work out? I guess there's the fact that Jake's hand in creating the bunny ultimately contributed to the Scratch, and thus the new universe's existence, which would bypass the need for ectobiology if they are indeed copies from the first session.

HalfHazard fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Nov 12, 2011

Ograbme
Jul 26, 2003

D--n it, how he nicks 'em

Gabriel Pope posted:

Things get weird when we get to Cal, though. Did the Scratch also reset the trolls' timeline so that there's another version of Gamzee currently hating Cal into existence in the dreams of scratched-Bro?
It must have. The pre-scratch universe was a failure because of Karkat and Kanaya's hurried frogineering.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Gabriel Pope posted:

Of course not, the Scratch should only affect the single universe in which it is executed, namely the Kids'.

I think the defense portals don't seem to really "care" what universe they are sending meteors into, whether it's pre- or post-scratch. It's like the same singular meteor was sent back into the universe from the incipisphere, but the destination changed after the scratch. Therefore John's ectobiology session is still the one that spawned the kids and their guardians, it's just that after the scratch they no longer went to the pre-scratch Earth.

What does this mean for the upcoming session for Jane and company? Who knows. Maybe it will be the same sort of problem the pre-scratch trolls encountered. Maybe there is not going to be any ectobiology involved at all.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Maybe the way the glitch will manifest itself this time around is that they won't do ectobiology in the new session. So basically the reverse of the situation that happened with the trolls.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Regy Rusty posted:

Maybe the way the glitch will manifest itself this time around is that they won't do ectobiology in the new session. So basically the reverse of the situation that happened with the trolls.

The glitch won't manifest this time around, that's the whole point of it in the first place. English only creates the glitch so that a session is unwinnable and necessitates a Scratch. The Scratched universe proceeds smoothly, but English then engineers events so that the players will somehow flub the creation of the next universe and make another, unwinnable session.

Basically, the pattern is glitch-Englishverse-glitch-Englishverse, and so on.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Gabriel Pope posted:

Gamzee (or more specifically, the Subjuggulators) acted essentially as agents of English through their actions by perpetuating that aspect into the session.

Given that it's highly likely that the post Scratch version of Earth includes a Lord English summoning device, it's highly likely that they don't need anything other than English himself to cause Cal here.

FewtureMD
Dec 19, 2010

I am very powerful, of course.

Whoa. What in the hell does the HAT have to do with the matriorb?

Sepherothic
Feb 8, 2003

New Panels are up, cockslaps.

http://www.mspaintadventures.com/?s=6&p=006023

Walliard
Dec 29, 2010

Oppan Windfall Style

FewtureMD posted:

It's all codes. Combining random stuff sometimes makes completely unrelated things.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

FewtureMD posted:

It doesn't. It's the standard thing we've seen since the beginning about how the combining of different objects can produce the same code.

MyFaceBeHi
Apr 9, 2008

I was popular, once.
So this basically proves that Betty Crocker also made the game software? What doesn't that Batterwitch do?

Also, has the font size changed? I'm sure the font size was a little smaller before.

Daius
Sep 10, 2010

Jane's Dad is going to end up being Mobster Kingpin.

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...
Wow, the first really useful fetch modus. I'd bet it'll come in handy later.

quote:

In public, you and your DAD made quite the pair. Everyone could tell by a glance that you were your father's daughter, sired from his loins directly and genetically, through what was undoubtedly a natural process of human procreation involving a man and a woman. People would definitely nod and say, "Yep, that little lady sure did emerge from a womb on account of that gentleman's awesome virility."

Hussie, you tease.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

tinaun posted:

Are you suggesting John's early "launch everything at you enemies accidentally" fetch modus wasn't useful?

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp
Looks like they found a use for the Ultimate Alchemy.

Residual Toast
Nov 19, 2007
The Toast with the Most
Has anyone suggested that this batterwich might actually be fereri instead of the condecse? Cause that might could be a thing.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
Hmm. Wouldn't it be possible to derive the matriorb captcha code from the hat, houseplant and dream bubbles book?

Also the matriorb being used to make a parent's hat kind of makes sense in a way.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

FaceTime posted:

So this basically proves that Betty Crocker also made the game software?

She adapted it. Again, the universal game software is self creating. When you have something create itself, you don't need someone who "makes" it originally.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

It'll never happen but it would be pretty funny if, in the course of what's coming up, someone does manage to get the matriorb back somehow and then turns around and uses it to make a hat.

FrictionlessEmu
Jan 24, 2011

tinaun posted:

But you need to already own the object so that you can captchalogue it and then see how to make it. That might be useful in some cases, but most of the time it would just be frustrating because you would alchemize something and then your modus would show you how you could have created it more cheaply :v:.

Slime posted:

Hmm. Wouldn't it be possible to derive the matriorb captcha code from the hat, houseplant and dream bubbles book?

