Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

YOUR GOLDEN MAGNETIC LIGHT
Yeah, watching Breaking Bad at times has me feeling nostalgic for what feels like just a couple years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

Snak posted:

I understand this is true, but I guess I just haven't had much experience with competent dubs.
The only American dubs I watched are from video games and animated shows, and I think they're very well made in general. Not sure about movies. In countries like Spain, Germany, Italy, and France, where dubbings have been the norm for a very long time, the quality is usually quite good.

quote:

I'm curious now though, are dubs a lot more accurate about the dialoge? I figured most dubs also changed a lot for convenience.
With dubs you can afford to use more words and more slang. It also allows for a bit more text when a character is off-screen, since you can make the sentences as long as you want. Subtitles are always limited to two thirty-five character lines every five/six seconds.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

SkunkDuster posted:

Do the books or EU or anything explain what Ripley's and Kane's jobs were in Alien?

Ripley had her pilots license revoked in Aliens, so does that imply she was the co-pilot and third in command behind Kane? I haven't watched Alien in a while, so I might have forgotten something, but why was Kane, the second in command, out poking around the eggs instead of Ash, who was the science officer?

A little late on this one, but it shows Ash staying behind in that big computer terminal room with all of their audio and video feeds. I always assumed he typically monitored from the comfort of the ship, where had had access to space wikipedia if he needed to look something up or consult with Mother about something they found. The interference from the crashed alien ship just screwed up the normal routine.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

the Bunt posted:

Yeah, watching Breaking Bad at times has me feeling nostalgic for what feels like just a couple years ago.

Feeling nostalgic for two of the ugliest mass produced cars shoved down America's throat?

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

It made me laugh when he traded up (or rented) a Yaris. Walt is such a square.

hey it gets a great milage

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Breaking Bad is also set in the past, which I'm not sure that many people realise. You have to ignore the weird product placement of 'Rage' (In which it's suddenly made out to be a lightgun game), but there's a conversation early in the most recent run where some characters are talking about zombie games, but they're weirdly dated references.

Also, isn't it flat out stated that only 6 months to a year has passed since Walt's tale started?

csidle
Jul 31, 2007

'The past' is pretty overestimating it. It started in 2008 and it's been about 8-9 months IIRC ("the better part of a year"), so it's probably around the end of 2009 or something. The zombie games they were talking about were Resident Evil and Left4Dead, which would make sense even for today, though you could make a case for Dead Island being in there.

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

Rusty Shackelford posted:

Feeling nostalgic for two of the ugliest mass produced cars shoved down America's throat?

Well, in the same sense that people are nostalgic for track pants or pump sneakers.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I just read through a very early draft of Superbad and loved the experience of comparing it to the filmed version. It really highlighted the process of refining and improving seemingly minor details in order to make something wildly better, tighter, and more cohesive in a finalized form. Can anyone recommend other scripts that give that show the same processes, and, perhaps, point out where to find them?

The only other ones I can think of are Star Wars and Back to the Future, which I've read at least bits and pieces of already.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

feedmyleg posted:

I just read through a very early draft of Superbad and loved the experience of comparing it to the filmed version. It really highlighted the process of refining and improving seemingly minor details in order to make something wildly better, tighter, and more cohesive in a finalized form. Can anyone recommend other scripts that give that show the same processes, and, perhaps, point out where to find them?

The only other ones I can think of are Star Wars and Back to the Future, which I've read at least bits and pieces of already.

Michael Chabon's script for Spider-Man 2 is like this in reverse. I'm sure you can find it out there somewhere.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

morestuff posted:

Michael Chabon's script for Spider-Man 2 is like this in reverse. I'm sure you can find it out there somewhere.

Oh, man, I remember reading that a few years ago. It's really :psyduck: in comparison to the finished product.

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Timby posted:

It's really :psyduck: in comparison to the finished product.

