Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

fknlo posted:

From the military/former military people I know, this has to be the last thing that would ever come up as a justification for something like this. There's probably a Navy or AF aircraft dumping fuel over your house right now!

This used to be the case, but we now only dump in an IFE situation. If we come home early because our activity cancelled we will fly in circles because that's the only we can get our flight hours met (because we don't have enough fuel).

iyaayas01 posted:

For what it's worth, the AF already re-engined a small fleet (the RC-135s) and a large fleet (the non-E KC-135s), and is in the process of getting ready to re-engine the E-8s, albeit with a revised JT3D design as opposed to the CFM56s they put on the RC-135s and KC-135s.

J3TD = TF33

Godholio fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Nov 9, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Godholio posted:

This used to be the case, but we now only dump in an IFE situation.

In fight entertainment? God you guys must be bored up there.

Dr. Klas
Sep 30, 2005
Operating.....done!
I think I know Godholio's favourite acronym.

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW

Ola posted:

The Pond Racer has to be the inspiration for George Lucas' pod racer.

Two I really like:

Quickie:

Long-EZ in its sleeping position:

And in its natural habitat:

Long-EZ you say?

The Long-EZ inspired the Velocity Elite series aircraft.

which in turn inspired the Rocket Racing League aircraft.

When is that going to get off the ground anyways? They are years behind aren't they? :iiam:

rcman50166 fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Nov 9, 2011

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001
Airbus 330 floats in midair.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c22XRtCEfV8

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

iyaayas01 posted:

For what it's worth, the AF already re-engined a small fleet (the RC-135s) and a large fleet (the non-E KC-135s), and is in the process of getting ready to re-engine the E-8s, albeit with a revised JT3D design as opposed to the CFM56s they put on the RC-135s and KC-135s.

I was under the impression that the E-8s were going to be re-engined with Pratt JT8D-219s.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL
I saw a picture today.

That right there is a Vulcan flying over the B-24 'Lady Be Good' that went down over Libya during WWII.

Slo-Tek fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Nov 10, 2011

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I hate Lady Be Good's story. :(

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

Godholio posted:

I hate Lady Be Good's story. :(

Apparently it got dragged out of the desert and was last seen at a Libyan airbase?

Probably available to a motivated buyer for the price of a couple AK-47's and a trailer rental.

Manny
Jun 15, 2001

Like fruitcake!

Slo-Tek posted:

I saw a picture today.

That right there is a Vulcan flying over the B-24 'Lady Be Good' that went down over Libya during WWII.

Amazing photo :)

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

Navy's drone helicopters are going to start packing laser-guided missiles now.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

grover posted:

I don't get the mission here. What does the Navy want to do with a slow, short-legged, micro-helicopter with a couple hellfires on it?

Wiki thinks it has to be within line of sight? That is just weird.

Slo-Tek fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Nov 10, 2011

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

Slo-Tek posted:

I don't get the mission here. What does the Navy want to do with a slow, short-legged, micro-helicopter with a couple hellfires on it?

Navy wants to fly helicopters off ships too small for helicopters, and for missions too dangerous to send manned helicopters into. They've already deployed them in Libya and in anti-piracy missions in recon missions, and decided they also want to be able to reach out and touch someone, too.

FEMA summer camp
Jan 22, 2006

Slo-Tek posted:

I saw a picture today.

This is awesome.

I wish Vulcans were still being used, maybe upgraded to keep up with the times and used as a long endurance bomb truck like the B-52s.

Slo-Tek you post the best pictures. Have any more?

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

grover posted:

gently caress everything about this.

Exi7wound
Aug 22, 2004

LOGANO
Remember my name... you'll be screaming it later.

Ridge_Runner_5 posted:

B-52 MITO takeoff

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJ7niLYSVFo

So when they say "Flush the bombers"... yeah man. :)

It occurs to me that if I saw this happen, and didn't know what or why... it would scare the piss out of me.

