Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
Do a mix of all three. They all look good.

Edit (so it doesn't get overlooked):

Yeast posted:

Help me hams!

Which of the three test schemes do I paint my Tallarn space mans as?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

:wom: will blow your mind.
Man, they all look good.

Maybe all 3? Each squad a different one? They are close enough that it would not look wrong for each platoon to have a slightly different cloth color and would help you deploy and play.

I am a sucker for contrast and bright colors so if you had to make me choose I'd say the middle guy? But the other two are kick rear end as well.

Limp Wristed Limey
Sep 7, 2010

by Lowtax

Yeast posted:

Help me hams!

I like the middle one best.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I also prefer the middle, but concur that a mix of all three would look spectacular.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I was thinking the exact same thing. Mix all three up so you have a lot of variety in the force, and use something else (squad numbers?) to differentiate the squads.

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
Oxford Comma: Hey guys I want a cool big dog to show off! I want it to be ~special~ like Thor but more couch potato-like because I got babbies in the house!
Everybody: GET A LAB.
Oxford Comma: OK! (gets a a pit/catahoula mix)
Mix all three. The clothes they're wearing aren't uniforms, should they shouldn't look, uh, uniform.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Day 2 of my paint a firebelly in 3 days challenge. I think its coming along nicely.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

FROOOOOOOOG posted:

Hm.

Probably not, huh.

Not digging the combo, what are those heads from though?

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Yeast posted:

Help me hams!

They all look good. The middle and right are my favourites. That yellow in particular is very nice.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

Finally found time to paint again, knocked out 3 more dreadfleet ships, check it out!

http://awfulpaintjob.tumblr.com/

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Yeast posted:

Help me hams!

Middle and left are cool. You could probably mix uniforms for different ranks if you really wanted, like the darker schemes for veterans or commanders or what have you.

FROOOOOOOOG
Jan 28, 2009

Moola posted:

Not digging the combo, what are those heads from though?

Glade Guard. I guess they're meant to be Scout heads but I hate the half-mask things on the 'regular' heads.
An' yeah the combo sucks. It was such a good idea in my head, too.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

crime fighting hog posted:

Finally found time to paint again, knocked out 3 more dreadfleet ships, check it out!

Your lightbox is casting the colors a bit warm, I think. Double check the white balance on your camera.

The Ghostship in particular is outstanding. Picking out those little brown pieces really makes the ship come alive (:ironicat:).

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

Yeast posted:

Help me hams!

Do a mix of that and maybe more colour combinations (though I can't imagine many more sand-themed ones). It'll make the army look more interesting and keep you from getting bored while painting the next hundred models.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Thanks for the feedback ya'll.

Didn't think of varying it up, but now that you all mention it, it's a great idea. Cheers!

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
A light pink also works as desert camouflage (due to the way light reflects off the sand at sunrise), so that's another colour you can try using.

Something like this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Tamiya-British-Panther-Rover-35076/dp/B000LFWEL2

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Huh, I would never have even thought of that. Nice.

The other thing I'm struggling with, Tallarn use this style of heavy weapon;

Which is kinda lame, so I was thinking about mounting them all to large wheel sets, kinda like this;

I love the big iron spokes, but not sure where to source the parts. The Ork Zzap gun is pretty cool, but gently caress paying $25 odd dollars for a set of wheels, each time. Any ideas hams?

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
Oxford Comma: Hey guys I want a cool big dog to show off! I want it to be ~special~ like Thor but more couch potato-like because I got babbies in the house!
Everybody: GET A LAB.
Oxford Comma: OK! (gets a a pit/catahoula mix)

Yeast posted:

I love the big iron spokes, but not sure where to source the parts. The Ork Zzap gun is pretty cool, but gently caress paying $25 odd dollars for a set of wheels, each time. Any ideas hams?

Could you make a mold of the wheels from something, then cast them out of Green Stuff? No idea if this'll work.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

There are a bunch of wheels here:
http://shop.ramshacklegames.co.uk/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=25_27&sort=20a&page=3

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Try hitting dollar stores, craft and thrift shops for cheap stagecoach or steam train toys that you can harvest the wheels from. There is no reason 1" toy wheels should be $12 each.

