Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

I don't know where people got the idea that photography isn't worth anything. Nobody ever thinks "I think I should be able to get my haircut for free" or "I should be able to get a custom paint job on my car for free because it's good advertisement for them" but somehow photography (and some other fields too, like graphic design) has this stigma attached to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
I think it's similar to sound design in film and television. When it's done well, it's rather invisible.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I can at least fathom why people ask to use previously shot material for free. They have the impression that

1) the photo is already there, so it's not like you have to go out of your way to do any work for them
2) it's up on flickr next to 30,000 cellphone cat photos so it must not be worth anything

Given these two I'm at least not surprised that people believe they're doing you a favour by "putting your name out there" or "giving you credit".

I'm not saying I agree with this in any way, but I think that is probably what goes through people's heads.

Now people who ask you to come out and shoot photos for free? They're downright crazy.

Helmacron
Jun 3, 2005

looking down at the world
You just need a camera. And photoshop does a lot for you nowadays automatically. Photography isn't hard.

EDIT: ha ha ha. on that note a co-worker took a photo with my camera and it's REALLY good so I'm going to delete him from facebook and claim the photo as mine.

Danoss
Mar 8, 2011

A video showing a humourous look at how some people treat photographers. Demonstrating if some of the stunts they tried to pull were used in everyday situations.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2a8TRSgzZY

Apologies if this is not new here, it is a a couple of years old.

Sevn
Oct 13, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Casull posted:

I swear Eneloops are ridiculously good at keeping a charge; I bought a pair in 2008 while I was in Japan and they're still decent to this day.

Aside from the charge being awesome on them, they make my SB900 much quicker! At full power it took 4s to recharge, now it only takes 2s, that is a huge difference.

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010

Mannequin posted:

Harlan Ellison is right. Do you think the guy setting up the project is getting paid? What about the contractor? What about the real estate developer? What about the printing company who has to print the fliers and the web developer working on the town website? Everyone is getting paid but there's no budget for a tiny little photo? I think you have to be tough with these people. And if this person or company doesn't buy an image from me in the future because of my candid response on flickr there's a part of me that doesn't particularly care. They're assholes. But I also have faith that I can sell other images or get other jobs, and I don't need them anyway.

Your photos will always have a job in my heart :swoon:

Elite Taco fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Nov 13, 2011

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

Danoss posted:

A video showing a humourous look at how some people treat photographers. Demonstrating if some of the stunts they tried to pull were used in everyday situations.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2a8TRSgzZY

Apologies if this is not new here, it is a a couple of years old.

This is great :D I always imagine what it'd be like to do this to people.

I agree with the invisible-ness. I've heard a lot "you make it look so easy!" and people must end up thinking that it is easy. My favorite thing to do though, is to hand the camera over to someone who asks about how hard that can be under the guise of teaching them, the intense panic in their eyes is always worth it.

CarrotFlowers
Dec 17, 2010

Blerg.
I can also see how it would be easier for someone to ask for free photos if you're not actually doing it as your full time work. They figure "well, you're an engineer as your day job and this is your hobby, right? So let's book some photoshoots for free!" It's harder to use the argument of "well that's how I make my money" because it's not how I make my money right now, but it would be awesome to make the switch someday, and working for free doesn't really help that cause.

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!

CarrotFlowers posted:

I can also see how it would be easier for someone to ask for free photos if you're not actually doing it as your full time work. They figure "well, you're an engineer as your day job and this is your hobby, right? So let's book some photoshoots for free!" It's harder to use the argument of "well that's how I make my money" because it's not how I make my money right now, but it would be awesome to make the switch someday, and working for free doesn't really help that cause.

"Oh, I see you're a CEO but you make model train sets as a hobby. Why don't you come over and make me one for free."

Sevn
Oct 13, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

TheLastManStanding posted:

"Oh, I see you're a CEO but you make model train sets as a hobby. Why don't you come over and make me one for free."

Two better comparisons would be:

For money - "Oh, you're a mechanic? Well, my car has been having trouble lately, would you fixing it for me?"

For free - "Oh, I see that you are quite proficient with computers. Would you mind fixing mine for me?"

I have never been paid to fix computers, but I have done it for free more times than I can count. Never again.

CarrotFlowers
Dec 17, 2010

Blerg.

TheLastManStanding posted:

Yeah, it's brutal. I don't know why people figure it's any different.

Hot Cops
Apr 27, 2008

Mannequin posted:

Harlan Ellison is right. Do you think the guy setting up the project is getting paid? What about the contractor? What about the real estate developer? What about the printing company who has to print the fliers and the web developer working on the town website? Everyone is getting paid but there's no budget for a tiny little photo? I think you have to be tough with these people. And if this person or company doesn't buy an image from me in the future because of my candid response on flickr there's a part of me that doesn't particularly care. They're assholes. But I also have faith that I can sell other images or get other jobs, and I don't need them anyway.

