Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses
Yeah the WoT game is pretty good, I'm sure if you played it today it'd be all "meh" but at the time it was a really solid FPS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

IRQ posted:

The WoT FPS was really pretty good for its time, unless I somehow missed a new one? The GoT RTS game... dear god, I want those 20 minutes back. I wanted to play more of it to tell you guys how horrible it was but IT'S TOO HORRIBLE.

I didn't mind it gameplay wise. It was definitely different. But I hated the concept...an Aes Sedai that can't channel and has to collect Ter'Angreal to use as attacks or magically summon her Warder. The story wasn't too bad, either...especially for an FPS in the late '90s. I guess you're right...I just really, really hate the combat system in it...

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

I'm having a really hard time imagining Wolfenstein with braid-tugging. Does MechaHitler dress like a samurai?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Devorum posted:

I didn't mind it gameplay wise. It was definitely different. But I hated the concept...an Aes Sedai that can't channel and has to collect Ter'Angreal to use as attacks or magically summon her Warder. The story wasn't too bad, either...especially for an FPS in the late '90s. I guess you're right...I just really, really hate the combat system in it...

See that's actually something I thought they did a good job with. Because how else do you make the WoT magic system work with the gun/ammo system? And let's face it, that was something you had to do in an FPS at the time (especially one that wasn't a AAA title). The explanation was something like the character you play is super weak in the power, so she has to use the angreals to do anything, which isn't even entirely off the wall in terms of the books (Siuan later, most of the girls getting into the dream world, etc), although it might have been when it was made. I thought it got around the design problem in a way that worked very well.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I want a Mount&Blade Game of Thrones game. They already made an adaption of Mount&Blade for one book series, why not this one?

It's basically an open-ended roleplaying game without fantasy elements where you build yourself up from nothing to a lordship ruling and managing a whole region. Bronn-style. It'd be perfect in this setting. Set it a couple of hundred years ago during Targ rule. And the game's already known to be good and fun.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

There was an ASOIF mod, it sucked poo poo though.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

MikeJF posted:

I want a Mount&Blade Game of Thrones game. They already made an adaption of Mount&Blade for one book series, why not this one?

Main problem is that a Bloody Mummers or Brienne simulator is all that could be achieved, and that's pretty much the most boring part of ASOIAF.

...a GREGOR mod would be cool, though.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Mount&Blade: Gregor edition is just Saint's Row/GTA: Westeros edition.

Not that I'm not totally down with that.

Maybe a Skyrim mod?

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
But there'd be dragons loving everywhere and you'd be goddamned shouting in dragon.

Immersion = ruined.

(yes, you can mod that out, but when you CAN add dragons, you WILL add dragons)

Also everyone would be basically playing a Redguard.

ASOIAF: Summer Islander sim.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

my cat is norris posted:

I'm having a hard time coming up with a good equivalent for Jamie's character.

Dinobot from Beast Wars. Actually, because Beast Wars has actual characterization, a lot of analagous characters suggest themselves. Qyburn is Tarantulas, Cercei is Blackarachnia, Viserys is Terrorsaur, Depthcharge is Brienne, Ramsey is Inferno, Tyrion is Rattrap, John Snow is Tigatron, and Bran is Cheetor.

Last but not least, of course, Beric Dondarrion is Waspinator.

And that's probably the nerdiest saddest post I will ever, ever make.

Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006

Why cookie Rocket posted:

Dinobot from Beast Wars. Actually, because Beast Wars has actual characterization, a lot of analagous characters suggest themselves. Qyburn is Tarantulas, Cercei is Blackarachnia, Viserys is Terrorsaur, Depthcharge is Brienne, Ramsey is Inferno, Tyrion is Rattrap, John Snow is Tigatron, and Bran is Cheetor.

Ramsay doesn't have the blind loyalty that makes Inferno great. Nor does he have a gun bigger than a person.

Is anyone else reminded of Star Wars by Jaime's adventures with Brienne? He gets his hand cut off and replaced with a fake one, and Vargo Hoat talks all slobbery like some kinda star wars alien. And there's a big sword fight I guess. I think there was more, but I forget.

Also, I think fantasy authors make deals with terrible game developers because that's the best they can get and it's money and exposure, even though an author popular enough for a cruddy video game doesn't need the exposure from said game.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Metropolis posted:

Ramsay doesn't have the blind loyalty that makes Inferno great. Nor does he have a gun bigger than a person.

Yeah on further reflection Ramsey is much more like Rampage.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Metropolis posted:

Is anyone else reminded of Star Wars by Jaime's adventures with Brienne? He gets his hand cut off and replaced with a fake one, and Vargo Hoat talks all slobbery like some kinda star wars alien. And there's a big sword fight I guess. I think there was more, but I forget.

Also, I think fantasy authors make deals with terrible game developers because that's the best they can get and it's money and exposure, even though an author popular enough for a cruddy video game doesn't need the exposure from said game.

Hey, now, Betrayal at Krondor and Return to Krondor were both pretty good (even though Feist sucks) and the Witcher games are well regarded.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

I remember reading about the games rights being sold a few years ago, before there was any mention of a HBO series. So they're probably just churning out any crap to make a quick buck then sell the rights for a fortune when it gets even more popular.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Why cookie Rocket posted:

Except everyone is loving scared of Depth Charge. And THAPPHIRETH is Waspinator. Also Blackarachnia eventually falls in love with Silverbolt and becomes a Maximal, not continues to gently caress her relatives and everyone else in sight and eventually winds up in prison because she brought back a religious army. :colbert:

Viserys is Megatron. Plotting, schemeing, speaking grandly, he's even a goddamn dragon at the end.

