Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Scientastic posted:

I know I'm late to comment, but this is a myth. Drinking alone is perfectly fine. A good glass of wine at the end of a hard day of work is one of the greatest pleasures imaginable, and it doesn't matter if you're alone.

It's fairly subjective, I think. I don't particularly like the taste of wine, and only enjoy the sensation of being drunk when I'm chatting with friends and stuff. If I'm alone, alcohol just makes me feel tired and slow-witted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.

Jose posted:

A meat cleaver. I looked at santoku knives but he's definitely after a meat cleaver

F. Dick makes a nice one. I think mine weighs in at around 2 1/2 lbs. If you want to go nuts, get him the double edged one from here: http://www.dick.de/en/tools-for-chefs-and-butchers/knives-and-ancillary-items-for-butchers/ancillary-items-for-butchers/cleavers/

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
A couple of weeks back I roasted a head of garlic, mashed it up and mixed it into butter. It's been in the fridge and yesterday the power went out for about 15 hours. My question is, do I fry eggs in it or am I going to die of botulism poisoning?

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Kenning posted:

Eeeeeeeeeeh we had a really long cast-iron pan thread pre-peas. You could or not, but there's not all that much to say about it after. Feel free to make it though.

That's what I figured, and why I asked.

Here's the end result:

I had to resort to cooking off the carbon buildup on the pan using a propane burner. There was more than I expected.

:stare:

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

angor posted:

A couple of weeks back I roasted a head of garlic, mashed it up and mixed it into butter. It's been in the fridge and yesterday the power went out for about 15 hours. My question is, do I fry eggs in it or am I going to die of botulism poisoning?

I wouldn't eat it, it would be a bit dodgy even if you hadn't had a power cut yesterday. That's not to say you will get food poisoning from it, just that the risk is higher than I'd say is sensible.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:
Even if you got food poisoning, it wouldn't be botulism.

ItalicSquirrels
Feb 15, 2007

What?
Picked up a rather fat-heavy package of bacon and thought I remembered a recipe for roast chicken with bacon tied onto it. I can't find it now, but would salt/pepper/garlic powder underneath a couple strips of bacon tied on with string be a reasonable thing? Or would it just end up tasting bad?

I plan on putting diced onions, carrots, and celery in the roaster on the bottom if it makes a difference.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
I think personally I would rather have a roasted chicken basted with bacon drippings than one wrapped in bacon. remember that you get crispy bacon, but then you dont get crispy chicken skin. I've done it a couple times with chicken just messing around but the self-bacon baste is pretty useful on huge poo poo like trying to roast a turkey without drying it out. also you don't need to tie it, the bacon will stick to the chicken well enough raw and as it cooks it shrinks down and sticks even better.

Yehudis Basya
Jul 27, 2006

THE BEST HEADMISTRESS EVER
I found dried chilis at the store, for the first time! They were anchos and de arbols. These will take the place of chili powder in a big vat of beef chili, right? How do I (in depth!) go about using them for this purpose- just stick em in, chop em up, or soak in water for a while?

Also, I want to make a ton of chili so I can freeze the leftovers. Just do it in a bunch of tupperwares that approximate portion size, or in one big tupperware?

Bellabel
Jan 5, 2010

Dead finks don't talk too well; they've got a shaky sense of diction

Yehudis Basya posted:

Just do it in a bunch of tupperwares that approximate portion size, or in one big tupperware?

I think multiple containers would be better so you wouldn't have to thaw the entire yield every time you want a serving.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

I made chantarelle mushrooms again this weekend, and I find that they're a bitch to clean/de-grit:

If I wash them with hot water they get kind of soggy, and I don't get the nice browning effect when I sautée them afterwards. If I don't wash them, well, it's gritty.

In short, how do you get rid of the sand without making them all soft and soggy?

Psychobabble
Jan 17, 2006

Junior G-man posted:

I made chantarelle mushrooms again this weekend, and I find that they're a bitch to clean/de-grit:

If I wash them with hot water they get kind of soggy, and I don't get the nice browning effect when I sautée them afterwards. If I don't wash them, well, it's gritty.

In short, how do you get rid of the sand without making them all soft and soggy?

Wash them in cold water, change it enough times until they are clean then squeeze them gently and lay them on towels to dry.

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

you can't take the sky from me
I have a thing of baby portabello mushrooms and a sweet onion. Best way to cook them for maximum deliciousness?

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

I'd say simply dice the onion fine, clean off the mushrooms and sautée both over medium heat with butter, some thyme sprigs and a smashed clove of garlic or two.

