Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Save Russian Jews
Jun 7, 2007

who the fuck is this guy anyway, i can't even see his face

Lipstick Apathy
I posit that Chael was just trying to keep his composure in the presence of that ridiculous hat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries
The hat makes the understandable face look even more ridiculous.

It's like JT's ear but all over.

RevlisYdoc
Jun 24, 2011

This owl. This fucking owl will not stop staring into my soul. Help.
UFC 142: its kinda weird lol

Shoobis
Nov 10, 2009
Dan Herbertson got fired =/

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

Shoobis posted:

MMA Journalism is dead.

2006 - 2011

Peas On Earth
Nov 6, 2009
https://www.mmafanhouse.com is officially a link to http://www.huffingtonpost.com/sports/ and there is no MMA content.

What the poo poo was the point of that.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Behold, a triumph for freedom of the press

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

Shoobis posted:

What's happening with the rest of the MMAFighting staff? I never read any of their actual articles or anything, but Helwani, Esther Lin, and Dan Herbertson are all uniquely positioned to make interesting, unique content, and if the new owners gently caress that up they're stupid.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Tickle Me Chelmno posted:

What's happening with the rest of the MMAFighting staff? I never read any of their actual articles or anything, but Helwani, Esther Lin, and Dan Herbertson are all uniquely positioned to make interesting, unique content, and if the new owners gently caress that up they're stupid.

Herbertson's been talking back and forth with one of the HDNet guys on twitter, I'm hoping he lands there.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

fatherdog posted:

Herbertson's been talking back and forth with one of the HDNet guys on twitter, I'm hoping he lands there.

I keep trying to add Mark Cuban to wikipedia's list of saints but some jerk keeps removing it. Gods?

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
I have no doubt that mainstream media will produce at least a couple gems in the form of opinion pieces by people who have now seen a total of 1 minute 4 seconds of MMA. I really can't wait until we find the best one.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
there will hopefully be a public push for more padding on the gloves so the fights will last longer and so fighters can't do anything gay like grab each other on the ground

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Thermos H Christ posted:

I have no doubt that mainstream media will produce at least a couple gems in the form of opinion pieces by people who have now seen a total of 1 minute 4 seconds of MMA. I really can't wait until we find the best one.

It would still likely be better than anything Jonathan Snowden has written.

Keven. Just. Keven
May 25, 2010

MY GOD. THE WILL... THE FIGHTING SPIRIT... JUST WHEN YOU THINK IT'S OVER, TSM COMES BACK STRONGER THAN EVER.
I hope they make the rules so you have to wear 12 oz boxing gloves and speedos and it's against the rules to win a fight if dana white wants to use the other guy to make Mexicans like MMA.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Thermos H Christ posted:

I was honestly expecting your post to be the first example of such journalism.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Thermos H Christ posted:

Honestly, it could have been worse. It wasn't a total bloodbath. There weren't egregious dick kicks, or major fouls(no real journalist watches the undercard, right?). The ref stoppage was right on the money. The worst that mainstream journos can do is point out that the whole affair took less than 90 seconds with 60 minutes of talking heads to fill the rest of the time.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

Thermos H Christ posted:

i am enjoying the idea of how bad it mightve looked to have two guys with around ten fights a piece fighting for the heavyweight title in a match that was decided by a sloppy overhand right. also i am enjoying the idea that mma fans are contrite about it

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
a fat guy lost to a bald guy. wonderful.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
if he was such a great guy he would have grown more hair

RevlisYdoc
Jun 24, 2011

Thermos H Christ posted:

SLIDESHOW: FIVE REASONS ULTIMATE FIGHTING THE SPORT WILL DIE OUT
1. fights end in one minute, so much for going the distance
2. fights that don't end in one minute go between 5 to 25 minutes
3. floyd 'money' mayweather could beat the ultimate fighting championship in two minutes
4. who the gently caress are these other guys, if they were any good they would be on tv
5. main event ended in one minute four seconds when the show was scheduled for an hour, the fight should have gone at least 55 minutes
Click here to share this bleacherreport.com article!

