Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Not sure if this is the right thread but have any rumors surfaced about the next round of consoles from MS and Sony? A buddy of mine who works in the industry says that a very small number of studios are already gearing up for them even if just on paper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
The rumors have been that:
1) The next Xbox is in 2013
2) Supposedly both the next Xbox and next Playstation will have AMD graphics
3) Supposedly the next Xbox and Playstation will run on x86-64 and might keep reduced cost/size chipsets from the current gen in them to maintain backwards compatibility

But as I said, just rumors.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Install Gentoo posted:

3) Supposedly the next Xbox and Playstation will run on x86-64

This would be interesting if true since it would almost guarantee that the PC build of the major titles also be 64bit or dual 32/64 if they care to spend the extra coding effort. Perhaps the first wave(s) might be 32bit due to developers not having the time to migrate their old engines over if 32bit compatibility is available.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Do dual GPU cards have PCIe bandwidth issues compared to 2 single GPU cards having to share a single PCIe slot?

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.

Shaocaholica posted:

Do dual GPU cards have PCIe bandwidth issues compared to 2 single GPU cards having to share a single PCIe slot?

Short answer: Yes if the slot is PCIe x8 2.0 or below, not really if it's PCIe x16 2.0 or faster. But you're never buying a dual-GPU card if you can help it, especially not one that wouldn't be in a PCIe 2.0 x16 slot, so don't worry.

Long answer: If you're just using one of them, and your motherboard supports PCIe 2.0 or higher, and you have the card in a 16-lane slot, there are no significant problems with PCIe bandwidth. Little, piddly, fractions of a percentage point problems, who cares?

For a single card, PCIe 2.0 x8 is plenty of bus bandwidth. Below that, the lack of bandwidth really starts to hurt the card. But a dual-GPU card splitting that bandwidth only gets x4 worth of bandwidth per GPU, and that hurts. That hurts to the point where your uber-expensive high-end card begins to perform like two significantly cheaper lower-end cards in regular SLI/CF. Many times, this is exacerbated by the higher resolutions (2560x1440 and above) that you would consider a dual-GPU card for, though this can also be mitigated by if the GPUs aren't fast enough pushing pixels to max out the bandwidth in the first place.

Dual-GPU cards are also dumbsilly for the following reasons:
1) The official dual-GPU top-enders like the GTX 590 and Radeon 6990 are marked up combinations of marked-up top-binned parts, which throws their position on the price/performance curve into the toilet unless you just GOTTA have the most power possible in your one and only PCIe slot. This is less the case for unofficial dual-GPU cards, like the EVGA 560 Ti 2Win

2) They draw an incredible amount of power and put out an incredible amount of heat in a very small space, leading them to be both hotter and louder than two physical cards.

3) They're really long and difficult to fit in a case.

4) Related to the power/heat issue, they often have to be downclocked from two of the cards they're supposed to be.

5) The VRMs necessary to put out enough power for two GPUs on one card are often stressed near the breaking point already, making such cards terrible overclockers (not to mention the heat). Since overclocking is easy enough these days to practically be free performance, this is a major hit in a dual-GPU card's value.

StickFigs
Sep 5, 2004

"It's time to choose."
I just ran CrystalDiskInfo on my external HDD.

Is this bad? :ohdear::

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Yes. I wouldn't put anything valuable on there.

I have five on my 1tb media drive but since I can't afford another disk right now and it's mostly stuff I can just recover by re-encoding DVDs I've chosen to live with it.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

StickFigs posted:

I just ran CrystalDiskInfo on my external HDD.

Is this bad? :ohdear::
Basically any time CDI says "Caution" that means the drive is dying, unless it's something simple like high temperature. On the plus side, that drive might be new enough to get replaced under warranty.

StickFigs
Sep 5, 2004

"It's time to choose."

Martytoof posted:

Yes. I wouldn't put anything valuable on there.

