Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sansuki
May 17, 2003

atomicthumbs posted:

what if bro turns out to be an ironic juggalo, in contrast to gamzee's devoted juggalo

would we be able to handle it

You shut the gently caress up right now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

atomicthumbs posted:

what if bro turns out to be an ironic juggalo, in contrast to gamzee's devoted juggalo

would we be able to handle it
Can you hear that? It's the sound of the horrific creative clockwork you may or may not have put into motion by simply mentioning this concept. The formative machine were never meant to churn in this matter, atomicthumbs! You are upsetting the delicate balance of reality itself and risking the ability of people everywhere to give a poo poo!

Hussie watches. He sees everything.

of bees
Dec 28, 2009

JT Jag posted:

Can you hear that? It's the sound of the horrific creative clockwork you may or may not have put into motion by simply mentioning this concept. The formative machine were never meant to churn in this matter, atomicthumbs! You are upsetting the delicate balance of reality itself and risking the ability of people everywhere to give a poo poo!

Hussie watches. He sees everything.

Hussie is already here?

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
The Hussie was actually inside us all all along!

...this is getting weird now.

Norton Ghostride
Apr 30, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I find myself completely unable to care about any of these new characters, and am having a horrible time slogging through the updates. :( I know this is exactly how some people felt with the trolls and that they'll grow on me, but drat.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Norton Ghostride posted:

I find myself completely unable to care about any of these new characters, and am having a horrible time slogging through the updates. :( I know this is exactly how some people felt with the trolls and that they'll grow on me, but drat.

They're not technically new, though. Think of it as a chance to see young Nanna, Grandpa, Mom and Bro. In an alternate universe. Where the kids we know are their ectobioloparents.

And also the universe is quite different and Earth is controlled by Feferi's Ancestor.

And maybe Jake is Lord English's adopted son. I hope he's not and his surname comes from Jade's dog that she ran away with. And his computer is Lord English shaped because Jake is a REALLY BIG FAN of The Time Travelling Demon.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

I'll agree that Jane seems a bit off. It's an artifact of the huge amount of backstory that's piled up in Homestuck so far, and Hussie using it for dramatic irony, but she just comes across as a bit... smug, I guess? Granted we've yet to see how she reacts when her worldview is challenged, as it presumably will be pretty soon. Doesn't help that Nanna got the least character detailling of the four pre-scratch ancestors (ironically despite being the only one to get dialogue). Jake's pretty fun though, and I'm eagerly anticipating alt-Mom and alt-Bro.

Either way, it's only been four days, so we've hardly had time to warm up yet.

e: on typing styles: Jake's quirk breaks down as:

* Capitalises the first word of sentences, but no others (so if "i" or "jane" or whatever appears in the middle of a sentence, it goes uncapitalised)
* Uses punctuation to end sentences, but nowhere else (i.e. no commas or apostrophes)
* *expresses actions by surrounding them with asterisks*
* Mixes old-fashioned terms with swearing.

For me it gives off a very "pulp action hero" vibe, fast-paced and staccato, with some ADHD added for good measure.

Jane's typing style is pretty much grammatically correct, but with more exclamations than, say, Rose. And more old-timeyness.

Paul.Power fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Nov 14, 2011

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

Jane is heiress to a multiglobal empire, so she's got license to smug it up a bit. I mean once you strip away the corporate aspects she's basically a space princess. Even then I don't really see where you get smug from. She's dealing with someone who claims to be sending a bunny to their antecedents via the past. It would be weird to me if she wasn't a bit incredulous about that.

She is a bit off though, cuz she apparently spaces out at the sight of the sky (maybe it's from being subliminally influenced by banner ads) and being outside is grounds for getting in trouble with Dad.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Oh poo poo! I just realized that there's a decent chance we'll get to see the troll ancestors as kids now.

Less than 20 updates in and this is already the best arc.

:dance:

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

readingatwork posted:

Oh poo poo! I just realized that there's a decent chance we'll get to see the troll ancestors as kids now.

No?

To the first part, not the second.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Mr. Pumroy posted:

She is a bit off though, cuz she apparently spaces out at the sight of the sky (maybe it's from being subliminally influenced by banner ads) and being outside is grounds for getting in trouble with Dad.

Maybe spacing out at the sky is related to some kind of suppressed memory of Skaia? Either from some kind of half-awake Prospit shenanigans, or leaking pre-scratch memories (Nanna did mention playing The Game in her youth somehow, so it seems likely that there's some memory leaking involved somewhere along the line.)

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

readingatwork posted:

Where are you getting that idea from? There's no reason that the Trolls' sessions would have any further relevance.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

Gabriel Pope posted:

Maybe spacing out at the sky is related to some kind of suppressed memory of Skaia? Either from some kind of half-awake Prospit shenanigans, or leaking pre-scratch memories (Nanna did mention playing The Game in her youth somehow, so it seems likely that there's some memory leaking involved somewhere along the line.)

