Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

H.P. Shivcraft
Mar 17, 2008

STAY UNRULY, YOU HEARTLESS MONSTERS!
Hussie is stacking the deck so high on the Jake/LE front that something absolutely ridiculous fakeout is bound to happen.

Also I love how the four original kids all had basically recognizable internet typing styles and Jane and Jake are just loving off-the-wall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice

Hamiltonian Bicycle posted:

It is... not terribly likely that our John and Jade would have grown old and died offscreen between acts, apparently achieving nothing. So I think we can be pretty sure that this reset timeline includes reset versions of the kids playing the guardian roles.

Just to reiterate, John and Jade as we know them probably will come barging into this new timeline. There was another version of John and Jade that grew old and became poppop Crocker/Egbert and and grandma English/Harley.

I really hope that they had rich, full, and happy lives before they became urns/stuffed respectively :shobon:

King of Solomon posted:

I am getting the most incredible Equius vibes from Jake's speech. We need more pesterlogs from this gentleman. :allears:

While rereading Dinosaur Comics, I realized that I read Equius's text in the same voice that I read the Devil's voice for some reason. I have no clue what this means, except maybe I wonder what opinions Equius has about point and click adventures.

Edit: Just read this and start by replacing the first line with "D --> Greeting T-Re%"

creationist believer fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Nov 14, 2011

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I figure Jane and Jake both talk sort of old-timey because they were raised on hardboiled detective stories and pulp adventure tales, respectively.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

H.P. Shivcraft posted:

Hussie is stacking the deck so high on the Jake/LE front that something absolutely ridiculous fakeout is bound to happen.

I'm just clinging to the belief that even if Jake is being manipulated by Scratch and English, he's still a fifteen-year old kid, and unquestioning obedience is generally not their strong suit (which is probably why Jane is being kept in check through a deluge of subliminal messaging).

MODS CURE JOKES
Nov 11, 2009

OFFICIAL SAS 90s REMEMBERER

H.P. Shivcraft posted:

Also I love how the four original kids all had basically recognizable internet typing styles and Jane and Jake are just loving off-the-wall.

I think Jake's deal is that he literally tells you when he is loosening up, hence the *Loosens collar a bit*

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Man, John's going to fly in through that Fourth Wall, find out he's known as 'Poppop Crocker', and have his fourth or fifth nervous breakdown for the day.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I want to believe that in this hellish post-scratch universe, there's a faint glimmer of hope in the fact that Arrested Development was never cancelled.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

So it sounds like the gimmicks are some kind of outrageous dialects, with Jake speaking in some kind of early 20th-century great white hunter patois, Jane an antebellum southern kind of thing and the Mom kid will be a complete headache.

I know this won't have any bearing with anything but this:

quote:

GT: It is for your grandfather simply to be *relayed* to him by my grandmother. A joint gift to him from she and i.
GG: Her and me.
Reminds me a lot of crazy Gamzee because for some reason I remember this specific phrase:

quote:

FTC: just like we are... :o)
FTC: ME AND HIM. Do:
FTC: hoooooooooooooooooonk. ;oD

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Okay, so Dave and Bro are still the Striders. Jane's maiden name is Crocker, which is presumably the same across both sessions (Egbert being her married name in the universe we're familiar with.) So far we're consistent across universes. In the old universe Grandpa Jake was her adopted brother and presumably was also named Crocker originally, but when he ran away he took on the name of his old dog in true pulp adventurer fashion.

So... how did this universe's Jake wind up with the last name English?

Did... did Grandma Jade marry Lord English? :aaa:

QueerPope
May 1, 2010

Meow.
Oh man! When Jade and John crash into this universe, their going to be a really really tiny ship in Jake's bedroom aren't they, like the size of a fly. And then Jade's gonna fly the thing outside and make the thing huge again and Jake is gonna be super-freaking out.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Gabriel Pope posted:

Okay, so Dave and Bro are still the Striders. Jane's maiden name is Crocker, which is presumably the same across both sessions (Egbert being her married name in the universe we're familiar with.) So far we're consistent across universes. In the old universe Grandpa Jake was her adopted brother and presumably was also named Crocker originally, but when he ran away he took on the name of his old dog in true pulp adventurer fashion.

Maybe Grandma Jade had a cool dog named English?

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
Or maybe he got adopted by Doc Scratch after Nanna Jade died and changed his surname to reflect this.

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice

Gabriel Pope posted:

By the PROCESS OF DEDUCTION Baby John and Jade arrived April 13 1910 and April 21 1910 respectively in this universe. John was adopted by Betty Crocker, took her name, married, and had a Dadson who later adopted a meteor girl named Jane, who kept the last name Crocker. Jade married a bloke whose last name was English and/or ran off with a dog whose name sounded like English so she took that as her last name. When she found a meteor baby she used her last name as his, English.

rokkit
Apr 2, 2010

HoNk hOnK HoNk hOnK HoNk!
Jake talks exactly the way Teddy Roosevelt would have if he had been on Clone High.

