Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

big fat retard
Nov 11, 2003
I AM AN IDIOT WITH A COMPULSIVE NEED TO TROLL EVERY THREAD I SEE!!!! PAY NO ATTENTION TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY!!!

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Yeah, a pretty smart change if you ask me. Plus, apparently you can recover Revenant rocket launchers and use them (a la Mancubus' Fire Cannon) now? It's only a matter of time before we can shove our hands into an Arachnotron's brain and use him like a Plasma turret.

I like the idea of a 2.5D FPS where every weapon that can be fired at you can also be fired at the enemy, and vice versa. Rise of the Triad sort of had this, come to think of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Yeah, a pretty smart change if you ask me. Plus, apparently you can recover Revenant rocket launchers and use them (a la Mancubus' Fire Cannon) now?

Specifically, you can extract the weapons from dead Revenants and Mancubi by taking a chainsaw to them.

Yep, Brutal Doom has chainsaw surgery now.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

The Kins posted:

Yeah, I don't want to cause any drama or anything, and it looks like a great mod, but this thread's just focusing on a certain time frame. Sorry.

I'm sort of tempted to let Deus Ex in since it uses a largely untouched UT99 engine, but it has enough activity for its own thread that pops up regularly enough.

It was worth a mention to get the word out, not worth it's own thread. I miss the mod megathread, though. Maybe I'll draft one up tonight.

While I'm here, I'm not hosting an event this weekend. If anyone would like to, let me know so I can admin you.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Dominic White posted:

Specifically, you can extract the weapons from dead Revenants and Mancubi by taking a chainsaw to them.

Yep, Brutal Doom has chainsaw surgery now.

I just launched doom 2 and tested it, loving brilliant so far v13 is my favourite release :allears:

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Here's a new mod called RUSSIAN OVERKILL. I do believe the name alone speaks volumes, but if not, here's a couple of videos explaining why it is named as such.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzaV82_e8Sw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mOEtbJyrjM

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

The Kins posted:

Here's a new mod called RUSSIAN OVERKILL. I do believe the name alone speaks volumes, but if not, here's a couple of videos explaining why it is named as such.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzaV82_e8Sw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mOEtbJyrjM

Gentlemen, I believe we have reached both Peak Russia and Peak Doom with this mod.

quote:

Since the Stalin hired a man called Kane, in depths of Vladivostok secret lab - the new laser weapon based on supreme nuclear technology of soviet russia was developed.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
Goddamn I love Brutal Doom; it made my old disc of Doom 2 feel fresh and new with all that arachnotron-mangling, flipping-off action. I'd love to get in on some coop action with any of you guys over Steam.

Anyone have some suggestions on level .wads that go well with it? I never really got into Doom mods prior to that Stronghold defense game of yesteryear, and I need more excuses to pull the arms off of those rear end in a top hat Revenants and bat their smug faces into the next level.

Flying Trident
Apr 24, 2008
I recently put a couple computers together with ancient technology, and plan to play some mid-to-late nineties games on them with a friend or two. I've got Blood and have been itching to co-op it finally, but in regards to the usual suspects (Doom, Duke3d), are there any other 2.5 fpshooters from that era that excel specifically in co-op? I've played the hell out of Duke3d and Doom (Brutal Doom however adds an awesome fresh coat of paint), so aside from Blood, I'm looking for some suggestions. I would kill a communist and eat fifty eggs for a Dark Forces or Jedi Knight co-op mod, but there don't appear to be any. I'm sure Lucasarts isn't in the habit of releasing source code.

Also, I have for you a specific and immersive tale to tell, regarding the Golden Age.

I had just recently bought Windows 95, with my own bucks, specifically to more-better play Duke Nukem 3D. Looking back, I'm not sure what benefit it actually would have added, upgrading from Windows 3.1. But I was a child and poo poo like that made sense.