Could be. She definitely seems to have some hint of prophecy when she talks to Jake about her dream. The Empress might be trying to suppress her dreamself with those STAY ASLEEP messages.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

He probably just illustrated Jane looking up at the sky (screen) for artistic impact, and then decided to explain that she literally did that, as a joke.

System Pelican
Sep 14, 2011

Gabriel Pope posted:

Wasn't all she said that John climbed his echeladder faster than she did in her youth? Because the echeladder could easily be part of their normal universe, just like the sylladex.

Lord of Laughton
Nov 11, 2008

It's hard to say for certain
But I think I like it here.
My god this thread is moving fast. 500 posts over the weekend. It's probably already been mentioned already, but I think it's pretty clear or at the very least possible that Jane and Jake are literally Nanna and Grandpa from the original kids' universe, and likely Mom and Bro too. Nanna mentions how John ascended the echeladder much faster than she did as a child. Also, when DD is looking at the monitors when he's about to create Bec, it isn't really specific what universe he is looking into.

I can't wait to see Mom. Gotta love those Lalondes. I also like that Bro will be typing in perfect punctuation and capitalization, just like Jane and Jake are well punctuated and capitalized if not with necessarily good grammar unlike John and Jade.

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?
Hussie really likes to invert storylines in 'reincarnations' of characters, so to speak. Nannasprite recounted that she was never really able to do anything against the Batterwitch up until the day that she just disappeared.

This plan seems too significant to go untouched, so I'll speculate that we'll be seeing more of the Condesce as an antagonist later on in this arc.

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

Spellman posted:

He probably just illustrated Jane looking up at the sky (screen) for artistic impact, and then decided to explain that she literally did that, as a joke.

That was my guess too. That said, I don't fault people anymore for reading into even the smallest details in Homestuck, especially considering how many little details have wound up significant.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

System Pelican posted:

Wasn't all she said that John climbed his echeladder faster than she did in her youth? Because the echeladder could easily be part of their normal universe, just like the sylladex.

I think there is evidence that the Trolls had Echeladders before they ever entered the game. Tavros picked his Boy Skylark class way back when he was playing FLARP, for example, and all the other interface stuff, like the Sylladex and Auto-Parries and poo poo was pre-medium too. And its not like people having insane powers are just a game thing. Dad had his incredible mangrit and Bro was cutting meteors in half and poo poo. It may be tied to the fact that they are players I guess? But no-one seemed to think echeladders were something out of the ordinary and Dad isn't any kind of paradox clone or anything as far as we know.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
You can add strife specibi and fetch modī to the list of ways in which life is arbitrarily and inconsistently like various kinds of videogames in the Homestuck multiverse. The line in question is almost certainly meant to be a contextually appropriate variation of the old "my, how you've grown!" that grandmothers everywhere are renowned for.

Cavatica
Nov 2, 2010

So does this mean that Bro has orange eyes?

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
So if I am reading the introductions of Jake and Jane correctly, it looks like it is hinting towards Jake being the Heir of Hope and Jane being the Maid of Life.

Semi-baseless speculation: this means that Bro and Mom are going to be Space and Time, though I dunno which will be which. I'd guess that one of them is probably a Knight too, since they seem to assist the Space player in the genesis frog process. I doubt either (especially Bro) is going to be the Knight of Time though, since we already have one, which leaves only a Knight of Space. I guess the Knight assisting in the genesis frog thing might just be a coincidence. Or I could be reading too much into this, it is homestuck after all.

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice
Page of Hope, not Heir. A lot of people are speculating that Mom and Bro will be Heart and Void, since those are the other aspects that no living character has right now.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Since supposedly every session "needs" Space and Time, it would be kind of funny that the Jane/Jake/Bro/Mom session literally depends upon the kids crashing the party and adding their own planets back into the mix to make the "real" session. Like as if Jane/Jake/Bro/Mom's session knew that would happen and thus didn't need to make these new kids have a Space or Time player. I wonder what they would need two battlefields for though.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

creationist believer posted:

Page of Hope, not Heir. A lot of people are speculating that Mom and Bro will be Heart and Void, since those are the other aspects that no living character has right now.

And Doom. Sollux is dead.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Hanks Lust Cafe posted:

And Doom. Sollux is dead.

Half-dead.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Since Davesprite's alive on the kids' battlefield, is it possible any Prospit or Derse soldiers somehow survived? There's no one we know by name left down there but it'd be funny to see a carapace person meet their doppleganger in a different session.

H.P. Shivcraft
Mar 17, 2008

STAY UNRULY, YOU HEARTLESS MONSTERS!

President Ark posted:

Half-dead.

Which means we only need a Hero of Do or a Hero of om.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

President Ark posted:

Half-dead.

