Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005

Cross_ posted:

Camo gear in a bright blue car. Awesome :)

Leather seat camouflage for the truly lazy stealth enthusiast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

evil_bunnY posted:

You don't live in a Japan:

:ughh:

Some guy who lives in our apartment complex (for civil servants) here in Japan snapped some really odd/unflattering pictures of my Aussie friend at an event, and came over to her unit and gave them to her. The shots have like, no merit at all, it was really weird. He did some other weird/stalky things to the point where she had to talk to our boss, who talked to his boss, who told him to back off. She hasn't had any problems with him since, but seriously, how do you get that old and still not get basic human interactions?

ass is my canvas
Jun 7, 2003

comin' down the street

Pompous Rhombus posted:

how do you get that old and still not get basic human interactions?

I can not think of a better internet forum to ask.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
Japan goon: what about going to a t-shirt shop and getting a black shirt with "PRESS PHOTOGRAPHER" in big white Japanese letters? That should get most people to gently caress off.

Although I am in full support of the "hide in a tree in full camo" backup plan.

INTJ Mastermind fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Nov 1, 2011

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

INTJ Mastermind posted:

Japan goon: what about going to a t-shirt shop and getting a black shirt with "PRESS PHOTOGRAPHER" in big white Japanese letters? That should get most people to gently caress off.

Although I am in full support of the "hide in a tree in full camo" backup plan.

People would probably just stare. Photographers usually have ID badges and armbands.

Edit: It's a moot point for me because of the school politics I described anyway. Keeping the workplace stable comes before everything else, pretty much.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

tarepanda posted:

People would probably just stare. Photographers usually have ID badges and armbands.

Edit: It's a moot point for me because of the school politics I described anyway. Keeping the workplace stable comes before everything else, pretty much.

Do you know where I can buy one of those 写真 arm bands by the way? I think that and a fake Western press credential might get me in some interesting places.

Kidding, I will only use it for good.

It's very much a school or Board of Education-related thing here in Japan. Tarepanda, Lon Lon Rabbit, and I have the same job here, but quite differing circumstances. Like I said, I usually err on the side of caution when taking photos, which while it sucks sometimes (there's plenty of cool/interesting stuff going on at school I'd like to share photos of), there's plenty of cool stuff outside of school to take photos of.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
No idea.

macx
Feb 3, 2005

Here is a fun one. I have an hour to spend up in a helicopter in the Ann Arbor, MI area with just me and the pilot. Hopefully he will let us go up with the doors off so I can get some really good shots, but either way, I am trying to figure out what I want to shoot. I want to avoid the local cliches like any stadium or the skyline.

If you had an hour in a helicopter what would you shoot?

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

Don't tap on the fucking glass!
I swear to god I'll cut off your fucking fingers and feed them to the otters for enrichment.
I have a feeling that this question makes no sense at all, as I barely understand what I'm asking.

Are 1/3-stops (or 1/2) on a linear or exponential scale? Or does it come out to be the same regardless?

EDIT: Nevermind, I think I figured it out.

William T. Hornaday fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Nov 1, 2011

Cross_
Aug 22, 2008

macx posted:

If you had an hour in a helicopter what would you shoot?

There used to be an aviation-related thread in Dorkroom

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

I would shoot people from the top.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Cross_ posted:

There used to be an aviation-related thread in Dorkroom

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3282160

macx
Feb 3, 2005

I am not taking photos of a helicopter, but in one. That thread seems to be all about taking photos of aircraft.

Think aerial photography, but not aviation. Searching for aerial doesn't seem to show anything.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

macx posted:

I am not taking photos of a helicopter, but in one. That thread seems to be all about taking photos of aircraft.

Think aerial photography, but not aviation. Searching for aerial doesn't seem to show anything.
Just thinking aloud, I'd try to avoid the territory of satellite and high altitude aerial cartographic imaging, which A)you probably can't compete with as far as fidelity and completeness and B) I can't imagine how one would do anything approaching artistic with it. To me that means capitalizing on rather than hiding your perspective, avoiding telephoto shots, and shooting things from an angle above rather than straight down. For example wide-angle shots from as close to a building as you could get might be vertigo inducing, if your perspective is clearly groundless, whereas a long shot of anything from above would be more or less indistinguishable from the same picture taken from a tall building's rooftop.

When I think of all the shots I've taken from airplanes and rooftops, the only ones that stand out do so because of the landmarks they contain.

