Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

Wanna know where that NEX-7 you preordered is? Right here:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Bob Socko fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Oct 24, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

So I tried out the Olympus 45mm today. Brought my E-P3 so I could take a few shots. Then I bought it. gently caress.

ADDENDUM: Depth of field is very shallow at f1.8, but it's a much sharper lens than the Panasonic 20mm f1.7.

Dinosaur Bulbs by Cacator, on Flickr

Cacator fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Oct 31, 2011

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
I spent way too much on this lens cap, but it beats the lovely third-party metal screw-on one that came with the lens, and makes me feel :smug:

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever

Pompous Rhombus posted:

I spent way too much on this lens cap, but it beats the lovely third-party metal screw-on one that came with the lens, and makes me feel :smug:

My GF1 usually has a Super-tak 50mm on it with the pentax slip-on cap, and a nikon speedlight on the shoe if I'm doing something inside. I'm afraid it makes me look like some kind of hipster, but I'm really just cheap. :ssh:

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005
Well I just went ahead and ordered a NEX-3 from Amazon, 18-55 kit plus a free 16mm. Any recommendations for cheap adapters (Nikon F-mount or Minolta SR/MC/MD) or are they mostly interchangeable at the $30 price point?

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Beastruction posted:

Well I just went ahead and ordered a NEX-3 from Amazon, 18-55 kit plus a free 16mm. Any recommendations for cheap adapters (Nikon F-mount or Minolta SR/MC/MD) or are they mostly interchangeable at the $30 price point?

I'd like to add the caveat that the eBay adapters can be a real crapshoot with quality. My LTM-NEX one came loose last New Years and I had to screw the mount back in when I got home, and I went through 3 different NEX-EOS adapters, all of which had locking issues (either it wouldn't lock on to the NEX body, or wouldn't lock on to my EOS lenses). After a few months, my Pen (the old half-frame 35mm camera, not m4/3) to NEX adapter isn't locking the lens on properly, which has led to a couple of close calls, and one time actually dropping it last weekend (it bounced off the rubber hood when it hit and was fine). If you're ordering from eBay, try to find a seller in your country so returns are easier, even if it means paying a couple bucks extra. I assume they all come out of the same factory in Shenzhen or wherever.

I'm debating just coughing up for one of the expensive Japanese adapters so I don't have to worry about it ever again with my 42mm f/1.2. Then again, for the same price, I can get like half a dozen of the cheap ones.

Pompous Rhombus fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Nov 1, 2011

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

Semi-aquatic personification of unstoppable douchery
Panasonic GX1 leaked. Looks like a GF1 and has a 16 megapixel sensor, probably the same as the G3. Nothing too earth-shattering, really.

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005

Pompous Rhombus posted:

I'd like to add the caveat that the eBay adapters can be a real crapshoot with quality.

I was planning to buy through Amazon since they seem to have a few distinct brands, although there aren't tons of reviews so it might be the same inconsistent stuff as on ebay. My local store has some Promaster adapters listed on their website at $80, which sounds like it might be worth the extra money for the chance to handle it in person first (and the ability to return it/complain in person if it breaks).

Also turns out my local store has a sale this weekend that includes a pretty decent deal on the NEX-5n so I might return the NEX-3 and get that instead.

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009
I'm looking into different camera systems and while it's very easy to get a sense of what the popular prime and zoom lenses for Nikon and Canon, I can't really get a grasp of the popular and recommended lenses for M4/3. Could someone put together a helpful list of fast lenses, those known to have super-superior optical quality, and ones with vibration control?

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Suicide Watch posted:

I'm looking into different camera systems and while it's very easy to get a sense of what the popular prime and zoom lenses for Nikon and Canon, I can't really get a grasp of the popular and recommended lenses for M4/3. Could someone put together a helpful list of fast lenses, those known to have super-superior optical quality, and ones with vibration control?

Not too familiar with zooms, but for primes the best, fastest ones are regarded as the Panasonic 20mm f1.7, Panasonic-Leica 25mm f1.4, Panasonic 14mm f2.5, Olympus 45mm f1.8, Olympus 12mm f2.0. The 14, 20 and 45 can be yours for under $400 (each)! Plus, the 14 and 20 are pancakes. As far as I know, Panasonic lenses have image stabilization while Olympus does not, because Olympus is in-body.

Cacator fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Nov 2, 2011

Wolf on Air
Dec 31, 2004

Combat Instructor
Armed Forces, Time-Space Administration Bureau
Picked up a NEX-5 with the 16mm for half the price of a 5N, and my dad bought one with the kit zoom for even less. This is an incredibly fun camera to use! Now waiting on a couple of Hong-Kong grade accessories, a friend bought a set of Konica Hexanon lenses at a flea market for close to nothing before realizing they don't fit on any DSLR, itching to try them out :)

People with the SnapR bags: would the SnapR 20 fit the 16mm well - and for that matter would the 35 fit the kit zoom acceptably well (given that it's over the spec dimensions)?

