Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010

vrunt posted:

The instructions used to be available on BuildTogether.com, but it looks like they've been removed.
There's a PDF mirrored here: http://blockdot.mgnetwork.com/lego/buildtogether/downloads/rv.pdf
The first few pages have an inventory with part numbers.

Yep, that's the one. Might as well try one of the sites in the OP to find indvidual bricks so that I can build it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Graveyardstick
Nov 18, 2007

Are you too depressed to finish biting through that piece of toast?

Gravy Jones posted:

I'm digging the Dino minifigures. Lots of detail on the faces.

Probably wait a while until I get them. I'm hoping for some Pharoah's Quest stuff to get heavily discounted (the way Atlantis is now... in the UK at least) soon and saving my Lego cash for that. I'll have to get this set though because the dude with the camera is the closest I've ever seen to a Lego version of me.

Awww look at that little syringe! That alone makes me want to grab a mad scientist set and a few other things and make a scene from Re-Animator!

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*
Heads up to any British lego fans- Amazon have got a load of Star Wars sets at 33% off. Just picked Slave 1 up at £27 off and I am fighting very very hard with myself not to buy this....

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004OT8HJO/ref=nosim/?tag=hotukdeals-21

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

I found this quite interesting. It's a guide to build this:

Sure, it's very basic for a lot of you, but for many/some it'll be quite interesting or at least a good start to building the really awesome stuff.

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

What planet is this again?-- OH SHIT

Taeke posted:

Sure, it's very basic for a lot of you, but for many/some it'll be quite interesting or at least a good start to building the really awesome stuff.

That's really cool, thanks for posting that. I love seeing how such detailed layouts are made.

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

Attention Australian Lego Goons: 20% off at target until Wednesday the 16th. No money so I won't be getting anything :(

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

My local Target's selection has been really poor lately anyway, and the new sets arent out here. Not that I'm in any position to spend, having started an aquarium up. :v:

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

SynthOrange posted:

My local Target's selection has been really poor lately anyway, and the new sets arent out here. Not that I'm in any position to spend, having started an aquarium up. :v:

Doesn't that just mean you need to buy a lot of Atlantis sets to decorate?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Dont think I havent considered it!

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010
So I tried searching the sites in the OP for the bricks that I need, but nothing is coming up. Am I doing something wrong or am I better off going to a lego store and using the pick a brick wall.

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

screenwritersblues posted:

So I tried searching the sites in the OP for the bricks that I need, but nothing is coming up. Am I doing something wrong or am I better off going to a lego store and using the pick a brick wall.

Let me see if I can help you a little:

Go to bricklink.com and select 'catalog items' from the drop down menu next to the search field. Then put in the part number for the piece you want to find , for example 4211129. Hitting enter will bring you to this page: http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=2460&ccName=4211129

From there, you can see a list of all the colors that part is available in on the left side. Clicking on the color link will show you what stores are selling that part in that color. This is a good way to find one piece. However, if you want to find as many pieces in one store as possible, then you'll want to make a 'wanted list'. So make an account if you haven't already, and then on the catalog page for a part you want you'll see a link that says 'add to my wanted list' next to the available colors.

Then you can set the parameters for what you want out of this part, what color you want, which 'wanted list' it goes onto, if you only want new or used, etc. Once you've added all the pieces to your wanted list, you can go to 'My Wanted List' and 'show all' to see what stores have the parts you want. When you visit a store, there will be a link on the left under the cart buttons that will show you everything the store has that is on your wanted list. If you go to 'wanted' and then 'My wanted list by shop', it'll show in order what shops have the most parts you want.

This way you can minimize how many stores you purchase from and pick the stores with the lowest prices. Hopefully that clears things up somewhat :)

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

I just got the Millenium Falcon set during the Toys r Us sale.

This is the first really big set I've ever gotten and...my god this is a lot of bags.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

A few weeks ago, a friend gave me a small Lego set, so I invited her and one of my goon friends over to play with some Lego. I dumped out 2 sets worth of parts, and some models that I pick over for parts, and we started building.

I didn't realize how few conventional Lego parts I have... they were expecting full height blocks that they could make houses out of! Pretty much all of my non-technic parts are from Star Wars sets, so are mostly plates and such. However, goon friend did manage to make this little car:

I had a big package of those new Technic treads, and a package of sprockets. I've been wanting to build a really big tank with the new treads for a while, so I started fooling around with different designs. I want to motorize it, and I want to push the treads to limit of what they can take. I started with the tread design on the Mar Mission Cyrstal Reaper, and made it a little bigger:

Next, I made one MUCH bigger... one of the limitiations of the tread is that it can't take a high tension load, so how tight/loose the treads fit is important! This design was right in bewteen: it was loose, but dropping one link was way too tight! So, I made an overly-complicated 4-bar tensioner for the chain.