On that note, I hardly ever read scripts but Richard Kelly's treatment of Holes was insane. It was set in the post-apocalypse and the boys had a lot of meandering chat about God and the universe while digging holes :psyduck:

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

csidle posted:

'The past' is pretty overestimating it. It started in 2008 and it's been about 8-9 months IIRC ("the better part of a year"), so it's probably around the end of 2009 or something. The zombie games they were talking about were Resident Evil and Left4Dead, which would make sense even for today, though you could make a case for Dead Island being in there.
All I can contribute is that his handicap placard in season 2 says 2008. I made sure to watch out for it, since people talked about the time period of the in this very thread before, so this has come full circle.

mareep
Dec 26, 2009

Is there a Hunger Games movie thread? I didn't really care for the books all that much (the first was surprisingly good, and it got to be a huge slog after that, in my opinion) and I didn't really have that much of an interest in the movie, all things considered, but the trailer actually piqued my interest. It looks a lot more well done than I was expecting.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I have a question about Insidious myself. When they change houses, what happens to the other 2 kids? I feel like they had to have addressed this in the movie, but damned if I noticed.

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

redjenova posted:

Is there a Hunger Games movie thread? I didn't really care for the books all that much (the first was surprisingly good, and it got to be a huge slog after that, in my opinion) and I didn't really have that much of an interest in the movie, all things considered, but the trailer actually piqued my interest. It looks a lot more well done than I was expecting.

It's had huge derails in the Greenlighted and Movie Posters thread but not its own thread, if you want to make a thread I say go for it. If only to consolidate all the circular Battle Royale ripoff derails to one thread.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

DrVenkman posted:

Breaking Bad is also set in the past, which I'm not sure that many people realise. You have to ignore the weird product placement of 'Rage' (In which it's suddenly made out to be a lightgun game), but there's a conversation early in the most recent run where some characters are talking about zombie games, but they're weirdly dated references.

Also, isn't it flat out stated that only 6 months to a year has passed since Walt's tale started?

Well, you can log time based on his wife's pregnancy. When the show starts she's about 4-5 months pregnant, and in the middle of season three (where I've watched to) the Walt is thrown out of the house for two weeks, adding the week of the plane crash, and then the five weeks of recovery time from his surgery, and then two weeks between the surgery and the scheduled C-section, giving us a total of about ten weeks. So two and a half months, plus the 4 months of pregnancy. So maybe 6 to 7 months give or take (depending on how pregnant she is when the show starts, which I don't think is implicitly stated) to the middle of season three.

Also, the Aztek I think was chosen because it's a terrible car, and probably was a really cheap deal, since is sold so poorly, and is from a discontinued car line. I think it goes to show their their impoverished state.

Super-NintendoUser fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Nov 15, 2011

NGL
Jan 15, 2003
AssKing
Thanks!

NGL fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Nov 15, 2011

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

NGL posted:

Please fix your spoiler tag. I'm only in Season 2.

I'm sorry! Fixed. maybe you want to delete the quote?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Baron von Eevl posted:

I have a question about Insidious myself. When they change houses, what happens to the other 2 kids? I feel like they had to have addressed this in the movie, but damned if I noticed.

They stay with the wife's mom, if I'm not mistaken.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Also, the Aztek I think was chosen because it's a terrible car, and probably was a really cheap deal, since is sold so poorly, and is from a discontinued car line. I think it goes to show their their impoverished state.

It's not a discontinued line when the show is set, though.

mareep
Dec 26, 2009

Farbtoner posted:

It's had huge derails in the Greenlighted and Movie Posters thread but not its own thread, if you want to make a thread I say go for it. If only to consolidate all the circular Battle Royale ripoff derails to one thread.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3449238

Done and done. Really wasn't expecting anything to come of the film but the trailer alone was enough to think it might generate some interesting conversation.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
What's up with so many American movies set in foreign countries or the past having everyone speak in a British accent?

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

are you referring to the recent Paul WS Anderson Three Musketeers? Because I have no friggin' idea what's up with the accents in that movie.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

cheerfullydrab posted:

What's up with so many American movies set in foreign countries or the past having everyone speak in a British accent?

I think alot of it has to do with the idea that there's just any accent there. Might also be a connection that Americans might make to certain British accents being "classier" and therefore more "classical." Another factor may be people's interpretations clouded by watching British Shakespearean actors playing classical roles such as Julius Caesar.

