Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jvempire
May 10, 2009

Color Printer posted:

The flashing phrases remind me of They Live, though it took someone pointing them out for me to realize they were there in the first place.
It's definitely a reference to They Live. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Lwlx3GnLGs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
I don't know what you guys are talking about, the latest comic looks perfectly normal.

I have a strange urge that just hit me to break up with my girlfriend, bake a big cake, eat the whole thing in one sitting because of my relationship depression and then fall into a food coma, though.

And the weird thing is I don't even have a girlfriend.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Seoinin posted:

And on top of everything else, there's still a Guy Fieri.

Pack it the gently caress in, humanitailures.

At this rate, we're going to find out that John Cusack somehow does not exist.

..Oh man I just realized that if Rose still has her book, and John has the code for the potted plant, they could use Dad's hat and reverse alchemise the Matriorb.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

YggiDee posted:

..Oh man I just realized that if Rose still has her book, and John has the code for the potted plant, they could use Dad's hat and reverse alchemise the Matriorb.

All those things are in their houses on their planets, which Jade took with her.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

Just noticed the Condesce's ship is in the Mars ad. Welp.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
Whatever's going I can only hope for someone in the Dave/Bro contingent to be the Rowdy Roddy Piper in this scenario. They've already got the shades.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

I'm seeing some speculation about how it is kind of odd that the trolls performed the ectobiological stuff in their post-scratch universe, and the kids did it in their pre-scratch universe. Here's the thing though: at what point was it stated that what we are currently looking at is the universe created by scratching the kid's session? It is certainly implied to be, but there's also no small amount of coyly playing with the reader's expectations here. For all we know the narrative has actually jumped back a step in the cycle rather than forward, and there really isn't a reason why jumping through the fourth wall forces Jade and John to pop into the *next* universe. Almost by definition, the fourth wall pretty much lets Jade go wherever the hell she wants to.

In other words, the possibility exists that this is actually the original Earth and the kids are actually from the glitched universe that will be created when Jane scratches her SBURB session (with the trolls "creating" the kid's universe only due to circumstantial simultaneity with the original trolls creating the original humans). Who knows what madness was spawned as a consequence of John scratching Beat Mesa, but we don't really know for certain yet that Jane and Jake's world is it.

Why would going backwards be important to resolving the story? If Jade can somehow prevent the corrupted birth of her own universe (perhaps by repairing the ectobiological glitch that binds the two universes together?), it probably follows that Lord English is defeated by virtue of never getting to already be here in the first place.

This theory would also mean that the kid's universe having cancer isn't *really* Karkat's fault, since it was kind of fated to be messed up anyway. :unsmith:

If I've forgotten some glaringly obvious bit of story that would capsize this theory, please feel free to sink it. I've sort of gotten used to forgetting pertinent information anyway. :v:

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Thundarr posted:

I'm seeing some speculation about how it is kind of odd that the trolls performed the ectobiological stuff in their post-scratch universe, and the kids did it in their pre-scratch universe. Here's the thing though: at what point was it stated that what we are currently looking at is the universe created by scratching the kid's session? It is certainly implied to be, but there's also no small amount of coyly playing with the reader's expectations here. For all we know the narrative has actually jumped back a step in the cycle rather than forward, and there really isn't a reason why jumping through the fourth wall forces Jade and John to pop into the *next* universe. Almost by definition, the fourth wall pretty much lets Jade go wherever the hell she wants to.

So then there would be yet another universe that is the real post-scratch universe?

Christ, if this theory is true at some point Hussie has to sit down and think "Maybe I've got a few too many universes floating around here."

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Jake's....computer....uh...