His is definitely my favourite 'quirk' of all time. I can't wait to (re)meet everyone else...

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I'm still skeptical about Dad's origins. If he really is born normally then why is he present in both universes? He's the same person yet born from two completely different sets of parents. (Nanna and mystery man and John and mystery woman). I suppose we could handwave it away with universal constants or genetic shenanigans due to ectobiology, but I think that he's an anomaly.

Walliard
Dec 29, 2010

Oppan Windfall Style

Regy Rusty posted:

I'm still skeptical about Dad's origins. If he really is born normally then why is he present in both universes? He's the same person yet born from two completely different sets of parents. (Nanna and mystery man and John and mystery woman). I suppose we could handwave it away with universal constants or genetic shenanigans due to ectobiology, but I think that he's an anomaly.

He could have been adopted in both cases. Nanna's story simply mentioned "starting a family".

RickoniX
Dec 4, 2005

A human or elf?

NO NOT A BADGER YOU GOON

Regy Rusty posted:

The kids and guardians are genetic palindromes

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

The very fact that you called him Poppop tells me you're not ready.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Or Dad is the true protagonist. He's already a sentient variable.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I'm still wondering how the fact that the kids are two and a half years younger than the reset-guardian-kids is going to impact things. The trolls and kids were all peers, and the Guardians were distant figures who never spoke and were missing facial features. Will making these reset guardians older than the kids make them dismissive of the kids? Will the kids still be in some ways deferential to their authority? Ugh, I know we need a lot of setup, but I'm dying to see how these kids and the old kids all get along!

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Instead of one defining feature per guardian, there will be two.

H.P. Shivcraft
Mar 17, 2008

STAY UNRULY, YOU HEARTLESS MONSTERS!
Hey so here's a thing:

Botherlog posted:

GG: So if I have this straight, the big thing hogging up your plate today is not this marvelous new game which I have invited you to play with me, but finishing a robotic rabbit to give to my dead poppop?
GT: Bingo. *double pistols and a wink*
GG: You are a very strange and silly boy.
GT: Please jane we have addressed this.
GT: I am sending the gift back in time to when they are both alive and about our age.
GT: Or...
GT: Something like that. Something funny is going on here that i have not fully grappled yet but dag nab it if im not gonna see it through.

It's interesting that Jake thinks he's sending the gift back in time only, rather than back in time and across universes. Obviously he's being fed information, but not very clearly. And he's said his arm was twisted in his letter -- plus, as it was put in the recap, "The gift was the pen pal's idea, and he himself was coerced into the plan by someone else." HMMMM.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

H.P. Shivcraft posted:

Hey so here's a thing:

It's interesting that Jake thinks he's sending the gift back in time only, rather than back in time and across universes. Obviously he's being fed information, but not very clearly. And he's said his arm was twisted in his letter -- plus, as it was put in the recap, "The gift was the pen pal's idea, and he himself was coerced into the plan by someone else." HMMMM.

It seems likely that Jake is being played for what I'd describe as a sucker.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Dolash posted:

I'm still wondering how the fact that the kids are two and a half years younger than the reset-guardian-kids is going to impact things. The trolls and kids were all peers, and the Guardians were distant figures who never spoke and were missing facial features. Will making these reset guardians older than the kids make them dismissive of the kids? Will the kids still be in some ways deferential to their authority? Ugh, I know we need a lot of setup, but I'm dying to see how these kids and the old kids all get along!

I don't know. On the one hand, yeah, the Kids are younger, but on the other hand, they are all God Tier, and that isn't exactly something one should ignore.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

RickoniX posted:

The kids and guardians are genetic palindromes

Not sure exactly what you mean by this but the genetic relationships are that the guardians are all clones of themselves. John and Jade are made up of a combination of Nanna and Grandpa while Dave and Rose are made up of a combination of Mom and Bro.

SexyBrianPuppet
Oct 5, 2010

remember, you are talking to the pranking MASTER.

King of Solomon posted:

I don't know. On the one hand, yeah, the Kids are younger, but on the other hand, they are all God Tier, and that isn't exactly something one should ignore.

But Jane and the other new kids probably don't know what God-Tiers are. They'll just think they're a bunch of weirdos in dorky pajamas.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
It's (very, very remotely) possible that the original kids have been working in the background for 2.5 years and this is a bit of a timeskip for everybody.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

If the pre-Scratch kids have been around for that long, Betty Crocker would have put out warrants for the dead body of a boy wearing square glasses and a windsock hood by then.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Fortis posted:

It seems likely that Jake is being played for what I'd describe as a sucker.

Sending the bunny is like, the catalyst to loving everything up, so it seems like in terms of LE's long game, getting him to do this might well be part of the plan.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

Android Blues posted:

Sending the bunny is like, the catalyst to loving everything up, so it seems like in terms of LE's long game, getting him to do this might well be part of the plan.

