Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Hints? Literally every Betty Crocker logo just became a carbon copy of the symbol for the queen's warship, and Jane now has a miniature weaponized version of that logo.

I think we're long past "hint" territory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Yeti
Jun 1, 2011
Most of those are about the Condesce being on Earth, and she was there before the scratch anyway. We may get more information on her, but the rest of the troll race doesn't necessarily have to show up.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Happy Yeti posted:

Most of those are about the Condesce being on Earth, and she was there before the scratch anyway. We may get more information on her, but the rest of the troll race doesn't necessarily have to show up.

They certainly don't. The Condesce suddenly disappeared probably because she found a way to jump to the scratched universe, and has now influenced human culture to a far greater extent than was desired or necessary before. It would be very easy for a time-hopping alien with knowledge of (despite little expertise in) advanced technologies to shift humanity towards interplanetary travel or greater by our current time.

The matriorb appearing in the recipe list just means that it is a component of and a result of the punch-card based alchemy, just like every other object in the whole story. And what better way to remind the audience that it exists than to teasingly and nonchalantly disregard it, like Hussie has done with almost every other plot device at some point in time?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Happy Yeti posted:

But they probably will for the following reasons:

TOAST7312 posted:

Except for all the hints, you know.

Multiglobal empire. Here.

Last time I checked, Betty Crocker or no, the Trolls were the only one in this comic with a multi-global empire prior to the scratch.

"you are the only of your kind invited to playtest(it)!"? Also here.

If this isn't a clear indication of non-humans present on Earth, I don't know what is.

The multiglobal empire and "your kind" lines are a pretty dead giveaway. Especially the "your kind" line.

Mr. Moon
Oct 22, 2007
The sky is deep and dark and eternally high...

TOAST7312 posted:

Another indication of troll presences on post-scratch earth is the Matriorb depicted on the back of the hat card. Knowing Hussie, that is another hint right there of troll presence.

Or it's just an indication that as we already know alchemy can create pretty much anything from anything, since anything can be captchalogued.

About the only indication we have of trolls beyond the Condesce are the person watching the exile terminal who has stubby grey troll kid fingers and "the only one of your kind". And the second one doesn't necessarily mean trolls, even.

I personally think it's likely there's either some seeeerious class stratification going on much like arbitrary blood colours in troll society or there's aliens, possibly trolls about. But right now we don't have enough info to say "hussie is telling us there are trolls intermingled with earth society".

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Don't forget the mystery troll operating the (exile?)terminal with Alternian text on the screen and keyboard. That's definitely important for whatever's going on with this post-scratch world. Edit: EFB on that one

And, if given the chance, it only makes sense that the Troll Empress would want to re-establish her species on a new planet- especially if it's one where they can subjugate the current inhabitants. It's not a 100% thing at this point, but it'd make a lot of sense for there to be trolls on scratched-earth, given the circumstances and the hints so far. (Jane recognized what a troll was when mentioning the Little Monsters poster)

Sea Lily fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Nov 15, 2011

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
Since I seemed to miss it, how exactly did the Condesce get to Earth the first time around?

Alectai
Dec 31, 2008

It doesn't matter how long I live, I will never have a hat as dashing as this.

GenericOverusedName posted:

Since I seemed to miss it, how exactly did the Condesce get to Earth the first time around?

Shenanigans!

Which should be the correct response to any inexplicable plot detail

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
More to the point, the Condesce presumably still works for Lord English (and Doc Scratch, if he's in the post-Scratch kidverse as I suspect.)

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

GenericOverusedName posted:

You haven't missed it. Almost everything about her has been intentionally vague. Presumably, that will change before these kids get into the session.

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

"I should really learn to fucking read"

MrBims posted:

They certainly don't. The Condesce suddenly disappeared probably because she found a way to jump to the scratched universe
It is also very possible that it is related to her taking on the role of "new master's witch" for Lord English.

GLOSS
Apr 10, 2005

PEARL GROWLS "TAKE OFF THAT SHIRT, STEVEN." I COMPLY, REVEALING THE FULL LENGTH SHIRT TATTOO. PEARL RETREATS INTO HER GEM, DEFEATED.
In other unrelated, but just as important news, Jeffrey Rowland (@wigu) is currently livetweeting his trip to Olive Garden with Andrew Hussie. HISTORY FOLKS!

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
...Hussie's actually going to the Olive Garden? :aaaaa:

Boneless Jogger
Apr 20, 2010

King of Solomon posted:

...Hussie's actually going to the Olive Garden? :aaaaa:

This is bigger than any plot twist Homestuck has to offer.

I am proud to have seen this moment.

