Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Sounds close to the sauce that goes onto korean fried chicken. It is vaguely ssamjang in nature, that is chili and black bean sauce with garlic, sesame oil, and some brown sugar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

I'm re-seasoning a rescued cast iron skillet. So far it is going well but then I decided to give a coat of oil on my old skillet too. Smoke everywhere!

The smoke was coming from a good 2mm or so of caked on carbon on the bottom (burner side) of the skillet (this skillet is from my great-grandmother). Would there be any hard in wire brushing it off? I don't think that I need to re-season the whole thing, but the carbon was the source of the smoke and I can't see what good it is doing.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Nope, a wire wheel on a drill will work well too.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Yeah that's what's going on. I've been going at it for 10 minutes and am starting to see iron. The stuff is really on there.

edit: I have uncovered family deception!

edit2:

This is what is all over the skillet:

Unless my great-grandmother is a time lord this is actually one of the pans my parents got when she got married, 1960s-ish.

Shifty Pony fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Nov 12, 2011

SKEET SKEET
Jan 2, 2010
Has anyone ever used marrow bones in chili before? Thinking about trying it tomorrow, maybe throwing it in to simmer with the beef. Thoughts?

SnakeParty
Oct 30, 2011
GWSers

Tomorrow I will attempt to make Shawarma. This will be my second attempt. My first attempt the marinade was pretty good; I used some spices from two bags I bought in a market in Tel Aviv (noooo idea what are in them...one is reddish orange, and the other is deep red). In addition to the spices I used squeezed lemon juice, chopped tomatoes and onions, and plain yogurt. I spread it on a baking sheet and cooked it in the oven. The tray was full of juices, but the chicken seemed overcooked. It had a pretty decent flavor it was just a little bit tough. I know shawarma should be cooked on a spit, but I have absolutely no access to anything resembling a spit. I plan on using the same marinade/spices I used last time.

I DESIRE SUCCULENT TENDER CHICKEN SHAWARMA. My question is what would be a good technique to cook chicken shawarma? Should I bake it slowly, and then finish it off with a quick fry? Am I an idiot? Any good recipes for shawarma for future reference? THANKS!

Sporto
Oct 16, 2010

The Slayer walks the earth!

Casu Marzu posted:

Sounds close to the sauce that goes onto korean fried chicken. It is vaguely ssamjang in nature, that is chili and black bean sauce with garlic, sesame oil, and some brown sugar.

Cool, I'll scope this out. Thanks!

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

SKEET SKEET posted:

Has anyone ever used marrow bones in chili before? Thinking about trying it tomorrow, maybe throwing it in to simmer with the beef. Thoughts?

Presumably you're using a certain amount of beef stock in your chili. Just simmer the bones with the stock for an hour or two to extract all manner of beefy deliciousness.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Crusty Nutsack posted:

I wouldn't call them cakey. They're much more of a classic chewy middle with a crisp ring around the outside. Here's a picture of mine:

These are p. sexy cookies.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:

Crusty Nutsack posted:

For our winning brand of chocolate chips, see related tasting.

:iiam:

I'll see how much poo poo I have -- I think I'll do one batch as written there and then one with the coconut lard and some dried cherries.

Randomity
Feb 25, 2007

Careful what you wish,
You may regret it!

Iron Chef Ricola posted:

These are p. sexy cookies.

Yeah uh my craving for cakey cookies just went away and now I need those cookies like right now.

Randomity
Feb 25, 2007

Careful what you wish,
You may regret it!

Turkeybone posted:

:iiam:

I'll see how much poo poo I have -- I think I'll do one batch as written there and then one with the coconut lard and some dried cherries.

The best readily available chocolate chips I have found are Ghiradelli.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:

Randomity posted:

The best readily available chocolate chips I have found are Ghiradelli.

Yeah I went with semi sweet and milk.. pics will be coming soon. I did the standard recipe w/ semi sweet and theyre really really great. Currently cooling are ones with XV coconut oil, milk chocolate, and dried cherries.

unnggggh the coconut oil ones are sooo greezy, so good.

Turkeybone fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Nov 12, 2011

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Seconding the rec for the CI recipe. I've made them and they are pretty awesome. In fact next batch of cookies I make will be those, except with Oatmeal mixed in.

flesh dance
May 6, 2009

Hi, GWS! I've had no experience with slow cooking but I've been wanting to give it a go so I picked up a 4-quart crock pot. For our first try we were going to make simple pulled pork based on this recipe that I found linked in a thread here, but we underestimated the size of the cooker and got a piece of meat that's only 2.27 lbs and looks like it should've been like two or three times bigger to fit properly in the cooker. The original recipe for 5-7 pounds called for 8 hours on low, so what would be recommended for my tiny pathetic little pork roast? Does a crock pot need to be filled to a certain capacity to be used? Will I gently caress it up if I don't put enough food in there?