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

Cacator posted:

Not too familiar with zooms, but for primes the best, fastest ones are regarded as the Panasonic 20mm f1.7, Panasonic-Leica 25mm f1.4, Panasonic 14mm f2.5, Olympus 45mm f1.8, Olympus 12mm f2.0. The 14, 20 and 45 can be yours for under $400 (each)! Plus, the 14 and 20 are pancakes. As far as I know, Panasonic lenses have image stabilization while Olympus does not, because Olympus is in-body.

None of those primes have image stabilization.

Man_of_Teflon fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Nov 2, 2011

EvilRic
May 18, 2007

come have a nice cup of tea!

Man_of_Teflon posted:

None of those primes have image stabilization.

If you have an Olympus PEN body they do because of the in body stabiliser.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
I got to mess around with a Nikon V1 with 10mm f/2.8 yesterday. It's not a bad camera. AF is quick and snappy as we all know by now. The viewfinder is fantastic, roughly on par with the EVF in the Sony A77. Very bright, a smidge of smearing during fast panning, good info display at the bottom. I only took a few photos with it, but zooming in as far as I could on the back of the camera on a photo taken at 3200, the detail retention and noise level was quite impressive. On the down side, the camera is much heavier and thicker than one would figure. It's solid as a rock, but probably more than I would want to carry around for such a product as opposed to a m4/3, NEX or P&S. The hot shoe is also non-standard so you'll have to wait until an adapter of some sort comes out before you can use radio triggers or other such goodies.

Ultimately, if the V1 was about $300 cheaper, it would be a fantastic camera, but at the price point they put it at, you would probably be better off getting a m4/3 or NEX for similar money.

DigitalDud
Sep 6, 2005
If you have an Olympus PEN with in-body stabilization, and a Panasonic lens with in-lens stabalization, how do you choose which IS system to use? Obviously both enabled at once would be broken, but am I right in assuming lens stabilization is the better of the two?

EvilRic
May 18, 2007

come have a nice cup of tea!

DigitalDud posted:

If you have an Olympus PEN with in-body stabilization, and a Panasonic lens with in-lens stabalization, how do you choose which IS system to use? Obviously both enabled at once would be broken, but am I right in assuming lens stabilization is the better of the two?

I always wondered that myself. Is it just that they will both provide a number of stops of stabalisation so you go with whichever gives more and if it's the same number then you just pick whichever you like?

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009

DigitalDud posted:

Obviously both enabled at once would be broken

Huh :confuoot:
It's not so obvious, wouldn't this just result in an oscillating image?

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

Between the earthquake/tsunami in Japan and the recent flooding in Thailand, the release date for the NEX-7 has been pushed back even further. Even worse, the NEX-5N was made at the same plant, so whatever is already on the market is supposedly it until the new year. I really had my heart set on taking a NEX with me to Lanai in February. so I pulled the trigger on the NEX-5N two-lens kit today. If you have your heart set on a NEX-5N, you might want to start looking sooner as opposed to later.

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005

Bob Socko posted:

so I pulled the trigger on the NEX-5N two-lens kit today. If you have your heart set on a NEX-5N, you might want to start looking sooner as opposed to later.

I just ordered one from my local store, won't get it until Monday.

Thinking about ordering an adapter tonight so I can stick this on it ASAP

Untitled by patnumber8, on Flickr

Skam
Jan 6, 2008
I recently got a nex-5 and i love it, however after playing with my friends 50mm 1.8 on his nikon i was wondering what my options are for something similar

I know there is a 50mm lens coming out for the nex soon but it is a little expensive at nearly £240 (also its not out yet)

So i was wondering about adaptors and what my best options are. If i buy an adaptor like This it will let me mount a nikon 50mm f1.8 lens on my nex-5 (i think)

I am aware that i would lose auto focusing but i am a bit confused about the loss of aperture control, does this mean it would be at f1.8 the whole time, or is there a way to adjust it from the lens?

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005

Skam posted:

I am aware that i would lose auto focusing but i am a bit confused about the loss of aperture control, does this mean it would be at f1.8 the whole time, or is there a way to adjust it from the lens?

If the lens has an aperture ring it will work fine with the adapter. There are also adapters that work with G lenses (no aperture ring), but it wouldn't make much sense to buy a G lens just to use on an adapter.

