Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

bobzmuda posted:

Agreed. Biking was just the right speed to really explore the city. Also need to be able to listen to the radio stations while biking. I would probably spend a ton of time just slowly exploring and listening to the radio n

Hell yes, headphones for your cellphone/mp3 player. That would be great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kymera
Sep 6, 2006

The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world

Phuzun posted:

That's an awesome idea. I wonder how much they will expand the capabilities of the phone in the game. I wouldn't be surprised if you could also access the in-game Internet browser on your phone.

Ghosts Love Wubs
Oct 9, 2009
The original Saints Row had an MP3 player which was a nice addition, being able to buy your favourite songs from the radio and listen to them whenever was nice, missed out on the DJs though.

One thing that really bothered me about going from Saints Row to GTAIV was the phone. Saints Row didn't really use it much aside from a way to get taxis or what have you, but any phone number you saw in the game world you could call up for 10-30 seconds of humour or a secret. GTAIV had a bunch of phone numbers on billboards etc but none of them were call-able and I felt Rockstar dropped the ball there.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
You know what GTA:V needs? Hats.

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

More like the ability to pick up my loving hat after I get hit by a car and I have to leave it in the gutter for no reason.

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

El Seano posted:

Definitely agree, it's a great looking game overall. The city as a sandbox is loving awful but the story is very good and it's the best game to play in order to feel like you're in a mob movie for sure, it's even got a prison section too! Voice acting was good too I felt even if the characters were a little weak.

All the weather effects are great but especially the snow, the way it piles up on the roofs of parked cars and flies off when you drive away is cool. TBH Mafia II is the first game I've played since Max Payne 2 where I'd spend time trying to make sure I'd done every interactive thing possible before moving on.

On that note, The Saboteur was really unfairly overlooked by gamers and game journalists alike but it's so, so good. One of the best things about it is that there's just so much to do: your entire map is covered in hundreds of things to blow up, and blowing them up is not only fun and rewarding in its own right but it also makes actual missions easier since it means one less guard tower or tank to worry about. It's like popping bubblewrap, only the bubblewrap is Nazi hardware and you're popping it with dynamite.

Plus the black-and-white look was really good and the way the music in cars would play scratchy and lo-fi for a few seconds before segueing into modern CD-quality was so great :swoon:

Phuzun posted:

I think a big part of this is music licensing rights. Apparently it's more expensive to license music that people can play at any time versus music that plays in a playlist the player has no control over. It's the same reason Pandora only lets you skip a few songs.

GTA IV has a fairly useless feature where you can call a number to find out the name and artist of whatever's playing in the radio. This was also done to save on licensing costs.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

0 rows returned posted:

More like the ability to pick up my loving hat after I get hit by a car and I have to leave it in the gutter for no reason.

Seriously, what the gently caress Niko you lazy bastard! Pick up those glasses and that snazzy Ushanka it is cold!

Corzaa
Aug 1, 2006

0 rows returned posted:

The ability to pick up other peoples hats would be awesome.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Corzaa posted:

The ability to pick up other peoples hats would be awesome.

So you want GTA to borrow Total Overdose's hat stealing mechanic? I'm okay with that!

Kannen
Apr 24, 2007

make this page more CAW CAW!!
One of the missions should be stealing cop's hats and running away to strategically placed t.v.s and radios playing Benny-hill style music.

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

Farbtoner posted:

On that note, The Saboteur was really unfairly overlooked by gamers and game journalists alike but it's so, so good. One of the best things about it is that there's just so much to do: your entire map is covered in hundreds of things to blow up, and blowing them up is not only fun and rewarding in its own right but it also makes actual missions easier since it means one less guard tower or tank to worry about. It's like popping bubblewrap, only the bubblewrap is Nazi hardware and you're popping it with dynamite.

Plus the black-and-white look was really good and the way the music in cars would play scratchy and lo-fi for a few seconds before segueing into modern CD-quality was so great :swoon:

This is absolutely true. It took me months to get anywhere in the story because I was constantly driving around and climbing buildings so I could blow poo poo up. It actually made the story hard to follow at first because I spent so much time between missions blowing up towers that I'd forgotten who some of the characters were.

I love GTAIV (although I never bothered with the expansions, which I might do after reading this thread), but I don't go back to it nearly as often as I do the Saboteur.

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

Farbtoner posted:

I think a big part of this is music licensing rights. Apparently it's more expensive to license music that people can play at any time versus music that plays in a playlist the player has no control over. It's the same reason Pandora only lets you skip a few songs.