I noticed you also forgot Optimus, Rhinox, Scorpinox, Airrazor, and let's even say Tigerhawk despite him being Tigatron and Airrazor duct taped together by evil rastafarian aliens.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

I left out Airrazor because her character sucks so much. "I am a girl, and a bird." I wont fight you on any of those except any guy who dies and comes back to life every two seconds is clearly Waspinator.

Thanks for bringing up Silverbolt, who is clearly Robb. The only Rhinox candidate I can think of is Moqorro, what with the tech and spirituality and being uncontrollably badass.

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k
I want an ASOIAF GTA ripoff. It practically sells itself what with it probably being a rape simulator and all. Think about all the publicity it would get!

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?

Contra Calculus posted:

I want an ASOIAF GTA ripoff. It practically sells itself what with it probably being a rape simulator and all. Think about all the publicity it would get!

And make sure it has a super sekret "white chocolate" code you can input to bang your sister after a hard day doing quests in King's Landing.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Westeros: TOTAL WAR would be badass

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Somebody did an EU:3 westeros mod. I tried it out but Winterfell attacked the Wall in the first couple of years and it kind of went downhill from there. I think its a workable idea though.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

Intel&Sebastian posted:

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=721

It's a Medieval 2 mod. Never tried it, give us a trip report if you do.

Beef Hardcheese
Jan 21, 2003

HOW ABOUT I LASH YOUR SHIT

TXT BOOTY7 2 47474
Jan 12, 2006

eat your vegetables dot com

Simon Draskovic posted:

Sure are some funny images here, thanks man. I particularly like the clever Bran commentary.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

The bottom ones aren't particularly funny. I mean, none of them are funny exactly, but the last four are even worse.

OperaMouse
Oct 30, 2010

Kekekela posted:

Somebody did an EU:3 westeros mod. I tried it out but Winterfell attacked the Wall in the first couple of years and it kind of went downhill from there. I think its a workable idea though.

Crusader Kings 2 looks like it will have all the ingredients necessary to capture the politics and scheming.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
So did EU: Rome.

Welp.

basx
Aug 16, 2004

Sassy old man!

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

The bottom ones aren't particularly funny. I mean, none of them are funny exactly, but the last four are even worse.

What was the last funny thing you did? I giggled at the infected booboo, stop being a jaded goon.

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009

basx posted:

What was the last funny thing you did? I giggled at the infected booboo, stop being a jaded goon.

This man brought us Clegane and Co., PI... I think that counts for something.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
Franz Liebekind, The Producers: "I
am the author. You are the audience. I
outrank you!"

Rurik
Mar 5, 2010

Thief
Warrior
Gladiator
Grand Prince

whowhatwhere posted:

So did EU: Rome.

Welp.
Don't you dare imply that CK2 will suck like Rome (or suck at all for that matter) or I'll throw you into an oubliette in the bowels of Casterly Rock.

86 days left until CK2. I'm waiting for it more than I'm waiting for book 6.

TheLoquid
Nov 5, 2008

Rurik posted:

Don't you dare imply that CK2 will suck like Rome (or suck at all for that matter) or I'll throw you into an oubliette in the bowels of Casterly Rock.

wait wait wait, you're buying a paradox game at launch and you're expecting it to be good? Everyone knows you need to wait at least for the first expansion pack.

OperaMouse
Oct 30, 2010

TheLoquid posted:

wait wait wait, you're buying a paradox game at launch and you're expecting it to be good? Everyone knows you need to wait at least for the first expansion pack.

This one is different, trust me.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

Rurik posted:

CK2 Is Going To Be Perfect :neckbeard:

CK2 Is Going To Be Perfect :pray:

CK2 Is - Is Going To Be Perfect :unsmith:

CK2 Is.... :negative: IT'S ALL A LIE :negative:

Also when did we get a GRRMatar? :george:

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
So, what's our bet on the next even minimally likable character to die a pointless and horrible death?

I'm betting on Bran.

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009
What is this CK2 bullshit, I want to believe its the long awaited Citizen Kane sequel.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
"strategy" game sequel to the greatest horrible game ever made: Crusader Kings.

Where strategic incest is actually a vital part of your eugenics campaign to build the ultimate king; alternately, waiting for a hunchbacked drooling idiot of a ruler so that all your vassals rebel and you can't do anything about it because, well, hunchbacked drooling ruler. Then you can have your wife hate you so much she sends an assassin after you. Or maybe you off her so that you can marry the lady with the better title, or better stats. And if you survive all that, you can get completely hosed by the one-two punch of the black death and the mongols. The black death murders all your family members, and the mongols give no fucks and will literally conquer the entire map in twenty years or so.

It's a horrible game because the actual gameplay is basically clicking on text boxes when a random event happens, and tech is completely opaque, and battles are more or less throwing a gigantic army under a good leader more than any real strategy.

But seriously: best game. It's ASOIAF only more ludicrous.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
That sounds loving awesome.

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses

OperaMouse posted:

This one is different, trust me.

Good subtitle for the future Winds of Winter thread.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Liquid Communism posted:

So, what's our bet on the next even minimally likable character to die a pointless and horrible death?

Davos is going to die of foot rot after arriving in the mysterious dangerous place where Rickon is supposed to be. Meanwhile Rickon, who had never been there, will be brought up to the Wildlings to rally them to rescue Manse and take Winterfell, since they didn't want to follow Jon now that he was a Lich King with the power to Warg entire armies of gorillas giants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

whowhatwhere posted:

dragons loving everywhere
Don't give GRRM any ideas.