VERY COOL MAN
Jun 24, 2011

THESE PACKETS ARE... SUMMARILY DEALT WITH
In ten years, we'll all remember where we were when Hussie actually went to Olive Garden.

He's even allegedly using his special Olive Garden funds!

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

Will he try to map out the infinite breadstick and salad causality loops while there? If anyone can solve that perplexing riddle, it's him.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I knew my donation to this cause would be worth it one day.

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

Did a bit of archive diving, and found this little gem in a pesterlog:

quote:

GG: yes but....
GG: i did not provide the weapons!
GG: my penpal did
CA: wwhos that
GG: the guy who helps me build the present
GG: we worked on it together but he supplied the bunnys weapons
GG: im pretty sure hes from the future!
CA: wwhy
GG: because he said hes my grandson
CA: wwhat the gently caress is a grandson
CA: is that some kind of pervverse human familial thing
GG: umm yes
CA: nevvermind then your procreational biologistics make my fins curl in distaste
GG: oh no!!!!!
GG: aaaaa please dont tell anyone i told you about him!
GG: augh how could i let that slip to you of all people

The Jake English pesterlog suddenly makes a lot more sense.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Hm, interesting stuff. How does he have access to those weapons? Will he send the bunny and the weapons back from inside the game, or does he have the necessary Skaia tech in his home?

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Dolash posted:

Hm, interesting stuff. How does he have access to those weapons? Will he send the bunny and the weapons back from inside the game, or does he have the necessary Skaia tech in his home?

Maybe it's John who gave him the weapons, and he has access to those weapons because he got them from the bunny.

Time fuckery again.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Slime posted:

Maybe it's John who gave him the weapons, and he has access to those weapons because he got them from the bunny.

Time fuckery again.

All those weapons blew away in the wind(y thing). Fortunately Dave has the sword, John has the hammer and needles, and the rife is outside Jade's house so it's all good.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Slime posted:

Time fuckery again.
It might even be alt-Bro. After all, Jake needs to talk to him about something concerning the bunny.

Mr. D Bewildering
Mar 24, 2010

8^y
So the rifle came from Eridan, the needles from Echidna(?), and the sword as part of Dave's personal quest. Are we left with assuming that the Warhammer of Zillyhoo originated with Gamzee? 2 weapons from denizens and 2 from trolls.

I guess what I question now is how these weapons were ever acquired pre-SGRUB.
(The ancestors, maybe?)

Citizen Rat
Jan 17, 2005

I really want to be all excited about the new kids but honestly my heart is stuck with the trolls and I'm not so interested in this arc given I'm pretty sure that Hussie has decided to kill em all to clear the way for more human kids.

Human kids are so god damned boring.

OurLivesOnline
Nov 5, 2009

let's be friends

Mr. D Bewildering posted:

So the rifle came from Eridan, the needles from Echidna(?), and the sword as part of Dave's personal quest. Are we left with assuming that the Warhammer of Zillyhoo originated with Gamzee? 2 weapons from denizens and 2 from trolls.

I guess what I question now is how these weapons were ever acquired pre-SGRUB.
(The ancestors, maybe?)

I'm pretty sure the Rifle belonged to Eridan's ancestor. As for why Gamzee had the warhammer of Zillyhoo, maybe he just reached up into an idea he had of it... And...

jvempire
May 10, 2009

Citizen Rat posted:

I really want to be all excited about the new kids but honestly my heart is stuck with the trolls and I'm not so interested in this arc given I'm pretty sure that Hussie has decided to kill em all to clear the way for more human kids.

And that's what people said when the troll arc started. Give it some time, they may even become your new favorite characters.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Citizen Rat posted:

What on Earth gave you that idea?

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

Citizen Rat posted:

We have one kid who's being subtly brainwashed by "They Live"-style subliminal messages and one who might be almost certainly is related to Lord English, and we're only three days into Act 6. I wouldn't call the two out of four new kids we've met so far "boring" by any means, but that's just my opinion.

Citizen Rat
Jan 17, 2005

King of Solomon posted:

Oh, I don't know, because of the twelve we start out with only 5 of them are alive?

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

King of Solomon posted:

The fact that he spent so much time on them killing Vriska, calming Gamzee and escaping Jack and oh wait that is actually evidence the trolls aren't an afterthought.

Hussie wanted to do the scratch and kid-guardian swap even before starting Act 5 Act 1, so it isn't like he has gotten bored of the surviving trolls and wants to chase this tasty carrot of four new kids instead. We will get back to the trolls soon enough. After all these kids get in their new session, probably. In five months, probably.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Citizen Rat posted:

Oh, I don't know, because of the twelve we start out with only 5 of them are alive?

