Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Flame effects are really neat. The fire part might use a little more red, maybe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

Bhyo posted:

And finished! I put a lot of work into this model, I hope it shows.

Absolutely wonderful. How'd you do the fire?

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

BTW if any of you ever want to post recipes and how-tos on my Blog I'll be more than happy to post your stuff, I want to put as much content on there as possible.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

crime fighting hog posted:

Absolutely wonderful. How'd you do the fire?

The actual flame or the fire effect on the body?

For the flame it was Solar Macharius Orange, washed with baal red. Then Blazing orange with successive layers of golden yellow added in, then bleached bone and skull white.

The effect on the body was done by mixing in blazing orange and golden yellow to the final highlight colour, then glazing the areas in that. Then I added more yellow and a touch of bleached bone and did another glaze.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Bhyo posted:

Day 2 of my paint a firebelly in 3 days challenge. I think its coming along nicely.

This is magnificent. What colour did you use for the vomit?

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

Pissflaps posted:

This is magnificent. What colour did you use for the vomit?

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Traditional Games > Miniature Painting/Sculpting/Modelling Megathread (What colour did you use for the vomit?)

Also, how the gently caress do you thin Citadel basecoat paints, I can't figure out how to consistantly get mechrite red not looking like clumpy poop

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Bhyo posted:

And finished! I put a lot of work into this model, I hope it shows.

It shows.

But what the gently caress are it's pants made of? (I mean on the back)

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Jonny Nox posted:

It shows.

But what the gently caress are it's pants made of? (I mean on the back)

It looks like a cabbage leaf.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Acceptableloss posted:

That conversion is awesome. I really like the corsair cloak on the back. I'm thinking of doing the same thing on a Saeryn conversion.

Thanks! The corsair cloaks are really nice, and they are proportioned really well to the Guardian pieces - they also need relatively little work to fit, and it's easy to do with a craft knife. I was able to fit the front of a Guardian torso to it, and I think most of the other Eldar pieces would work as well.

I think that I'm not going to bother with a sidearm, I dryfitted a couple options and it just seemed busy. I might do a little work on the shoulders and then clean the whole thing up. I'll be painting them in December.

Crossposting this from the Warmachine thread. I've been a lot more interested in this than my Eldar for the last couple weeks:

I had to mess with a lot of the camera settings to get any decent pictures, and somehow this has made the steel look like NMM instead of dulled boltgun, which is what it is. Oh well!

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Ashcans posted:

Crossposting this from the Warmachine thread. I've been a lot more interested in this than my Eldar for the last couple weeks:

I had to mess with a lot of the camera settings to get any decent pictures, and somehow this has made the steel look like NMM instead of dulled boltgun, which is what it is. Oh well!
I love the bolted-on arc indicators.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Ashcans posted:

I love these.

Your veridigris (or whatever the term is) is pretty great.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
So I made a bitchin' fruit hat for a party last night but the glue hadn't quite dried when I put it on and some of it got in my hair. Is there any way you guys can think of to dissolve cyanoacrylate superglue from hair without burning my scalp or something horrible? I've pulled/cut the small things of glue out already but there's a big glob right on the top of my head near the skin and I'd really rather not have to cut all that hair out.

I figure if anyone on SA knows about superglue it'd be you guys :v:
Maybe there's a chemistry megathread somewhere...

Here's a shot of the almost complete hat!

my kinda ape fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Nov 14, 2011

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

ghetto wormhole posted:

So I made a bitchin' fruit hat for a party last night but the glue hadn't quite dried when I put it on and some of it got in my hair. Is there any way you guys can think of to dissolve cyanoacrylate superglue from hair without burning my scalp or something horrible? I've pulled/cut the small things of glue out already but there's a big glob right on the top of my head near the skin and I'd really rather not have to cut all that hair out.

I figure if anyone on SA knows about superglue it'd be you guys :v:
Maybe there's a chemistry megathread somewhere...

Soak your head in nail polish remover.

Don't do that.