I have five on my 1tb media drive but since I can't afford another disk right now and it's mostly stuff I can just recover by re-encoding DVDs I've chosen to live with it.

Would it be safe to use the drive to clone my dying internal drive? The disc image would only be on there long enough to clone it but I'm not sure if it could get corrupted in that short time.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what

StickFigs posted:

Would it be safe to use the drive to clone my dying internal drive? The disc image would only be on there long enough to clone it but I'm not sure if it could get corrupted in that short time.

No. Those uncorrectable sectors indicate that you *are* getting data loss.

StickFigs
Sep 5, 2004

"It's time to choose."

Factory Factory posted:

No. Those uncorrectable sectors indicate that you *are* getting data loss.

Wait so do you mean by putting something on there I'm instantly losing data? Or will I only lose data if another sector is corrupted that my data is on?

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what

StickFigs posted:

Wait so do you mean by putting something on there I'm instantly losing data? Or will I only lose data if another sector is corrupted that my data is on?

The latter, but sector failures are unpredictable. You can't assume you'll get lucky.

canadianclassic
Nov 3, 2004

I'm attempting to install a motherboard right now. I've got the I/O all lined up, and two of the hex headed install screws fit into the standoffs just fine, but the other two only thread in about half way then stop. This happens on all the standoffs I've tried with them.

I have some other screws with a slightly smaller head that will thread in. They touch the metallized holes but dont fully cover the metal contacts... anyone know if its OK to use these screws instead, or if theres a reason the normal hex-head screws wont fit? Thanks

lazydog
Apr 15, 2003

canadianclassic posted:

I'm attempting to install a motherboard right now. I've got the I/O all lined up, and two of the hex headed install screws fit into the standoffs just fine, but the other two only thread in about half way then stop. This happens on all the standoffs I've tried with them.

I have some other screws with a slightly smaller head that will thread in. They touch the metallized holes but dont fully cover the metal contacts... anyone know if its OK to use these screws instead, or if theres a reason the normal hex-head screws wont fit? Thanks

In computers, you'll find screws with 2 different kinds of threads. Coarse threaded screws like the ones used to mount a 3.5" hard drive, and fine threaded screws like the ones used to mount a CD/DVD drive.

The size of the screw's head isn't particularly important and whatever you have should work fine.

There is no standard on which of the two thread sizes the motherboard standoff will use. They vary from one case to another.

canadianclassic
Nov 3, 2004

Thanks. I've got the system running and windows installed. First time building... it feels really good when you hit the power switch and it works.

My newest question is about PCI vs USB for a wireless adapter. For some reason I assumed that most modern motherboards would have built in wireless like my laptop. Apparently I assumed wrong.

I would quickly get a PCI adapter, but my dumb rear end bought a P8H67 motherboard, which is pretty drat small. My GPU covers one of the two PCI slots, and is very tight to the other one. So if I want a PCI network card, I'm going to be very close to my GPU fans which is obviously not ideal.

So please tell me, is a USB wireless adapter decent? Is it reasonable to have another PCI card so close to my GPU cooling fans? Which is the lesser of two evils?

What would you guys do in my situation? (and I'm not buying a new motherboard)

edit: pic of my PCI slot for reference

edit 2: not breaking tables: http://i39.tinypic.com/qrl0et.jpg

canadianclassic fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Nov 13, 2011

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
USB wireless adapters are not only fine, they're often preferable. The inside of a computer case is a storm of interference, and rear plugs like analog speaker wires are worse. USB adapters make it a lot easier to move the antenna away from that stuff, resulting in a better signal.

E: plus you could always get a PCIe adapter and put it in the bottom slot. Wouldn't get too much interference down there, either.

canadianclassic
Nov 3, 2004

Good to hear. Thanks for the advice :)

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Factory Factory posted:

USB wireless adapters are not only fine, they're often preferable. The inside of a computer case is a storm of interference, and rear plugs like analog speaker wires are worse. USB adapters make it a lot easier to move the antenna away from that stuff, resulting in a better signal.

