Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...

MacGyvers_Mullet posted:

I think the best course of action for Battlefield would be to clip the mic to your cat.
Considering my current success during matches with me talking into a mic, it probably would be a massive improvement.

On that note, I pretty much came to a startling surprise this past month. Other than the odd dabbling and a short stint with TF2, I mostly avoided competitive multiplayer shooters altogether because I felt they were way more of a time investment then I wanted to bother with and my past experiences teetered between boredom, bewilderment (because most of them give you almost no instruction and assumed you've been playing them all the time) and frustration.

I decided that I should give it the old college try instead of just insisting it that it was just unfair because of the hardcore crowd and wasn't "for me", so I pre-ordered both Battlefield 3 and Modern Warfare 3, since I assumed the best case scenario was getting in on release when the biggest amount of similar newbies would be available. Everyone told me that the former would be way too confusing and punishing but the latter would be more accessible.

However, I have found the complete opposite is true. While both have been a trial by fire, BF3's way of offering different kits based on what I felt like doing, allowing me to choose my spawn point, and rewarding me for things like spotting and assisting others have made me feel better about my lovely ranking while I learn the maps and the proper way to play each mode. Meanwhile, MW3 has been a constant onslaught of incidents that basically scream "gently caress you for trying" to me. My first three play sessions involved me being shot the instant I spawned and/or being killed by a bomb being dropped on me or something equally ludicrous so my KTD ratio was 0/6 before I even got the chance to turn a corner.

I prefer the Rush mode in BF3 though so it sounds like I should give Bad Company 3 a chance should it ever exist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

kuddles posted:

Considering my current success during matches with me talking into a mic, it probably would be a massive improvement.

On that note, I pretty much came to a startling surprise this past month. Other than the odd dabbling and a short stint with TF2, I mostly avoided competitive multiplayer shooters altogether because I felt they were way more of a time investment then I wanted to bother with and my past experiences teetered between boredom, bewilderment (because most of them give you almost no instruction and assumed you've been playing them all the time) and frustration.

I decided that I should give it the old college try instead of just insisting it that it was just unfair because of the hardcore crowd and wasn't "for me", so I pre-ordered both Battlefield 3 and Modern Warfare 3, since I assumed the best case scenario was getting in on release when the biggest amount of similar newbies would be available. Everyone told me that the former would be way too confusing and punishing but the latter would be more accessible.

However, I have found the complete opposite is true. While both have been a trial by fire, BF3's way of offering different kits based on what I felt like doing, allowing me to choose my spawn point, and rewarding me for things like spotting and assisting others have made me feel better about my lovely ranking while I learn the maps and the proper way to play each mode. Meanwhile, MW3 has been a constant onslaught of incidents that basically scream "gently caress you for trying" to me. My first three play sessions involved me being shot the instant I spawned and/or being killed by a bomb being dropped on me or something equally ludicrous so my KTD ratio was 0/6 before I even got the chance to turn a corner.

I prefer the Rush mode in BF3 though so it sounds like I should give Bad Company 3 a chance should it ever exist.

You might really like assault mode when BTK comes out for BF3. It's sort of a split between Rush and Conquest. The map is set up like conquest but one team had no incap spawn and starts with control of every flag. The other team has to try and drive the defenders off of every flag but unlike Rush mode there are 5-10 flags you can go for at any time.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Siochain posted:

Corsair Graphite 600T
Corsair Carbide 500R
Thermaltake Chaser Mk. 1
Thermaltake Level 10 GT
Fractal Design R3
Fractal Design XL

I build PC's for a living, and those are my current favorites hahah. Bang for the buck the 500R or the Fractal R3 are awesome, but the others are fantastic if you need what they have. The Thermaltake Chaser looks a little nerdy, but I'll be damned if it isn't laid out extremely well and have excellent air flow. And its quiet. I'm looking to upgrade my old case (Antec 300, piece of poo poo but I got it cheap hahah) and its either the Chaser or the 500R that I'm waffling between.

That Thermaltake Level 10 looks hideous and costs £200. I won't argue with you about the R3, that's awesome and not absurdly overpriced.