For extra delicious, put them on a piece of toast, sprinkle over a little parsley and good olive oil and top with a poached egg.

Randomity
Feb 25, 2007

Careful what you wish,
You may regret it!

Crusty Nutsack posted:

CI's brown butter recipe is my new go-to. They started with the Tollhouse recipe but made it better.

Made these today, they rule, thanks!

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004

Crusty Nutsack posted:

CI's brown butter recipe is my new go-to. They started with the Tollhouse recipe but made it better.

Makes 16 cookies

Avoid using a nonstick skillet to brown the butter; the dark color of the nonstick coating makes it difficult to gauge when the butter is browned. Use fresh, moist brown sugar instead of hardened brown sugar, which will make the cookies dry. This recipe works with light brown sugar, but the cookies will be less full-flavored. For our winning brand of chocolate chips, see related tasting.
Ingredients

1 3/4cups unbleached all-purpose flour (8 3/4 ounces)
1/2teaspoon baking soda
14tablespoons unsalted butter (1 3/4 sticks)
1/2cup granulated sugar (3 1/2 ounces)
3/4cups packed dark brown sugar (5 1/4 ounces) (see note)
1teaspoon table salt
2teaspoons vanilla extract
1large egg
1 large egg yolk
1 1/4cups semisweet chocolate chips or chunks (see note)
3/4cup chopped pecans or walnuts, toasted (optional)

Instructions

1. Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 375 degrees. Line 2 large (18- by 12-inch) baking sheets with parchment paper. Whisk flour and baking soda together in medium bowl; set aside.

2. Heat 10 tablespoons butter in 10-inch skillet over medium-high heat until melted, about 2 minutes. Continue cooking, swirling pan constantly until butter is dark golden brown and has nutty aroma, 1 to 3 minutes. Remove skillet from heat and, using heatproof spatula, transfer browned butter to large heatproof bowl. Stir remaining 4 tablespoons butter into hot butter until completely melted.

3. Add both sugars, salt, and vanilla to bowl with butter and whisk until fully incorporated. Add egg and yolk and whisk until mixture is smooth with no sugar lumps remaining, about 30 seconds. Let mixture stand 3 minutes, then whisk for 30 seconds. Repeat process of resting and whisking 2 more times until mixture is thick, smooth, and shiny. Using rubber spatula or wooden spoon, stir in flour mixture until just combined, about 1 minute. Stir in chocolate chips and nuts (if using), giving dough final stir to ensure no flour pockets remain.

4. Divide dough into 16 portions, each about 3 tablespoons (or use #24 cookie scoop). Arrange 2 inches apart on prepared baking sheets, 8 dough balls per sheet. (Smaller baking sheets can be used, but will require 3 batches.)

5. Bake cookies 1 tray at a time until cookies are golden brown and still puffy, and edges have begun to set but centers are still soft, 10 to 14 minutes, rotating baking sheet halfway through baking. Transfer baking sheet to wire rack; cool cookies completely before serving.

That's a bit more work compared to to the Joy of Cooking cookies which are my go-to... I'll give it a shot, though.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

ashgromnies posted:

That's a bit more work compared to to the Joy of Cooking cookies which are my go-to... I'll give it a shot, though.

It's actually not a of work at all, just a lot of words. That's what CI's known for, really. All it is is brown the butter, cream with sugars and eggs (some waiting time in between, but that's a good time to get your pans ready and clean the kitchen), mix in dry ingredients. That's really all it is.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Yehudis Basya posted:

I found dried chilis at the store, for the first time! They were anchos and de arbols. These will take the place of chili powder in a big vat of beef chili, right? How do I (in depth!) go about using them for this purpose- just stick em in, chop em up, or soak in water for a while?

Also, I want to make a ton of chili so I can freeze the leftovers. Just do it in a bunch of tupperwares that approximate portion size, or in one big tupperware?

Cool it down and freeze it in plastic bags, they'll freeze flat/in whatever shape you cram them into your freezer, and also be the portion size you want. You don't want to thaw/freeze this more than once.

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.

Hawkgirl posted:

I'd love some ideas too, but the first thing that comes to mind is bruschetta. Also, bacon wrapped X (where X is uh pretty much anything, let's be honest here). Also, what's wrong with a cheese plate? I used to live near this awesome cheese shop and the people there just adored assembling gourmet cheese platters for parties. They were the kind of awesome people where I could walk in with a bottle of wine, show it to them, and get five different cheese samples with comments on how each would pair with the wine. Find a place like that and never make hors d'oeuvres again. :)

Nothing wrong with cheese platters, I was just looking for something a little more meaty with more variety in flavours.

pile of brown posted:

what kind of cheese? and is this for a pre-meal appetizer or just a walk around and munch on things type situation?