E: plus you could always get a PCIe adapter and put it in the bottom slot. Wouldn't get too much interference down there, either.

Honestly the best is a USB adapter that also has the ability to screw on an external antenna. This allows the most leeway for positioning the antenna for a stable signal.

Smudgie Buggler
Feb 27, 2005

SET PHASERS TO "GRINDING TEDIUM"
AI Suite is giving me occasional 'warnings' about +12v and +5v (whatever they are, I guess sort of routes of power on the mobo) being at 0.000v. Whenever I go to check those voltages, they're fine, at 5 and 12 volts give or take 1% respectively. I guess they're temporarily just losing all power and regaining it before I can check, but I've been assuming AI Suite is full of poo poo, because if what it was saying was true, certain parts of the mobo would have no power, right? So it couldn't be running to give me those warning if they were actually true.

Asus P8Z68-V Pro mobo
Corsair HX850 PSU

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva

Cwapface posted:

AI Suite is giving me occasional 'warnings' about +12v and +5v (whatever they are, I guess sort of routes of power on the mobo) being at 0.000v. Whenever I go to check those voltages, they're fine, at 5 and 12 volts give or take 1% respectively. I guess they're temporarily just losing all power and regaining it before I can check, but I've been assuming AI Suite is full of poo poo, because if what it was saying was true, certain p
arts of the mobo would have no power, right? So it couldn't be running to give me those warning if they were actually true.

Asus P8Z68-V Pro mobo
Corsair HX850 PSU
It's bullshit. Your pc wouldn't boot without either being powered. Download hwinfo64 and watch the voltage sensors sections.

Stump Truck
Nov 26, 2007
Why? Yes

Cwapface posted:

AI Suite is giving me occasional 'warnings' about +12v and +5v (whatever they are, I guess sort of routes of power on the mobo) being at 0.000v. Whenever I go to check those voltages, they're fine, at 5 and 12 volts give or take 1% respectively. I guess they're temporarily just losing all power and regaining it before I can check, but I've been assuming AI Suite is full of poo poo, because if what it was saying was true, certain parts of the mobo would have no power, right? So it couldn't be running to give me those warning if they were actually true.

Asus P8Z68-V Pro mobo
Corsair HX850 PSU

Sometimes after playing BF3 my AISuite will show my CPU temp jumping between 28C and in the 40s, so I think it's either full of poo poo or the sensor is buggy, because CPUID HWMonitor was also showing jumps but at different temps. When I restart the computer everything's back to normal, and sometimes it even stops on its own.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Factory Factory posted:

Short answer: Yes if the slot is PCIe x8 2.0 or below, not really if it's PCIe x16 2.0 or faster. But you're never buying a dual-GPU card if you can help it, especially not one that wouldn't be in a PCIe 2.0 x16 slot, so don't worry.

Long answer: If you're just using one of them, and your motherboard supports PCIe 2.0 or higher, and you have the card in a 16-lane slot, there are no significant problems with PCIe bandwidth. Little, piddly, fractions of a percentage point problems, who cares?

For a single card, PCIe 2.0 x8 is plenty of bus bandwidth. Below that, the lack of bandwidth really starts to hurt the card. But a dual-GPU card splitting that bandwidth only gets x4 worth of bandwidth per GPU, and that hurts. That hurts to the point where your uber-expensive high-end card begins to perform like two significantly cheaper lower-end cards in regular SLI/CF. Many times, this is exacerbated by the higher resolutions (2560x1440 and above) that you would consider a dual-GPU card for, though this can also be mitigated by if the GPUs aren't fast enough pushing pixels to max out the bandwidth in the first place.

Dual-GPU cards are also dumbsilly for the following reasons:
1) The official dual-GPU top-enders like the GTX 590 and Radeon 6990 are marked up combinations of marked-up top-binned parts, which throws their position on the price/performance curve into the toilet unless you just GOTTA have the most power possible in your one and only PCIe slot. This is less the case for unofficial dual-GPU cards, like the EVGA 560 Ti 2Win

2) They draw an incredible amount of power and put out an incredible amount of heat in a very small space, leading them to be both hotter and louder than two physical cards.