That's great evidence that Hussie killed the trolls, but doesn't suggest poo poo about the post-Scratch guardians replacing them or that they were killed with the express purpose of replacing them. That's the part that's silly to me.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Citizen Rat posted:

From his 2nd formspring:

Andrew Hussie posted:

Are you at all hesitant about killing off character after character of the main cast? I mean, we went from 16 trolls and kids to about... What, 8? 7 if Gamzee's dead, which I'm still hoping that he isn't. You're running out of cast members, man!

I'm not hesitant about following through with long term plans I made.

Most of these characters didn't exist a year ago. Vriska was introduced in July last year. I opened these arcs understanding most of them would likely be closed, and every gesture has paved the way for what you see now. Act five has been a great swelling of cast complexity followed by a great contraction. I knew it was going to have this overall structure.

Another approach would have been to treat this cast like that of a syndicated cartoon, with amusing but basically static lives. Antics happen, hijinks are afoot, everyone is pals and things are ok forever. Tune in next week! I don't deny there's entertainment value in that, with the content leaning on characters and relationships above anything else. This is actually the reality of this work echoed by the collective consciousness of fan artists, who cast all these characters in a perma-living state playing out amusing scenarios with each other. It's fun. Doesn't serve the bigger story much! Not one with a complex architecture headed in a very specific direction, but fun nonetheless. It would be prioritizing character far beyond the overarching story. I'm not doing that. Certainly not with characters always designed to play a transient role.

The bottom line is, I had plans, and I stuck to them. I wouldn't change them midstream because I got the sense that some people would rather Homestuck be "Trolls! The Sitcom."

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

KoB posted:

Judging from Jake's frog temple, it seems to know that there will be 8 players. The temple looks to have 8 pillars to correspond to this.

Which page are you getting that from? I can't seem to find it.

The flash only shows 3 pillars (with a presumed 4th pillar behind the camera)

Citizen Rat
Jan 17, 2005

King of Solomon posted:

That's great evidence that Hussie killed the trolls, but doesn't suggest poo poo about the post-Scratch guardians replacing them or that they were killed with the express purpose of replacing them. That's the part that's silly to me.

Replacing as in some sort of plot shenanigans? No. But more that the plot has now moved past them? Probably. I didn't say they were an afterthought, I said their section of the story is (maybe/probably) done.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Citizen Rat posted:

Replacing as in some sort of plot shenanigans? No. But more that the plot has now moved past them? Probably. I didn't say they were an afterthought, I said their section of the story is (maybe/probably) done.

Right, that's true. That's not what your original post suggested.

Citizen Rat
Jan 17, 2005

MrBims posted:

From his 2nd formspring:

Not seeing how this refutes my point. Their part of the plot is either over or near over. Now the plot is about the new kids. I'm not so interested in the new kids. Not sure why this is getting all the rage?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Citizen Rat posted:

You're right. The fact that the trolls are now physically grouped up with two of the four human main characters is indicative that they're not going to have any more role to play in the story. Clearly what's going to happen when the rest of the trolls arrive at the Green Sun where Aradia and Sollux are already hanging out with the Dersekids is that Dave will just go "welp peace out y'all" and they're going to leave the trolls sitting there staring at the Green Sun for the rest of time while they head back to earth.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Bobulus posted:

Which page are you getting that from? I can't seem to find it.

The flash only shows 3 pillars (with a presumed 4th pillar behind the camera)

Its looking out the front of the temple, with one pillar straight on and two at roughly 45 degrees, with that we can assume that there will be 8 to make it symmetrical.

H.P. Shivcraft
Mar 17, 2008

STAY UNRULY, YOU HEARTLESS MONSTERS!

Gabriel Pope posted:

You're right. The fact that the trolls are now physically grouped up with two of the four human main characters is indicative that they're not going to have any more role to play in the story. Clearly what's going to happen when the rest of the trolls arrive at the Green Sun where Aradia and Sollux are already hanging out with the Dersekids is that Dave will just go "welp peace out y'all" and they're going to leave the trolls sitting there staring at the Green Sun for the rest of time while they head back to earth.

After the ripsnorting Troll-less adventure that is Act 6, Act 7 will be an epilogue of a single panel showing all the remaining Trolls still hanging out in front of the Green Sun with Karkat saying "WELL THIS HAS PROVED TO BE A loving COLOSSAL WASTE OF TIME."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Citizen Rat
Jan 17, 2005

H.P. Shivcraft posted:

After the ripsnorting Troll-less adventure that is Act 6, Act 7 will be an epilogue of a single panel showing all the remaining Trolls still hanging out in front of the Green Sun with Karkat saying "WELL THIS HAS PROVED TO BE A loving COLOSSAL WASTE OF TIME."

It would be funny. And that is the abiding rule of Homestruck.