Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agatha Crispies
Jan 15, 2010

Contains 100% daily dose of little grey cells

VideoTapir posted:

Do you get overtime?

Sonic Dude posted:

Most states only require overtime for >40 hours in a week, and not for >8 hours in a day. In Ohio, you could work 40 hours straight, and as long as you took the rest of the week off, no overtime (and only one state-mandated break).

Yep my state is like that. So nope, no overtime! :smithicide:

Thank god it isn't a split shift though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
2pm-9pm the day before and day after Thanksgiving. Apparently my head manager requested that I specifically be available to work the cash register! So that's a nice vote of confidence.

And then I have a 5 day vacation after that. :allears: I could have taken Black Friday off, too, but I would feel like a dick if I didn't go in and help out my coworkers.

Flavor Bear
Jan 13, 2008

Bear Love is Best Love
So I'm going to be selling Christmas trees starting on Black Friday.
Anyone ever do this before?
What should I expect (In terms of customer behavior)?

I always tip those guys generously so I should expect a lot of tips, right? v:v:v

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.

Flavor Bear posted:

So I'm going to be selling Christmas trees starting on Black Friday.
Anyone ever do this before?
What should I expect (In terms of customer behavior)?

I always tip those guys generously so I should expect a lot of tips, right? v:v:v

I would expect some psychotic, uninformed frothing about the new christmas tree tax

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.

Agatha Crispies posted:

Retail sales goon checking in. So who here knows their shifts for Black Friday yet?

I work 3AM to 3PM! :suicide:

7:30 am to 4 pm as a loving cashier. I am trying everything possible to get out of it, I will work the trailers at 2 am if I can get out of being a cashier. If I actually have to work that shift I swear to any god listening that I will be as high as I can.

Still 39 and a half hours that week so I know I will be getting a little over time no matter what.

Flavor Bear
Jan 13, 2008

Bear Love is Best Love

2508084 posted:

I would expect some psychotic, uninformed frothing about the new christmas tree tax

Already covered. I'm going to tell people we knocked the 15 cents off the price of each tree.
Now if their ranting goes beyond the price and is about "Tha princubbul! :bahgawd:" I just don't know.

ebg
Mar 31, 2008

dear assholes,
yes I know kids' chicken is free on Sundays and Mondays. yes, I'm very well aware that you have a coupon too, for each split ticket in your party of 30. please realize that it takes more than five seconds to split your checks up, bring them to you, and run your cards. also, would you please try to refrain from throwing your credit card at me because you're a big manbaby? thanks!

watchdog
Jun 20, 2001
We can't lose weight with you if you don't update your log!
   /
:backtowork:

Agatha Crispies posted:

Retail sales goon checking in. So who here knows their shifts for Black Friday yet?

I work 3AM to 3PM! :suicide:

I am not allowed to bitch about Black Friday any this year, as I am working 1:30pm to midnight. I will basically be playing cleanup all day since we open at Midnight and by the time I get there, we will be sold out of EVERYTHING.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

watchdog posted:

I am not allowed to bitch about Black Friday any this year, as I am working 1:30pm to midnight. I will basically be playing cleanup all day since we open at Midnight and by the time I get there, we will be sold out of EVERYTHING.

I can't imagine how many miles you're going to walk in your store, especially since the, "Do you have anything in the back?" is going to DEMAND that you go back in that magical room and pick their precious item from the always fruiting retail tree.

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.
Welp as of know I am now suspended with out pay pending a investigation. Could of called me to do this before I wasted the gas driving there folks.

Dead Pikachu
Mar 25, 2007

I wish you were real.
This year will be my first year in retail on Black Friday. I don't think it'll be so bad, I work 5am-2pm on Thanksgiving and Friday I work 8am-5pm. I'm not a cashier and my department is clothing, so pretty much the worst that might happen is people asking about if we have *insert hardline item* while on my side of the store. Kmart doesn't have any spectacular deals that day anyway.

copy of a
Mar 13, 2010

by zen death robot
Another one to go into the book of things you can't explain: had a lady come in yesterday and bought 10 limes, individually. As in, 10 different transactions. On the same card. It took about 10 minutes. They weren't on sale or anything, either, and that still wouldn't have made sense. Help me out here guys?

copy of a fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Nov 14, 2011

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

silversiren posted:

Another one to go into the book of things you can't explain: had a lady come in yesterday and bought 10 limestone, individually. As in, 10 different transactions. On the same card. It took about 10 minutes. They weren't on sale or anything, either, and that still wouldn't have made sense. Help me out here guys?

Gift limestone for 10 friends with receipts so they can return them :downs:

copy of a
Mar 13, 2010

by zen death robot
Meant to say limes, actually. Oops.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

silversiren posted:

Meant to say limes, actually. Oops.