Cross_
Aug 22, 2008
I am looking for recommendations for reasonably priced monitor profiling software. So far I have used Colorvision's software that came with the Spyder 2 and it introduced a blue cast. Next I tried x-rite's Colormunki Photo - the generated profiles were a disaster.
Finally I used the demo of ColorEyes Display Pro in combination with my Spyder 2 and the resulting profile is great. However, $175 for just the software is a bit steep. Are there any competing products in that market ?

Cross_ fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Nov 2, 2011

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Cross_ posted:

Finally I used the demo of ColorEyes Display Pro in combination with my Spyder 2 and the resulting profile is great. However, $175 for just the software is a bit steep. Are there any competing products in that market ?

About the only competing product is basICColor, which is less a competitor and more a partially-retarded divergent brother once removed. Also it's more expensive than CEDP.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

macx posted:

If you really have nothing in mind that you want to shoot, go for some abstract shots. Use the POV to your advantage and make a photo that puts your subject out of context.

Edit: Also, on the technical side of things, use some stabilized lenses or rent them if you don't have any. Whirly birds vibrate like a mother fucker.

Prathm
Nov 24, 2005

Is there anything orthochromatic film is particularly good for, besides male portraits?

I picked up a roll of 25 iso on a whim, and now I dont know what to do with it.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Helicopters are made of out excitement and vibration, in my opinion the invention of the helicopter is about the craziest idea ever given a green light.

The perspective available from a helicopter is mostly available from tall buildings or small airplanes, but there are a enough places a helicopter can go that neither of those can to make this trip very interesting. As others said, go for weird perspectives on otherwise familiar things - tall buildings from next to, not above, the top, sailboats from directly above (use a really big telephoto to get a shot dominated by the top of the mast, for example), bridges from above and in line.

Watch some movies with police helicopters in them (Heat has some interesting shots like this) and try to emulate some of those. Pictures of other aircraft in the air counts as a different perspective, most of the time we see aircraft either on the ground or from below, some shots of airplanes and helicopters from the same altitude might be interesting.

Sounds like a great time, please post some of your pictures here afterwards.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

tarepanda posted:

This was a while ago -- I already chose not to go. It was the girls' swim team, like I said. All of the girls were envious of my tennis pictures and wanted me to take pictures of them as well.

See above.

I live in Japan, so the expectations are a little different. The assumption is that guys with big lenses at girls' swim events are there to get perverted pictures, so they're generally prohibited unless they're with the newspaper or school.

It gets weirder still because students aren't actually supposed to be in pictures where their faces are visible; if they are, the files are supposed to be stored solely on school servers, and any picture used is supposed to be used in a very small form so that the faces aren't visible or they should be censored with a mosaic.

Since I work for the school, I can't sell things to students or parents. I can GIVE them, but I can't sell them. This is both a function of me being a school employee and also the school having a professional photographer on retainer.

I also refused to shoot the girls' rhythmic gymnastics team. Girls in what are basically one-piece swimsuits dancing around, holding their legs behind their heads while they twirl ribbons. Dangerous ground for the same reasons as swimming.

I took photos at swim meets in HS & college (mainly of my friends on the my team) so I never thought of it as weird, sexual or in an inappropriate context, but I can understand how it could make someone (most likely a non-swimmer) uncomfortable with the situation. And similar to you, the girls especially, wanted to have their picture taken because the only time we had proof that we were swimmers was the one team photo we took each year. I guess being half naked in the water with a bunch of people 4 hours a day will help you learn to tune out those who are leering.

Sevn
Oct 13, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

geeves posted:

I took photos at swim meets in HS & college (mainly of my friends on the my team) so I never thought of it as weird, sexual or in an inappropriate context, but I can understand how it could make someone (most likely a non-swimmer) uncomfortable with the situation. And similar to you, the girls especially, wanted to have their picture taken because the only time we had proof that we were swimmers was the one team photo we took each year. I guess being half naked in the water with a bunch of people 4 hours a day will help you learn to tune out those who are leering.

That is one of the main issues though; making the non-swimmers uncomfortable. I know when I played soccer, there was not a chance in the world that I would notice someone in the stands.

Two things make this a little different though. First, it is in an Asian culture, and 2nd, it is Jr High girls.

I am sure you already saw it, but using a decent size lens in countries like Japan have a terrible stigma of being perverted.