I'm not saying that they're right by any means, but I'm consistently surprised with how many people I deal with really have no idea how photography pricing (or anything to do with photography) works - especially since Flickr would probably seem like a place for hobbyists to dump their photos to most people. Again, not saying they're right - but more often than not I've found that people are simply ignorant, not making an attempt to pull the wool over your eyes.

But suit yourself - all I was saying was that you never know when someone you've come into contact in the past is going to switch companies, maybe even to one with actual budgets. I'd much rather send someone a politely worded email declining use of my work / a job than send them a snarky note preaching about how valuable photographers are. The actual assholes that deserve a note like that won't care.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

CarrotFlowers posted:

Yeah, it's brutal. I don't know why people figure it's any different.
"All you do is click buttons"

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

Dr. Cogwerks posted:

I could probably toss one together sometime soon. It's not like I have a shameful addiction to old cameras or anything...
:colbert:

Hey man, make this thread already! :v:

Mathturbator
Oct 12, 2004
Funny original quote
A friend of mine works at Hasselblad. I got a private tour of the facilities and got to play around with their cameras and lenses, and their stuff makes my Canon seem like an outdated toy. They really put out an insane amount of detail. The user interface seems kind of rough though, guess that comes with being a specialized device.

To illustrate, they put up this to show how much detail you can get: Link

Trambopaline
Jul 25, 2010
While shooting today, I realised I could feel the mirror slap of my SLR, I had always thought it was completely blown out of proportion by people who wanted to feel extra special for owning a zillion dollar Leica. Thing is, now that I feel it, I can't un-feel it.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

InternetJunky posted:

"All you do is click buttons"

"wow your job looks great, I should be a photographer"

I'm really loving sick of creepy guys I know from high school coming out of the woodwork and asking creepy questions about my models.

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.

Mathturbator posted:

A friend of mine works at Hasselblad. I got a private tour of the facilities and got to play around with their cameras and lenses, and their stuff makes my Canon seem like an outdated toy. They really put out an insane amount of detail. The user interface seems kind of rough though, guess that comes with being a specialized device.

To illustrate, they put up this to show how much detail you can get: Link

My teacher spent the better part of a morning explaining EVERY BUTTON there is on a Hasselblad. It took him like half an hour to explain how you load a film in. :suicide:

Mathturbator
Oct 12, 2004
Funny original quote

Fragrag posted:

My teacher spent the better part of a morning explaining EVERY BUTTON there is on a Hasselblad. It took him like half an hour to explain how you load a film in. :suicide:
Oh these were digital devices. Not exactly intuitive stuff :)

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

I have been quietly blogging about photography and such - I didn't really want to toot my horn about it until I actually got some content up. Check it out at http://blog.smread.com - I try to tackle some topics that not many people cover and just try and give my thoughts on various issues.

Tincans
Dec 15, 2007

Fragrag posted:

You wouldn't believe the amount of times my fellow students came out with blank 120 film because they had forgotten to take out the dark-slide.

Also

:smithicide:

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Paragon8 posted:

I have been quietly blogging about photography and such - I didn't really want to toot my horn about it until I actually got some content up. Check it out at http://blog.smread.com - I try to tackle some topics that not many people cover and just try and give my thoughts on various issues.

It look interesting. I like that your articles go out on a limb and take a stance yet don't come off as know-it-all-ish.

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.

Tincans posted:

You wouldn't believe the amount of times my fellow students came out with blank 120 film because they had forgotten to take out the dark-slide.

I think they've made the Hasselblad more idiot-proof because you can't even take a picture anymore with the dark-slide still slotted in with ours.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

HPL posted:

It look interesting. I like that your articles go out on a limb and take a stance yet don't come off as know-it-all-ish.

Thanks, that's definitely what I'm trying to go for!

Ric
Nov 18, 2005

Apocalypse dude

Fragrag posted:

I think they've made the Hasselblad more idiot-proof because you can't even take a picture anymore with the dark-slide still slotted in with ours.
As far as I know, that has always been the case. It was probably misloaded.

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

Tincans posted:

Also

:smithicide:
I've never seen anyone not look absolutely stupid when trying to take a photo or video with an iPad. Saw someone the other day pull it out for a tourist shot in the middle of the street, don't they own anything smaller? Don't most people have cellular phones with cameras?

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

nonanone posted:

I've never seen anyone not look absolutely stupid when trying to take a photo or video with an iPad. Saw someone the other day pull it out for a tourist shot in the middle of the street, don't they own anything smaller? Don't most people have cellular phones with cameras?

I saw someone taking food shots with an iPad at a restaurant.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
I find it disorientating to use an ipad for photos because of the magnification of it. I just can't seem to get used to it.

RobattoJesus
Aug 13, 2002

nonanone posted:

Whenever anyone picks up my iPad and takes a photo of themselves the first sound I always hear is "ooofff" because it is the single most unflattering camera invented. With 1MP of much-worse-than-cam-phone-quality, blown up to nearly A4 or so it has the amazing ability to make even good looking people look like complete poo poo.

There is only one reason to photograph people with an iPad and that is that you hate them and want them to feel bad.