I liked it better when you were quantifying limestone in unmarked units.

"I would like 5 limestone, 2 wood, and a granite please!"

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
12-10pm Friday, Saturday 1-10pm. This is my first Black Friday in 2 years not working the entire 17 hour shift (new company won't let me). Oh well, I should still get good numbers and traffic.

Angry Tiny Man
Feb 26, 2007

silversiren posted:

Another one to go into the book of things you can't explain: had a lady come in yesterday and bought 10 limes, individually. As in, 10 different transactions. On the same card. It took about 10 minutes. They weren't on sale or anything, either, and that still wouldn't have made sense. Help me out here guys?
Maybe she was using a cash-back card? I remember a year or so ago, a few banks/credit companies ran a promotion where you'd buy something, and they'd give you enough money to round up to the next dollar, so if you bought a 57-cent lime, they'd give you 43 cents back. I remember a few advice-sites told you that you could maximize your cash-back by buying produce individually.

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me
My store still doesn't have our schedules out for the week of Thanksgiving/Black Friday. God forbid any employee want to make plans around a holiday to see family.

I shouldn't be working, since after starting my new M-F job my availability is slashed to just Sundays, but according to one manager your availability is not considered on special days like Black Friday and Tax-Free Weekend. Anyone calling out of the shift is "not tolerated" as well, so I guess I may be quitting without a full 2 weeks notice in the next few days if that is the case. Keeping the employee discount is nice, but I'm kind of secretly hoping for a "Well, that interferes with my first job, so see ya later!" conversation.

Chicken Doodle
May 16, 2007

Darth Freddy posted:

Welp as of know I am now suspended with out pay pending a investigation. Could of called me to do this before I wasted the gas driving there folks.

What the hell happened? :psyduck:

copy of a
Mar 13, 2010

by zen death robot

Angry Tiny Man posted:

Maybe she was using a cash-back card? I remember a year or so ago, a few banks/credit companies ran a promotion where you'd buy something, and they'd give you enough money to round up to the next dollar, so if you bought a 57-cent lime, they'd give you 43 cents back. I remember a few advice-sites told you that you could maximize your cash-back by buying produce individually.

This makes sense. I forgot about things like this, probably because I don't get it with my bank.

drat Bananas posted:

My store still doesn't have our schedules out for the week of Thanksgiving/Black Friday. God forbid any employee want to make plans around a holiday to see family.
My store already posted a thing saying they will not approve ANY time off requests for November 21-23. NONE, at all, for any front end associates. So we don't get to make plans, period!

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Do I actually need to give in my two weeks?

I never understood why I would stay with a place where I no longer care about or down right hate.

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:

TontoCorazon posted:

I never understood why I would stay with a place where I no longer care about or down right hate.

Nope, this is America. It is your constitutional right to say "gently caress you, I quit."

edit: I've seen it happen once or twice. Once when a guy was told to do something illegal, and once when a guy had just plain had enough. The second guy had managed his finances well enough to be totally debt free and had another job lined up, though. The boss told him to come in on a holiday or something and the guy just said, "Nope. I'm done here" and walked.

dee eight fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Nov 14, 2011

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

TontoCorazon posted:

The only reason I would give my two weeks would be if you worked with respectable coworkers and didn't want to screw them over if you just skipped out on 30+ of labor that they need covered.

Basically:
+coworkers, +management: Turn it in, maybe they'll retool the schedule for you.
-coworkers, +management: Tell them before they make the schedule, but don't turn 2 weeks in.
+coworkers, -management: Tell your coworkers that you're skipping town and that if they want extra hours, look at your shifts
-coworkers, -management: gently caress them. All.

This is my reasoning and in no way is a professional guide.

Edit: This is my 3rd post without a story ::(: Here it goes.
When I was a teenager, I worked the 2000-2001 christmas season at Best Buy. I can attest that the monthy 'team building' exercises were petty, pointless, and embarrassing, but because I was a cashier, I didn't really have any goals other than, "Would you like to buy <x plan> with your purchase?" Exciting stuff...

But I remember one night when this redneck bro and his friend were buying a few electronics and whips out his mother's card. Still being the optimistic teenager (with emerging depressive tendencies) I adhered to the rules pretty well and said, "I'm sorry, sir, but I can't accept that card. That isn't your card." He looked at me like I was denying him an immutable right and started getting lovely with me, ending it with, "What do you think I just STOLE that card??" :stare:

I was having none of his poo poo, and he eventually relented. But I couldn't really do anything about him being lovely with me. Except not demagnetizing his items. As he walked out of the store, feeling like he had justified being lovely to a teenager, the alarm went off. The LP guy at the desk proceeded to check his items and give him a quick pat down to make sure he wasn't concealing anything. All the time he stared over at me who was waving him goodbye and mouthing, "Have a good night!"