Aside from the hours and hours I spent playing Duke3d with my friend over direct modem connect (holy poo poo), my strongest memory of that time is first playing the Quake shareware. Specifically because it was set to play, as music in-game, any cd that you had in your drive. The still-kind-of-new "multimedia" age blew my mind at the time, that you could be running this graphically AMAZING game, while also playing any CD you want. Finding the perfect album for Carmageddon 2 occupied hours of my time.

This coincided with my possession of the Surge CD. Surge was a soft drink that marketed itself as a more extreme Mountain Dew. If you were an early-teen in the late 90s, you probably guzzled this poo poo, especially if you were the type to attend LAN parties. But they also issued a mix-tape-style CD, of hip and up-and-coming bands, to further promote sales. Of soda-pop.

The first track is Jimmy Eat World, and it's a 90's Roman orgy from therein. If you have any nostalgia for this time period, it will rub your nostalgianub to eargasm. And I played this CD, while playing Quake (on a 486), first discovering what OpenGL was, blasting monsters in 680 x 400, playing true internet multiplayer for the first time on a sub56k modem, racing to the rocket launcher, the quad, and respawn points. This CD acts as a temporal projector, sending me to my distant past to relive, however briefly, a moment in time. Quake itself doesn't take me there as much as the CD does, because I continued to play Quake in various forms afterward- Team Fortress, on to Quake 2 and all the mods for that-- It retained brand recognition and solidification in my brain.

The Surge CD, however, I only listened to for that one moment in time, when things like the Surge CD existed and the internet was still a new frontier. I wonder sometimes, the importance of this age, in the epoch of human dominance. The internet has and will irreversibly change and enhance our species, as much as the evolution to agriculture or the industrial age has. We are lucky enough to have been alive and active, those of my generation, at this specific time in human history, equivalent to the first days of fire and the wheel. The difference between past game-changers and this is that from the point of just a few years in the 90's and then on forward for the rest of human existence, everything we do as a species will be near-irreversably recorded and catalogued as data on the internet, effectively becoming a real and physical collective unconscious that every being from now to eternity will have access to. We are gatekeepers, chums, of that specific knowledge of a time and place. Knowledge that will, in a matter of less than a century will be gone forever, except as passed down by US- Disseminated down until the origin of the experience is divine.

Imagine that we could, right now, read the equivalent of journals or internet message boards of people from 2,000 years ago. Then imagine 2,000 years from now, when we will be able to read journals and message board posts of people from 2,000 years ago, NOW. Would we not revere these ancient heroes for their first-hand accounts of the universe and the progression of man as it happened? Would they not become as important to us as Albert Einstein, the Wright Brothers, the invention of the firearm, the beginning of recording history itself.

Chums, that first time you networked two computers to play Doom, or the first time you played Wolfenstein 3D on floppy disk, or the first time you played a vidya game on the internet, these are immutable legendary events in the tale of human history. We, each of us, hold the responsibility to share our experience, now, for the rest of humanity, forever.

We sometimes take for granted the effects of our actions, the gravity of our mass, the insistence of our legacies. But there is no reason to consider that for thousands, millions of years, humanity will not persist and the internet and everything on it will not persist. We leave indelible footprints in the digital geography of man's journey to our eventual end.

So when you browse this thread, when you get the notion to reinstall a game you played as a teenager or child, when you get it in your head to re-live that specific time, know that you are not just an aging old woman or man. You are not a relic of a lost time, your experiences are not extinguished by the folds of human advancement. You are a living document of the genesis of a stage in Earthen intelligence's ascendency.

This responsibility comes easy, save what I ask of you-- What this forum demands of you. Share your experience here, share it in the future and share it to your grave. We have wrote the essence of humanity in our actions and will continue to do so.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Flying Trident posted:

:words:

You don't post very often, but it was worth the wait.