Any kind of cheese. I've never met a cheese I didn't like. Pre-meal appetizer, and, actually just for myself :)

plaindot
Dec 26, 2005
awesome
I need good pastry cream recipe, the ones i've had tend to have this weird aftertaste... any ideas?

Randomity
Feb 25, 2007

Careful what you wish,
You may regret it!

Crusty Nutsack posted:

It's actually not a of work at all, just a lot of words. That's what CI's known for, really. All it is is brown the butter, cream with sugars and eggs (some waiting time in between, but that's a good time to get your pans ready and clean the kitchen), mix in dry ingredients. That's really all it is.

Yeah, I actually found it easier than a standard cookie recipe, probably because I don't have a mixer and this recipe is done by hand.

*Tip for people who aren't familiar with browning butter: it's just the solids that get visibly browner, not the whole thing. Don't let it burn waiting for everything to brown! This was my first time browning butter and I almost made that mistake. Might also be because my nose is chronically stuffy and I couldn't smell it.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

plaindot posted:

I need good pastry cream recipe, the ones i've had tend to have this weird aftertaste... any ideas?

quote:

Orange Pastry Cream

1 1/2 cups heavy cream
1/2 cup sugar
2 large eggs, plus an extra yolk
2tbs flour
2tsp vanilla extract
Zest of 1 orange

In a sauce pan over medium heat, bring the cream to a slight simmer, removing from heat when bubbles start to form around the edges. You don’t want to boil you cream, just heat it.

In a separate bowl, whisk the sugar, eggs and yolk, and flour until well combined and slightly frothy.

While continuing to whisk the egg mixture, add the cream about 1 tbs at a time. This is called tempering and basically, it’s a way to avoid turning your pastry cream into scrambled eggs. Once your have added about half the cream a tbs at a time, pour the rest in slowly and whisk until well combined.

Return the pastry cream to the stove and stir over medium/high heat until it comes to a rapid simmer. Continue to whisk until thickened, between 5 and 10 minutes. The cream should leave a track when you drag the whisk through it.

Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla and orange zest. This needs to cool before putting into a piping bag, a cake or your mouth. Pour into a bowl and cover with plastic wrap, pressing it to the surface of the cream.

Just take out the orange zest and you have a regular pastry cream. Also, pass it through a strainer if you want a finer texture.

Otm Shank
Mar 5, 2005
Mir raucht den Kopf!!!
What are some yummy squashes that aren't as sweet as butternut? I roasted butternut that I had tossed in olive oil, salt, and pepper (no sugar or anything); at first it was delicious but then it somehow became sweet to the point of being gross...

Grushenka
Jan 4, 2009
I noticed this morning that I'd left my refrigerator door slightly open overnight, as in it wasn't sealed but it was definitely not ajar. I'm assuming I'll have to toss stuff, right? I had some vacuum sealed bacon, some vacuumed sealed (I think) Spanish ham, and some tofu that comes in the sealed packets with water--would those all still be okay, or do I need to toss them? They still felt cold to the touch.

Emnity
Sep 24, 2009

King of Scotland
Looking for a little help from those with a little more cullinary flair. Since leaving the forces and becoming a Civil Engineer I've piled on the pounds.. Add to this long working hours and a newborn son and preparing reasonably easy meals in the evenings that arent overly-run with carbs is becoming difficult.

The wife and I dabble with salads but neither of us are really sold on the idea, we always want to add some pasta or other such item to make them more interesting. Does anyone have any suitable solutions out there for something practical, tasty and not overladen with carbs? We normally dont get to eat until 7pm so trying to cut the carbs out for that reason.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Grushenka posted:

I noticed this morning that I'd left my refrigerator door slightly open overnight, as in it wasn't sealed but it was definitely not ajar. I'm assuming I'll have to toss stuff, right? I had some vacuum sealed bacon, some vacuumed sealed (I think) Spanish ham, and some tofu that comes in the sealed packets with water--would those all still be okay, or do I need to toss them? They still felt cold to the touch.

Anything sealed should be fine, the tofu should last a while anyways, and both the ham and bacon are cured, so they take a while to go off as well. The things that are most at risk are things that are already opened, especially dairy products and fresh meat and fish. Even then, given it was only 8-10 hours in a half cool fridge, you might well find that all of the stuff is okay.