Rick_Hunter fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Nov 14, 2011

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.

dee eight posted:

Nope, this is America. It is your constitutional right to say "gently caress you, I quit."

edit: I've seen it happen once or twice. Once when a guy was told to do something illegal, and once when a guy had just plain had enough. The second guy had managed his finances well enough to be totally debt free and had another job lined up, though. The boss told him to come in on a holiday or something and the guy just said, "Nope. I'm done here" and walked.

This is how I quit my fast food job. New manager got hired, came in with guns blazing, and decided to try and pull me off grave to second shift despite the fact I was the only grave person who showed up for all my shifts and kept time down. That, combined with other poo poo, brought me to writing a note at the end of my shift saying "effective immediately, I quit." Signed it with a smilie face and walked out. They threatened to dock my pay if I didn't bring back my shirts. I guess they reuse them :iiam:

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

Chicken Doodle posted:

What the hell happened? :psyduck:

Apparently my respect and attitude towards some one was out of line. Don't know who yet but I have a couple of ideas. Still on one hand Its good that I was no just fired right there on the spot and they are looking into it.

On the other hand the suspension sucks and they called in some kind of head office HR person to get involved. That seems kind of overkill. Any one have experience with that? Head office hr coming in to do investigations?

Darth Freddy fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Nov 14, 2011

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
but then again so are you
3:45 AM - 12:45 here for black friday. I'm probably going to be on a cash register all day which is stupid because I worked electronics for two years and I'm totally loving amazing at it.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?
I'm glad we don't have anything like black friday in the uk. It just seems like the ultimate celebration of everything wrong with retail in particular and consumerism in general.

Wasn't it black friday when that Walmart employee got trampled a couple of years back? Stay safe from the dribbling masses, retail goons.

I am hella PEEVED
Oct 25, 2007

Welcome to Earth.

rolleyes posted:

Wasn't it black friday when that Walmart employee got trampled a couple of years back? Stay safe from the dribbling masses, retail goons.

Yes, and its why Walmart doesn't have their doorbusters till 3am. Which Target says hey we're open at midnight and our doorbusters are at midnight, like its a badge of pride.

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.
Every year I look for the first reported death on Black Friday. I think I have become broken because I only feel bad if it was an employee.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Rick_Hunter posted:

Basically:
+coworkers, +management: Turn it in, maybe they'll retool the schedule for you.
-coworkers, +management: Tell them before they make the schedule, but don't turn 2 weeks in.
+coworkers, -management: Tell your coworkers that you're skipping town and that if they want extra hours, look at your shifts
-coworkers, -management: gently caress them. All.

The place that I work used to be ++, I used to really love working at this store. I know its retail but I used to genuinely like the people I worked with, But now all the cool coworkers and amazing managers have left and the dumb, lazy and criminal workers have filtered in and the managers here are nothing but corporate cocksuckers that expect you to get a ton of poo poo done when really there's only like 2 or 3 real workers in my section, oh and a smile too. How the gently caress am I going to smile when I'm constantly getting hosed over. The managers don't want to hire more people and that's probably our biggest issue right now, even when I asked my GM he gives me some bullshit how the only way we can more employees is if we sell better, but the poo poo is how are we going to sell good when there's not many people here in the first place to sell decent numbers anyway. And god forbid if someone calls out, that pretty much fucks everybody's day. So yeah gently caress these people. Ok that felt good to get of my chest.

Anybody know where I can find a nice looking resume template or something?

TontoCorazon fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Nov 15, 2011

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I feel so relieved to be out of the game...a former co-worker at the Buy told me his "shift" on Black Friday:

Thursday 10pm-6am, go home for a few hours, come back and work 2pm-9pm.

Won't miss that...

And also, my 2 cents on quitting retail: Don't burn bridges...it may seem awesome to leave telling your manager to gently caress off, but if you've got any time invested at the job it's best to just leave gracefully. You never know when someone you met there can help you get into a better job later on...

Meow Cadet
May 2, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me
I have my regular 12-9pm shift on Black Friday. It shouldn't be to bad. Not too many people rush out for tools and BBQs that day (I work at a hardware-ish store)

But I am tempted to buy ALL of the jingle hats we sell, and then return them after Xmas. I cannot stand the noise of the children playing with the jingle hats. The other day I felt like I was having Vietnam flashbacks when a kid turned on the jingle hat in the store. I almost lost it.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

Medullah posted:

And also, my 2 cents on quitting retail: Don't burn bridges...it may seem awesome to leave telling your manager to gently caress off, but if you've got any time invested at the job it's best to just leave gracefully. You never know when someone you met there can help you get into a better job later on...