GTA IV has a fairly useless feature where you can call a number to find out the name and artist of whatever's playing in the radio. This was also done to save on licensing costs.

To be fair, that feature was a really good idea that would have been really useful if the game's soundtrack had been more interesting.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

ChuckDHead posted:

To be fair, that feature was a really good idea that would have been really useful if the game's soundtrack had been more interesting.

Agreed, IV's soundtrack was a huge letdown.

Gaspar Lewis
Nov 30, 2007

by Lowtax
Wait, what? Are people seriously dissing IF99, Fusion, The Journey and Liberty Rock Radio?

Next you'll be telling me Master Sounds from GTA:SA wasn't the best station in the series.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

The rock and talk stations sucked, that's all I know.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
Are people just not hearing the Will Forte segment?

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Lazlo kicks rear end

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

ChuckDHead posted:

Me and my best friend have a in joke going with one of the songs where the lyrics are Living My Life Like Its Golden.

But yeah, a few songs from Vladistok FM and Lazlo pretty much the only things worth listening too.

Also goddamn, GTSA spoils you with clothes to make CJ look as Gangsta or silly as possible.

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

Farbtoner posted:

Saboteur was really drat great and the best open world fuckery game made so far. It's the biggest crime that nobody bought it.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

smuh posted:

Saboteur was really drat great and the best open world fuckery game made so far. It's the biggest crime that nobody bought it.

Pretty much. I own it for PC and soon when I see it for the 360.

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

the truth posted:

The rock and talk stations sucked, that's all I know.

Thing is, I don't even know if they sucked. Just that I can't remember almost anything from it. I played the whole game through, and the only thing I remember off-the-cuff is that there was a Queen song, but I can't even tell you which one. I can barely remember any tunes, or even any radio skits.

The last two games had really distinct musical identities, with particular stations and tunes really helping to determine the time period and place, even (perhaps especially) for people who've never been to the places and don't specifically remember that time period. Of course, maybe that's an issue with Liberty City/New York and the late 2000s as a whole, not so much GTA4 itself.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.
So I went back and played Gay Tony for a bit, a few more things I'd like in V:

-Make it easier to restart stuff, like if I fail a basejump I don't wanna have go all the way back to its starting point.

-I really hope they optimise the engine a bit, the framerate really seems to struggle in parts.

-I dont' want to have to mash A to get my character to run.

-Make the character control a bit more....fluid? It feels kinda clunky.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

ChuckDHead posted:

Thing is, I don't even know if they sucked. Just that I can't remember almost anything from it. I played the whole game through, and the only thing I remember off-the-cuff is that there was a Queen song, but I can't even tell you which one. I can barely remember any tunes, or even any radio skits.

The last two games had really distinct musical identities, with particular stations and tunes really helping to determine the time period and place, even (perhaps especially) for people who've never been to the places and don't specifically remember that time period. Of course, maybe that's an issue with Liberty City/New York and the late 2000s as a whole, not so much GTA4 itself.

GTA III had music that was attempting to sound like the music on the real world radio at the time. GTA IV has THE music that was on the radio at the time in the real world, though with most of the mega popular stuff taken out. GTA IV's radio is like listening to the radio in the NYC area in 2008, but without the very biggest hits, basically - it's just the normal radio really. Vice City and San Andreas got to pack together playlists of songs from all over the decade and put them in theme stations, but you can't really do that properly when you're doing Now.

If you actually turned on the radio in 1992 California (SA) or 1986 Miami (VC), you'd almost certainly not get many of the songs you heard in those games playing, but since those games are also parodies of certain time periods they show up.

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

Install Gentoo posted:

GTA III had music that was attempting to sound like the music on the real world radio at the time. GTA IV has THE music that was on the radio at the time in the real world, though with most of the mega popular stuff taken out. GTA IV's radio is like listening to the radio in the NYC area in 2008, but without the very biggest hits, basically - it's just the normal radio really. Vice City and San Andreas got to pack together playlists of songs from all over the decade and put them in theme stations, but you can't really do that properly when you're doing Now.

If you actually turned on the radio in 1992 California (SA) or 1986 Miami (VC), you'd almost certainly not get many of the songs you heard in those games playing, but since those games are also parodies of certain time periods they show up.