My roommate is also going to be gifted a few elk roasts, so if anyone has general advice on slow cooking wild game (another thing we don't have any experience with) it would be welcome.

YEAH DOG
Sep 24, 2009

you wanna join my
primitive noise band?
You can use the same timeframe. It's the time that the collagen breaks down. you can probably third or whatever the recipe, too, as long as you have at least a little bit of liquid covering the bottom of the crockpot. At that long of a cooking time, it's going to be shredded pork whether it's 2lbs or 10lbs.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Luminous Cow posted:

I have three whole chicken breasts thawed, and no idea what kind of seasoning to put on them.

http://bbq.about.com/od/rubrecipes/r/bl50617d.htm

~45 minutes @ 425d

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
I have half a bottle of red wine I want to use up, and I found this recipe for chicken in red wine sauce, that looks pretty simple to do.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/chicken-and-red-wine-sauce/detail.aspx

The thing is, the recipe wants me to saute garlic on a medium high heat, then fry the chicken (presumably on the same heat) for ten minutes on each side. It sounds like complete overkill, won't this just burn the chicken and garlic? It looks to me like I should be doing this on a low or medium-low heat instead...

Drinking alone is no fun :(
vvvvvvvv

Gerblyn fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Nov 12, 2011

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Alternately, you could just drink the wine.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Gerblyn posted:

vvvvvvvv

You're never alone, on the internet.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
Looks like you guys were right, I probably would have been better off drinking the wine. The sauce was actually quite nice, though I needed to use corn starch to thicken it, but the chicken was just dry and tasted overcooked. I also had to keep messing about scraping bits of burnt garlic out of the pan... Oh well, live and learn!

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.
I'm looking for some simple cheese snack/hors d'oeuvres type recipes. Something a bit fancier than cheese and crackers, not but not a full meal. Anything that incorporates roasted peppers or sun dried tomatos would be great.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

Gerblyn posted:

I made my first reduction last night, and the recipe called for minced shallots. I ended up using a garlic crusher, but the results were pretty messy. Is there an easy way to mince them by hand, or should I just try and use a blender or something?

mincing is chopping them very small with a knife. do the same steps you would to chop an onion only smaller, and then run your knife back your your pile of chopped shallots until they are minced shallots

putting them in a blender and making a paste might work for your sauce as long as you are very careful not to burn them when you saute them but its not the same as mincing

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Yeah, minced shallots pretty much require chopping with a (very sharp) knife, no real shortcuts around it unless you want puree.

Randomity
Feb 25, 2007

Careful what you wish,
You may regret it!

Gerblyn posted:

I have half a bottle of red wine I want to use up, and I found this recipe for chicken in red wine sauce, that looks pretty simple to do.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/chicken-and-red-wine-sauce/detail.aspx

The thing is, the recipe wants me to saute garlic on a medium high heat, then fry the chicken (presumably on the same heat) for ten minutes on each side. It sounds like complete overkill, won't this just burn the chicken and garlic? It looks to me like I should be doing this on a low or medium-low heat instead...

vvvvvvvv

I know this is late but if you want to revisit this in the future, I would salt and pepper my chicken, sear it on medium high until just cooked through, then set the chicken aside. Turn heat down, add a little oil to the pan if it needs it, add garlic and sautee till softened and fragrant. Deglaze with the wine, scrape up all the bits left from cooking the chicken, then add the rest of the sauce ingredients except salt and pepper. Let that simmer until reduced to where you want it, season at this point. Stir in a couple tablespoons of cold butter, then add the chicken back to the pan with the sauce until warmed through. Eat! You're right, that recipe has the chicken cooking for way too long.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
We had Thanksgiving early this year because I'm actually hoping to be on the road for the actual holiday, and we've had our fill.

So now I'm working on making stock. With a 12 pound bird, that made a whole lot more bones than I expected. And I just sort of dumped whatever was left in the pan right into the stock pot.

Can I split one carcass into two pots? It BARELY fits inside the pot I used.

Was dumping all the crap ok? There was probably some stuffing stuck in the really finicky parts of the carcass so I'm guessing there's always going to be some gunk in there.

