Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

He's actually got a leg up on everyone else already, I remember reading about a thousand similar Craigslist postings by solos looking for someone fresh out of school willing to work 100 hours a week for minimum wage and the amazing knowledge that would be bestowed upon them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

diospadre posted:

He's actually got a leg up on everyone else already, I remember reading about a thousand similar Craigslist postings by solos looking for someone fresh out of school willing to work 100 hours a week for minimum wage and the amazing knowledge that would be bestowed upon them.

I think I have this job. The knowledge is less than amazing.

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

Slobjob Zizek posted:

Calling all SoCal lawgoons: $10,000 to tutor me for the Dec 2011 LSAT (Laguna Beach, CA)

Hahahaha oh my god. This made my day. Please one of the SoCal brethren jump on this.

E: I'm pretty sure a 160 isn't a slam dunk at Loyola or USD either which I assume is where he/she would be wanting to go.

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

sigmachiev posted:

Hahahaha oh my god. This made my day. Please one of the SoCal brethren jump on this.

E: I'm pretty sure a 160 isn't a slam dunk at Loyola or USD either which I assume is where he/she would be wanting to go.

I'm a little confused as to how someone could write such a cogent ad on Craiglist but could not get a 160 on the LSAT after classes and tutors.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

quote:

I have taken the Testmasters LSAT Prep Course twice; have the Powerscore, Kaplan, Blueprint, and LSAC LSAT books. I have also had a private tutor every weekend for 3 months and still was not able to achieve above a 155.

On the one hand, I want to say to this kid: hang it up. You can't handle the LSAT apparently. On the other hand, if there is any last-ditch, full court press sort of solution, this kid's proposal is it. 6 days a week, 2pm to 10pm, 1v1 tutoring, for 30 days? I know it sounds ridiculous but honestly I respect the kid for wanting to try it - at least you know he's dedicated to the idea.

I doubt it will work, mind you, but A for effort.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...
How do law schools consider multiple LSATs? Do they only see certain ones that you submit to them, or do they see everything?

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep

Ratatozsk posted:

How do law schools consider multiple LSATs? Do they only see certain ones that you submit to them, or do they see everything?

They see all scores. Until recently, US News used to average multiple LSAT scores from the same applicant for their rankings, I think, so law schools did that too. A few years ago they switched to only taking the highest score so I think that's what most schools do now too, since rankings are important. A lot of them say they "consider" all LSAT scores, but I think it's just a minor soft factor instead of a serious numerical consideration. I think when you take it more than three times though it looks a lot worse.

Also LSAT scores expire after five years.

MoFauxHawk fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Nov 13, 2011

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels
Furthermore the December test is the worst test to take.

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009

nm posted:

Heath law is a viable field, but don't think it is saving lives or some poo poo. It is basically a specialized part of insurance law with hospitals suing insurance companies to get bills paid and insurance companies suing hospitals over over billing. Oh and contracts and stuff.
Medicaid Fraud Units at both the State and Federal level are pretty big. I know that the Medicaid Fraud Unit at the Virginia AG pretty much pays for itself, which has been a major reason as to why it's one of the few offices that have been expanding these past few years. And this isn't recipient fraud (a different state agency takes care of that, at least in VA) but health provider/drug company/etc. fraud.

So, there you go. Not saving lives, but still close enough to doing "good," as I imagine whoever this person is conceives Health Law to be.

Neko Sou
Jan 24, 2006
Scarved Wonder
Starting to kind of go back and forth between family law and PD work. I worked at Legal Aid this semester and I loved the law but the clients were so dumb sometimes (mostly just the divorce/custody cases I saw--a couple with 2-3 lawyers each arguing over every last thing). But I talked to some successful attorney friends of mine that I knew from high school at a wedding this weekend, and I kind of remembered that if I went with family law I'd have a huge built-in client base. My parents are very active in the Arab/Muslim community, and since my mom is a pediatrician with a lot of state-insured patients (as opposed to private) I feel like I'd have a lot of built-in referrals. I'm not in Michigan so I don't have a lot of Arab/Muslim attorneys to compete with here.

I have work for the summer in the federal public defender's office, and I'm taking as much crim law as I can. I'll be taking family law and family law practice this next semester. I feel like if I prep myself for PD work it won't shut me out of family law, but if I only focused on family law I'd probably be shut out of PD work. Is this correct? My hope is that maybe I can be a PD for several years and get some good trial experience, and then if I want to go out on my own someday I can do family law and crim defense.

