Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

I bet these new kids have U in their chumhandles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I figure the chumhandle pattern will be EE, BE, BB and GT :v:

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
If there are Trolls in the new universe, they should be nice and peaceful like the pre-Scratch Alternia Trolls just to see Karkat, Terezi, and the rest freak out over how NICE the new trolls are. No Legislators, Subjuggulators, and other violent Alternian groups would have certain characters (Terezi, Gamzee) feel kinda left out from the new Earth, which would be interesting character development for them.

I have this image in my head of the "old" Trolls looking at the happy and peaceful new Trolls and seeing that things like the "new" Trolls being pretty and fashionable, kind and free of the blood caste system, which don't fit what they've been told what Trolls are "supposed" to be. Then they look at things like their outfits, their beliefs and their goals and see that they're little more than relics from a time that is gone forever. Even if it wasn't for SBurb causing the destruction of the new world, they'd never fit in with their own people. :smith:

closeted republican fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Nov 13, 2011

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Homestuck posted:

You tuck your trusty JUNIOR BATTERMASTER'S BOWLBUSTER STIRRING SOLUTION 50000 into your strife deck

Never change, Hussie.

marsattacks
Apr 2, 2011
New update.

Post scratch Rose dressed her bunny up like a wizard and then gave it to her daughter. :3:

Also, Bro's is totally a smuppet. Poor Jane.

FewtureMD
Dec 19, 2010

I am very powerful, of course.

R-Mom posted:

BFFSIES 4EVERZ.

Is Mom going to be a valley girl now? :swoon:

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."

Homestuck posted:

you and she are totally BFFSIES 4EVERZ, her words.

Oh dear god.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
"BFFSIES 4EVERZ", her words.

I have no idea what to expect from momkid.

e: beaten

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice
Oh god. Kid mom is going to type like "idk my bff jill". This could be the worst thing. It could also be the best thing. :catstare:

Walliard
Dec 29, 2010

Oppan Windfall Style

marsattacks posted:

Post scratch Rose dressed her bunny up like a wizard and then gave it to her daughter. :3:

The wording's a little vague as to whether it was made by Rose or "Mom". I'm thinking it's the latter.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
We need to see Kid Mom, and we need to see it yesterday.

EDIT: Also, implications of Bro's bunny is pretty good too.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Nov 13, 2011

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

I'm hoping Bro's bunny was some horrific amalgamation of Cal and the bunny. Or some appalling plush rump bunny. Oh my god, he could very well be the most hosed up kid unless he has the irony skills to pull something like that off.

marsattacks
Apr 2, 2011

Walliard posted:

The wording's a little vague as to whether it was made by Rose or "Mom". I'm thinking it's the latter.

quote:

The other one used to belong to your friend's MOM, and she dressed it as a wizard, which was also unapologetically more representative of her interests than yours.

But yeah, it's unclear whether it got dressed up by RoseMom or scratchMom (oh man we really need a new name for her), but probably the latter. Which is weird, because I thought she was into science?

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
Oh god Scratch!Mom sounds awesome.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

marsattacks posted:

But yeah, it's unclear whether it got dressed up by RoseMom or scratchMom (oh man we really need a new name for her), but probably the latter. Which is weird, because I thought she was into science?

No, Rose just thought it was a passive-aggressive stab at her, but Mom definitely unironically loved wizards and they could have been gushing over how awesome wizards are the whole time.

Also I predict that Jane's Dad will be some bizzaro version of regular Dad who has a full bushy beard.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

marsattacks posted:

She also had a giant Zazzerpan statue take up her main foyer, but I can't remember if her love of wizards was sincere, ironic, or like Dad with his clowns, doing it for his child's sake.

e: f; b.

I hope Bro's bunny is just some horrible smuppet. Complete with impudent jutting buttocks.

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice
Mom's love of wizards was totally sincere in my opinion, Rose was just projecting her own cynicism on account of her ASPD complex disorder.

quote:

Both were heirlooms passed down to them, and they decided to coordinate gift ideas and send you dressed up versions of their beloved childhood toys.

That makes it sound like the bunnies were dressed up by Jake and kidMom, not momRose.

Also, these bunnies heavily mesh with the idea that all the slime babies came from the pre-scratch universe, since the knitted bunny wouldn't exist if Rose gave it to her daughter instead of knitting it and giving it to John. I still think this means that LE will need this timeline to be scratched too in order to enter our universe.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

creationist believer posted:

Also, these bunnies heavily mesh with the idea that all the slime babies came from the pre-scratch universe, since the knitted bunny wouldn't exist if Rose gave it to her daughter instead of knitting it and giving it to John. I still think this means that LE will need this timeline to be scratched too in order to enter our universe.