:stare:

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

Well gently caress, looks like Hussie isn't even going to try and be subtle about the connection between Jake and Lord English.

e:actually ignore that last bit

Chic Trombone fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Nov 14, 2011

Walliard
Dec 29, 2010

Oppan Windfall Style

Chic Trombone posted:

Well gently caress, looks like Hussie isn't even going to try and be subtle about the connection between Jake and Lord English.

e: Also grandpa John is apparently alive :toot:

quote:

GG: So if I have this straight, the big thing hogging up your plate today is not this marvelous new game which I have invited you to play with me, but finishing a robotic rabbit to give to my dead poppop?

And he wasn't really being subtle before.

Jim the Nickel
Mar 2, 2006

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

Chic Trombone posted:

e: Also grandpa John is apparently alive :toot:

"GG: So if I have this straight, the big thing hogging up your plate today is not this marvelous new game which I have invited you to play with me, but finishing a robotic rabbit to give to my dead poppop?"

Um..

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

I posted that only a few lines in, whoops. Reading comprehension :downs:

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
Favourite thing about this set of updates is that Jane and Jake still talk in olde timey fifties era phrases and poo poo. Like cockamamie and egads and suchlike. Perfect.

I am going to, in my brain, extrapolate thus: that slang has progressed differently in post-scratch: Old people in this universe use out of date terms like "bitchin" and "awesome" and "that be tight dawg", whereas phrases like "horsefeathers" and "by jove" are the newest most hipest of shits.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Prison Warden posted:

Favourite thing about this set of updates is that Jane and Jake still talk in olde timey fifties era phrases and poo poo. Like cockamamie and egads and suchlike. Perfect.

I am going to, in my brain, extrapolate thus: that slang has progressed differently in post-scratch: Old people in this universe use out of date terms like "bitchin" and "awesome" and "that be tight dawg", whereas phrases like "horsefeathers" and "by jove" are the newest most hipest of shits.
how do you explain scratch!mom talking in textspeak, then?

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice
GT: Bingo. *double pistols and a wink*

I'm waiting for Bro Strider and Mom Lalonde's introduction first before I declare my favorite kid, but Jake is making this awfully difficult!

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
What does Jake need %NAME% Strider for to finish the bunny project?

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Devilfucking dickens, indeed.

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!
Okay I'm just confused.

I still have the feel that John, the main John we know is still alive along with Jade and have yet to intervene in this session. I think that this session DOES have a John and Jade as the grandfather to Jane and grandmother to Jake, but are the John and Jade of THIS session. We're just seeing the events take place before the ship's arrival.

Or not.

I am so confused. :(

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?
Oh, no. Poppop... :smith:

Sassacre has claimed another victim.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

JT Jag posted:

She uses it because she wants to imitate her beloved mother, Rose.

Rose just thinks her daughter is being passive aggressive.

Or maybe she's just being ironic!

Edit: goddamn there's an incredible hulk comic under Jake's desk.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

YggiDee posted:

What does Jake need %NAME% Strider for to finish the bunny project?
something loving inscrutable we both know that

FewtureMD
Dec 19, 2010

I am very powerful, of course.

yes Jake, it certainly IS a "spanking ripsnorter of a day", as you so aptly put it. Yay for botherlogs!

Walliard
Dec 29, 2010

Oppan Windfall Style

Waffleopolis posted:

Okay I'm just confused.

I still have the feel that John, the main John we know is still alive along with Jade and have yet to intervene in this session. I think that this session DOES have a John and Jade as the grandfather to Jane and grandmother to Jake, but are the John and Jade of THIS session. We're just seeing the events take place before the ship's arrival.

Or not.

I am so confused. :(

Yes. That John and Jade are completely different from the dead John and Jade in this session, just as Jane and Jake here aren't going to end up as a Sprite and a stuffed corpse in space, respectively.

QueerPope
May 1, 2010

Meow.

JT Jag posted:

She's just a very mature and old-fashioned girl. She likes to use out-dated phrases, just as Rose once did when she was her age.

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!

Walliard posted:

Yes. That John and Jade are completely different from the dead John and Jade in this session, just as Jane and Jake here aren't going to end up as a Sprite and a stuffed corpse in space, respectively.