I don't have any job prospects so planning my life out like this is pretty much the only thing that makes me feel better :smith:. It's worked out so far, but I've been doing unpaid stuff with no hope of employment, so we'll see how things go next year.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Neko Sou posted:

but I've been doing unpaid stuff with no hope of employment, so we'll see how things go next year.

Next year you discover that it's possible to have negative hope.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

sigmachiev posted:

Furthermore the December test is the worst test to take.

Do you mean because of time or because of content? Because I got a 166 in December and a 173 in February. Which, for the purposes of the 5 year rule, actually counts as one year.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
http://www2.timesdispatch.com/news/2011/nov/14/5/supreme-court-will-hear-health-care-arguments-ar-1458439/

quote:

The Supreme Court said today it will hear arguments in March over President Barack Obama's health care overhaul — a case that could shake the political landscape just as voters are about to decide if Obama deserves another term.

quote:

The justices announced they will hear more than five hours of arguments, an extraordinarily long session, from lawyers on the constitutionality of a provision at the heart of the law and other related questions about the act. The central provision in question is the requirement that individuals buy health insurance starting in 2014 or pay a penalty.

Wow they are not loving around with this one.

For those of us younger lawyers, I think this is going to be one of the top 5 most significant legal decisions of our careers.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

entris posted:

For those of us younger lawyers, I think this is going to be one of the top 5 most significant legal decisions of our careers.

Really shouldn't they just let Kennedy do all the question asking?

TheBestDeception
Nov 28, 2007

Green Crayons posted:

Medicaid Fraud Units at both the State and Federal level are pretty big. I know that the Medicaid Fraud Unit at the Virginia AG pretty much pays for itself, which has been a major reason as to why it's one of the few offices that have been expanding these past few years. And this isn't recipient fraud (a different state agency takes care of that, at least in VA) but health provider/drug company/etc. fraud.

So, there you go. Not saving lives, but still close enough to doing "good," as I imagine whoever this person is conceives Health Law to be.

We won $170M earlier this year and are getting ready to begin a trial where potential liability exceeds $1B. Still not hiring.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Neko Sou posted:

[At first glance, three reasons why PDs have a bad reputation]

To clear things up, could you write a couple sentences on your experiences with Legal Aid or PD clients?

GamingOdor
Jun 8, 2001
The stench of chips.

Roger_Mudd posted:

drat I thought I was going to be the first to predict a 5-4 decision. Obviously this will have numerous concurrences and dissenting opinions that will require law students to purchase a new edition Con Law text.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Roger_Mudd posted:

I doubt the decision will be close.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)
8-1 upholding, with Thomas the lone dissent.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Upheld, 9 opinions (but really just a mess of partial concurrences and dissents), and a majority votes against each and every rationale given for upholding.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001
I'd honestly put money down on the over on four opinions.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

Soylent Pudding posted:

Upheld, 9 opinions (but really just a mess of partial concurrences and dissents), and a majority votes against each and every rationale given for upholding.

A ConLaw textbook author's wet dream.

Neko Sou
Jan 24, 2006
Scarved Wonder

joat mon posted:

To clear things up, could you write a couple sentences on your experiences with Legal Aid or PD clients?

I haven't done any PD work yet, it'll be this summer. Sorry, I didn't mean to come off sounding like I think everyone is dumb, we just had this really frustrating case with these two parents that wouldn't trust each other on anything and were basically paying 2-3 attorneys each to just waste the court's time. They wouldn't do settlement conferences or anything outside of their court dates, they'd just argue about stuff for 2-3 hours until the judge finally said "get in here, we're doing this now." It just bothered me that people could be so petty when it comes to their kids, which I know is pretty much the theme of family law. The attorneys for the dad told me this was the most contentious divorce they had ever seen and things weren't usually so bad. (my boss was the GAL in that case, so she ended up mediating between the two sides until they finally realized no one was going to agree).

Our CPO clients were very sweet, though one of them ended up getting back together with her ex-husband who started stalking and menacing her again, so we ended up back in court.

From my limited experience, it just seems like it'd be easier to deal with criminals and the crime they've already committed rather than trying to guide someone through their current clusterfuck of a divorce or what have you, only to have them turn around and do the thing you decided you weren't going to do. I know many criminals re-offend all the time and there would probably be the same kind of frustration seeing the same client over and over but it just doesn't seem like it'd be as bad, I guess. I do really like criminal defense though, and I think everyone is entitled to a defense no matter how scummy or guilty everyone thinks they are. The PDs in our community, at least on the federal level, are amazing at what they do and they really inspired me to want to pursue a career in that field. But I'll know a little more once I do my summer work, I imagine. Does that help?