Bowmore, the parts picking thread has a bunch of case recommendations to suit whatever budget you might be on, probably best to look there.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Pierson posted:

Does anyone know of games that do useful things with a dual-monitor setup? I don't just mean stretching a picture across both screens, I mean actual stuff like gameplay on one screen and stats/maps or whatever on the other? Supreme Commander 2 does this and it's pretty loving cool, any others?

World in Conflict can put a map on your second screen. I dunno how popular multi-monitor setups are these days (does/can Valve collect that info in their Steam surveys?), but I wish more games would do stuff like that.

Brace
May 29, 2010

by Ozmaugh
So is there any way I can grab a US Skyrim key for cheaper than the price on Steam? Intkeys has it for 30, but they're russian keys.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Ive noticed a couple games with HD 4870s as the minimum. Would my HD 4850 work if overclocked, or is the 70 different enough that it's not just a slightly faster 50?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

bowmore posted:

Nevermind

So does anyone have any case reccomendations? I need a new case as mine is broken.

I really really really want one of those Fractal Define R3s

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811352016

Lots of space and good design.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Fil5000 posted:

That Thermaltake Level 10 looks hideous and costs £200. I won't argue with you about the R3, that's awesome and not absurdly overpriced.

Bowmore, the parts picking thread has a bunch of case recommendations to suit whatever budget you might be on, probably best to look there.

Oh agreed on the Level 10, but I've had customers who loved it, and function-wise its a great case.
The rest aren't overpriced imo, there's a lot of cases in that price range that are (Antec cases, Coolermasters, etc), but those are great cases for the cash.

PM me for more info though, I'll be glad to help out!

Sir Liquid Jerk
Aug 10, 2002
I have Ham Armor +5!
I got one of these because the HAF 912 was sold out when I was building.

NZXT Source 210 Elite

It had all the features I wanted and comes with good stock cooling, it has a very modest and plain exterior but that is a plus for me anyways. Best feature is it's $50.

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.
I am playing through Chrono Trigger again. It, too, is going faster than I remember. Even without the speedup stuff.

We truly were dumber when we were kids.

-B l a z e i n g-
May 11, 2010
Did that rumor about Windows 8 being able to play 360 games ever get shot down? That'd be awesome because I dont want to pay 400 bucks to play Gears 3 & Halo 4

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

blazeing w hitler posted:

Did that rumor about Windows 8 being able to play 360 games ever get shot down? That'd be awesome because I dont want to pay 400 bucks to play Gears 3 & Halo 4

It's unlikely, since it'd basically have to be an emulator, thanks to the way that console games are optimized at a hardware level.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Not officially because it's such a stupid rumor that MS didn't even deign responding to it. Everyone with common sense shot it down immediately.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

What they're really doing is adding some XBox Live stuff to Windows 8. Track your gamerscore, maybe do some cross-platform chat?

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS
In other words, still far inferior to Steam.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
They're going to be using the "Xbox" brand for everything game-related and "Windows 8" for everything else(that I know of) so yeah I'd expect a lot of integration between platforms. I heard that XNA won't be able to make Metro-style apps, so I hope for indie devs' sake they release some other platform for developing games across PC, Windows 8 phones, and the Xbox that will work with the metro stuff.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

I doubt it. I think what MS means is they are rebranding the Windows Live for Gaming stuff to XBox Live.

XBoxes aren't that expensive anymore, heck the 4GB is under AUS$200 these days.

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.
IF they're going to do it, they would be better off coming up with some other name that is not attached to Windows or XBOX specifically. Like Fusion or GameFusion or something. Like a new brand/app.

Then, it would just happen to include old "games for windows" titles and some XBOX integration. Those would be selling points. If you have a name like XBOX staring you in the face, it would seem weird to have other things involved in that application. They could have a storefront in there, or friends lists or whatever.

"Download Fusion today to buy and manage games and chat with your friends. Join games. See what your friends with XBOX live are doing" makes a lot more sense than "Download XBOX Live for your PC" to me.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

crestfallen posted:

IF they're going to do it, they would be better off coming up with some other name that is not attached to Windows or XBOX specifically. Like Fusion or GameFusion or something. Like a new brand/app.

