Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fenchurch
Feb 25, 2011

Wandering Knitter posted:

So after attempting what must have been every bunny patter on etsy I've decided to make my pregnant friend this bunny blanket for her baby girl.

I showed my Mom the pattern and she asked if I was getting the baby a real gift as well.

:smithicide:

That is adorable!

What the hell, your mom sounds a little bitchy. Baby is knit worthy, your mom is NOT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dopaMEAN
Dec 4, 2004

FelicityGS posted:

If you need it under your helmet (hello fellow winter biker!), might I recommend a chullo in fingering weight? Knitpicks chullo is the one I'm specifically thinking of: link. I made one with some random fingering weight from socks I had laying around and I love it. Super cozy, not bulky. You'll still need to adjust your helmet some with winter, but that one fits under mine. If you don't want to do all the crazy colour work, just go with one colour instead.

For sleeker scarves, use a thinner yarn plus some smaller needles to match.

The chullo thing really helped, thanks!

I managed to knock out a rudimentary hat in a mere 48 hours! And it's actually a hat, whereas the one I made for my fiance took a month and was giant-sized. Pattern: http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/super-easy-chullo-2

I did mess it up by making it a little too long. But it actually turned out okay. I was thinking that I don't actually need to put the ear flaps on, since it's long enough to cover them fairly well.

I know it's total crap, but now that I feel like I'm capable of making hats maybe I'll try something fancier.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

Awesome! I'm glad I could help. :) I love chullos, they are super cozy and warm. I love what colour yours is.

Vulvarine
Mar 23, 2008
I just saw this pattern for a bike helmet earwarmers recently:
http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/bike-helmet-ear-warmers

Phishi
May 13, 2006
The long and winding road....
Speaking of chullo hats, I saw one at the Puyallup Fair (western WA state fair, more or less) that had the funkiest ear flaps and I can't quite make out how it was done, any ideas?

Here's the whole thing.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Short rows! Knitty's Tychus hat is created out of wedges made that way.

Phishi
May 13, 2006
I figured it was something like that but those are some drastic short rows! Def checking out that pattern. :)

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Vulvarine posted:

Sometimes I contemplate how ridiculous I must look when it's 30F and below out.

Then I remember that I'm warm and not freezing to death and mentally give the finger to all the weird looks I get on my bike.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
Thanks for the response guys. My Mom means well, she really does. :shobon: Also this bunny blanket pattern knits up REALLY quick. I started yesterday and I'm almost done!

dopaMEAN
Dec 4, 2004

Vulvarine posted:

This is amazing, thanks!

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.
I made those bike helmet ear covers for my brother a few years ago and they slipped down a lot, so he ended up having to pin them up. I made these as a replacement last year and he likes them a lot better because the strap over the top keeps them up.
http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/bike-helmet-earmuffs

dopaMEAN
Dec 4, 2004
Okay, yeah, I'm going to make that post-haste.

My friend who biked through the winter last year recommended getting a balaclava. I was thinking this seemed like a good idea: http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/dwarven-battle-bonnet

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

Finished a hat:

It's hard trying to take a half decent picture when there's so little light. The hat didn't fit on psyduck so I used a bowl on a bottle.

Used kitchener for the top. A simple knit, fits my head perfectly and the cashmere is really soft.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Sodium Chloride posted:

Finished a hat:

It's hard trying to take a half decent picture when there's so little light. The hat didn't fit on psyduck so I used a bowl on a bottle.

Used kitchener for the top. A simple knit, fits my head perfectly and the cashmere is really soft.

It looks so cozy. :3:

Thank god for cashmere. We had our first snow today, my face was cozy all day.

Amykinz
May 6, 2007
I thought I was trucking right along on my baby blanket, and I forgot half the yarn overs and K2TOG's in the last row. Soooo, now I'm knitting up to the offending area (every 5 drat stitches), dropping just those stitches down two rows, making the yarn overs and decreases, and then knitting them back up. It is pissing me off, and I'm not going to have drat errors in my baby's blanket... but I haven't touched the stupid thing all day and she is DUE in three weeks.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Anyone have a good pattern for a chevron scarf?

Or any other ideas for a green, cream, and brown coloured scarf?