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG
I am starting up my photography hobby this weekend. I will be buying one of these cameras but I am still on the fence about them all. I don't need a kick rear end camera by any means, this is just purely for hobby to keep me entertained. I was thinking of spending around $400 maximum. There are some cameras, like the Samsung where it is possible to buy at that price.

Skam
Jan 6, 2008

Beastruction posted:

If the lens has an aperture ring it will work fine with the adapter. There are also adapters that work with G lenses (no aperture ring), but it wouldn't make much sense to buy a G lens just to use on an adapter.

Ok i think i understand it, going to buy This adaptor and then a used 50mm (one of These)

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

Skam posted:

Ok i think i understand it, going to buy This adaptor and then a used 50mm (one of These)

Buy an old AI 50mm manual focus lens. It doesent make any send to spend extra money for an autofocus lens if you're just going to use it on a body that won't support AF. A MF lens will also probably be much more compact and built better.

getsuga
Dec 31, 2007
I use a Super Takumar 50mm f1.4 on my nex 5n. Nice bokeh, and makes night shooting a breeze. Unfortunately with the adapter the length of the lens becomes slightly longer than the kit zoom. Peak focusing makes the lens really easy to focus. They're around $100 on ebay.

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

Enigma89 posted:

I was thinking of spending around $400 maximum. There are some cameras, like the Samsung where it is possible to buy at that price.
I think a refurbished Olympus E-PL2 kit is around $400 and the E-PL1 should be even less. Sony NEX3 would be a great choice too.

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG

hedge posted:

I think a refurbished Olympus E-PL2 kit is around $400 and the E-PL1 should be even less. Sony NEX3 would be a great choice too.

Where are you finding these prices? Can't find any that are less than $500+.. Really only hoping to spend $350-400. This is my first camera.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Enigma89 posted:

I am starting up my photography hobby this weekend. I will be buying one of these cameras but I am still on the fence about them all. I don't need a kick rear end camera by any means, this is just purely for hobby to keep me entertained. I was thinking of spending around $400 maximum. There are some cameras, like the Samsung where it is possible to buy at that price.

I'd recommend an NEX-3. The Samsung is kind of a red-headed stepchild of the mirrorless lineup and I don't think they're selling well (so they may be unsupported in a camera-generation or two)

getsuga posted:

I use a Super Takumar 50mm f1.4 on my nex 5n. Nice bokeh, and makes night shooting a breeze. Unfortunately with the adapter the length of the lens becomes slightly longer than the kit zoom. Peak focusing makes the lens really easy to focus. They're around $100 on ebay.

For about $100, you can also pick up an Olympus 38mm f/1.8, which is a great normal-ish lens on the NEX. It's compact (being a half-frame lens), and also focuses really close; makes a decent poor-man's macro.

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

Enigma89 posted:

Where are you finding these prices? Can't find any that are less than $500+.. Really only hoping to spend $350-400. This is my first camera.
Refurb E-PL1: http://www.adorama.com/IOMEPL1B14BR.html?utm_term=Other&utm_medium=Shopping%20Site&utm_campaign=Other&utm_source=gbase
Refurb E-PL2: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/used/749936/Olympus_262901_E_PL2_Digital_Camera_W_14_42mm.html
NEX-3: http://www.buy.com/pr/product.aspx?sku=215984539&sellerid=16616284

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG
The Nex-3 and Nex-5 seem to be totally kick rear end. Is the E-PL1 comparable? It is much cheaper than the Nex's. I wish I could get a refurbished Nex..

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Enigma89 posted:

The Nex-3 and Nex-5 seem to be totally kick rear end. Is the E-PL1 comparable? It is much cheaper than the Nex's. I wish I could get a refurbished Nex..

Kinda/not really. The E-PL1 is m4/3, which has a *much* better assortment of native-mount lenses, although in your case that may not matter (not having the cash to buy them). On the other hand, it uses a 2x crop sensor, so it's noticeably more noisy at high ISO than the NEX's, and if you're using an old manual-focus lens on an adapter, it's more "zoomed in", which can be frustrating if you're doing anything other than portraits. The NEX also has that cool articulating LCD going for it, and some other neat features. Personally, the crop and pretty crappy high ISO were enough to turn me off on the m4/3 cameras completely: I was waiting for something like mirrorless cameras to come out almost since I got into DSLR's, but I held off until the NEX was announced because I wasn't convinced Olympus/Panasonic were on the right path.

You could look for a secondhand NEX-3 or something. With the new models coming out, some people are likely looking to upgrade.