Finally, proof of concept that it moves. 1/16 gear ratio from the worm gear drive.

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

Squashy Nipples posted:

It's good to see those army men keeping things in line. Also what the gently caress am I doing with this ugly color.

InfinEight fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Nov 13, 2011

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Blue moon of Kentucky keep on shinin'...
Getting hooked on the Minifig series gave me a stupid, cost prohibitive idea I'm sure has been covered. How hard would it be to get one of every minifigure? Ever. Maybe starting slow with the collectible series, and working backwards a set at a time. Not counting color variations.

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

But Tarzan... The strangest thing has happened! I'm as bare... as the day I was born!

InfinEight posted:

It's good to see those army men keeping things in line. Also what the gently caress am I doing with this ugly color.

What color is that? Looks like it could be useful for desert planetscapes and whatnot.

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

Fooley posted:

Getting hooked on the Minifig series gave me a stupid, cost prohibitive idea I'm sure has been covered. How hard would it be to get one of every minifigure? Ever. Maybe starting slow with the collectible series, and working backwards a set at a time. Not counting color variations.

Well, bricklink.com shows 5,404 different minifigs, but that includes duplo, bellville and those silly mini bionicle figs and I'm guessing you don't care about those. Even if you subtract those though, you're still looking at thousands of 'unique' minifigs since a lot of different themes just have pallet swapped parts but reused heads.

I think you'd have an easier time if you were to narrow it down to 'unique minifigs by head style' so you don't have needless duplicates. If you search for minifig heads alone, bricklink shows about 800 different styles, which would be a LOT more manageable than a few thousand.

Time Cowboy posted:

What color is that? Looks like it could be useful for desert planetscapes and whatnot.

It's sand red, and it's pretty rare and didn't come in a huge selection of parts. You're looking at about $130 worth and I might not even be done yet. :suicide:

InfinEight fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Nov 13, 2011

Flavor Bear
Jan 13, 2008

Bear Love is Best Love

InfinEight posted:

Please tell me you're gonna build some kind of giant space junker or something.

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

InfinEight posted:

I think you'd have an easier time if you were to narrow it down to 'unique minifigs by head style' so you don't have needless duplicates. If you search for minifig heads alone, bricklink shows about 800 different styles, which would be a LOT more manageable than a few thousand.

That's pretty much what I was thinking. If/when I sit down and plan this I'm probably going to start with the Collectible Series, then one or two to represent each theme, then look into variations but keep to unique heads like you said.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

InfinEight posted:

I wish "ugly" colors were more common :3: I already have 1,000,000 yellow bricks thank you.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

InfinEight posted:

Also what the gently caress am I doing with this ugly color.

Those are very accurate chocolate reproductions.

Bophf
Sep 10, 2006

well I oh
Black Friday ads are starting to leak, and while I'm not sure if they're 100% accurate or not, Target's seems to match up well with what they usually do with Lego (charge $65 for a $100 set) and this year they seem to be offering Scorpion Pyramid from the Pharaoh's Quest line and Portal of Atlantis from the Atlantis line. Definitely going to be picking up the pyramid since I always thought it looked cool, but not $100 cool. Just have to be prepared to outrun all of the cool parents who are getting the sets for their kids. :argh:

My Walmart is pretty much disgusting but apparently they're doing a 1,600 piece bucket of Lego for $30 so it might be worth checking it out if yours is better.

Links for the curious: http://www.theblackfriday.com/ads/target/target-black-friday-ad11.shtml
http://www.theblackfriday.com/ads/walbf/walmart-black-friday-ad13.shtml

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Fred Meyer has the City Advent calendar on sale for $29.99 and an additional 10% off coupon in the paper today. The coupon is only good until Thursday, I am not sure if they are having another Friday-Saturday special ad this week or not.

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Charming, friendly, and possessed by demons.
Approach with caution.

Taeke posted:

You're not getting nearly enough love for this. Thank you for posting it.

Dr. Platypus
Oct 25, 2007

Fooley posted:

That's pretty much what I was thinking. If/when I sit down and plan this I'm probably going to start with the Collectible Series, then one or two to represent each theme, then look into variations but keep to unique heads like you said.

Heck, it'd be fun just to see a giant wall of every unique head they've made, without bodies.

AzMiLion
Dec 29, 2010

Truck you say?

Taeke posted:

This is bloody amazing, I wish i still had easy access to my old LEGO so ii could at least build a rainbow colored version of this(no way i have enough green, don't think i even have brown bricks)

In other news, i made some more ships to go with my slowly growing space fleet!
A Space Police command vessel and a little fueltanker.

EDIT:
I think I might be addicted to making small scale fighters/corvettes. not sure if this is a bad thing.