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
I'm trying to google something but don't know the name for it.

What is it called when the audio from the next scene starts a few seconds before the current scene finishes?

I'm interested in how it came about (as a technique) and what exactly the purpose of it is.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

huh posted:

What is it called when the audio from the next scene starts a few seconds before the current scene finishes?

I'm interested in how it came about (as a technique) and what exactly the purpose of it is.

I've usually heard it referred to as a sound bridge, though I'm sure there are other terms for it.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

huh posted:

I think that the term is also referred to as crossfade, at least when dealing with straight audio. My only reason for suggesting this is that was the name of the option in Winamp to get the effect you are describing.

Wiki posted:

Crossfading: A crossfader on a dj mixer essentially functions like two faders connected side-by-side, but in opposite directions. It allows a DJ to fade one source out while fading another source in at the same time. This is extremely useful when beatmatching two sources of audio (or more, where channels can be mapped to one of the two sides of the crossfader individually) such as phonograph records, compact discs or digital sources.

The technique of crossfading is also used in audio engineering as a mixing technique, particularly with instrumental solos. A mix engineer will often record two or more takes of a vocal or instrumental part and create a final version which is a composite of the best passages of these takes by crossfading between each track.

In the perfect case the crossfader would keep constant output level. However, there's no standard on how this should be achieved.[7] Many DJ equipment manufacturers offer different mixers for different purposes (e.g. scratching, beatmixing, cut mixing, etc.). High-end mixers often have crossfade curve switches allowing the DJ to select the type of crossfade necessary. Experienced DJs are also able to crossfade between tracks using the channel faders.

There are many software applications that feature virtual crossfaders. For instance, burning-software for the recording of audio-CDs

CzarChasm fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Nov 15, 2011

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

penismightier posted:

It's not a discontinued line when the show is set, though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pontiac_Aztek

It sold very poorly and was discontinued in 2005. The show takes place in 2008, right? Regardless it's a perfect icon to show how poor and non-stylish the White's are. Was it paid product placement, though?

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

cheerfullydrab posted:

It's an easy way to say "foreign" without actually being in another language. Also, British a accents are more class associated than American accents, so it's easier to denote aristocrats from the poor.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

huh posted:

It's called an L cut. I've also heard it referred to as a J-cut, since the audio precedes the corresponding video on an editing timeline.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

mojo1701a posted:

It's called an L cut. I've also heard it referred to as a J-cut, since the audio precedes the corresponding video on an editing timeline.

As an editing technique it can also be referred to more simply as a "sound advance."

csidle
Jul 31, 2007

Bryan Cranston was on the Marc Maron podcast a few weeks ago and he said he came up with the idea of Walt driving a hideous Aztec. The Aztec, like Walt in the beginning, pretty much blends into the desert landscape.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Also worth pointing out that Walt has actually run over and killed people with his Aztek so either Pontiac doesn't have much control over its use or they don't care.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

Woz My Neg rear end posted:

Also worth pointing out that Walt has actually run over and killed people with his Aztek so either Pontiac doesn't have much control over its use or they don't care.

I'm assuming they don't care since the brand has been dead for a year now.

MisterGBH
Dec 6, 2010

Eric Bischoff is full of shit
Was 1994 one of the worst years for Cinema in both a critical and financial way?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

MisterGBH posted:

Was 1994 one of the worst years for Cinema in both a critical and financial way?

Why that year specifically? Looking over the list of movies that came out that year, it doesn't look any better or worse than usual.

MisterGBH
Dec 6, 2010

Eric Bischoff is full of shit

morestuff posted:

Why that year specifically? Looking over the list of movies that came out that year, it doesn't look any better or worse than usual.

I should have explained myself really, me and some friends were talking about films in general and 1994 seemed to be a year that really stuck out as year with more duds then successes.

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

MisterGBH posted:

I should have explained myself really, me and some friends were talking about films in general and 1994 seemed to be a year that really stuck out as year with more duds then successes.

Pulp Fiction.

though, I dunno how big a financial hit it was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

MisterGBH posted:

Going by http://boxofficemojo.com/yearly/ it doesn't seem like anything went majorly wrong.