Encryptic
May 3, 2007

ChickenHeart posted:

Anyone have some suggestions on level .wads that go well with it? I never really got into Doom mods prior to that Stronghold defense game of yesteryear, and I need more excuses to pull the arms off of those rear end in a top hat Revenants and bat their smug faces into the next level.

Comedy option: Hell Revealed on Ultra-Violence.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Well, look what I found while cleaning!

An old demo disc from late 1996, with the original Quake demo! I think this is how I first got it... There's also a bunch of old Duke 3D levels on it, because loading mods off of FTPs onto CDs is how magazines and jerks made money in the internet's infancy.

It's old and scratched and covered in fingerprints and stuff, though, so surely it wouldn't still work? Right?

I remember a wonderful old YCS thread from back when YCS was good where they messed around with some CD WAD collection. I should upload this crap for you guys to play with.

Still not the oldest/coolest demo disc I have lying around, though! That honor goes to this:

WELCOME TO THE WINDOWS 95 GAME PLATFORM

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

The Kins posted:

old demo disc from late 1996

drat this was the same disc I got the shareware from too. I remember seeing the magazine in WHSmith and staring at it for about 5 minutes as I slowly comprehended that this game was actually real and there was a playable version right in front of me. Good times!

Also, please upload this disc, I think I lost my old magazine CDs in a clearout years ago :(

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Convex posted:

drat this was the same disc I got the shareware from too. I remember seeing the magazine in WHSmith and staring at it for about 5 minutes as I slowly comprehended that this game was actually real and there was a playable version right in front of me. Good times!

Also, please upload this disc, I think I lost my old magazine CDs in a clearout years ago :(
I tried to rip it to an image, but ImgBurn just kind of sat confused for ten minutes before I put it out of its misery. I blame the Witchaven 2 demo. Who the gently caress puts CD audio in a game demo at the dawn of the Web?

(EDIT: It was actually the Virtua Fighter PC demo. SEGA :argh:)

I'll give it another shot, though.

The Kins fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Nov 13, 2011

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
DOS IS DEAD

That's really awesome.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Yodzilla posted:

DOS IS DEAD

That's really awesome.

I'm tempted, but I've grown attached to the Sector Effector avatar... choices choices.

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy
Man, 256 color Dithering makes me so nostalgic. :allears:

Thanks for sharing that stuff, makes me wanna go looking through my old CD boxes for old game demo disks.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

The Kins posted:

Still not the oldest/coolest demo disc I have lying around, though! That honor goes to this:

What is this?

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Mak0rz posted:

What is this?

The best thing Microsoft ever did to showcase a product.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Mak0rz posted:

What is this?
An old demo disc by Microsoft and Monolith called "Odyssey - Games For Windows 95". It had a bunch of game demos like Doom, Dogz and Beavis and Butthead, some info sheets on other games like Earthworm Jim, and some weird tech demos by Monolith. The menu was a 3D Doom-style engine where you wandered around a space station. It had some weird secrets in it!

bleedbackwards
Jan 13, 2008
weapon finesse: my dong

Flying Trident posted:

If you were an early-teen in the late 90s, you probably guzzled this poo poo, especially if you were the type to attend LAN parties. But they also issued a mix-tape-style CD, of hip and up-and-coming bands, to further promote sales. Of soda-pop.

I drank so much Surge when I was 12 or so. I missed the hell out of it, then they came out with Vault, which was pretty similar. But I think they stopped making that too. :(

Vaos
Dec 30, 2008

Unleash the fiery Armageddon.
I recorded a little showcase of Russian Overkill so people can see what it's about.

Russian Overkill Showcase

And here's a quick one of me loving around in Deus Vult:

Russian Overkill vs Deus Vult

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

The Kins posted:

I haven't seen this in ages. I need to find this.

Does it even run on Windows 7? Or will I have to use something to get it running (such as DOSBOX ironically)?

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Luigi Thirty posted:

Gentlemen, I believe we have reached both Peak Russia and Peak Doom with this mod.

I just tried this out. The BFG has a "Quantum Jump" mode.