3) They're really long and difficult to fit in a case.

4) Related to the power/heat issue, they often have to be downclocked from two of the cards they're supposed to be.

5) The VRMs necessary to put out enough power for two GPUs on one card are often stressed near the breaking point already, making such cards terrible overclockers (not to mention the heat). Since overclocking is easy enough these days to practically be free performance, this is a major hit in a dual-GPU card's value.

Thanks for that. So does that mean we won't really need cards to be on x16 slots for PCIe 3.0?

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Shaocaholica posted:

Thanks for that. So does that mean we won't really need cards to be on x16 slots for PCIe 3.0?

Nope, but they still will be so it can run at PCIe 2.0 speeds on older motherboards at the x16 link-width. x16 PCIe 3.0 is such a retarded high amount of bandwidth, that would be for massive PCIe switches in some telecom backplanes or something.

Smudgie Buggler
Feb 27, 2005

SET PHASERS TO "GRINDING TEDIUM"

grumperfish posted:

It's bullshit. Your pc wouldn't boot without either being powered. Download hwinfo64 and watch the voltage sensors sections.
Yeah, that's what I figured. Even if it was just for a split second, if those things were losing power, I imagine the whole thing would stop working pretty drat quick. Thanks.

canadianclassic posted:

I've got the system running and windows installed. First time building... it feels really good when you hit the power switch and it works.
It sure does. But it's nowhere near as good a feeling as it is a bad feeling when you press the switch and it doesn't work. Or, even worse, when it works for a few seconds, but then there's a flash, a pop and a tiny bit of smoke. I hope you never find out what that's like.

Smudgie Buggler fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Nov 14, 2011

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Does intel plan to phase out dual core CPUs? If so, when? AMD?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Shaocaholica posted:

Not sure if they will any time soon, don't forget about the Celeron and Pentium markets.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

I'm fairly competent with computer jargon enough to replace hard drives, RAM, boards and various other stuff. I know enough about hardware to successfully make a computer work without it exploding on me, but I am no means a computer genius, and a lot of stuff still makes me go "huh? :pwn:". It all boils down to basic common sense.

With that said, here's the very short story: my old computer died after many years of use. I buy a brand new computer, and the world turns as one. I had just put a 1TB hard drive in the old computer, and I also have an older 750GB external that has everything backed up that I ever had on the internal for posterity, which is good, right? Except that I only kept my iTunes library on the internal drive, and now I'm having music withdrawal.

I'm smart enough to know what I'm looking for in an external case for the 1TB drive, but I came across a dual-bay external case that looks boss enough for me to put both drives in:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182144

Disregarding the brand or reputation for a second, I'm not looking for a RAID setup, because I want each drive to be their own drive; that's why the JBOD setup sounds good to me. Two external drives in one case instead of two, less space used, one power cord and USB only... it's perfect. Now come the questions: each drive will show up as two separate drives on my Mac Mini with this setup, right? Do I have to reformat the disks (which defeats the purpose of what I want), or can I just drop both drives in and fuggedaboutit? Is it wise to have each drive be the same capacity like RAM, or will having one 1TB and one 750GB drive in one case not be a problem?

If anything is a red flag with what I'm looking at, I'm just going to get a single case for the 1TB and keep on truckin' with the 750GB I'm already using. Two cases, power supplies and USB ports taken, but oh well. I'm prepared to just do it that way if it means I can get my music back.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Shaocaholica posted:

The i3s have a place. Really low TDP - 65W for desktop, and iirc 35W for laptop - considering performance that stacks up to 95W/125W TDP quads from AMD. That puts them in a good spot competitively for both powerful portable and inexpensive desktop usage. Ivy Bridge is going to make the sweet spots sweeter there, too. Even the best ARM chips, low power and however many core they may be, don't have poo poo on the Sandy Bridge architecture for performance, and with Ivy Bridge bringing integrated GPU improvements along with super low TDP for dual-core w/ HT and even bringing the possibility of legit quads to long-life laptops, I don't think we'll see dual core get phased out.

