Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Modern Pragmatist
Aug 20, 2008

ReidStylez posted:

Do you have to reboot or respring after installing semi tethered?

You can run the semi-tether app itself after installing and it will tell you the current reboot status. I don't believe that it requires a reboot to be active, but checking that status will tell you for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

Superman Don't Need No Seat Belt
Cross posted from the regular iPhone thread.

Is there a way to use a bluetooth mic/headset to record voice memos?

I want to get a few things written, and the easiest way for me is to speak them and then transcribe them, but I can't find a way to allow my bt mic to work for this.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
What's the probability of the 4S being jailbroken in the next week or so? I'm eligible for the upgrade, but I don't want to buy it if I'm going to lose my jailbroken abilities (particularly Wi-Fi hotspot capability, which for me is almost a necessity.)

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

theblackw0lf posted:

What's the probability of the 4S being jailbroken in the next week or so? I'm eligible for the upgrade, but I don't want to buy it if I'm going to lose my jailbroken abilities (particularly Wi-Fi hotspot capability, which for me is almost a necessity.)

It is definitely going to be Jailbroken in the next 7 days.

What are you kidding me man? Really? Do you think if there was ANY buzz about it where we would know if it was going to be jailbroken, there'd be zero chatter on it here?

Here's your safe answer: 100% will eat my hat, guaranteed NO Jailbroken 4S in the next 7 days.

:)

mewse
May 2, 2006

theblackw0lf posted:

What's the probability of the 4S being jailbroken in the next week or so?

I doubt it. I don't follow the twittersphere or whatever but there isn't even an untethered jailbreak for 5.0 on the new bootrom 3GS available publicly.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

The 4S has been jailbroken already (by MuscleNerd) but its still a long way to go before a public release happens.

gypsyshred
Oct 23, 2006
So to those that have it, is the battery fixes in 5.0.1 worth the hassle of rejailbreaking? Sometimes my battery will just give up the ghost and tank in two hours (which it has never done before), will the patch significantly help with that?

Ezrem
Jan 23, 2006

gypsyshred posted:

So to those that have it, is the battery fixes in 5.0.1 worth the hassle of rejailbreaking? Sometimes my battery will just give up the ghost and tank in two hours (which it has never done before), will the patch significantly help with that?

I was under the impression that only the 4s has the battery life issue.

You might want to just kill everything in your app switcher. People will try to tell you that nothing I there really matters but I had a battery life issue with my 4 over the weekend where it dropped from 100 to 70 in about two hours while idle. I killed everything in the app switcher and the battery drain was back to the more usual 1-2% an hour while idle.

Also the odds of getting an untethered jailbreak are much higher with 5.0.0 vs 5.0.1 so take that into consideration as well.

TheChipmunk
Sep 29, 2003

Eschew Obfuscation
I don't understand this....

Anyone have any ideas? I've done the cleaning the music control folder via iExplorer before to no avail... I assume its something from the jailbreak? I didn't have hardly any jailbreak apps before and currently I don't have anything but 'Semitether'. I just wanted to preserve baseband and thus the jailbreak...

If I unsync apps, then resync them - will all the passwords/data stay intact? It will initially remove it from my phone - then put it back?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

TheChipmunk fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Nov 15, 2011

Diafthora
Sep 22, 2003

All I wanted to do was introduce him to Mr. Axe
So I'm a bit confused now...if I'm on an iPad 2 with 4.3.3, should I update to 5.0 now to make sure I can get a jailbreak?

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
I upgraded from the 3GS to the 4S and so far I'm pretty happy with the battery life. I'm missing Jailbreak functionality, but I'm happy enough to wait for the evil geniuses to sort it out.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Diafthora posted:

So I'm a bit confused now...if I'm on an iPad 2 with 4.3.3, should I update to 5.0 now to make sure I can get a jailbreak?

There's no jailbreak at all for the iPad2 as far as I know. Not sure why upgrading to 5.0 would help in that department.

You should upgrade to 5.0 because it owns bones, however :3:

Hermi On Me
Dec 30, 2002

That's totally barbaric!
Is there a way to get on 5.0 now though? My iphone 4 and ipad 2 are both on 4.3.3 jailbroken, but from what I hear Apple stopped signing 5.0, so the only thing available is 5.0.1 which according to internets is not the best idea if you want an untethered jailbreak down the road.

I have my SHSH 5.0 for my phone if that is useful.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Hermi On Me posted:

Is there a way to get on 5.0 now though? My iphone 4 and ipad 2 are both on 4.3.3 jailbroken, but from what I hear Apple stopped signing 5.0, so the only thing available is 5.0.1 which according to internets is not the best idea if you want an untethered jailbreak down the road.

I have my SHSH 5.0 for my phone if that is useful.

5.0.0 is a no-go unless you were already on it before apple closed the signing window. The SHSH is useless at the moment, but might (might) come in handy later.

At this point, if you want 5.x, 5.0.1 is your only option.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

I suspect it'll be a long time before I can jailbreak my iPad 2, which has a iOS5.0. I won't update, though, so maybe that's in my favor.