It is now officially The Best Thing.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
Very important Russian overkill protip: do not test weapons by firing them. Yamatho gun seems like an anti city block weapon.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Soviet ingenuity

Encryptic
May 3, 2007

tooooooo bad posted:

Soviet ingenuity

That's a crowd-pleaser all right. I love the ridiculous amount of spent shells bouncing everywhere afterwards. :laffo:

Cheesegod
Aug 15, 2001

Offensive Clock

tooooooo bad posted:

Soviet ingenuity

What the hell is this from and where can I download it?

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Does Russian Overkill not work with Skulltag? I keep getting texture errors when it tries to launch.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Cheesegod posted:

What the hell is this from and where can I download it?

The best mod ever, which was linked earlier on this very page:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3420790&pagenumber=62#post397558988

Vaos
Dec 30, 2008

Unleash the fiery Armageddon.

Vakal posted:

Does Russian Overkill not work with Skulltag? I keep getting texture errors when it tries to launch.

Skulltag use a gzdoom version which is from 10 years ago, which doesn't have all the features current (g)zdoom has, so it can't run all mods. There's an alpha version of Skulltag running with a more recent version, but I didn't try it.

diamond dog
Jul 27, 2010

by merry exmarx

Encryptic posted:

That's a crowd-pleaser all right. I love the ridiculous amount of spent shells bouncing everywhere afterwards. :laffo:

From the gif it looks like the shotgun does normal damage--it's the shellmageddon that actually kills everything.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

If only there was a way to combine Russian Overkill with Brutal Doom.

Pheener
Jun 7, 2003

Extraordinary!
So, I've been loving the Blood launcher for years, but Tecman, how do I turn down the goddamn music? Seriously, it's so loud it blots out everything else, and since the music is being played outside of the game (but inside dosbox) I can't figure out what command/setting turns it specifically down. It's driving me nuts.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

The Radix posted:

From the gif it looks like the shotgun does normal damage--it's the shellmageddon that actually kills everything.

If it's any consolation the primary fire will down a normal spider mastermind in four shots. :black101:

Cheesegod
Aug 15, 2001

Offensive Clock

KozmoNaut posted:

The best mod ever, which was linked earlier on this very page:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3420790&pagenumber=62#post397558988

My bad, I saw the videos and the screencaps looked more like quake than doom so I didn't click on em. Looks fantastic.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

The Radix posted:

The first shot you see there is actually the zombie on the right shooting the one on the left.

Thompsons
Aug 28, 2008

Ask me about onklunk extraction.
At first I thought the automatic shotgun's alt-fire just reloaded itself up to 20 shots, like it would fire faster if loaded that way.

Then I found out that the alt-fire let you load up to 20 shots to fire all at once :wtc:

Edit: I'm curious as to whether or not damage upgrade pickups stack, I've picked up like two of each over the course of 12 levels.

Prenton
Feb 17, 2011

Ner nerr-nerrr ner

Pheener posted:

So, I've been loving the Blood launcher for years, but Tecman, how do I turn down the goddamn music? Seriously, it's so loud it blots out everything else, and since the music is being played outside of the game (but inside dosbox) I can't figure out what command/setting turns it specifically down. It's driving me nuts.

Try the special Dosbox build from here

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

The Kins posted:

Oh god, I need this so bad. My earliest memory of gaming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Vaos posted:

Skulltag use a gzdoom version which is from 10 years ago, which doesn't have all the features current (g)zdoom has, so it can't run all mods. There's an alpha version of Skulltag running with a more recent version, but I didn't try it.

zdoom was getting errors as well, but gzdoom runs it fine. Thanks.

In case anyone is wondering if the mod is worth playing, it raises the health and armor maximum to 999% each. You soon realize that the monster's damage has not change at all, so the high levels are only there the help you survive the splash damage of your own weapons.

You also soon realize that that is not nearly enough health or armor to do so.