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005
Haven't knit it myself or anything but I rather like this one:

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/waving-chevron-scarf

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Basic Beater posted:

Anyone have a good pattern for a chevron scarf?

Or any other ideas for a green, cream, and brown coloured scarf?

I made a scarf based off this pattern with changing every K6 to a K4 and adjusting the number of original stitches appropriately.

It's nice because it's a 3-row pattern and therefore automatically reversible, and also easy to remember for working away from home.

And felted it.

It's held up pretty well over the last 10 months.

Phishi
May 13, 2006
I'm partial to a nice striped garter scarf... Done from the long side. Probably not as much fun though. \/:)\/

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I've been doing this sweet chevron scarf. Not in those colors, God knows, but it can look really, really good.

Also, this double-knit one is stunning.

HeatherChandler
Jun 21, 2007

Is this turnout weak or what? I had at least 70 more people at my funeral.
So... I've been working on the Echo Flower Shawl (http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/echo-flower-shawl)for a few days and it (was) starting to look so beautiful. So beautiful I took out my previous lifelines to admire it. Long story short, I'm starting over tomorrow, just frustrated to lose 5 hours of work.

Since I have to start over I'm going to try and make my garter-tab cast-on look a bit neater. I have found a billion tutorials but the problem I have doesn't seem to be one that anyone addresses. When I use the crochet chain provisional cast on I lose the first stitch when I go to knit it back onto the needle. I unravel the crochet chain and there are only 2 stitches where there were 3. I don't get how it makes a stitch that holds? I have no idea how to explain it but maybe someone knows what I mean. I ended up improvising with a spare needle and it hid in the tab pretty well, but it definitely isn't perfect. Can I use this way maybe? http://knitty.com/ISSUEfall05/FEATfall05TT.html There is still a slipknot but maybe it will hide better.

Has anyone else knit this? I see it's really popular on Ravelry. I've never done any of these stitches and I find myself enjoying the 2 and 3 into 9's a lot! So gratifying when you see them turn into these pretty little petals...

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Part of why you're losing that is provisional stitches naturally have one less than what you cast on. There was some Interweave newsletter about it, but a good idea (and what I do) is to crochet on one more chain than you'll need. Another option is to pick up a stitch, OR do a yarn over, which you knit through the back on the next row (which closes the hole).

Drei
Feb 23, 2006

she's incredible math
The thing with provisional is that you're actually picking up the bottom of the stitch.

So if each V is a stitch:

VVV

Imagine the trianglular openings are the loops. So you have three loops at the top, but 3 Vs only make two openings at the bottom. So yes, when you do a provisional CO you end up picking up one less stitch!

walrusonthehill
Mar 18, 2008

yes durians
I've been thinking about getting back into knitting but last time I tried, I didn't get very far because the yarn made me really sneezy. Are there any sorts of yarns a beginner could knit with that wouldn't be as nasally agitating? I'd like to be able to make scarves.

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

walrusonthehill posted:

I've been thinking about getting back into knitting but last time I tried, I didn't get very far because the yarn made me really sneezy. Are there any sorts of yarns a beginner could knit with that wouldn't be as nasally agitating? I'd like to be able to make scarves.

Do you know what type of yarn it was? There are about a million different blends of different fibers any one of which you could be allergic too (except I don't think anyone is allergic to acrylic but who knows). Things like mohair and angora tend to shed a bit which could make sneeziness worse. I would maybe go to a yarn store and fondle some different things and try to figure out what exactly gives you a problem.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Bob Shadycharacter posted:

(except I don't think anyone is allergic to acrylic but who knows).

Hi there. It doesn't make me sneeze, but I do break out into awful rashes/boils and my hands itch for days afterward.

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

FelicityGS posted:

Hi there. It doesn't make me sneeze, but I do break out into awful rashes/boils and my hands itch for days afterward.

Well there you go!

I guess people can be allergic to anything.

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Blue moon of Kentucky keep on shinin'...

Bob Shadycharacter posted:

Well there you go!

I guess people can be allergic to anything.

I know at least one person who breaks out when she uses wool, but that doesn't stop her at all.

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005
I finished Oscar's sweater:

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Aw, that looks so nice! It makes him look very dignified.