Counting the deaths:

Waking self: killed by Vast Glub on Alternia.

Prospit dream self: slept in Prospit when it was destroyed.

Derse dream self: Awoke on Derse after Feferi's gross kiss, joined the rest of the trolls and promptly dressed in his old clothes, was blinded by science, strongly implied to have died, the cause of which is now almost certainly psychic exertion from transporting the trolls to the Green Sun.

His having his "foot out the door" and being able to step outside the dream bubble was probably a result of his Derse dreamer still being alive, which, as of [S] Cascade, is not anymore. By the time the Troll Meteor arrives at the Green Sun, I think Sollux will be pretty much out of lives.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Nate RFB posted:

Since supposedly every session "needs" Space and Time, it would be kind of funny that the Jane/Jake/Bro/Mom session literally depends upon the kids crashing the party and adding their own planets back into the mix to make the "real" session. Like as if Jane/Jake/Bro/Mom's session knew that would happen and thus didn't need to make these new kids have a Space or Time player. I wonder what they would need two battlefields for though.

Judging from Jake's frog temple, it seems to know that there will be 8 players. The temple looks to have 8 pillars to correspond to this.

Boneless Jogger
Apr 20, 2010

KoB posted:

Judging from Jake's frog temple, it seems to know that there will be 8 players. The temple looks to have 8 pillars to correspond to this.

I'm fully expecting another "MOBIUS DOUBLE REACH AROUND" panel somewhere down the line.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
And as for how the surviving trolls fit into all this, there's a good chance they become exiles. God, Karkat as an exile yelling commands at John...

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Nate RFB posted:

And as for how the surviving trolls fit into all this, there's a good chance they become exiles. God, Karkat as an exile yelling commands at John...
Only agents of the two kingdoms are permitted to become exiles, as far as I'm aware. I think the entire plan is that the kids and the surviving trolls were supposed to all enter a single reality together, probably this one.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

JT Jag posted:

Only agents of the two kingdoms are permitted to become exiles, as far as I'm aware. I think the entire plan is that the kids and the surviving trolls were supposed to all enter a single reality together, probably this one.

I was thinking more along the lines of "Trolls hijack exile terminals until session is completed, then go into new universe with new+old kids".

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

President Ark posted:

Half-dead.

Looks like a job for Miracle Max!

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I'm inclined to guess that Sollux will die propelling the lab to the green sun (that much is basically confirmed) but once they get there the "half-dead" Sollux that's hanging around with Aradia will just join the rest of the group like it's no big deal.

Mainly, because a troll group that consists of Karkat, Gamzee, Terezi, Kanaya, and Aradia feels imbalanced. Casts come in even numbers! We all remember what happened when the White King tried to break the even-number rule!

More seriously though, I'm not sure if Aradia's going to go with them. She's been an outsider this whole time, it'd be weird for her to fall in behind Karkat now. I'd guess she goes off to pursue more mystery objectives while Sollux rejoins the others and the troll group basically becomes Karkat and those closest to him (Moirail, Matesprit, and best friends) in a slight echo of the Sufferer's posse.

Dolash fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Nov 14, 2011

Pleasant Friend
Dec 30, 2008

Dolash posted:

I'm not really sure what you mean? Are you saying Sollux will still stay with Karkat and crew? I think the only reason Sollux can exit the dreambubbles though is because he was half dead, and once they get there he'll be full dead, so he probably won't be able to leave the dreambubbles anymore.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I think it makes sense for Aradia to remain behind with the dreambubbles. It has seemed thus far that her role is to help those along in that area, whether it's the deceased/dreamers or living folks who happen to show up there like the living trolls and Dave/Rose.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

It occurs to me that with his new Timelord God Tier status Aradia might start tutoring Dave in the art of dicking around in dream bubbles with impunity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TOAST7312
Oct 18, 2010

AT: uHHH, nO DAD NO!

Regy Rusty posted:

Where are you getting that idea from? There's no reason that the Trolls' sessions would have any further relevance.

Except for all the hints, you know.

Multiglobal empire. Here.

Last time I checked, Betty Crocker or no, the Trolls were the only one in this comic with a multi-global empire prior to the scratch.

"you are the only of your kind invited to playtest(it)!"? Also here.

If this isn't a clear indication of non-humans present on Earth, I don't know what is.

This is of course not counting the 2X3PRONG day, which could be an indication of either Fefferi's or, more likely, her Ancestor's presence, as well as the fact that the new 're-branding' of Betty Crocker took on the insignia of Fef's Ancestor's ship.

Another indication of troll presences on post-scratch earth is the Matriorb depicted on the back of the hat card. Knowing Hussie, that is another hint right there of troll presence.

Also, if you look here on the top of the "Be the first to visit Mars" add, you can clearly see Feferi's Ancestor's ship in the sky.

So many hints about troll presence, how could it not be a thing?