There has never really been a good way to jailbreak the iPad 2, has there?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Chinook posted:

I suspect it'll be a long time before I can jailbreak my iPad 2, which has a iOS5.0. I won't update, though, so maybe that's in my favor.

There has never really been a good way to jailbreak the iPad 2, has there?

There was pre-iOS5. I had a jailbroken iPad 2 before I updated to iOS5.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

Ezrem posted:

I was under the impression that only the 4s has the battery life issue.

No, it was impacting my iPhone 4 (not jailbroken) and 5.0.1 did help a lot.

Fozaldo
Apr 18, 2004

Serenity Now. Serenity Now.
:respek::respek::respek::respek::respek:
Ok well I just jailbroke my 4 on ios5. Pretty simple. The new bitesms is very nice. I noticed that transparent clock for lockscreen no longer works though. What have you guys been most impressed with so far?

Doesn't seem like a problem to be on a tethered jailbreak, once you have your device set up everything seems nice and stable.

Fozaldo fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Nov 15, 2011

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

i'Am also a buetifule redd panda

Anyone else getting ridiculously poor battery life on a redsn0w jailbroken ios 5? My ipod touch 3 went from 50% battery to 4% over about six hours, sitting on my desk idling, with no games or music or anything running, and the screen off.

ReidStylez
Sep 7, 2010

Resident Turbo Hayabusa Expert

Jetsetlemming posted:

Anyone else getting ridiculously poor battery life on a redsn0w jailbroken ios 5? My ipod touch 3 went from 50% battery to 4% over about six hours, sitting on my desk idling, with no games or music or anything running, and the screen off.

You know, I used to get really poor battery quality but since 5.0.1 came out I'm seeing an improvement. I didn't' even update to it. It could just be a coincidence. I haven't noticed and idling battery issue but more so when I'm using it. Not as bad a my 3GS on 3.1.3 with the spirit JB. I lost 1% every minute using it then.

ReidStylez
Sep 7, 2010

Resident Turbo Hayabusa Expert

Fozaldo posted:

Ok well I just jailbroke my 4 on ios5. Pretty simple. The new bitesms is very nice. I noticed that transparent clock for lockscreen no longer works though. What have you guys been most impressed with so far?

Doesn't seem like a problem to be on a tethered jailbreak, once you have your device set up everything seems nice and stable.

I haven't messed with themes yet mainly because I don't know what works and what doesn't. Plus I don't like messing with my phone when I'm away from my computer being tethered. I will say I haven't had an issue tethered yet.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
I finally cracked and installed the semi-tethered Jailbreak. Just a quick question. Is there something I can download to hide Newstand? There doesn't seem to be an option for it in SBsettings.

Also, not sure if I missed it but is 5.0.1 available for the same semi-tether? If not, can I hide that annoying update notification on my settings icon?

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

m.hache posted:

I finally cracked and installed the semi-tethered Jailbreak. Just a quick question. Is there something I can download to hide Newstand? There doesn't seem to be an option for it in SBsettings.

Also, not sure if I missed it but is 5.0.1 available for the same semi-tether? If not, can I hide that annoying update notification on my settings icon?

Install NoNewsIsGoodNews.

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004
Think for Yourself, Question Authority.

Kazy posted:

Install NoNewsIsGoodNews.

I hid mine away in a folder? Maybe it only works because of folder enhancer?

Either way, semi-tether totally saved my life yesterday. I updated to the new v15 beta of biteSMS and my phone locked up when attempting to respring. I rebooted into semitether and was just fine to rock out with the Music app and make calls/texts till I got home and booted tethered.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

dutchbstrd posted:

I hid mine away in a folder? Maybe it only works because of folder enhancer?

Either way, semi-tether totally saved my life yesterday. I updated to the new v15 beta of biteSMS and my phone locked up when attempting to respring. I rebooted into semitether and was just fine to rock out with the Music app and make calls/texts till I got home and booted tethered.

I hide all my unused icons and didn't want to dump it into a folder. Also I don't think there was a way to get it into a folder without some addon or a cluster gently caress way of sneaking it in there.

NoNewIsGoodNews did the trick though, thanks.

Risky
May 18, 2003

Martytoof posted:

There's no jailbreak at all for the iPad2 as far as I know. Not sure why upgrading to 5.0 would help in that department.

You should upgrade to 5.0 because it owns bones, however :3:

I've got the most amazing battery life on my iPad2 on 4.3.3 right now and even if I didn't care about losing jb, I'm more concerned with having horrible battery life.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Risky posted:

I've got the most amazing battery life on my iPad2 on 4.3.3 right now and even if I didn't care about losing jb, I'm more concerned with having horrible battery life.
I don't mind 5.0 on my 4S (though I'd downgrade to 4.3.x in a hearbeat if I could and keep Siri and jailbreak), but 4.3.3 on my iPad isn't broken so I ain't fixing it.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Not sure if this is jailbreak related, but it could be.