The single-threaded performance is just so dominating that there's no reason to get rid of it, and the power efficiency is so great there are a lot of reasons to keep it. The i3 2100s have the HD3000 integrated GPU, which, while not "wow I can actually play modern games if I turn the settings way down" like Llano, is still a whole lotta GPU for an integrated chip and brings substantial power and cost savings over discrete graphics in laptops. Ivy Bridge will do a lot to close the GPU performance gap while making the rest that much better too.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Agreed posted:

The i3s have a place. Really low TDP - 65W for desktop, and iirc 35W for laptop - considering performance that stacks up to 95W/125W TDP quads from AMD. That puts them in a good spot competitively for both powerful portable and inexpensive desktop usage. Ivy Bridge is going to make the sweet spots sweeter there, too. Even the best ARM chips, low power and however many core they may be, don't have poo poo on the Sandy Bridge architecture for performance, and with Ivy Bridge bringing integrated GPU improvements along with super low TDP for dual-core w/ HT and even bringing the possibility of legit quads to long-life laptops, I don't think we'll see dual core get phased out.

The single-threaded performance is just so dominating that there's no reason to get rid of it, and the power efficiency is so great there are a lot of reasons to keep it. The i3 2100s have the HD3000 integrated GPU, which, while not "wow I can actually play modern games if I turn the settings way down" like Llano, is still a whole lotta GPU for an integrated chip and brings substantial power and cost savings over discrete graphics in laptops. Ivy Bridge will do a lot to close the GPU performance gap while making the rest that much better too.

What about AMD? Do their future architectures even allow for dual 'core'? Are there plans for single module Bulldozer part?

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

Shaocaholica posted:

Also, consider that Intel has a single core CPU on the market, the G440.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what

You Are A Elf posted:

I'm fairly competent with computer jargon enough to replace hard drives, RAM, boards and various other stuff. I know enough about hardware to successfully make a computer work without it exploding on me, but I am no means a computer genius, and a lot of stuff still makes me go "huh? :pwn:". It all boils down to basic common sense.

With that said, here's the very short story: my old computer died after many years of use. I buy a brand new computer, and the world turns as one. I had just put a 1TB hard drive in the old computer, and I also have an older 750GB external that has everything backed up that I ever had on the internal for posterity, which is good, right? Except that I only kept my iTunes library on the internal drive, and now I'm having music withdrawal.

I'm smart enough to know what I'm looking for in an external case for the 1TB drive, but I came across a dual-bay external case that looks boss enough for me to put both drives in:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182144

Disregarding the brand or reputation for a second, I'm not looking for a RAID setup, because I want each drive to be their own drive; that's why the JBOD setup sounds good to me. Two external drives in one case instead of two, less space used, one power cord and USB only... it's perfect. Now come the questions: each drive will show up as two separate drives on my Mac Mini with this setup, right? Do I have to reformat the disks (which defeats the purpose of what I want), or can I just drop both drives in and fuggedaboutit? Is it wise to have each drive be the same capacity like RAM, or will having one 1TB and one 750GB drive in one case not be a problem?

If anything is a red flag with what I'm looking at, I'm just going to get a single case for the 1TB and keep on truckin' with the 750GB I'm already using. Two cases, power supplies and USB ports taken, but oh well. I'm prepared to just do it that way if it means I can get my music back.

They use the right definition for JBOD (some companies erroneously mean what they called BIG when they say JBOD), and the reviews have at least one guy sticking in drives in JBOD mode without reformatting them. Plus it seems you can use 2 TB hard drives.