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

Bundt Cake posted:

i am enjoying the idea of how bad it mightve looked to have two guys with around ten fights a piece fighting for the heavyweight title in a match that was decided by a sloppy overhand right. also i am enjoying the idea that mma fans are contrite about it

PRo wrestler who just lost is immediately back in contention also.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

This is well I suppose it's journalism of the sort relating to MMA.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifes...wFSN_story.html

There are so many incorrect points and actually seems like a flat out refusal to research his points. I mean jesus christ boxing hasn't used 15 rounds since the IBF in 1988.

RevlisYdoc
Jun 24, 2011

Wait, wait, wait a loving minute.

You can kick people in the UFC?
E: Also, I don't know much about hockey, but out of all of the dangerous elements in hockey, you go with the loving sticks?

RevlisYdoc fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Nov 18, 2011

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

RevlisYdoc posted:

Wait, wait, wait a loving minute.

You can kick people in the UFC?
E: Also, I don't know much about hockey, but out of all of the dangerous elements in hockey, you go with the loving sticks?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnP18StCoHA

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

Akileese posted:

This is well I suppose it's journalism of the sort relating to MMA.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifes...wFSN_story.html

There are so many incorrect points and actually seems like a flat out refusal to research his points. I mean jesus christ boxing hasn't used 15 rounds since the IBF in 1988.

The funny thing is that MMA (sorry, "Ultimate Fighting") isn't even that dangerous. gently caress, he even quotes Dana saying that and then says that it's "brutal". I'd say more but I'm just awed at how retarded this is.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

quote:

There were no tense moments during the weigh-ins, but instead, more comedy than usual. Castillo showed up wearing a tuxedo. Tom Lawlor, a former pro wrestler who is known for dressing up in unique outfits at weigh-ins, came in looking like a Mexican rapper and held up his hand in an “iron claw,” a 1980s wrestling reference that only a few in the crowd seemed to understand.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/news?slug=dm-meltzer_ufc139_weighin111811

:psyduck:

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Dave Meltzer, you do some interesting drugs.

Dave Grool
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Show me the article where Meltzer proved he knew nothing about mixed martial arts

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Another Snowden classic: Eddie Alvarez And MMA's Culture Of Quitting

Pimp Cauldron
Aug 3, 2002

A twisted pictoral of phoenix, AZ

i wish the ball sport analogies were the worst part of that article. but they arent.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?
That article started off well enough. It looked like he was condemning sports culture that forces athlete's to destroy their bodies just to please fans. Then there was the bullshit. I watched that fight, and saying Alvarez "gave up" is stupid. I'm just going to pretend the article finished intelligently.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.
MikeChiappetta Mike Chiappetta MMA
Sorry, I heard that wrong. It was Hendo who didnt want to go out for Rd 4, not Shogun. Trying to work & listen is tricky. Apologies! #UFC139

danhendo Dan Henderson
That's bullshit, Mike.

Mike Chippetty, you have a big right headed your way.

In a better world Dan Henderson could just go around knocking out all MMA journalists.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
That doesn't even make any sense - Hendo nearly finished Shogun in the 3rd, why would he not want to come out for the 4th?

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

1st AD posted:

That doesn't even make any sense - Hendo nearly finished Shogun in the 3rd, why would he not want to come out for the 4th?

Because for journalists, every fight has to fit a retarded narrative. Anderson was just toying with Chael, Fedor could have finished Brett Rogers whenever he felt like and GSP didn't break Hardy's arm out of niceness.

Save Russian Jews
Jun 7, 2007

who the fuck is this guy anyway, i can't even see his face

Lipstick Apathy

1st AD posted:

Have you ever almost finished a sandwich and then been like "oh man I can't eat any more" and then ten minutes later you finish it anyway

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Save Russian Jews posted:

Have you ever almost finished a sandwich and then been like "oh man I can't eat any more" and then ten minutes later you finish it anyway

This is probably the best analysis for a fight I've ever seen.

RevlisYdoc
Jun 24, 2011

Save Russian Jews posted:

All the time.

Opal
May 10, 2005

some by their splendor rival the colors of the painters, others the flame of burning sulphur or of fire quickened by oil.
racist

Boregasm
Nov 18, 2009
http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2011/12/7/2618810/rashad-evans-joke-about-the-penn-state-scandal-is-no-laughing-matter

I figured Snowden would be the one to write the hypersensitive bullshit opinion piece on Rashad's Penn State joke, but this one is awful enough to fit the bill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

every writer at bloodyelbow could get raped and I would have no sympathy. NONE.

• Locked thread