I think I'm definitely going with HE IS ALREADY HERE on this one. The theory that the pre-scratch kids went to the post-scratch universe and vice versa makes too much sense, and if that's true his calling card glitch is already in place. And we certainly seem to have some evidence of his handiwork in Jake and Betty Crocker.

standard owl
Jan 9, 2011

I like the idea of Mom and Bro actually being sincere in their weird interests, with Rose and Dave just misinterpreting things to fit their 13-year-old coolkid worldviews. So now we get genuinely saccharine sweet kid Mom and...well, fandom seems to be preemptively hoping that Bro is actually just really into puppets and has an unironic love of anime things like those shades and that katana. I think Hussie could make that hilarious :v:

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

FewtureMD posted:

Is Mom going to be a valley girl now? :swoon:

I'm going to assume she was drunk when she typed that. I'm also going to assume she's drunk always.

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice

pumpinglemma posted:

I think I'm definitely going with HE IS ALREADY HERE on this one. The theory that the pre-scratch kids went to the post-scratch universe and vice versa makes too much sense, and if that's true his calling card glitch is already in place. And we certainly seem to have some evidence of his handiwork in Jake and Betty Crocker.

I don't think that theory makes much sense. The babies in the original session went back with the artifacts they had when John created them. If Jane had created the babies that went to the pre-scratch Earth, they probably would have ended up with bunnies in a fedora and wizard hat. It's much more likely the case that the babies John created went to both pre-scratch and post-scratch Earth, so the babies in the pre-scratch universe were created in the session that spawned them. No LE glitch. However, these babies are not from the session that spawned them, so there is the LE glitch. A scratch of the post-scratch universe would be the one where HE IS ALREADY HERE. The unsubtlety of the Crocker and English names are classic Hussie misdirection to make you say "Holy poo poo!" and miss the real clues. :tinfoil:

Since I'm full of dumb theories right now, here's another. momRose, like The Sufferer, had flashes of memories from the pre-scratch universe. However, the only memories that ever surfaced were of Jaspers and how much she missed him. She used 4th window technology to appearify him (like Jake has done while working on Jade's present to John). That's where Jaspers went and who the woman he talked about with Nepeta was.

snucks
Nov 3, 2008

Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

Arrhythmia posted:

I hope Bro's bunny is just some horrible smuppet. Complete with impudent jutting buttocks.
it is clearly lil cal, bro. these are the origins of lil cal.

Alectai
Dec 31, 2008

It doesn't matter how long I live, I will never have a hat as dashing as this.

pumpinglemma posted:

I'm pretty sure I know why a "Glitched Session" is unwinnable at any rate, there's a lot of implication that we're dealing with a Life/Hope/Heart/Void team in this group.

Which means that there is no Space Player, which means the means for creating a Genesis Frog aren't present, and that there is no Time Player, which means that there's nobody to prepare a do-over if things go wrong. And Sburb is incredibly difficult even with a time-traveller keeping you out of the worst fuckups.

I mean, think about it for a bit, we already know that the game adapts itself to the culture of whatever race participates in. So how could you have a game that you can't beat? And that Doc Scratch used the term "Glitch" to describe it, as opposed to describing some kind of personal failure on their part which allowed it.

A glitch that ensures that a critical event flag can never be triggered (Breed the Genesis Frog) would very much make a game unwinnable. Even if you beat the Black King, the actual ending can never happen. And if the other "Critical Player" is also on the wrong end of a Scratch, then the normal Fuckup Recovery button is nowhere to be found.

An Ironman Mode game that can't be beaten by it's very nature, it's no real surprise that the Troll Ancestors Scratched their session.

So the only way to cut off the chain is to have the Time and Space players rejoin the post-scratch Session, and complete it before a third reversal can occur (Which means that Lord English has already won). Which makes Jade bringing their planets and the Battlefield significant, since she's also bringing all of the tools necessary to create and nurture a Genesis Frog along with her.

tl;dr: The Lord English Glitch is "You don't have the tools to make a Genesis Frog", and pointing out the "You weren't created in that session!" was a red-herring. True, but completely meaningless in it's proper context. He hasn't won yet, but he's basically entered the victory lap at this point, and it'd take a completely unexpected shift to make him lose.

Alectai fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Nov 13, 2011

H.P. Shivcraft
Mar 17, 2008

STAY UNRULY, YOU HEARTLESS MONSTERS!