Then, it would just happen to include old "games for windows" titles and some XBOX integration. Those would be selling points. If you have a name like XBOX staring you in the face, it would seem weird to have other things involved in that application. They could have a storefront in there, or friends lists or whatever.

"Download Fusion today to buy and manage games and chat with your friends. Join games. See what your friends with XBOX live are doing" makes a lot more sense than "Download XBOX Live for your PC" to me.

http://www.tested.com/news/xbox-live-coming-to-pc-with-windows-8/2452/ It seems like they just want to expand this brand. "XBOX" should mean "MEDIA" to people and not a specific concept/console line, according to Microsoft.

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

http://www.tested.com/news/xbox-live-coming-to-pc-with-windows-8/2452/ It seems like they just want to expand this brand. "XBOX" should mean "MEDIA" to people and not a specific concept/console line, according to Microsoft.

I don't see that happening, mostly because it's pretty deeply ingrained into myself and other people that when we hear Xbox, we think Xbox, and not media. I like the idea of rebranding it as a different name, maybe even something like Gaming Live, then you would have Xbox Live, GFWL, and who knows what else.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

You Am I posted:

I doubt it. I think what MS means is they are rebranding the Windows Live for Gaming stuff to XBox Live.

XBoxes aren't that expensive anymore, heck the 4GB is under AUS$200 these days.

Don't you really need a bigger hard drive though? Some games require installs, plus there's demos and stuff. Xbox hard drives are proprietary and expensive.

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Ive noticed a couple games with HD 4870s as the minimum. Would my HD 4850 work if overclocked, or is the 70 different enough that it's not just a slightly faster 50?

The difference is only in performance, the 4850 will run anything 4870 can.

Bobfromsales
Apr 2, 2010
How's the PC version of Skyrim?

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Bobfromsales posted:

How's the PC version of Skyrim?

There's complaints about the interface. People are making a really big deal over the issues with it. There's some functions that require keyboard input and overall it seems to be designed for a controller or a keyboard, but I have had no real issues using mouse + keyboard extensively(19 hours played now). The performance is the best Bethesda has ever done on the PC. Game runs better on this system than Oblivion does. It also doesn't look half bad, although don't expect crazy tessellation or ultra hi-res textures.

edit: For perspective, I'm running with all settings maxed on an Athlon II x4 640 at 3ghz or something like that, 4gb of ram, and a sapphire 1gb 6870 and this is what the game looks like, just imagine it's in motion with radial blur and stuff that makes it look a bit prettier:

Framerate is a bit dodgy in one of the towns but it's above 30 otherwise.

Fergus Mac Roich fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Nov 14, 2011

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

The interface is horseshit. Typical UI design conventions don't really apply here and the way it's setup isn't really condusive to using the mouse, which is by far much much faster than using the keyboard exclusively (imo). The UI isn't standardized in terms of how it flows in quitting out or exiting or accepting things, the skills menu is more flashy than it needs to be, there's no paperdoll or preview of your stats/character (:whoptc:) and there's no sorting options whatsoever. (it does some basic sorting but that's it)

I've played 22 hours and while it's usable, it's not very good and I'd pay extra if I had to just to have a complete overhaul to it.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Can't say that isn't expected. The UI was made for consoles and then quickly redone for PC. Just like Oblivion.

Bobfromsales
Apr 2, 2010
Yeah I thought after Oblivion they said "whoops sorry guys, will make sure there's a good pc interface with the next game!"

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

One dude on Twitter put it well:

quote:

Apparently the Skyrim UI is supposed to be like an iPod. Thing is, I've never had to kill a loving dragon with an iPod.

That said, it's bad but not dealbreaker bad, even though I'll be more than glad to install the first UI mod that comes out on the Nexus. The only thing I really hate is that it's unreliable about which response it highlights in dialogue, which has led me to a few unnecessary quickloads (fortunately loading times are really good).

Oh, and for those who missed it, 1-8 DO still work as hotkeys, you just need to set them from the Favourites menu. Weapons go to the right hand; spells go to your left hand, unless they're already there in which case you start doublecasting.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

It's also worth mentioning there have been some improvements on the UI, too. Like a favorites list you can easily bring up, sorting ingredients by effect and immediately knowing whether a weapon/piece of armor is better than the one you currently have equiped.