I thought that but it seemed like such another obvious JAKE IS WORKING FOR ENGLISH thing that I just discounted it out of hand. It'll be interesting to see how his story plays out.

There will come a point where I am so skeptical of that little bit of speculation that Lord English will be able to pat Jake on the head and honk out "good going helping me with my plan young man you were very helpful. With my plan. Lord English's plan." and I'll still say "nuh uh proves nothing."

rokkit
Apr 2, 2010

HoNk hOnK HoNk hOnK HoNk!

H.P. Shivcraft posted:

Hey so here's a thing:

It's also possible (longshot, but still posible) that this isn't the universe, post-scratch of the kids' session, but the universe, PRE-scratch of the guardians' session. Maybe this has all happened BEFORE the rest of the comic, and is establishing the set-up for both the kids' session, and whatever happens after the scratch.

Or, most likely it could be both before AND after, resulting in a Double Moebius Reacharound... dang time shenanigans.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Regy Rusty posted:

Not sure exactly what you mean by this but the genetic relationships are that the guardians are all clones of themselves. John and Jade are made up of a combination of Nanna and Grandpa while Dave and Rose are made up of a combination of Mom and Bro.

But in this universe, John and Jade are clones of themselves, and Jake and Jane are made up of a combination of them. And Dad's in the middle, exactly the same. Hence, palindromes.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

Fortis posted:

It's (very, very remotely) possible that the original kids have been working in the background for 2.5 years and this is a bit of a timeskip for everybody.

This makes me think of John, Rose, Dave, Jade, and the (still alive) trolls flying around the world foiling Betty Crocker's plans like a Justice League comprised entirely of thirteen-year-old/six-sweeps-old kids. It would be like one of those stories where Lex Luthor becomes president and the superheroes have to do all their heroing underground.

And you know what? That's a pretty cool mental image to me.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

This is what I think Mom and Bro will be like
http://askscenemomandweeabro.tumblr.com/ask

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.

QueerPope posted:

Oh man! When Jade and John crash into this universe, their going to be a really really tiny ship in Jake's bedroom aren't they, like the size of a fly. And then Jade's gonna fly the thing outside and make the thing huge again and Jake is gonna be super-freaking out.

It's entirely possible that Jade and John won't emerge until Jake's bedroom has entered the medium. Which would probably inspire less freaking out than Jade resizing the battleship over pre-apocalypse earth.

If that is indeed the fourth wall through which they will enter, sometime in the future. As opposed to one through which they have already entered, or a different fourth wall entirely.

I really cannot wait until the various plot threads going start to weave together again

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

rokkit posted:

It's also possible (longshot, but still posible) that this isn't the universe, post-scratch of the kids' session, but the universe, PRE-scratch of the guardians' session. Maybe this has all happened BEFORE the rest of the comic, and is establishing the set-up for both the kids' session, and whatever happens after the scratch.

Or, most likely it could be both before AND after, resulting in a Double Moebius Reacharound... dang time shenanigans.

I like this theory, even if it's a really long shot.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
What's the point of a time-skip if you have two guys in your team that can time travel at will?

pandaK posted:

This is what I think Mom and Bro will be like
http://askscenemomandweeabro.tumblr.com/ask

I was going to make fun of this for coming out before we've even seen Mom and Bro, and how dumb it is that people are role playing as them before we know what they look like, their interests are, or their typing styles. But then I realized how much I want this to be the truth. Is that an okay thing, or am I turning into another one of those headcanon guys? :ohdear:

Ammat The Ankh fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Nov 14, 2011

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Well Manicured Man posted:

This makes me think of John, Rose, Dave, Jade, and the (still alive) trolls flying around the world foiling Betty Crocker's plans like a Justice League comprised entirely of thirteen-year-old/six-sweeps-old kids. It would be like one of those stories where Lex Luthor becomes president and the superheroes have to do all their heroing underground.

And you know what? That's a pretty cool mental image to me.

The best 70's cartoon.

Edit: gently caress! I wish I knew Flash because MAN do I want to animate this now.

readingatwork fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Nov 14, 2011

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

readingatwork posted:

The best 70's cartoon.

Edit: gently caress! I wish I knew Flash because MAN do I want to animate this now.

Just watch out for the RADICAL HARDCORE 90s comic book reboot drawn by Rob Liefeld...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Notadoctor
Aug 26, 2008

Regy Rusty posted:

It's funny, I was just thinking about this. Dad is the only human born through supposedly natural means. My brain is hurting trying to come up with what this means. Is Dad the true main character of Homestuck? Is he the anti- Lil' Cal? ...wait. Lil' Cal is the one who inspired Gamzee to put clowns in John's room, and the felt is very colorful, hell Lord English's Cairo Overcoat has that thing where all the colors switch around. Meanwhile Dad is incredibly boring, and bland, and gray. Both have dubious origins and have been with one of the children their whole lives... I'm almost certainly grasping at straws here :P