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Kinda/not really. The E-PL1 is m4/3, which has a *much* better assortment of native-mount lenses, although in your case that may not matter (not having the cash to buy them). On the other hand, it uses a 2x crop sensor, so it's noticeably more noisy at high ISO than the NEX's, and if you're using an old manual-focus lens on an adapter, it's more "zoomed in", which can be frustrating if you're doing anything other than portraits. The NEX also has that cool articulating LCD going for it, and some other neat features. Personally, the crop and pretty crappy high ISO were enough to turn me off on the m4/3 cameras completely: I was waiting for something like mirrorless cameras to come out almost since I got into DSLR's, but I held off until the NEX was announced because I wasn't convinced Olympus/Panasonic were on the right path.

You could look for a secondhand NEX-3 or something. With the new models coming out, some people are likely looking to upgrade.

Is there any reason to buy the Nex-5 when I don't plan on taking 1080dpi videos? Nex-3 is the way to go it seems then?

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Enigma89 posted:

Is there any reason to buy the Nex-5 when I don't plan on taking 1080dpi videos? Nex-3 is the way to go it seems then?

Nope, not really! (Proud NEX-3 owner here). One of the other differences is no support for an IR remote (so you could take a self-portrait without a self-timer when your camera is on a tripod or something), but it's irrelevant to most users.

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Nope, not really! (Proud NEX-3 owner here). One of the other differences is no support for an IR remote (so you could take a self-portrait without a self-timer when your camera is on a tripod or something), but it's irrelevant to most users.

Want to sell me your Nex-3? :glomp:

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Oly is also probably going out of business or at least they ought to after that retarded scandal.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Got back from Best Buy earlier tonight. They had an open box NEX-5N w/ 18-55 for 600 bucks. I was waiting til Christmas to get one, but my wife was awesome enough to let the holidays come early, particularly with the Thailand flooding making stocking the camera possibly questionable- so I am a proud new owner. It has a very small mark on the lens housing...the saleswoman mentioned that it was a return but upon inspection nothing was wrong with the camera. So far so good, so far as I can tell, other than that mark.

I guess I just wanted to chime in that this camera has blown my socks off. The first few shots I just took on auto (the interface is confusing without any dials, and the lack of familiar placements is tricky so far) came out pretty great for the low light cat photos that they are. I have nothing to add that you couldn't see in a review, but holy poo poo. Glad I got it. I am hoping that the interface will feel more natural over time.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Enigma89 posted:

Want to sell me your Nex-3? :glomp:

I'm planning to upgrade to a 7, but didn't pre-order so no idea when I'll be able to actually get one. No sure if I'd keep my 3 or sell it, but it wouldn't come with a lens anyways (I've got the 16mm and would keep that for the NEX-7).

(plus I live in Japan) :japan:

rio posted:

Got back from Best Buy earlier tonight. They had an open box NEX-5N w/ 18-55 for 600 bucks. I was waiting til Christmas to get one, but my wife was awesome enough to let the holidays come early, particularly with the Thailand flooding making stocking the camera possibly questionable- so I am a proud new owner. It has a very small mark on the lens housing...the saleswoman mentioned that it was a return but upon inspection nothing was wrong with the camera. So far so good, so far as I can tell, other than that mark.

I guess I just wanted to chime in that this camera has blown my socks off. The first few shots I just took on auto (the interface is confusing without any dials, and the lack of familiar placements is tricky so far) came out pretty great for the low light cat photos that they are. I have nothing to add that you couldn't see in a review, but holy poo poo. Glad I got it. I am hoping that the interface will feel more natural over time.

Glad to hear you're liking it!

Pompous Rhombus fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Nov 14, 2011

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

My two major issues with the NEX-3 are the non-existent hot shoe, and the fact that the corners look terrible with wide angle rangedinfer lenses. Apparently Sony did something to fix the corner issue on the 5N, but *not* on the 7. And the 7 has a hot shoe, but the 5N does not. :argh: Sony, why are you stupid?

Seriously thinking about getting the Ricoh GXR M mount instead.

getsuga
Dec 31, 2007

rio posted:

Make sure you set custom keys. I've got right click set on ISO, and center button on WB, D-range, and Focusing. Makes it a lot easier than having to click like fifty times to get where you want to go through the stupid menu system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

FasterThanLight posted:

And the 7 has a hot shoe, but the 5N does not. :argh: Sony, why are you stupid?

It's not even a normal hot shoe at that.

One thing I'd love to see from Sony is interchangeable hot shoes on their DSLR line. Like the old days where some old film SLRs didn't come with hot shoes and you would get one that would screw on on top of the prism. It wouldn't be something you'd be changing out constantly, more of a "set it and forget it" thing.

I guess the down side would be that you wouldn't be able to get TTL out of anything with a regular hot shoe because all the Alpha flashes would have the Alpha shoe.