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels
Occupy protests have hit campus here at Berkeley. This was at Sproul Plaza. Draw your own conclusions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buovLQ9qyWQ

Boalt students, near Boalt itself (which is located in a corner of campus some distance from Sproul), were accosted by police, cuffed, and had their signs/bullhorns taken for failing to produce student ID cards. No Boalties were arrested.

There is a scheduled walkout tomorrow to strike. Both students and faculty will be participating. Some classes have been moved outside, some are being recorded. To my knowledge none are cancelled.

E: I should note the general purpose of this Occupy is to oppose UC tuition hikes. The general purpose of the Boalt walkout is more about the police response.

sigmachiev fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Nov 14, 2011

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

sigmachiev posted:

Occupy protests have hit campus here at Berkeley. This was at Sproul Plaza. Draw your own conclusions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buovLQ9qyWQ

Boalt students, near Boalt itself (which is located in a corner of campus some distance from Sproul), were accosted by police, cuffed, and had their signs/bullhorns taken for failing to produce student ID cards. No Boalties were arrested.

There is a scheduled walkout tomorrow to strike. Both students and faculty will be participating. Some classes have been moved outside, some are being recorded. To my knowledge none are cancelled.

E: I should note the general purpose of this Occupy is to oppose UC tuition hikes. The general purpose of the Boalt walkout is more about the police response.

::works a summer in BIGLAW making 3k a week and then goes to an Occupy protest::

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

HiddenReplaced posted:

::works a summer in BIGLAW making 3k a week and then goes to an Occupy protest::

Oh I didn't go. And I'm not going to the Dean's Town Hall about it, going on as I type. And I'm going to Admin tomorrow morning.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

sigmachiev posted:

In exactly the same boat. But I'm a 3L and if ever there's a time to dedicating yourself to a game...

I was supposed to work on my paper this weekend so I can graduate but I ended up playing Skyrim for a ridiculous amount of hours.

Blakkout
Aug 24, 2006

No thought was put into this.

mikeraskol posted:

I was supposed to work on my paper this weekend so I can graduate but I ended up playing Skyrim for a ridiculous amount of hours.

Skyrim just caused me to hand in the shittiest paper I've ever put my name on. Just wait until Diablo 3 comes out this spring. That'll be the end of my studying altogether.

Grammar Fascist
May 29, 2004
Y-O-U-R, Y-O-U-Apostrophe-R-E... They're as different as night and day. Don't you think that night and day are different? What's wrong with you?

gvibes posted:

I'm calling 7-2 upholding, with Thomas and Alito dissenting.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord
You guys really think it will be upheld? Maybe it's cause I'm from Texas and folks here treat the commerce clause like it spat at their mother.

dos4gw
Nov 12, 2005

take that you loving hippies!!!!!

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
I wonder how many of the 5 hours Thomas will end up sleeping through. Also, my bet is that the main opinion will be Per Curiam and incomprehensible, with no judge taking the "credit" for trying to explain what the majority's opinion actually is.

Kase Im Licht
Jan 26, 2001
They'll wait until its clear who's going to win the election next year and go with that.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Roger_Mudd posted:

You guys really think it will be upheld? Maybe it's cause I'm from Texas and folks here treat the commerce clause like it spat at their mother.

There is no good way to invalidate the mandate without invalidating most of the tax code.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

evilweasel posted:

There is no good way to invalidate the mandate without invalidating most of the tax code.

I haven't heard this argument? Wouldn't the 16th carve out an exception for income tax?

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

sigmachiev posted:

Oh I didn't go. And I'm not going to the Dean's Town Hall about it, going on as I type. And I'm going to Admin tomorrow morning.

I wasn't talking about you specifically, but half your class goes into biglaw.

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer

HiddenReplaced posted:

If they make the standard $160k their first year, they're still in the 99% (assuming a $350k per household threshold)

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

gvibes posted:

I don't know how anybody is predicting this. Yes, if they go by precedent it will be upheld, but if they go by preferred outcome and influence of people in their intellectual circles (which is the Federalist Society for almost half of them) it's very iffy.

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009
If it gets upheld, only because Kennedy carves out exception for healthcare. Otherwise, the "but then there's no limit!" wins the day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tetrix
Aug 24, 2002

HiddenReplaced posted:

i'm going to assume the 2 groups are mutually exclusive.