More often than not, you're probably going to stay in contact with the people that will allow you to network - coworkers, good managers, etc. But to that one insufferable chud that ruined your life, you can tell he/she/it to eat a bowl of dicks. You will not see them again, you've already said no to working at that company ever again, and if you put a reference down, you'll probably put the good manager's name down.

The only place that I think burning bridges is detrimental is academics, specifically the life sciences, where I hope to make a career. I don't want to piss off a professor only for it to come and bite me in rear end when I try to get a postdoc at another school.

I'm going to shut my mouth now. I can't wait til the Black Friday stories. ::allears::

OmNom
Dec 31, 2003

I make a damn tasty cookie. https://bit.ly/rgjqfw
Looks like after quite a long time out fo the retail game I am stepping back in but on the hated side. In spite of stating my own small side business, I can't keep waiting for more profits to pull a check so I am heading back into the fray for some part time monies.

Went to a local sex shop chain with my girlfriend the other night and saw that they are looking for management; laughing to myself I grabbed an app, mused over the NIN playing on the sound system and set to filling it out the next day. After turning it in and talking with the manager on duty, she scheduled me for an interview which I couldn't make it to, so they called me later and rescheduled in spite of telling me that they couldn't do it any other day.

I'm not sure whether to be excited or not. I haven't been in retail management in years, when I was I gave the interviews. I'm am trying to remember how to interview for a higher up position. Any tips?

I do want the job so I can get hella discounts on copious amounts of sex toys.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

OmNom posted:

Potential job at a sex shop! :flashfap:

While I do hope you get the job, I must admit part of the reason for such is so you can regale us with the horrible things that go on in such places that always get cleaned up before customers arrive :allears:

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

OmNom posted:

Looks like after quite a long time out fo the retail game I am stepping back in but on the hated side. In spite of stating my own small side business, I can't keep waiting for more profits to pull a check so I am heading back into the fray for some part time monies.

Went to a local sex shop chain with my girlfriend the other night and saw that they are looking for management; laughing to myself I grabbed an app, mused over the NIN playing on the sound system and set to filling it out the next day. After turning it in and talking with the manager on duty, she scheduled me for an interview which I couldn't make it to, so they called me later and rescheduled in spite of telling me that they couldn't do it any other day.

I'm not sure whether to be excited or not. I haven't been in retail management in years, when I was I gave the interviews. I'm am trying to remember how to interview for a higher up position. Any tips?

I do want the job so I can get hella discounts on copious amounts of sex toys.

Interview like you already have it. Ask THEM questions. Make them tell you why you should want to work for them.

OmNom
Dec 31, 2003

Drink and Fight posted:

Interview like you already have it. Ask THEM questions. Make them tell you why you should want to work for them.
Sound advice, are you still up in the bay area. I'm heading up there this week.

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me
Just picked up my mail, got a flyer for Kohl's: "WANT ONE GOOD REASON TO COME IN AT MIDNIGHT ON THURSDAY, NOV. 24? WE'LL GIVE YOU 500! HAPPY THANKSAVING DAYS [insert of 2 coupons]" (Kohl's is my 6-year retail alma-mater, but now that I have work elsewhere I don't mind calling them out) We don't have cool electronics or the hot new toys. We don't belong on the Black Friday bandwagon, especially at midnight.

But I'll be proven wrong again this year, when hundreds of unexplainable people scream and fistfight when the doors open so they can get their cool new rug or blanket or t-shirt or whatever. Again. AMERICA!

Flavor Bear
Jan 13, 2008

Bear Love is Best Love

OmNom posted:

Any tips?
Tips for the interview:
(aside from general interview technique)
Don't seem grossed out or otherwise creeped at anything in the store.
Make them think you have nerves of steel. Not just when it comes to weird sex poo poo but also when it comes to rowdy customers. Just give them the impression that nothing gets to you.

Tips assuming you get the job:

If the store also has a "video arcade" be prepared to clean up semen.
And piss.
And vomit.
And poo poo.

People are loving pigs back there.
Sometimes you get dudes looking for hookups back there.
Sometimes these dudes get attacked by over-sensitive homophobe types.
Be prepared to deal with the cops.

For some more pleasant tips, know your product. Memorize the pornstars, the porno directors and the productions companies. A lot of folks buy their smut based on some or all of these criteria.
Check out what different lubes are water or petroleum based and what sex act/toys they are best for.
Take note of what vibrators have the motor in the tip (probably the most important feature of a vibrator), know what strap-ons go with what rings and what harnesses.
Know how to install the sex swings and other erotic fixtures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OmNom
Dec 31, 2003

Flavor Bear posted:

Depravity and such.

Good tips, thanks fully this is higher end and has no booths. I am not squeamish, and nothing sexual phases me, I know my lubes, some toy manufacturers, and have a grasp of porn. At the very least it will keep me above water while I grow my cookies. Don't worry I will regale people with tales if I get the job.