Exi7wound fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Nov 10, 2011

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001

Slo-Tek posted:

Ultimate Weapons on Netflix has a good section on it.
http://movies.netflix.com/WiPlayer?movieid=70209910&trkid=4243241&t=Ultimate+Weapons%3A+Robotic+Warriors

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Godholio posted:

J3TD = TF33

MrChips posted:

I was under the impression that the E-8s were going to be re-engined with Pratt JT8D-219s.

Durr, I read and comprehend good...there are many reasons I didn't want to fly for the AF, but one of them is that my eyesight is apparently terrible and can't tell the difference between a 3 and an 8. Yeah, I meant to say JT8D, got my 3s and 8s confused. One of the reasons they're pushing upgraded JT8Ds as an upgrade for TF33s is because they are argued to be somewhat cheaper than upgrading to CFM-56s due to the JT8Ds being similarly shaped to the JT3D/TF33s, therefore there are fewer structural modifications that need to be performed.

Slo-Tek posted:

Worth mentioning that the Navy has done this before, 50 years ago. Fire Scout isn't intended as a replacement for manned helicopters, it's intended to compliment them.

Finally, if you're going to talk BUFFs doing MITO, at least post a real MITO, not the watered down safety conscious bullshit one they do today. Hell, with the one from '09 they don't even break the flightline speed limit as they're driving from the alert facility to the aircraft. 15 second intervals > 40 second intervals. Also with water injection. Just to prove they weren't only showing off for the movie cameras, here's a faux-real world one, with a bonus KC-135.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

iyaayas01 posted:

Durr, I read and comprehend good...there are many reasons I didn't want to fly for the AF, but one of them is that my eyesight is apparently terrible and can't tell the difference between a 3 and an 8. Yeah, I meant to say JT8D, got my 3s and 8s confused. One of the reasons they're pushing upgraded JT8Ds as an upgrade for TF33s is because they are argued to be somewhat cheaper than upgrading to CFM-56s due to the JT8Ds being similarly shaped to the JT3D/TF33s, therefore there are fewer structural modifications that need to be performed.

Oh good, a six-year newer design. :rolleyes: Updating from the late '60s to the early '70s...sounds about loving right.

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

We did this for Movember:

molima by Brian.M.K, on Flickr

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002
More dog whistles than a Petco

Slo-Tek posted:

HAHAHA, Hellfire missiles? No can't carry them (too much weight). It carries a 70mm rocket that has been retrofitted with a laser seeking head. Basically it'll be just groovy against anything without any protection.

Rot posted:

Sweet!

Tremblay fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Nov 10, 2011

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

Tremblay posted:

HAHAHA, Hellfire missiles? No can't carry them (too much weight). It carries a 70mm rocket that has been retrofitted with a laser seeking head. Basically it'll be just groovy against anything without any protection.
A typical 70mm Hydra has a warhead roughly equivalent to two RPG-7 rounds. So, Fire Scouts aren't going to be blowing up hardened buildings with one, but it's more than enough to take out a car or really ruin someone's day.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Slo-Tek posted:

Is this some sort of offspring from that clusterfuck littoral combat ship? I remember one of the modules was supposed to be a drone aircraft hanger.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Godholio posted:

Oh good, a six-year newer design. :rolleyes: Updating from the late '60s to the early '70s...sounds about loving right.

Especially considering the JT8D is less powerful than the JT3D. I always liked both those engines. Something about the "We're still figuring out this whole "turbofan" thing"-ness of them.

Edit: Nevermind, it seems the JT8D-200s have similar power to the JT3s and are most likely what would replace them.

Previa_fun fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Nov 10, 2011

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

grover posted:

A typical 70mm Hydra has a warhead roughly equivalent to two RPG-7 rounds. So, Fire Scouts aren't going to be blowing up hardened buildings with one, but it's more than enough to take out a car or really ruin someone's day.

And it's not like the scouts are meant to be used against someone elses actually, you know, military. They will be just fine for blowing up funnytalkers in rowboats and hiluxes, which is what the military wants most these days.