Well, mathematically speaking, the recipe for the hat plus the relevant codes would give you some amount of partial information about the code for the matriorb, and the remainder would have to be found out by brute force (which could be really easy or really hard depending on how much information isn't determined). John did some reverse-engineering of the sort in a really easy case, and Sollux did something along those lines too. Of course, with this being Homestuck and all, there's a good chance that mathematical ambiguity could be circumvented by shenanigans.

FrictionlessEmu fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Nov 12, 2011

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

FrictionlessEmu posted:

But you need to already own the object so that you can captchalogue it and then see how to make it. That might be useful in some cases, but most of the time it would just be frustrating because you would alchemize something and then your modus would show you how you could have created it more cheaply :v:.

It probably works with ghost images though, since they give the captchalogue code for the actual item rather than the ghost image itself. Plus you could probably plug the modus itself into a shunt on the alchemiter to get it to show all the recipes for an item you haven't made yet.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
This does tell us that creating items through different means costs different amounts of grist, which is potentially interesting information.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Well, now we know how they're gonna save the troll race. If that's still a thing people want to happen. I mean, they've kind of a got a track record of screwing themselves and everyone else over.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Tollymain posted:

Well, now we know how they're gonna save the troll race. If that's still a thing people want to happen. I mean, they've kind of a got a track record of screwing themselves and everyone else over.

It will later turn out that literally every item in SBurb has at least one combination that can make it using the matriorb as an ingredient.

Some have two or three.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

President Ark posted:

This does tell us that creating items through different means costs different amounts of grist, which is potentially interesting information.
One assumes that the less efficient a combination is, the more the cost will be, even if you're trying to make something mundane. Thus, the 100 trillion grist cost to just make a hat when combining such disparate poo poo as a plant, a Dutton book and the goddamn Matriorb.

QueerPope
May 1, 2010

Meow.
Who the hell cares about recipe modus and matriorb when when you have this!!! A super secret hidden on the MSPA ebwsite!

Regy Rusty posted:

It isn't a secret. It's been listed in the Sweet Bro and Hella Jeff comic list since it came out.

Oh, nevermind. I thought it was some hidden extra pertaining to what we saw in [S] Act 6. :downs:

QueerPope fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Nov 12, 2011

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away

Because we all already knew about it.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

It isn't a secret. It's been listed in the Sweet Bro and Hella Jeff comic list since it came out.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Ah, a return to the captchalog hijinks we know and love.

<sits back, lights pipe, brushes mangrit out of beard...>

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
So much like the scratched troll session created a massive bloodthirsty empire to be better suited to the game, the scratched kid session created fetch modi that aren't a pain in the rear end to work with?

Radiochromatic
Feb 17, 2011
So would it be safe to say that the "Fatherly Gents Shaving Almanac" is a rather hammy book? Ham. Steak. :v:

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Tollymain posted:

Wow. Just read an entire blog about somebody reading the entirety of Homestuck over the course of 2 months or so. They started out basically roasting it. And then changed their mind once the story got underway. It's a hilarious read, but it's also kind of nostalgic. I can remember going through a lot of this stuff. It's been a hell of a ride, hasn't it?

http://what-the-gently caress-is-homestuck.tumblr.com/how

E:VVVVVVV I KNOW. I think they've still got a few things confused, so somebody buy that woman a membership so we can motherfucking enlighten her.

God, this woman is the opposite of funny. Her "roast" bit at the start is just groan-inducingly petulant.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Android Blues posted:

God, this woman is the opposite of funny. Her "roast" bit at the start is just groan-inducingly petulant.

Really? I just read through the whole thing and it was pretty interesting to see how they got hooked. The beginning read to me like someone coming into Homestuck with the wrong impression, thinking like the people who swear to never read Twilight because they think it's loving retarded and "it's just loving sparkly vampires what else would I ever want to know". Except you know, what most people hear about homestuck are all the in-jokes which is what turns them off and unlike Twilight there's usually more to it than what you can hear in passing.

It was a pretty good read for me at least. She caught stuff I never did when I first anyway.

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...
One page update, pretty much confirms that her dad is Dad.

Also,

quote:

Since then, the author has been steadily updating PROBLEM SLEUTH 2, which you have been following avidly. You are happy that he stayed in that lane, and stuck with a time-tested formula. If he went in a different direction, you probably would have found it really disappointing.
:allears:

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

tinaun posted:

Also,

:allears:

Now that I thought about it, the lack of a Problem Sleuth 2 is pretty disappointing.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

King of Solomon posted:

Now that I thought about it, the lack of a Problem Sleuth 2 is pretty disappointing.

I consider the Midnight Crew Intermission a de facto Problem Sleuth sequel. It's just as screwy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

tinaun posted:

Are you sure about that? Because the love of redneck comedy stylings, combined with the fact that he's prepared to ground as well as dote, suggests to me that her dad could be John. Post-scratch John, I mean.