Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mdivi
Nov 23, 2003

Nothing happen for nothing
Not the smartest move

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.
Don't tell the man how to do his business :colbert:

Elgar
Mar 12, 2005
Hey guys, what is going on I don't understand.
We've all been there.

mdivi
Nov 23, 2003

Nothing happen for nothing
I hate it when people show up to work drunk.

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!
Here's a pretty good shot from Remembrance Day - my father in law, his dad, me, and my son. His dad flew fighters in the war (first over Sicily in '43) and continued until 1968 (Vampires and Sabres). He married Roy Brown's daughter after the war, and they had Don, who flew Voodoos (425 Sqn and with the Warlocks demo team), Phantoms on exchange with the RAF, lead solo with the Snowbirds, F-5s as a Fighter Weapons Instructor, then contracted with BAE to teach Hawks to the Saudi Air Force and the UAE.

I'm a now a 32U after 9 years in the Navy (my grandfather also flew Spits), and my kid likes getting thrown in the air. Also, I was by far the most hungover after the Remembrance Day drinking - beaten by a 90 year old.

Yes my top tunic button is undone - fuckit, I'm in the air force now.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
What's a 32U? Why are you an officer cadet? Where in Canada are there still leaves on the trees on November 11th? I'm confused.

That's an awesome family history though. Something to be proud of for sure.

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!
32U is an untrained pilot. I'm an OCdt because I don't have a university degree yet. It's Victoria BC; most of the leaves are gone now, but some of those are Arbutus trees so they don't really lose them.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
They cannot handle my paperwork unless there is an existing opening.

They cannot request an additional opening unless they have my paperwork.

:suicide:

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

Welcome to the machine.

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

I see nothing wrong with this. Seems like the CF is working as intended.

Elgar
Mar 12, 2005
Hey guys, what is going on I don't understand.

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

Tell them to request an additional opening with your paperwork, then to handle that additional opening once completed with said paperwork.

Manicured Meat
Jan 8, 2005

3rd strongest
Not in the forces myself but I work with you folks daily. I'm with a large Telcom serving up your internets. Pretty amazed how friendly most of the CF is, at least to us.

Manicured Meat fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Nov 16, 2011

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"
It's because everyone's trying to build bridges for when they inevitably hop the fence back to civvie land. :ssh:

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

It's because the Forces make Canadian Telcos look efficient.

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

The only thing I hate more than hippie neo-liberal fascists and anarchists are the hypocrite fat cat suits they grow up to become.
My whole troop got loaded at the Legion for Remembrance Day then had to come in to pour concrete for 2 hours early the next day.

I wasn't drunk at work, stopped drinking at 1 ish. We all raided the Pint on Jasper ave and confused the hell out of civvies.

Commander Jebus
Sep 9, 2001

You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought...

We had to work remembrance day... And the weekend. And pretty much every weekend for months.

That is what happens when the CMS goes on W5 and says your unit will be weapons certified by 2012.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

Turned in my last uniform today, freedom is only 2 days away

Morristron
Nov 20, 2010
Welcome, My Spirit Otter.

You can tell us about it. This is a safe space. Today you begin walking down the long road to recovery.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

My Spirit Otter posted:

Turned in my last uniform today, freedom is only 2 days away

Welcome.........Home :)

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
Curious, is anybody in the air force in a field working with the aircraft? Avionics systems, aviation systems, weapons systems, etc.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Just for you, Spirit Otter. Because I love raging on the C3, seems the M777 has some teething problems too.

Barrel was 20 meters away from the gun. 14 injuries, 6 critical.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

MA-Horus posted:

Just for you, Spirit Otter. Because I love raging on the C3, seems the M777 has some teething problems too.

Holy poo poo, when and where was this?

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Dunno the details, wish I did. Got it from the Military Pictures thread. Looks to me like a round cooked off in the barrel.

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

MA-Horus posted:

Dunno the details, wish I did. Got it from the Military Pictures thread. Looks to me like a round cooked off in the barrel.

Grampybone posted:

Yeah everyone lived, it was 12-14 wounded if I recall. I know 4 dudes had to be air evaced and a couple guys had main arterial bleeding.

This was sometime in the spring or summer, I don't remember exactly when.

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?
I was wondering if someone could tell me what's wrong with MARS and MARS training.
Spent some time reading through the thread and now i'm worried :ohdear:

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Elindale posted:

I was wondering if someone could tell me what's wrong with MARS and MARS training.
Spent some time reading through the thread and now i'm worried :ohdear:

My predecessor just got to Esquimault and sent a little update email. Keep in mind that this is coming from his experience at the combat training centre, which is all combat arms officer types. Here's a summary:

He was immediately hooked up with a career manager who got a grip on him and sent off messages for course loading and training immediately.

There is no on the job training, it's just show up for work and do completely nothing.

PT is completely unstructured, poorly planned, and poorly executed. Their gym has like four machines, a couple of exercise bikes, and a bench. PT is not a priority in the MARS world.

You are considered "hard" if you stay the whole day, AWOL is a huge problem. They just finished charging a guy for 70 days AWOL. 8000 dollar fine.

Alcoholism and drug abuse are huge. They had to close the mess because it was common for many PATs to be completely hammered after lunch.

Nothing is handled with memos and administration flows much faster with less strict chain of command requirements.

In summary, the culture of the trade while you're awaiting training seems to be counter-productive to morale, discipline, and professional development. However, they seem to care a lot about their personnel in terms of administration.

There are a lot more navy types in this thread and this is just what one of our transferred guys said about the training platoon in Esquimault right now. I wouldn't mind going MARS when the time comes, all things considered.

tuyop fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Dec 11, 2011

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!

tuyop posted:

PT is completely unstructured, poorly planned, and poorly executed. Their gym has like four machines, a couple of exercise bikes, and a bench. PT is not a priority in the MARS world.