Just put some on a cotton ball, and dab at it. Let it do its thing, and then try to roll it off from the edges. Get off what you can, and then repeat. The nail polish remover will change it from being a hard glob, to a mushy glob.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Just wash it with hot water until it breaks down.

The Dark Project
Jun 25, 2007

Give it to me straight...
For those signing up to the Mini War Gaming site, don't choose the OSL video as your download choice, it's pretty lame. His version of OSL is at the end of painting the miniature, slap on some green in a few areas to represent the glow of the light and that's it.

Should have downloaded the Awesome Paint Job video :argh:

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

:wom: will blow your mind.
I signed up for the free DVD (OSL necromancer) and one week trial of their Vault or w/e.

I went for the gold trial since I could stream their videos. Watched just about every one except the "true metallic" videos with that marauder. I ment to watch those but they were loading slow and I forgot to watch them before the week was over.

Now, I am told that if you get an extension for your browser you can download videos you stream for future playback. Not sure if the guys at MWG would be too happy about people getting these free downloads during their free week, maybe they are betting on people being lazy.

I had thought I ended my trial but I got billed anyway. Nothing a polite email couldn't fix.

edit: also, now that I have caught up with all the threads and it's slow weekend-midnight hours I have no excuse to procrastinate my painting. drat.

2nd edit: :gonk: wet pallet got moldy! Gross. Used the tissue method since I didn't have any sponges that were clean or big enough... Anyone have a home remedy to add like salt or a drop of bleach or something to the water under the paper to prevent poo poo like this from growing in the future?

WhiteOutMouse fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Nov 14, 2011

Loaf32
Feb 18, 2007

I'M NOT ABOUT TO START SPENDING MONEY ON THE FORUMS, THANKS.

WhiteOutMouse posted:

2nd edit: :gonk: wet pallet got moldy! Gross. Used the tissue method since I didn't have any sponges that were clean or big enough... Anyone have a home remedy to add like salt or a drop of bleach or something to the water under the paper to prevent poo poo like this from growing in the future?

I use a couple drops of vinegar and it works really well.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Been a while since I posted any progress on this Infinity board that has been taking up all my time as of late in the P/M thread, and since I finally started adding paint tonight...

Underground smugglers' passages are :3:

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Fix posted:

Underground smugglers' passages are :3:

loving awesome?

Yes, they are.

Amazing table.

LintMan
Mar 12, 2006
Be seening you
Got back from a 7.5 hour van drive from a FOW tournament. We talked Warmachine all the way. Had a nap then painted an Axer to start my Trolls.

sansuki
May 17, 2003

The Dark Project posted:

For those signing up to the Mini War Gaming site, don't choose the OSL video as your download choice, it's pretty lame. His version of OSL is at the end of painting the miniature, slap on some green in a few areas to represent the glow of the light and that's it.

Should have downloaded the Awesome Paint Job video :argh:

Just watched that, and it really is lazy. OSL on the blade overhead, the arm and the face, NOT THE LEGS, but lets put some on the ground in splotches. Oh, and lets put some on the white part of the robes. Just lazy.

Recursive Expanse
May 4, 2011
Are there modeling substances to practice with that have a similar consistency to green stuff but are much cheaper? I'm not really looking for the same quality hardness, just something that will keep the form and feel the same while working with it.

Or maybe someone could just post another general list of green stuff alternatives.

Shallow
Feb 9, 2005

Recursive Expanse posted:

Are there modeling substances to practice with that have a similar consistency to green stuff but are much cheaper? I'm not really looking for the same quality hardness, just something that will keep the form and feel the same while working with it.

Or maybe someone could just post another general list of green stuff alternatives.

If you really think you're going to get through tons while practicing, there are ebay sellers that will do huge amounts of it for the same as a tiny GW pack costs.

stabbington
Sep 1, 2007

It doesn't feel right to kill an unarmed man... but I'll get over it.
You can buy a huge tube of green stuff (Kneadatite) in the plumbing section of most hardware stores for like seven to ten bucks.