Yeah, that's why I said it perhaps worked especially well for people who weren't actually there or then. I just think that in this case, going for something that feels like it should be right works better than going with what is right. That said, I honestly have no idea what should really help make a 2007ish New York setting feel more believable, and we probably won't really know what the "definitive" soundscape of the present is until we're looking back at it. Who knows, maybe in 10 years, GTA4's soundtrack is going to seem like it perfectly exemplifies the place and time.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

ChuckDHead posted:

Yeah, that's why I said it perhaps worked especially well for people who weren't actually there or then. I just think that in this case, going for something that feels like it should be right works better than going with what is right. That said, I honestly have no idea what should really help make a 2007ish New York setting feel more believable, and we probably won't really know what the "definitive" soundscape of the present is until we're looking back at it. Who knows, maybe in 10 years, GTA4's soundtrack is going to seem like it perfectly exemplifies the place and time.

You mean like how 80's music is cool only because we're no longer in the 80's?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

ChuckDHead posted:

Yeah, that's why I said it perhaps worked especially well for people who weren't actually there or then. I just think that in this case, going for something that feels like it should be right works better than going with what is right. Honestly, I have no idea what should really help make a 2007ish New York setting feel more believable, and we probably won't really know what the "definitive" soundscape of the present is until we're looking back at it. Who knows, maybe in 10 years, GTA4's soundtrack is going to seem like it perfectly exemplifies the place and time.

No it's more of how, like, look: Vice City is set in 1986 right? But it freely makes use of stuff both earlier and later than 1986 for its feel, and most people would at least get the feeling of "1980s Miami" out of it. It's so much easier to nail a looser era like "the 80s" than it is to nail a specific time like "September through October 2008" ie the setting of GTA IV. And GTA IV isn't set up to be a parody of the 2000s as a whole either.

And when you think about it,would GTA IV really have been better off with Miley Cyrus, Jonas Brothers, Britney Spears and other mega-popular artists of 2008 on the radio?

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

Ak Gara posted:

You mean like how 80's music is cool only because we're no longer in the 80's?

Yes, pretty much.

Vice City didn't really provide a realistic 80s Miami, it provided the sort of 1980s Miami that those of us who've never been there and barely remember the 80s think it was like based on Scarface and Miami Vice. It works, though.

Install Gentoo posted:

No it's more of how, like, look: Vice City is set in 1986 right? But it freely makes use of stuff both earlier and later than 1986 for its feel, and most people would at least get the feeling of "1980s Miami" out of it. It's so much easier to nail a looser era like "the 80s" than it is to nail a specific time like "September through October 2008" ie the setting of GTA IV. And GTA IV isn't set up to be a parody of the 2000s as a whole either.

And when you think about it,would GTA IV really have been better off with Miley Cyrus, Jonas Brothers, Britney Spears and other mega-popular artists of 2008 on the radio?

Yeah, I didn't mean "exactly Sept-Oct 2008" so much as I meant "the late 2000s" (I just picked 2007 as a random year from that time, but should have been more/less specific). Either way, I'm not sure we've figured out what the definitive soundscape of this era is yet, or even the sort of iconic films or TV shows that define the era that Rockstar can steal from liberally and call a pastiche (which, to be fair, they have for the most part done pretty well).

ChuckDHead fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Nov 13, 2011

Droopy Goines
Aug 2, 2003

Presented in DTS ES 6.1 where available.
GTA IV had a fantastic soundtrack, the only problem was that there were so many songs that you didn't hear them enough times even if you played the game for 100 hours.

Just look at it, it's a enormous list filled with great artists:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_Theft_Auto_IV_soundtrack

I'm replaying GTA IV now just so I can listen to soundtrack more.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
I didn't like the soundtrack at first but it's slowly grown on me. There are a lot of stations that I almost never listen to because I just don't enjoy the genre (LCHC for example) but I appreciate the care that went into these stations nonetheless. They were going for a realistic feel, GTAIV just doesn't exist in the bizarro universe of GTASA where even the country station plays fantastic music.

Now imagine 70's GTA and the accompanying radio selection :allears:

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

To be fair, the only music track I remember from GTA IV is Philip Glass' Pruit Igoe, if only because it was used in the trailer. As for the talk radio, I remember Lazlo assaulting a sausage vendor because he's struggling with a life where he isn't as famous as he used to be. And IIRC he isn't as funny as he was either.

I really don't care about the music stations, as they very rarely have tracks I think are neat (Vice City was the odd man out, as nearly all the tracks kicked rear end). I mostly listen to the talk shows and while I remember long passages from GTA3, from the guy who ate pigeons, to Fernando the up-state pimp, to the guy who wants to organize a protest but doesn't know what he's protesting about, I remember fewer passages from GTA: VC, and again long passages from GTA: SA.