RobattoJesus
Aug 13, 2002

RobattoJesus posted:

Whenever anyone picks up my iPad and takes a photo of themselves the first sound I always hear is "ooofff" because it is the single most unflattering camera invented. With 1MP of much-worse-than-cam-phone-quality, blown up to nearly A4 or so it has the amazing ability to make even good looking people look like complete poo poo.

There is only one reason to photograph people with an iPad and that is that you hate them and want them to feel bad.

Since I posted this from my iPad and had my camera handy I thought I'd make a quick comparison shot from where I was sitting.

(iPad shot is at original 1:1 camera resolution)

If you're trying to make it look like your wedding snaps are CCTV stills from a bank-heist then I strongly recommend the iPad for all your wedding needs. I particularly like the way that the iPad makes my neck look so unappealing and dirty for that authentic felon look.

RobattoJesus fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Nov 15, 2011

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

PROUD 2 B AMERICAN (these colors don't run)

RobattoJesus posted:

Since I posted this from my iPad and had my camera handy I thought I'd make a quick comparison shot from where I was sitting.

(iPad shot is at original 1:1 camera resolution)

If you're trying to make it look like your wedding snaps are CCTV stills from a bank-heist then I strongly recommend the iPad for all your wedding needs. I particularly like the way that the iPad makes my neck look so unappealing and dirty for that authentic felon look.

Hahahahahah. Amazing

scottch
Oct 18, 2003
"It appears my wee-wee's been stricken with rigor mortis."
The back camera is a better camera, but it still looks like poo.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Ric posted:

As far as I know, that has always been the case. It was probably misloaded.

Sometimes on older A12 backs if the darkslide is out a tiny bit you can fire the camera.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

So I was supposed to shoot with an aspiring model today. She contact me first, because she needed to build up her portfolio. Since I could always use the practice and am trying to go pro with this, I agreed. We met yesterday for coffee to sketch out where and what we'd shoot, what times, looks, themes, etc. She wanted to shoot in vintage clothes in some abandoned buildings. At no point did we discuss money, which is probably my fault.

Today she calls an hour before the shoot and wants to know how much I'm going to pay her. I said I would get her lunch and gas, because it was a trade shoot. She doesn't know what that is, but she thinks I should be paying her like a hundred bucks for 3 hours of shooting. What the gently caress? I get that she's skinny, blonde and attractive, but you don't get to demand money when you've never modeled before and your 'portfolio' is a handful of self-portraits taken on your iphone with instagram filters. Especially considering that she contacted me to shoot her concept, shouldn't she be paying me?

Two weeks ago, I was contacted by another model who wanted headshots, and even offered to pay me, great. We met up to plan, and she wanted me to walk her through where and how I'd be shooting her. So we walked over to a nearby park, then a back alley with some neat graffiti, and I showed her how I was going to pose and frame her up. I don't hear from her again. I tracked her down on facebook, and it turns out she got her boyfriend to shoot the EXACT same photos with their lovely p&s and are passing it off as professional headshots.

I'm mostly just venting because this girl ruined my day, but how do you guys deal with this stuff?

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
I don't talk about specific shots, more about concepts and what kind of feel or mood the photos are trying to capture because that's what drives wardrobe selection, hair, makeup, lighting etc.

Drewski
Apr 15, 2005

Good thing Vader didn't touch my bike. Good thing for him.

red19fire posted:

Two weeks ago, I was contacted by another model who wanted headshots, and even offered to pay me, great. We met up to plan, and she wanted me to walk her through where and how I'd be shooting her. So we walked over to a nearby park, then a back alley with some neat graffiti, and I showed her how I was going to pose and frame her up. I don't hear from her again. I tracked her down on facebook, and it turns out she got her boyfriend to shoot the EXACT same photos with their lovely p&s and are passing it off as professional headshots.

I'm mostly just venting because this girl ruined my day, but how do you guys deal with this stuff?

If they offer to pay, maybe get a deposit before discussing the shots :/

That really sucks man.

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

Yeah that kind of situation really sucks. It happens with everyone though, sometimes companies will pull that kind of poo poo too. I think the best thing is just to remember that even if you go through 4 terrible situations, it's in the name of getting that one that just works out perfect. And eventually you'll build up a network of reliable contacts too.

Speaking of, is anybody in NYC interested in assisting for some fashion poo poo [most likely] this Saturday? You'll get tons of exposure! (just kidding) It's a test, so no one gets paid or exposure, but I don't mind showing someone the ropes/getting portfolio shots in exchange for someone to help me out with equipment and standing around with reflectors. You can PM me if you're interested.

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010
Man, I wish I was around :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

nonanone posted:

Speaking of, is anybody in NYC interested in assisting for some fashion poo poo [most likely] this Saturday? You'll get tons of exposure! (just kidding) It's a test, so no one gets paid or exposure, but I don't mind showing someone the ropes/getting portfolio shots in exchange for someone to help me out with equipment and standing around with reflectors. You can PM me if you're interested.

I had a photographer offer me an assisting credit in exchange for assisting once. Lol.