Simpo
May 1, 2008

Recursive Expanse posted:

If you don't want to do what shallow suggested (which is probably the best idea, ebay or many other sites, just search for kneadatite blue/yellow), you could try Milliput or magicsculpt, both of which are cheaper, but are slightly harder/different to work with.

The other alternative would be to pick up some polymer clay (fimo/super sculpey), which, again doesn't behave in quite the same way but is close enough to develop basic sculpting skills. It does need to be baked to be cured so it isn't any good for conversions.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
LOOK WHAT I DUG OUT OF MY DINING ROOM CURIO CABINET:

Hello there, old friend!

I LOVE YOU!

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Is that an Eldar Knight?

VVV: I was just asking because you don't see many knights around and it might be some totally new imagining. As for its use as a sex toy, I didn't try it, but I'm willing to believe you that you did. I hope it was good for you.

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Nov 14, 2011

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?

Pierzak posted:

Is that an Eldar Knight?

No, doofus, it is some kind of sex toy.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Big Willy Style posted:

No, doofus, it is some kind of sex toy.

So, it is an Eldar Knight?

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Pierzak posted:

I love the bolted-on arc indicators.

Jonny Nox posted:

I love these.

Your veridigris (or whatever the term is) is pretty great.

Thanks a lot! I wasn't happy with the way regular painted-on arcs look. Making these ones takes more time, but it's really worth it. The verdigris is a combination of the vallejo verdigris glaze and Hawk Turquoise - I go back and drybrush the area with metallics afterward as well, to keep it muted.

Fix posted:

Been a while since I posted any progress on this Infinity board that has been taking up all my time as of late in the P/M thread, and since I finally started adding paint tonight...

Holy poo poo, this is an amazing board. I would love to play a game on that thing, so much better than the awkward handfuls of terrain pieces I usually get to use.

Chance II
Aug 6, 2009

Would you like a
second chance?
Here is my painted vision of the future of 1985!

I like how the cybernetic limbs and hair turned out but my tiger stripes on her leotard (?) came out pretty messy.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

dexefiend posted:

Hello there, old friend!

I LOVE YOU!

It is an Armorcast Eldar Revenant Scout Titan from, like, 1996?

Edit: also, who keeps their sex toys in their dining room curio cabinet?

Buffalo squeeze
Dec 19, 2010

Oh noble brogy. Overflowing with meaty wisdom and secret sauce.

Chance II posted:

Here is my painted vision of the future of 1985!

I like how the cybernetic limbs and hair turned out but my tiger stripes on her leotard (?) came out pretty messy.

I love how it looks like something that miniature companies actually sold in 1985.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

dexefiend posted:

Hello there, old friend!

I LOVE YOU!

Isn't that thing worth like 2000 dollars or something now?

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

crime fighting hog posted:

Isn't that thing worth like 2000 dollars or something now?

Wutwutwut WHAT?

Dagon
Apr 16, 2003

dexefiend posted:

Wutwutwut WHAT?

Don't get too excited, its more like 150-200.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Yeah, you don't see the Armorcast Eldar stuff too much anymore.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Don't sell it man, is your ill-considered youth really up for auction?

Dr. Phildo
Dec 8, 2003

Except the heaven had come so near,
So seemed to choose my door,The distance would not haunt me so

Soiled Meat
Don't sell it!

I got myself some of that Finecast thingies, and I got some q's for dudes who have painted them up already.

Undercoat, yes or no?
Filling in tiny bubbles - use superglue?

I think there was some talk on it when they first appeared, but now that they have been out a little while, I'd like to hear from some who have had a play with them :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Dr. Phildo posted:

Don't sell it!

I got myself some of that Finecast thingies, and I got some q's for dudes who have painted them up already.

Undercoat, yes or no?
Filling in tiny bubbles - use superglue?

I think there was some talk on it when they first appeared, but now that they have been out a little while, I'd like to hear from some who have had a play with them :)

Always prime your figures, always. Doesn't matter if they're made of plastic, metal, resin, or tinfoil; always prime. Fill in the tiny bubbles with superglue or liquid green stuff.

• Locked thread