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002

grover posted:

I've probably typed and deleted 8 responses to this. Stupid public forums.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Godholio posted:

I've never understood the rationale behind the decision either. The Air Force and their contractors already have all the infrastructure to work with the CFM56; why would you go and introduce a new engine type, especially on an airframe that has never used that type of engine (Boeing did all the engineering work to hang CFM56s on a 707 back in the late 1970s, so it isn't like it would be a huge job to make it work on the E-8s). Even with the lower unit cost of the JT8D versus the CFM, I can't see how there would be any cost savings when you factor in the cost of engineering the solution for a relatively small fleet of aircraft.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Agreed on all points.

Edit: This is pretty neat:

Firing a Spitfire MG after 70 years in a bog.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Nov 10, 2011

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE

Rot posted:

Loving this. Is that an AH-64 Moustache?

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

Rot posted:

We do that to a bunch of our locomotives each year :)

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Godholio posted:

At least these engines will probably work...half of the time when we upgrade to something "new" (read: several decades old, but newer than what we were using before) it doesn't even loving work. Still dumb though.

Tremblay posted:

I've probably typed and deleted 8 responses to this. Stupid public forums.

There is a thread over in GiP that may be more to your liking. :v:

MrChips posted:

I've never understood the rationale behind the decision either.

Who does P&W own in the office that made the decision? Sadly I'm only about 25% joking.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

iyaayas01 posted:

here's a faux-real world one, with a bonus KC-135.

Three bonus KC-135's. Three!

I remember seeing a MITO by the National Guard KC-135's at Sky Harbor Airport in Phoenix many years ago, before they were re-engined. I was on top of the parking garage, and it was awesome as 6 of them rolled out, and completely disrupted the regular commercial flight ops at the airport.

I remember thinking at the time that all the folks in Tempe were going to be wearing our their phones that night, as the KC's were all running full power water injected takeoffs to the east (at the time, Tempe people really liked to complain about the aircraft noise from Sky Harbor).

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

Boomerjinks posted:

Loving this. Is that an AH-64 Moustache?

Nope, a Sikorsky S-76a mustache.

Nam Taf posted:

We do that to a bunch of our locomotives each year :)

Fun. I'm honestly a bit surprised at how positive the response was from management and it's been a big hit locally.

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002

iyaayas01 posted:

At least these engines will probably work...half of the time when we upgrade to something "new" (read: several decades old, but newer than what we were using before) it doesn't even loving work. Still dumb though.

There is a thread over in GiP that may be more to your liking. :v:

Who does P&W own in the office that made the decision? Sadly I'm only about 25% joking.

:psyduck: to all of it.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Spitfire dug out of a peat bog in Ireland, where it crashed in 1941:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-15652440

In remarkable condition considering it crashed 70 years ago, mainly due to the anoxic conditions of the bog.

Page has video of them cleaning up and firing one of the Browning .303s.

dayman
Mar 12, 2009

Is it a yes, or...

Phanatic posted:

Spitfire dug out of a peat bog in Ireland, where it crashed in 1941:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-15652440

In remarkable condition considering it crashed 70 years ago, mainly due to the anoxic conditions of the bog.

Page has video of them cleaning up and firing one of the Browning .303s.

I wish it was one of the later ones with the Hispano HS.404 20mm cannon. It was still pretty rad seeing them fire the Browning.

Sexual Lorax
Mar 17, 2004

HERE'S TO FUCKING

Fun Shoe
I don't know if it was this thread that turned me on to concept ships, but this made me chuckle:

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Sexual Lorax posted:

I don't know if it was this thread that turned me on to concept ships, but this made me chuckle:

Oh the things that could have been...what would have Aeroflot space accident rate been like?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
So there's this new sculpture in Philly they put up right by the convention center. I think it's kind of sad:

vvvv
It's an S-2, that looks to have been airworthy in '07. I wonder what happened to it.

Phanatic fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Nov 14, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ridge_Runner_5
May 26, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Looks like the remains of the flyer from Flight of the Phoenix...

Wait, it's just the angle. Looks more like an A-26...

But it reminds me of the C-130 firefighter wreck a few years back. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bDNCac2N1o