Ammat The Ankh posted:

I'm going to assume she was drunk when she typed that. I'm also going to assume she's drunk always.

Scratched Mom is Ke$ha and $/s in addition to txtspeak is her typing quirk.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

More bunny shenanigans! :3:

(would touching the two bunnies together do something horrible to time/space?)

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

snucks posted:

it is clearly lil cal, bro. these are the origins of lil cal.
the entirety of Homestuck is actually a lil cal origin story

Act 7 will be an epilogue segueing into an entirely new adventure with Lil Cal as the main protagonist.

Strongylocentrotus
Jan 24, 2007

Nab him, jab him, tab him, grab him - stop that pigeon NOW!

Whitenoise Poster posted:

I bet these new kids have U in their chumhandles.

Thinking the same thing, they'll have U instead of T to make it an RNA reference this time around. Or the chumhandle abbreviations will be three letters long, i.e. they'll be codons. :v:

Boneless Jogger
Apr 20, 2010

Alectai posted:

tl;dr: The Lord English Glitch is "You don't have the tools to make a Genesis Frog", and pointing out the "You weren't created in that session!" was a red-herring. True, but completely meaningless in it's proper context. He hasn't won yet, but he's basically entered the victory lap at this point, and it'd take a completely unexpected shift to make him lose.

Wasn't it mentioned at one point that the Beat Mesa and its equivalents are always in the Hero of Time's land? If so, how can they even scratch in the first place if this happens?

firestruck
Dec 28, 2010

nullify me

Boneless Jogger posted:

Wasn't it mentioned at one point that the Beat Mesa and its equivalents are always in the Hero of Time's land? If so, how can they even scratch in the first place if this happens?

LE plans for everything. I'm sure he knows that the kids are bringing their planets and poo poo to this new universe or something like that.

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice

Quotetype posted:

LE plans for everything. I'm sure he knows that the kids are bringing their planets and poo poo to this new universe or something like that.

Since it was the deal with Echidna that the pre-scratch Trolls made that led the conditions of their post-scratch universe, and Jade's deal with Echidna was to bring all the planets along, that would seem to imply that the denizens (or at least just Echidna) are in on Lord English's plot. They were just starting to seem benevolent too.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
I tried reading Homestuck and got up to the part where the third character, the "Cool" one, was freaking out over puppets, then lost my place.

How loving long is Homestuck? I don't know if I have it in me to try to get all the way back to that point, then get to the end here if it's as titanic as I worry it is.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

rotinaj posted:

I tried reading Homestuck and got up to the part where the third character, the "Cool" one, was freaking out over puppets, then lost my place.

How loving long is Homestuck? I don't know if I have it in me to try to get all the way back to that point, then get to the end here if it's as titanic as I worry it is.

I think less than a third of the way through.

Keep with it, it gets better as time goes on but it really starts picking up when Dave is introduced. :allears: He's so dreamy. :allears:

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

rotinaj posted:

It's the longest existing webcomic I think. Over 6000 pages.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Android Blues posted:

That's MSPA as a whole, not Homestuck (which is a hair over 4000 pages, if I remember correctly.)

As for Homestuck's length, well, someone calculated it to be about a 1/3-1/2 the length of the Lord of the Rings, if I remember correctly.

EDIT: Ah, 2/3rds. I did not remember correctly.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

rotinaj posted:

The word-count is approximately two-thirds that of Lord of the Rings, if that's the perspective you need.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Android Blues posted:

About 2k of those are taken up by the first three adventures. Homestuck starts on 1901 and is currently on 6029.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

rotinaj posted:

You're at something like page (panel?) 325 out of... 4128. You're in for the long haul... but what a goddamn haul it is.

edit: why am I always last :saddowns:

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Also, those links below each panel/update/whatever? The ones that say "Save Game/Auto-save/load game"?

Those actually do things - if you save and then press load game later, it returns you to the last page you saved on (or read with auto-save enabled). Uses cookies so if you delete those you lose that, but still handy if you read at a slowish pace.

voltroon
Apr 29, 2009

rotinaj posted:

It's around 5000 pages of updates, with as much text as the Lord of the Rings books (?) and several lengthy flashes, including one that lasts 15 minutes.

e;fb: Jesus you people are fast to jump on HOW loving MASSIVE IS HOMESTUCK.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.

rotinaj posted:

Well, let's see.

The first page of Homestuck was MSPA page 1901.

Dave freaked out about puppets around page 2361.

The current page is page 6029.

Since you've left off, MSPA has grown by roughly the size of the first two books of The Lord of the Rings, and that's just in word count.