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

I'm completely out of touch when it comes to PC components now. I currently have a Radeon 4850. What's a good upgrade for that in the $150-200 price range? Preferably ATI again since I have an AMD proc, they seem to marry well.

Siroc
Oct 10, 2004

Ray, when someone asks you if you're a god, you say "YES"!

Orgophlax posted:

I'm completely out of touch when it comes to PC components now. I currently have a Radeon 4850. What's a good upgrade for that in the $150-200 price range? Preferably ATI again since I have an AMD proc, they seem to marry well.

ATI sub $200: The 6870.

Get more info here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3371605

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The biggest problem with Skyrim's interface is the lack of information, it's completely stupid that I can't see important information like, say, if I've been debuffed by an enemy caster, or how long my Resistance To Fire countdown is without going down three menu levels.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

I agree with everything here, but even with all the UI crap the game is still fantastic. It really is built around the 360 controller though.

Strong Female
Jul 27, 2010

I don't think you've been paying attention

GreenBuckanneer posted:

The interface is horseshit. Typical UI design conventions don't really apply here and the way it's setup isn't really condusive to using the mouse, which is by far much much faster than using the keyboard exclusively (imo). The UI isn't standardized in terms of how it flows in quitting out or exiting or accepting things, the skills menu is more flashy than it needs to be, there's no paperdoll or preview of your stats/character (:whoptc:) and there's no sorting options whatsoever. (it does some basic sorting but that's it)

I've played 22 hours and while it's usable, it's not very good and I'd pay extra if I had to just to have a complete overhaul to it.

The UI is completely consistent. And it's much faster using the keyboard than the mouse.

W/S move you up/down, S/D collapses or expands menus depending on what side of the screen they start on, E accepts things, TAB exits things, and for a couple really important things where you need a second confirmation (like crafting/enchanting/destroying items), you can use Y/N for yes/no.

-B l a z e i n g-
May 11, 2010
I liek the 360 sticks for Skyrim cause you can play at like 30fps without noticing the lag like you would a mouse. Same for Crysis 2, that games fun as gently caress with a gamepad and it feels like I'm getting a sneak peak at Xbox 5 or something

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Fag Boy Jim posted:

The biggest problem with Skyrim's interface is the lack of information, it's completely stupid that I can't see important information like, say, if I've been debuffed by an enemy caster, or how long my Resistance To Fire countdown is without going down three menu levels.

Yeah the one thing I really want is something showing buffs/debuffs in the main HUD.

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

It doesn't matter now, come on get happy

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Yeah the one thing I really want is something showing buffs/debuffs in the main HUD.

I like the way the inventory/spell menus work, but I agree, I'd like to see something a little more consolidated. I mean, there's only a handful of skills, so it would be immensely helpful to have one informational screen that shows your current skill levels, health/stamina/magika, encumbrance, gold, and active magic effects.

If modders add that and a screen that shows what my character looks like from within the inventory menu I'll be completely satisfied.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

MacGyvers_Mullet posted:

I like the way the inventory/spell menus work, but I agree, I'd like to see something a little more consolidated. I mean, there's only a handful of skills, so it would be immensely helpful to have one informational screen that shows your current skill levels, health/stamina/magika, encumbrance, gold, and active magic effects.

If modders add that and a screen that shows what my character looks like from within the inventory menu I'll be completely satisfied.

I was a little baffled as to why they removed the character preview from oblivion. Now to see how a piece of armor looks, you have to go to the menu, find it in a long-rear end unsortable list, put it on, back out, look at your character model, go back into the menu, find the next piece of equipment, etc... A lot of entirely unnecessary busywork.

Being able to see your current active buffs/debuffs on the main screen would be excellent as well. It's stupid that there's no way without going a few menu options deep to find out whether or not you've been affected by a debilitating spell.

Game's actually really good despite all of this, though. Bethesda managed to make an utterly fantastic game world.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
These all sound like problems that could be corrected by mods.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

zachol posted:

These all sound like problems that could be corrected by mods.

They also sound like problems that shouldn't exist in such a high-budget sequel to a popular game.

• Locked thread