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

Don't tap on the fucking glass!
I swear to god I'll cut off your fucking fingers and feed them to the otters for enrichment.
I have a huge amount of photos that I don't necessarily want to delete, but they're starting to take up a sizable portion of my computer's hard drive. Is it possible to store the actual files in different places (e.g., split between my computer's hand drive and external hard drives), but have all of them still show up in the same Lightroom catalogue?

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Yes. I believe you can just drag and drop the photos to where you want them. Then when you open LR, the folders which you moved will be greyed out in the left bar in the library window. You can then right click on the folder you moved and select update folder location.

E: I think LR is faster when the catalog is stored on the same drive as the photos. I personally keep everything photo related (catalog, RAWs/edits, and previews on an external HDD and backup the catalog on my C drive (and back up all of the photos and an additional copy of the catalog on another external HDD used only for backup purposes). I have a 1.5tb USB 3.0 drive which I use as the main working HDD. As I get more photos, I just upgrade the HDD to a bigger one (usually at a cheaper price than I paid for the current size) every few years.

spf3million fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Nov 9, 2011

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Saint Fu posted:

E: I think LR is faster when the catalog is stored on the same drive as the photos.
This makes zero sense.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Would it make sense if the previews were on the same drive?

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Saint Fu posted:

Would it make sense if the previews were on the same drive?

Yeah, if you store the cache on an SSD and store the library on another drive everything is peachy keen. I don't get to shoot as much as I'd like, so I can keep between 6-12 months worth of shots on my macbook airs SSD, it might be more difficult for some of you guys.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

You want your poo poo spread out as much as possible, especially if you use platter drives.

Of course if one drive is platter and the other flash, put everything on flash.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
So, um, I found another camera....

A Kinoflex?

Came pre-loaded with some Panatomic X film???. That film still exists, right?

Anyone know anything about that?

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
Panatomic X was a very low-grain low-speed film. It was ASA 32, and is discontinued. No idea how you should meter it.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

atomicthumbs posted:

Panatomic X was a very low-grain low-speed film. It was ASA 32, and is discontinued. No idea how you should meter it.

How do I know what kinds, if any, of film this camera takes that still exist?

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

the posted:

How do I know what kinds, if any, of film this camera takes that still exist?

It takes any 120-format film.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
It says "Super Reflex" on it, and came loaded with film with the word "atomic" in the name.

You're gonna need a costume, or at least a cape.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

All the creativity has gone out of photographic equipment naming. "Canon 24-70mm f/2.8 IS" just isn't as appealing as "Rodenstock 45mm Apo-Grandagon" or "Xenotar" or "Kalostigmat".

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
That thing between the two lenses.... it says "B------I" and the switch goes between them. Any idea what it does? (The i might be an l)

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

atomicthumbs posted:

All the creativity has gone out of photographic equipment naming. "Canon 24-70mm f/2.8 IS" just isn't as appealing as "Rodenstock 45mm Apo-Grandagon" or "Xenotar" or "Kalostigmat".

"Hey, check out my Tamron 28-300mm F/3.5-6.3 XR Di VC LD Aspherical [IF] MACRO!"

HPL fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Nov 12, 2011

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

the posted:

That thing between the two lenses.... it says "B------I" and the switch goes between them. Any idea what it does? (The i might be an l)
B is bulb (even though it probably doesn't have a socket for a bulb/cable release) where the shutter stays open as long as you hold the button down. I have no idea what I actually stands for, but it's a fixed shutter speed - probably 1/60.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

the posted:

B is probably Bulb, I probably...Instant? Basically a switch to change between keeping the shutter open for as long as it is pressed, or a preset (usually 1/50 or so) speed.

As for names, Zeiss is still using cool names. Distagon, Makro-Planar etc.

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!
It could have been a T. A lot of old cameras had a Bulb and a Time setting. Bulb stays open for as long as you hold it. Time opens when you click the shutter and closes when you click it again.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
B - bulb, hold the shutter button / lever down and the shutter stays open
T - time, press button once to open shutter, press again to close it
I - instant, some fixed shutter speed, could be anything from 1/25 or 1/30 up to about 1/60. Google your camera's name, maybe somebody has put scans of the owner's manual up somewhere.

My old folder (Ensign Pocket) has I-B-T and I figured out the above from somebody uploading the owner's manual for a very similar camera to Flickr. I measured the focal length and aperture directly, literally with a tape measure. I don't know if that would work on something with more than the simple lens I've got.

Your camera is already loaded with film and ready to go. Get shooting!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
Already started today! Thanks! :)