Grushenka
Jan 4, 2009
Thanks. I just bought butter, and I guess it will have to go. It was a tad soft to the touch. Not gonna risk it I guess.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
It's okay if it's just soft, you should be able to tell it if it's turned rancid (it turns a sort of browny color). The reason I told the other guy to chuck his, was because it was two weeks old and had already been squidged into cooked garlic before being rechilled.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Grushenka posted:

Thanks. I just bought butter, and I guess it will have to go. It was a tad soft to the touch. Not gonna risk it I guess.

There's a line between a good sense of food safety and paranoia, and I think you may be on the edge of trangressing it. Soft butter is perfectly normal, butter even keeps for days and days at room temp. I always have some out for sandwiches and cookery and it's never made me ill.

When in doubt do a smell test; your nose will tell you whether or not it's fine like 90% of the time.

Grushenka
Jan 4, 2009
Okay! Thank you both for the advice, when I get home I'll check it again. It was pretty early this morning and I was more angry with myself than I was thinking about what could be salvaged. :)

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Butter doesn't really go bad from bacterial contamination or anything. Butter goes rancid from exposure to sunlight and oxygen. Using something like a butter crock, which excludes both, you can keep butter for at least a month at room temperature, longer if salted.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime

Gerblyn posted:

Maybe it would be a better idea to put it into the GWS wiki instead, then?

In case you were serious:

http://goonswithspoons.com/Seasoning_Cast_Iron

A thread is not a bad idea.. I'm sure the last one got quite a few people into it who wouldn't have otherwise.

squigadoo
Mar 25, 2011

Cyril Sneer posted:

Nothing wrong with cheese platters, I was just looking for something a little more meaty with more variety in flavours.

Baked brie is awesome, although not meaty. An interesting rig I saw for one once was it was baked in a cast iron skillet, and kept hot on the table by putting it over a candle. Love it with raspberry jam and almond slices.

Question: Is cooking with dried milk a bad idea? I don't drink milk often, but then I get a craving for pancakes/biscuits/scones/whatever and don't have milk available. Or, maybe condensed milk substitutions?

Also, I would love baking suggestions for holiday gifting. I'm baking gifts for people instead of buying. I know what to do for cookies, but am at a loss for loaf/cake things. Am also going to buy those paper bakeware for ease.

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration

Kenning posted:

Butter doesn't really go bad from bacterial contamination or anything. Butter goes rancid from exposure to sunlight and oxygen. Using something like a butter crock, which excludes both, you can keep butter for at least a month at room temperature, longer if salted.

I remember my Grandma always keeping butter on the counter, in a glass dish like this:

I never saw butter in the fridge at either of my Grandma's house. Not implying that it's necessarily safe, but it's probably not that big of a threat.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

My dad also always has a stick of butter out for bread purposes. It's fine. Butter lasts a while, that was part of the reason people started making it. Like cheese or bacon or any number of other things.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
They sell water crocks for leaving butter out at room temp if you want to do it. You do have to clean them out and keep water in them but they work.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

I didn't know that there were people out there in the civilized world without butter crocks.

What a sad life :psyduck:

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
Unsalted butter will go rancid a lot faster than salted butter. If you plan on keeping it out, just keep that in mind.

Yes, I binned the garlic butter. The only reason I gave it a second thought initially was because there was no other butter in the house, I wanted fried eggs and I was hungover as hell. Had an egg salad sandwich instead.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Kenning posted:

Same with a chilly glass of stout or nip of bourbon.

I think you mean room temperature.

:britain:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bellabel
Jan 5, 2010

Dead finks don't talk too well; they've got a shaky sense of diction

Emnity posted:

Looking for a little help from those with a little more cullinary flair. Since leaving the forces and becoming a Civil Engineer I've piled on the pounds.. Add to this long working hours and a newborn son and preparing reasonably easy meals in the evenings that arent overly-run with carbs is becoming difficult.

The wife and I dabble with salads but neither of us are really sold on the idea, we always want to add some pasta or other such item to make them more interesting. Does anyone have any suitable solutions out there for something practical, tasty and not overladen with carbs? We normally dont get to eat until 7pm so trying to cut the carbs out for that reason.

This blog here has a nice article on (lower carb) salad possibilities.

Another blog I like is Kalyn's Kitchen. The recipes are healthy and interesting even if you aren't doing South Beach (I'm not.) The meals lowest in carb content are "phase one" which is a South Beach thing I'm assuming.