AzMiLion fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Nov 14, 2011

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

Fooley posted:

Let's put it this way-- the Batman line alone will cost you around $300 - $400. Still interested?

Lord Ryan
Nov 10, 2011
Random crap I made. Not all with Lego. If there is a thread for this stuff point me in the right direction, I've done tons of this stuff.

Nerf it cause I can't fly it!

Lord Ryan fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Nov 14, 2011

western eyes
Nov 5, 2011
I can't even begin to compare with most of the creations in this thread :allears: but here are a couple I made a while ago:

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

western eyes posted:

I can't even begin to compare with most of the creations in this thread :allears: but here are a couple I made a while ago:

That fighter jet thing is super cool

Kabong
Jan 1, 2001

Kickin' Afrolistics
Heads up, Amazon is doing LEGO pre-black Friday lightning deals all day today:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/b/ref=pe_182460_21737710_pe_b4_t/?node=360960011

First two deals this morning were kind of 'meh', but I just scored Palpatine's $60 shuttle for $30. Looks like some farm set and Atlantis sets coming up.

CADPAT
Jul 23, 2004

For the men
to my left and right!
:hist101:
Gah I waited for the countdown and got massively disappointed with Duplo :/

Rustie
Aug 25, 2003

CADPAT posted:

Gah I waited for the countdown and got massively disappointed with Duplo :/

Yeah, pretty lame.

If you pop the little teaser descriptions into google it's pretty easy to tell which sets they are. Looks like what's left are:

- Atlantis Deep Sea Raider
-A Ninjago set, maybe Garmadon's Dark Fortress
-City Airport
-Ramses Pyramid game

Lord Ryan
Nov 10, 2011
Call me a dork but I spent several hours today going through +140 pages of this thread. Some really cool stuff here, probably the coolest thread I've seen on any forums. Makes me want to go on a Lego shopping spree. Also make me wish they had things like digital cameras when I was a kid. I was many people referred to a program called LDD in several older post. I was wondering if people still use it, or if there is an updated version? I want to play!

Schindler's Fist
Jul 22, 2004
Weasels! Get 'em off me! Aaaa!

Lord Ryan posted:

Call me a dork but I spent several hours today going through +140 pages of this thread. Some really cool stuff here, probably the coolest thread I've seen on any forums. Makes me want to go on a Lego shopping spree. Also make me wish they had things like digital cameras when I was a kid. I was many people referred to a program called LDD in several older post. I was wondering if people still use it, or if there is an updated version? I want to play!

How nerdy are we for posting that much?? :v: Just google 'Lego Digital Designer', it should be the first result. LEGO updates it regularly for Mac and Windows.

Is that.. is he...

OMG!

Yes, this astronaut built a LEGO model of the International Space Station - while inside said station... IN SPAAACE. I wonder if they took a photo of the model in front of a window...

downfall
Jun 23, 2005

Hey guys, I've been super busy with work - someone quit, so I've basically been working double shifts and then sleeping when I have a chance, but I wanted to let those of you who got Spartan minifigs from me that I dropped them off at the post office today - and you should all be getting them in the near future. The overseas guys will probably take a little longer, but let me know if you have any trouble when you get them. Thanks.

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Why cookie Rocket posted:

Let's put it this way-- the Batman line alone will cost you around $300 - $400. Still interested?

I could've sworn I said this, but yeah. Licensed sets will be way, WAY later.

AzMiLion
Dec 29, 2010

Truck you say?

Lord Ryan posted:

Yes, we still use it.
I build all my stuff in LDD due to no longer having access to my bricks :/
have some useful links!

LDD&LDD Extended mode
Extended mode gives you access to more bricks and coloring options so you can make your pretty rainbow castles and post em in the thread!

Kabong
Jan 1, 2001

Kickin' Afrolistics

AzMiLion posted:

Yes, we still use it.
I build all my stuff in LDD due to no longer having access to my bricks :/
have some useful links!

LDD&LDD Extended mode
Extended mode gives you access to more bricks and coloring options so you can make your pretty rainbow castles and post em in the thread!

Whoa, I didn't know at all about LDD extended mode. Just what I needed, something to make me spend more time fooling around in LDD. I actually made MacLane's Mr. T CubeDude this weekend in LDD, figuring I'd order it before they shut down the service. A day later I got an email from them saying the design was rejected because it violated a trademark.

Bummed, I started poking around and found the wanted bricks program, which automatically spits out a list of the bricks needed in Bricklink XML format from your LDD design. Figuring out how to get all the bricks I needed through Bricklink was a bit of a learning process, but I got it worked out and now have Mr. T coming for less than it was going to cost through design by me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

Fooley posted:

I could've sworn I said this, but yeah. Licensed sets will be way, WAY later.

When they've gone even further up in value? I hope you're planning on becoming a neonatal surgeon or something.