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

:wom: will blow your mind.
I don't mind the smaller wheels myself but the larger wheels are cool too, might upset the frame if you just tack on larger wheels w/o putting on a back wheel to offset the height change.

Also be sure to put the teams on 60mm bases.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

Nothing useful to say, but those are the ship. :v:

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Your lightbox is casting the colors a bit warm, I think. Double check the white balance on your camera.

Yeah I keep forgetting to do that, they come out a lot more orange before processing and I fix em in picasa, but they're still a bit poo poo.

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!

My only real complaint I'd have for this model is the water dripping off the tentacles; it would be white and foamy since it's falling off the structure, rather than blue. Though, I will say that has less to do with your painting skills and more to do with the decision of the sculptor to add thick, fat dripping water from a ship like that, which will lead to pretty much everyone painting them blue (or green or whatever color ocean you decide to paint).

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
You could always slap some putty on them and make them look like seaweed.

Arson Fire
Oct 8, 2010

Oath Breaker about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!
Well, here's a mycetic spore.

After assembling one of these things, I'm really not a fan of the sculpt. Getting the sides to fit together cleanly without massive gaps is a bit beyond me.
The magnets are the main issue. I think I'll just glue the next one shut before painting it.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Who put that kit out?

Arson Fire
Oct 8, 2010

Oath Breaker about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!
I got it from here http://puppetswar.eu/product.php?id_product=21

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Very nice painting on the pod.

Buffalo squeeze
Dec 19, 2010

Oh noble brogy. Overflowing with meaty wisdom and secret sauce.

Yeast posted:

Help me hams!

Mix all three. They look great and will work together as squads.

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Arson Fire posted:

Well, here's a mycetic spore.

After assembling one of these things, I'm really not a fan of the sculpt. Getting the sides to fit together cleanly without massive gaps is a bit beyond me.
The magnets are the main issue. I think I'll just glue the next one shut before painting it.

That's a beautiful paint job and the sculpt is fantastic. If I played 'Nids, I know I'd be tempted to get it.

Another quick update on my War Walker.

I added more details to the dude and the inside of the cockpit. Eyes are always a problem for me but, ah well.

I've still yet to do highlights on his helmet and his other controller. I think his seat could use some brightening up, as well.

Ashcans posted:

Irate, that Walker looks pretty good so far. The blue is a nice tone, good choice. It is a bit same-ish at the moment, but once you get some more details and gems and stuff on there I think it will pull together. I kind of like the orange leg-bit, so if you change it to look like the vane, try to get some more orange onto the figure.

Thanks Ashcans. It's just straight turquoise right now, the highlights will be coming soon. Yeah, I'm going to go to town on the gems when I'm through with most of the interior details (I love painting gems :allears:).
I'm still not sure about the knee but that might just be because it's a crappy coat. I'll give it some more attention and see how it turns out.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
I'm working again to get a good yellow on my miniatures.

I also have a Dreadnought that I completed a few weeks ago. I'm just now getting back to painting on a daily basis.

I also have some other things that were done even earlier.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Your yellow now is nicely coated, you just need to define the shadows to really make it pop.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

MasterSlowPoke posted:

There are a bunch of wheels here:
http://shop.ramshacklegames.co.uk/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=25_27&sort=20a&page=3

I will do wonderful things to you.

The Dark Project
Jun 25, 2007

Give it to me straight...
Anyone able to recommend some synthetic brushes to me? I am looking to get into oil painting, but I have heard that they're hell on regular brushes. Synthetic is the way to go apparently, but I have no idea where to start. Any advice?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

If you live near a Blick art store, their house-brand synthetic brushes are currently 50% off. I use them for acrylics, and they're easily my favorite at that price point. I don't imagine they'd be ineffective with oils.

Limp Wristed Limey
Sep 7, 2010

by Lowtax
Woohoo managed to get £60 for my Death Company Dreadnought on ebay.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
And finished! I put a lot of work into this model, I hope it shows.

Limp Wristed Limey
Sep 7, 2010

by Lowtax

Bhyo posted:

Looks sweet, the little cloud looks cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty

Bhyo posted:

It really does show. Looks fantastic!

• Locked thread