I have a 4, which I have run jailbroken most of the time I've had it. I upgraded to 5.0 when it was released, and then used the redsn0w tethered jb about two weeks later. I jailbreak primarily for SBSettings and 5-icon dock.

The last 3-4 days, my battery has been draining way faster than normal. My use hasn't changed at all; I spend most of the day at lab or at home with the phone connected to a WiFi network, and I disable bluetooth/gps etc when not in use. My battery used to be around 85% at the end of the day, and now it's down near 30%. I haven't changed anything in weeks, and suddenly my battery life sucks.

I unfortunatly forgot to save my SHSH for 5.0, so a re-install is not possible (although I have a 4.3.3 blob saved).

Any suggestions?

FloatingPoop
Aug 15, 2001

Cuz it's all so fuckin hysterical
Two questions I'd like to ask... because I searched a bit and came up with nothing.

Are there any sbsettings addons that let me initiate the "wi-fi sync now" without having to jump through all the hoops of going through settings to start it?

and... "find my friends" is totally unusable because the message saying "connect to itunes to use push notifications" keeps popping up over and over and when I hit OK it doesn't do anything but pop up again.

I recently updated my 3GS to 5.01, jailbroke with redsnow and it's working pretty well all things considered

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
No idea how legit this is.

A member of the Dev Team just posted this:

quote:

@chronic
have not personally tried but may be useful to some • RT @xoicos: 4S Unlock, confirmed. pastebin.com/1jtNPKqs via @pastebin

https://twitter.com/#!/chronic/status/137244739597639681

quote:

Insert original carrier AT&T SIM card
Dial 611 for AT&T customer service hotline and drop the call
Turn on Airplane Mode
Take out AT&T SIM card
Insert T-Mobile SIM card
Make sure WiFi is off ( also tap on ‘Forget this Network” to make sure it doesn’t connect automatically later)
Switch off Airplane Mode and iPhone will search for network. This is followed by the Apple splash screen appearing.
Activation Required will be displayed on the screen
EDGE network will activate automatically – notice the ‘E’ on the top left corner of the screen
Wait for about 20-30 seconds and turn off the phone
Turn on iPhone and the same Activation Required screen will be displayed
When you see one signal bar, tap on Use Cellular Connection
Eject SIM card
Activation Required screen will be displayed the second time
Insert SIM card
Unlocked!

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

I am not disappointed I lost the PGA Championship. Nope, I am not.
The part about calling AT&T and dropping the call has me suspicious. What could that possibly do?

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Those fancy SIM card unlocks involve making an emergency call. Maybe it makes the baseband do something and then the method interrupts that.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
More "confirmations" on the Unlock (going from posts on jailbreakqa).

iPhone 3GS/4/4S, requires iOS 5.0 or 5.0.1 (as those are the only versions of iOS that can self-activate). I'm guessing Apple may patch it out in 5.0.2 (or 5.0.3/5.1).

I have a possibly de-activated T-Mobile SIM card. I doubt it will work. Then again, I don't know what I'd do with an unlocked phone.
Would an unlocked GSM phone help me in Japan? Or do they have some moon-tech phone service there?

Deepfried
Sep 20, 2001

From Muscle Nerd re the unlock:

"unfortunately it'll just relock again once a new TMSI is required (various normal network operations require TMSI refresh"

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Does anyone know of a Cydia tweak to get rid of the annoying "HAY HAY HAY RATE ME" popups that a bunch of apps have started resorting to lately?

Economic Sinkhole
Mar 14, 2002
Pillbug

Javid posted:

Does anyone know of a Cydia tweak to get rid of the annoying "HAY HAY HAY RATE ME" popups that a bunch of apps have started resorting to lately?

I just 1-star any app that does that. Doesn't help but makes me feel better.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Economic Sinkhole posted:

I just 1-star any app that does that. Doesn't help but makes me feel better.
Don't they stop asking once you do it once? I'd say that's a perfect solution

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

randyest posted:

Don't they stop asking once you do it once? I'd say that's a perfect solution

He probably plays more than one game. I'm not sure, though.

edit: VVVVV: yeah, I do think it's a good idea. If I love a game, I'll go ahead and throw a good score at it, I guess, but otherwise, yeah, 1 star, and I say "Obstrusive in-game popups try to force you to rate the game". Eventually it'll stop, I think.

Chinook fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Nov 19, 2011

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Chinook posted:

He probably plays more than one game. I'm not sure, though.
I meant one rating each. It's less hassle than a million "Not now" clicks for every game. And maybe they'll stop if they get enough 1-stars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheChipmunk
Sep 29, 2003

Eschew Obfuscation
I'm trying to restore/rejailbreak my iPhone 4 (iOS 5) to get rid of the huge "Other" Mystery space. However, after putting it into DFU mode and trying to do a custom restore of 5.0 NO_BB, it tells me that my device is not eligible.

At this point, I just have to wait because TinyUmbrella doesn't work its magic anymore? Would the only way to do this be to go to 5.0.1?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

• Locked thread