Jollity Farm
Apr 23, 2010

I have heard that cotton and linen don't cause allergies, but many people find both of those hard to knit with as they're quite heavy and stiff. There are also other plant-based yarn fibres, like bamboo, soya, rayon etc, which may be easier. Of course, as Bob said above, people might be allergic to anything in the world, so your best bet is to (as Bob says) go to a store and poke at some stuff. Any knitting store that doesn't let you squish the yarns is rubbish.

Currently, I'm knitting scarves for Christmas presents, with Wendy Mode chunky in different colours. Will also make hats to match if I have time, but I'm concentrating on the scarves right now so as to make sure I have at least one thing for everyone.

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

FelicityGS posted:

Aw, that looks so nice! It makes him look very dignified.

Thanks! He has as much dignity as a dog who routinely loses fights with blankets can.

He actually seems to like it, I held it up a little while ago and he came running over to have it put on. :3:

walrusonthehill
Mar 18, 2008

yes durians
Thanks for the info. Sounds like fondling is the way to go. :)

Vulvarine
Mar 23, 2008
I'm taking up moebius knitting and I was wondering if anybody knows of a good reversible lace pattern that doesn't curl. Doesn't have to be identical on both sides, but I'd like something attractive. The closest I've found is Old Shale Ridges (similar to feather and fan, but with some purl rows). Also any other attractive reversible stitch patterns, especially ones that some out springy and soft (seed stitch is no good).

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Vulvarine posted:

I'm taking up moebius knitting and I was wondering if anybody knows of a good reversible lace pattern that doesn't curl. Doesn't have to be identical on both sides, but I'd like something attractive. The closest I've found is Old Shale Ridges (similar to feather and fan, but with some purl rows). Also any other attractive reversible stitch patterns, especially ones that some out springy and soft (seed stitch is no good).

This cable knit scarf is reversible and pretty simple to do:

http://www.cometosilver.com/patterns/palindrome.htm

HeatherChandler
Jun 21, 2007

Is this turnout weak or what? I had at least 70 more people at my funeral.

Drei posted:

The thing with provisional is that you're actually picking up the bottom of the stitch.

So if each V is a stitch:

VVV

Imagine the trianglular openings are the loops. So you have three loops at the top, but 3 Vs only make two openings at the bottom. So yes, when you do a provisional CO you end up picking up one less stitch!

FelicityGS posted:

Part of why you're losing that is provisional stitches naturally have one less than what you cast on. There was some Interweave newsletter about it, but a good idea (and what I do) is to crochet on one more chain than you'll need. Another option is to pick up a stitch, OR do a yarn over, which you knit through the back on the next row (which closes the hole).
Ahaaa Thanks for the explanation and the fix :) Back at it. It's so weird, I can figure out difficult stitches alright but cast-ons and cast-offs seem to swoosh right over my head.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

I'm sure this has been answered a thousand times before, but dammit, it's a long thread :mad:

What's the best place you guys have found for buying yarn online for a reasonable price?

I want to make the norwegian felted slippers for christmas prezzies but am finding it difficult to get 100% wool yarn that is not superwash (and the wool I have come across is upwards of 7 euro a ball :(

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

Pookah posted:

I'm sure this has been answered a thousand times before, but dammit, it's a long thread :mad:

What's the best place you guys have found for buying yarn online for a reasonable price?

I want to make the norwegian felted slippers for christmas prezzies but am finding it difficult to get 100% wool yarn that is not superwash (and the wool I have come across is upwards of 7 euro a ball :(

I'm looking for some decently priced wool, too. I'm making my boyfriend a hat and want to try nalbinding, but the technique requires you to pull the entire working yarn through each stitch, so you need to use shorter yarns that can be spliced together. Single-ply wool seems to be a good choice, but I don't have any in the right colors.

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005
If you're in the US knitpicks is my favorite for cheap but decent yarn.

Also JoAnns and Michaels both carry Patons Classic Wool, which is great for felting stuff and you can easily get 40-50% off coupons for both those stores.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drei
Feb 23, 2006

she's incredible math
You can also sometimes get lucky looking through people's destashes on Ravelry. On average people are willing to sell for the cost of the yarn itself, including shipping, so that's cheaper than buying in a store with taxes or buying online with shipping. I just got a skein of Blue Sky Alpaca sportweight for $6.