Just wondering, first time I've used the WHOLE turkey carcass and it seems hella daunting.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Randomity posted:

I know this is late but if you want to revisit this in the future, I would salt and pepper my chicken, sear it on medium high until just cooked through, then set the chicken aside. Turn heat down, add a little oil to the pan if it needs it, add garlic and sautee till softened and fragrant. Deglaze with the wine, scrape up all the bits left from cooking the chicken, then add the rest of the sauce ingredients except salt and pepper. Let that simmer until reduced to where you want it, season at this point. Stir in a couple tablespoons of cold butter, then add the chicken back to the pan with the sauce until warmed through. Eat! You're right, that recipe has the chicken cooking for way too long.

Thanks! I still have some wine left, so maybe I'll give that a try. Just one question: What do you mean by deglazing?

Edit: Never mind with the question, found the answer on Google.

Gerblyn fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Nov 12, 2011

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
This is somewhat last minute but my dad wants a cleaver for his birthday. I've found various things within my price range but can anyone recommend what I should go for in terms of weight etc? He wants a wood handle I know that much. Unfortunately it has to come from online.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Jose posted:

This is somewhat last minute but my dad wants a cleaver for his birthday. I've found various things within my price range but can anyone recommend what I should go for in terms of weight etc? He wants a wood handle I know that much. Unfortunately it has to come from online.

I have two of these in the No. 4 blade size. They're cheap as hell and own bones.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Jose posted:

This cleaver is amazing:

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/cckcleaver2.html

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Not that it means anything but I'm looking to buy this in the UK if it causes problems.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Would a photo "how to re-season your cast iron skillet" thread be of interest to anyone?

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Cyril Sneer posted:

I'm looking for some simple cheese snack/hors d'oeuvres type recipes. Something a bit fancier than cheese and crackers, not but not a full meal. Anything that incorporates roasted peppers or sun dried tomatos would be great.

I'd love some ideas too, but the first thing that comes to mind is bruschetta. Also, bacon wrapped X (where X is uh pretty much anything, let's be honest here). Also, what's wrong with a cheese plate? I used to live near this awesome cheese shop and the people there just adored assembling gourmet cheese platters for parties. They were the kind of awesome people where I could walk in with a bottle of wine, show it to them, and get five different cheese samples with comments on how each would pair with the wine. Find a place like that and never make hors d'oeuvres again. :)

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

Cyril Sneer posted:

what kind of cheese? and is this for a pre-meal appetizer or just a walk around and munch on things type situation?

herbed shortbread cookies pair really nicely with creamy (or creamy blue) cheeses, then you can stick a third component into the cheese and it wont fall off.

the other night for a passed appetizers event we did orange zest shortbread with smoked blue cheese whipped with enough cream to pipe out of a bag, then stuck into the cheese was a quarter of a roasted fig and a walnut candied with clove and cayenne, and then I drizzled red wine reduction everywhere because the squeezebottle was right there

at the same event we also learned that grilled shrimp skewers are not a great passed app if the guests are carrying wineglasses and don't have plates and the shrimp have tails on them

the best way to make small bites is to think of a food you like and then find a way to make one of the components into a crispy bowl or flat thing

Dolmas are pretty awesome as well and can be made 100% ahead of time

pile of brown fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Nov 13, 2011

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

CaptBubba posted:

Would a photo "how to re-season your cast iron skillet" thread be of interest to anyone?

Eeeeeeeeeeh we had a really long cast-iron pan thread pre-peas. You could or not, but there's not all that much to say about it after. Feel free to make it though.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Jose posted:

Just for veggies or are we talking about a meat cleaver? Cause I think asian veggie cleavers are thinner and meat cleavers are heavier

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Kenning posted:

Eeeeeeeeeeh we had a really long cast-iron pan thread pre-peas. You could or not, but there's not all that much to say about it after. Feel free to make it though.

Maybe it would be a better idea to put it into the GWS wiki instead, then?

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Gerblyn posted:

I know I'm late to comment, but this is a myth. Drinking alone is perfectly fine. A good glass of wine at the end of a hard day of work is one of the greatest pleasures imaginable, and it doesn't matter if you're alone.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Same with a chilly glass of stout or nip of bourbon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Steve Yun posted:

Just for veggies or are we talking about a meat cleaver? Cause I think asian veggie cleavers are thinner and meat cleavers are heavier

A meat cleaver. I looked at santoku knives but he's definitely after a meat cleaver