Go for it.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Factory Factory posted:

They use the right definition for JBOD (some companies erroneously mean what they called BIG when they say JBOD), and the reviews have at least one guy sticking in drives in JBOD mode without reformatting them. Plus it seems you can use 2 TB hard drives.

Go for it.

So essentially JBOD means each disk will show up separately on my desktop? Because that's exactly what I want. I want each disk to act as if it's its own drive without combining the two as a virtual single disk; that way I can keep on chugging along similarly with the setup I've got already (the 750GB external and my computer's internal drive, and hopefully a soon to be 1TB external, too). I'm taking the 1TB drive out of my old bad computer and making it an external drive, and since I've got one external already, I figured I'd take it out of its case and drop it in the dual bay one with the 1TB and kill two birds with one stone.

I just want to keep all of my data on both drives and not lose a thing while showing up as two separate storage drives on my computer instead of one virtual drive. Is this the right way of doing it?

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

Shaocaholica posted:

You didn't really say you intended this setup for gaming (though the bandwidth questions point that way,) so if not here's a link to a guy running 4x 5970 cards for hardcore Linux MD5 cracking:

http://blog.zorinaq.com/?e=42

He had no use for the bandwidth, and mainly needed the massive parallel architecture for a specific scientific task. It took quite a bit of doing, and all 4 are on single-lane PCIe slots. There's a breakdown of cost savings over EC2/Tesla instances and everything.

Oddhair fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Nov 15, 2011

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what

You Are A Elf posted:

I just want to keep all of my data on both drives and not lose a thing while showing up as two separate storage drives on my computer instead of one virtual drive. Is this the right way of doing it?

Without derailing into the semantics of "the right way", yes, it will work. There are other ways which would also work which have their own pros and cons, but you are accurately informed about what that thing does.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Sweet. Thanks for the info, FF.

XTimmy
Nov 28, 2007
I am Jacks self hatred
Recommendations for external USB, ethernet or eSATA(is that even possible?) sound cards for my new laptop, onboard sound is poo poo. Just need something to bring it back up to the quality of my old X-FI Music card, which did a great job of rounding out the sound. Just want it for music.

Was looking at the X-Fi GO! and the Surround 5.1, with the 5.1 being slightly prefered due to its flexiablity. But I'm wondering if there's a underdog brand I should be considering. Max I'll pay is ~200AUD.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what

XTimmy posted:

Recommendations for external USB, ethernet or eSATA(is that even possible?) sound cards for my new laptop, onboard sound is poo poo. Just need something to bring it back up to the quality of my old X-FI Music card, which did a great job of rounding out the sound. Just want it for music.

Was looking at the X-Fi GO! and the Surround 5.1, with the 5.1 being slightly prefered due to its flexiablity. But I'm wondering if there's a underdog brand I should be considering. Max I'll pay is ~200AUD.

Asus Xonar U3.

And no, eSATA audio devices are not possible. Ethernet audio is niche and most uses of the two together don't do anything like what you're looking for.

lowcrabdiet
Jun 28, 2004
I'm not Steve Nash.
College Slice
I have a router, modem, HTPC, etc. in the front of a room connected to a UPS. I want to put a NAS in the back of the room, and I'd have to run about 30-40 ft of wire (along walls, inside cable covers) to connect to the router. Can I also run 30-40 ft of power cable so that I can connect the NAS to the UPS? Or is that way too long (hazardous?) to run a power/extension cable?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

lowcrabdiet posted:

I have a router, modem, HTPC, etc. in the front of a room connected to a UPS. I want to put a NAS in the back of the room, and I'd have to run about 30-40 ft of wire (along walls, inside cable covers) to connect to the router. Can I also run 30-40 ft of power cable so that I can connect the NAS to the UPS? Or is that way too long (hazardous?) to run a power/extension cable?

Pretty sure it's against code to just run extension cables through the walls for power.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
I think he meant along the wall, not in the wall.

Should be fine. You can pick up extension cords that long.

• Locked thread