I really hope you're right. :ohdear:

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Jake's computer. I want it. :swoon:

Of course, I could say the same of most of the other ___-tops in the comic.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Waffleopolis posted:

It's not a matter of hoping. That is absolutely, positively, beyond the shadow of a doubt what has happened. If it wasn't, there would be no point to the comic continuing, because it would mean that the cycle restarted hassle-free and Lord English had won.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

What, there were people who thought that post-scratch John wasn't going to be already dead when Act 6 started? Nanna was dead when pre-scratch John started playing. :cmon:

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!
Loving this act so far. I'm terribly curious when the old cast will come barging in, but in the meantime these guys and their increasingly horrific world are very interesting to watch! Hoping for plenty more :words:.

Waffleopolis posted:

It is... not terribly likely that our John and Jade would have grown old and died offscreen between acts, apparently achieving nothing. So I think we can be pretty sure that this reset timeline includes reset versions of the kids playing the guardian roles.

One thing that still isn't clear is how Jake ended up working with Jade across timelines in the first place. Who initiated that?

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Prison Warden posted:

Well, it would seem grammar has been subtly altered (Jane's correction is actually wrong, Jake's initial statement is correct), so this actually doesn't seem too out there!

Walliard
Dec 29, 2010

Oppan Windfall Style

Hamiltonian Bicycle posted:

One thing that still isn't clear is how Jake ended up working with Jade across timelines in the first place. Who initiated that?

Obviously not Jake; he thinks he's simply sending it back in time. I'm gonna go on a limb and guess Aradia, because fulfilling that kind of horrendously-complex causal loop seems like her sort of deal.

Android Blues posted:

Well, it would seem grammar has been subtly altered (Jane's correction is actually wrong, Jake's initial statement is correct), so this actually doesn't seem too out there!

No, Jane's got it right. Rule of thumb is to drop one of the pronouns and see if it makes sense. "A joint gift from her" vs "A joint gift from she".

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Loving this act so far. I'm terribly curious when the old cast will come barging in, but in the meantime these guys and their increasingly horrific world are very interesting to watch! Hoping for plenty more :words:.

It is... not terribly likely that our John and Jade would have grown old and died offscreen between acts, apparently achieving nothing. So I think we can be pretty sure that this reset timeline includes reset versions of the kids playing the guardian roles.

Either he's a Prospit (or I guess Derse would theoretically also work) dreamer and is doing the same thing Jade did with her package, or the sinister hand of English stirs the pot. My guess!

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Android Blues posted:

No, Jane is correct in this case: "A joint gift from me" as opposed to "A joint gift from I."

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

YggiDee posted:

No, Jane is correct in this case: "A joint gift from me" as opposed to "A joint gift from I."

Oh, yeah, doy. Disregard!

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Thank you for articulating this, as I am now pretty invested in figuring out what their world is like.

And oh my god, can I just say how much I'd love to captchalog my car? I'd never have to clean snow off that motherfucker again, or look for a parking spot. But mostly the snow.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Slime posted:

goddamn there's an incredible hulk comic under Jake's desk.

Just you watch, Jake is gonna have a statuete of a pimp somewhere. He'll have a poolcue sitting propped against a wall, a sarcophagus, a Final Fight game and a Red Skull figurine. It is gonna happen.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
I am getting the most incredible Equius vibes from Jake's speech. We need more pesterlogs from this gentleman. :allears:

snucks
Nov 3, 2008

Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

QueerPope posted:

She's just a very mature and old-fashioned girl. She likes to use out-dated phrases, just as Rose once did when she was her age.
I want this to be true so bad

I also love how no fan theory is too absurd to be ruled out as infeasible in this thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Prison Warden posted:

Old timey fifties speak needs to come back into vogue. poo poo be classy as gently caress. Also those hats everyone wore from the industrial revolution. >_>'

Also seconding Jake for best kid so far. It will break my heart when go goes crazy and kills everybody.