That's probably because there are two well-equipped gyms like 6 blocks away, one at Naden and and the other at Dockyard.

Otherwise it sounds like business as usual at the Naval training establishments.

Freeze
Jan 2, 2006

I've never seen it written so neatly

Well I'm starting BMOQ on January 9th as an NCSE. I did well on my interview largely thanks to some of the tips in this thread like:

• Never break eye contact
• Repeatedly ask for details about guns (eg. What kind of gun do I get? When do I get it? How long until I get the gun???)
• Speak enthusiastically about "killing towel-heads"
• If possible, sweat profusely

So thanks! If you all have any advice for BMOQ I'd be happy to hear it!

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"
Tell everyone about your previous experience in the militia (even if you had none). Refuse to use that experience to make your platoon's life easier.

Alternatively, pay attention, don't ask staff stupid questions about previous service like 'How many people did you kill?' and enjoy what is probably the easiest course that you'll take throughout your career training.

HammerOfHope
Apr 21, 2003

Pounding away since 1984.
Welcome to the CSE trade. Tell lots of cadet stories in St-Jean, they love cadets.

Gay but Spooky
Oct 25, 2005

Freeze posted:

Well I'm starting BMOQ on January 9th as an NCSE. I did well on my interview largely thanks to some of the tips in this thread like:

• Never break eye contact
• Repeatedly ask for details about guns (eg. What kind of gun do I get? When do I get it? How long until I get the gun???)
• Speak enthusiastically about "killing towel-heads"
• If possible, sweat profusely

Don't worry about it. Just enjoy the process

Gay but Spooky
Oct 25, 2005

Simkin posted:

Alternatively, pay attention, don't ask staff stupid questions about previous service like 'How many people did you kill?' and enjoy what is probably the easiest course that you'll take throughout your career training.

NETP-O will be considerably easier!

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Freeze posted:

Don't take it too seriously. You might get to a point where things like polished boots or loose beds actually bother you on some level. This is an indication that you are taking it too seriously.

Run and do pushups. If you have any other fitness regimen right now, sub in lots more running and pushups. You will find life infinitely easier if you can run a 5:30 mile and do 60 pushups because these are the primary qualities of a Good Soldier according to CFLRS.

Watch this video. Practice folding a shirt this way. Wow your peers with your immaculate, quickly folded t-shirts. Folding a t-shirt to specific measurements is another important quality of a Good Soldier according to CFLRS.

In line with Simkin's advice, almost never ask questions. Your questions may seem pertinent and smart but they're usually just going to waste everyone's time or make everyone's life worse. Before you ask ANYTHING, think about whether the answer could possibly make your life more difficult. Such as, "What do we do with our cell phones?" If the staff haven't taken them away yet. The answer to this question will be that the staff will take away your cell phones. Apply this to things like, "Do we bring our gas masks?" "Are we packing our second sleeping bag for the ruck march?" Stuff like that.

Drama Llama
Mar 27, 2009

"I hope you can take one alive sheriff, it would be a boom to science..."

Simkin posted:

and enjoy what is probably the easiest course that you'll take throughout your career training.

He's Navy. He gets to go on NETPO. :c00lbert:

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

The only thing I hate more than hippie neo-liberal fascists and anarchists are the hypocrite fat cat suits they grow up to become.
Don't start smoking, don't ask questions, if people tell you to do stupid things just do them. Don't think too much, don't be lazy or a bitch. Take the course seriously enough to not be a pump but always realise that all of the poo poo you're doing has very little bearing on whether or not you'll make a good soldier beyond teaching you to work hard and well with people you probably hate. Don't use the toiletries you have out on your shelf for inspection. Remember that you can do anything you want in the army as long as you don't get caught.

And hey people who are fit and can do well at PT get treated a lot better than fatties, in the army at least.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Be outstandingly average. Don't break the mold, don't make yourself noticeable, don't be an individual. DON'T VOLUNTEER FOR ANYTHING. Help your buddies as much as you can, as long as it doesn't get you extra duty.

Ruse
Dec 16, 2005

Gentlemen, let's broaden our minds!
Or alternatively, gently caress with the instructors ever so subtly, only so they notice. They will give you extra PT or whatever, but they will love you.

Barrakketh
Apr 19, 2011

Victory and defeat are the same. I urge you to act but not to reflect on the fruit of the act. Seek detachment. Fight without desire.

Don't withdraw into solitude. You must act. Yet action mustn't dominate you. In the heart of action you must remain free from all attachment.
gently caress being a grey man. You only get to be a plug once.

Go all out. Name your rifle Widow-maker and say that she loves you for who you are and not your uniform. Start every morning inspection with a hearty "Why, hi there! Master of Corporals Bloggins!" and extend your hand at eye level for him to shake it. When the scoldings become too much switch to "Prrrrrrrrrrriiiiiiii-VATE Bloggins *service number* Super soldier extra-or-di-naire!".

Sew string to every article of clothing you have so you'll never lose it.

Make up fantastical stories of your platoon's VC recipient, each more elaborate than the last. The same goes for the biography you must write about yourself.

Volunteer for everything. Volunteer your friends for everything. Volunteer the staff for everything.

Demand that your friends and family send you food like cured venision or smoked salmon in the biggest boxes possible. Ensure every letter you receive is drenched in skanky stripper perfume.

Always, always ask if you need your helmets or gas mask.

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!

Barrakketh posted:

Always, always ask if you need your helmets or gas mask.

Can NOT emphasize this enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

MA-Horus posted:

yea, but Americans