I remember one from GTAIV. I hope that V will give me more chat shows, with more funny and a bit bizarre callers and poo poo.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

ChuckDHead posted:

Yeah, I didn't mean "exactly Sept-Oct 2008" so much as I meant "the late 2000s" (I just picked 2007 as a random year from that time, but should have been more/less specific). Either way, I'm not sure we've figured out what the definitive soundscape of this era is yet, or even the sort of iconic films or TV shows that define the era that Rockstar can steal from liberally and call a pastiche (which, to be fair, they have for the most part done pretty well).

Basically, I think IV fails to pull off the "game feels like the late 2000s" thing, because Rockstar wasn't angling to do that. All that it has that's really relevant, is that there's an election year going (because its 2008) and cars look modern for 2008 and cell phones and smartphones exist. GTA I, III, and IV were all set "Now". As opposed tto VC/VCS/SA/LCS and London 61/69 which were the Specific Past and II which was the Future.

They end up dated of course. I and III both use pagers and payphone for communication primarily. Even if you re-rendered the cars from III in HD, they would still look outdated because they're 2001 car designs and car styles have changed since then. We'll see it in IV too, eventually, just simple things like how there's so many pedestrians using flip-phones. Heck arguably the fact that Niko goes to internet cafes at all was kind of outdated as soon as the game launches.

And FWIW I wasn't trying to rag on you for getting the year wrong or anything, it tends to get ignored in the game. But it is set in 2008 and it's early fall, that's why people are walking around in jackets and even gloves/hats sometimes.

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

Install Gentoo posted:

Basically, I think IV fails to pull off the "game feels like the late 2000s" thing, because Rockstar wasn't angling to do that.

I think you're right here, they probably aren't trying to do the old "pastiche some movies and TV shows in one particular era heavily and call it our own thing" with GTA4. The problem is that it's still what a lot of people (myself included) wanted because they do it so well.

NOBEARD
Oct 17, 2008

Hee hee hee
Hee hee hee
College Slice

i am not so sure posted:

Lazlo kicks rear end

Integrity 2.0 is not even close to the awesomeness of VCPR. :colbert:

Ingram
Oct 18, 2006

"Do you know how rare it is to find a girl who genuinely honest-to-god absolutely loves it up the arse?"
Just installed Vice City with the intentions of playing it on my TV with a 360 controller. Unfortunately the triggers and right analogue stick don't work in the game so there goes that idea.

Anyone got a simple solution to get it working or should I just connect my PS2 controller up and play it like that?

Abalone Malone
Jul 26, 2002

Fusion radio in gta 4 was great.
I thought all the radio stations in 4 were very good. But not as easy to get into as the other grand theft games.

Iggy Pop is a charming DJ.

Abalone Malone fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Nov 14, 2011

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Abalone Malone posted:

Fusion radio in gta 4 was great.
I thought all the radio station in 4 were very. But not as easy to get into as the other grand games.

Iggy Pop is a charming DJ.

"This town is startin to making me angry, angry and alone!"

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Ingram posted:

Just installed Vice City with the intentions of playing it on my TV with a 360 controller. Unfortunately the triggers and right analogue stick don't work in the game so there goes that idea.

Anyone got a simple solution to get it working or should I just connect my PS2 controller up and play it like that?
I use version 5.3 (the latest free version) of Xpadder with my 360 controller, works perfectly and is easy to set up.

edit: Might have to run it in XP SP3 compatibility mode if you're on 64-bit Windows 7.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Nov 14, 2011

Ingram
Oct 18, 2006

"Do you know how rare it is to find a girl who genuinely honest-to-god absolutely loves it up the arse?"

Doktor von Blaze posted:

I use version 5.3 (the latest free version) of Xpadder with my 360 controller, works perfectly and is easy to set up.

edit: Might have to run it in XP SP3 compatibility mode if you're on 64-bit Windows 7.

Toothy
Jan 30, 2006

There's treasure everywhere!
I think it'd be nifty to have radio stations unlock as the game progresses, so players aren't oversaturated from the get-go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Toothy posted:

I think it'd be nifty to have radio stations unlock as the game progresses, so players aren't oversaturated from the get-go.

Saints Row 2 had a fun thing where as you progressed, certain radio stations would get bought out by a local corporation, or replaced with a Jack FM-type station after you shot the DJ to death.

• Locked thread