Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Olive Bar
Mar 30, 2005

Take me to the moon
When you guys let your rats free range how do you know where they peed on the carpet? My rats have a play area set up but I don't want pee everywhere, but I would love to give them more running around space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emnity
Sep 24, 2009

King of Scotland
Recently got 3 female dumbo rats, affectionately called 'Black Rat', 'Grey Rat' and 'White Rat'. I was a little sceptical at first as I had never had anything to do with rats previously. I must say they are a load better than any Hamster or Gerbil I had when I was younger, very socialble and keen to play and explore.

My wife has had rats previously but we did learn some interesting info from the OP, thanks for that!. I will post pics in the near future.

mareep
Dec 26, 2009

Olive Bar posted:

When you guys let your rats free range how do you know where they peed on the carpet? My rats have a play area set up but I don't want pee everywhere, but I would love to give them more running around space.

I guess it depends how big an area you've given them, but usually when I let them run around on my bed I cover the whole thing with an old fleece blanket. I guess you could probably lay that down in the area if you have a way to keep them contained in it?

Amiss
Mar 9, 2006

Pestilence is the new pink.

squidtarts posted:

Our Wrinkles has had an infection for a while that's had her slowly bleeding out from her genitals. The antibiotics did seem to help for a while, but she's still bleeding and I can't imagine that she'll be able to last that way forever. She seems really weak but she does come out of the cage and play and is still eating treats and lots of baby food. Whenever she decides to stop eating we'll probably take her to the vet to be put down. Our vet was very sorry that there's no such thing as a rat blood transfusion. :smith: She's about 21 months old at this point, so she's had a pretty nice long life for a rat.

What do you do with your rat when they die? We live in an apartment complex so I don't think we can just go bury her in the woods by our apartment or anything.

I dunno if I can handle getting more rats after all three of our girls die.

Oh no, Wrinkles. :(

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca

Amiss posted:

Oh no, Wrinkles. :(
Wrinkles update: Wrinkles is still alive, and acting normal. She was completely out of it and we thought Sunday would be the end last week, but by Tuesday she was moving around normally. It was one of the happier moments for us in quite a while to see Wrinkles running on her wheel that night when I was getting Rat Dinner ready. She still seems to have a noticeable tumor on her stomach, but she hasn't been bleeding at all since then.

Here's a picture of her on Tuesday night when she tried mango for the first time. When she finished, she tried to bite squidtarts on the mouth because squidtarts had just eaten mango as well.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Beluga Smoothie
Oct 22, 2008

Boco_T posted:

Wrinkles update: Wrinkles is still alive, and acting normal. She was completely out of it and we thought Sunday would be the end last week, but by Tuesday she was moving around normally. It was one of the happier moments for us in quite a while to see Wrinkles running on her wheel that night when I was getting Rat Dinner ready. She still seems to have a noticeable tumor on her stomach, but she hasn't been bleeding at all since then.

Here's a picture of her on Tuesday night when she tried mango for the first time. When she finished, she tried to bite squidtarts on the mouth because squidtarts had just eaten mango as well.

Wrinkles is so... wrinkly! What a cutie. Since it looks like she has a little fuzzy coating, I have to ask, what does it feel like? I've never pet anything but a regular rat.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ok frankies now lets get in formation

Beluga Smoothie posted:

Wrinkles is so... wrinkly! What a cutie. Since it looks like she has a little fuzzy coating, I have to ask, what does it feel like? I've never pet anything but a regular rat.

Balls.

Rodent Mortician
Mar 17, 2009

SQUEAK.

Superconsndar posted:

Balls.

Quoted for truth. Naked rats feel like scrotums.

Beluga Smoothie
Oct 22, 2008

Rodent Mortician posted:

Quoted for truth. Naked rats feel like scrotums.

...I don't think I want to think about naked rat scrotums then. It's like balls on balls on balls.

ElectricSquire
Aug 21, 2005

Superconsndar posted:

Balls.

A very apt way to describe it!

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
It's balls all the way down.

Big Bug Hug
Nov 19, 2002
I'm with stupid*
Good to hear Wrinkles is hanging in there.

My Basil has gone 4 months since his tumor popped up - an abscessed tumor on his groin. I didn't get him operated on due to his age, and budgetary concerns. But so far it hasn't affected him at all, except that he squeaks sometimes if I touch it wrong when I pick him up. He eats, drinks, climbs up and down for food and even still jumps to the shelves.

I know one day sooner than I'd like his quality of life will decline and I'll have to make that decision, but I am really impressed he's been so resilient. He's 2 years, 4 months old now.

In short, gently caress cancer in pets and people. It sucks.

Beluga Smoothie
Oct 22, 2008

Big Bug Hug posted:

Good to hear Wrinkles is hanging in there.

My Basil has gone 4 months since his tumor popped up - an abscessed tumor on his groin. I didn't get him operated on due to his age, and budgetary concerns. But so far it hasn't affected him at all, except that he squeaks sometimes if I touch it wrong when I pick him up. He eats, drinks, climbs up and down for food and even still jumps to the shelves.

I know one day sooner than I'd like his quality of life will decline and I'll have to make that decision, but I am really impressed he's been so resilient. He's 2 years, 4 months old now.

In short, gently caress cancer in pets and people. It sucks.

Good for Basil! As long as he's acting happy, you're doing your best. My Emily is in the same boat, she's had a pretty massive uterine tumor for the past 3 months. The vet said it was inoperable due to the size or placement or some such so I've just been keeping an eye on her. Rats are indeed very resilient animals.

Emnity
Sep 24, 2009

King of Scotland
One of my rats has started sneezing quite a lot and there seem to be minor blood flecks in the mucus. Re-cleaned the cage incase it was an allergy or such, and none of the products or food have changed, should this be a straight to vet job?

Olive Bar
Mar 30, 2005

Take me to the moon
I take my rats to the vet any time they start sneezing, so far its always been an infection. If there is blood then DEFINITELY go straight to the vet, right away. Are you sure its not porphyrin?

Big Bug Hug
Nov 19, 2002
I'm with stupid*

Beluga Smoothie posted:

Good for Basil! As long as he's acting happy, you're doing your best. My Emily is in the same boat, she's had a pretty massive uterine tumor for the past 3 months. The vet said it was inoperable due to the size or placement or some such so I've just been keeping an eye on her. Rats are indeed very resilient animals.
Thanks, its hard watching it happen but I couldn't afford $300 for rat surgery at the moment... I know I probably would have somehow found the cash if the vet had been more confident about operating, but with all the factors... yeah. I'm sorry you have to go through that too :(

On the upside at least I can give him all the treats he wants and the biggest portion of everything. Sometimes I might sneak him out and give him icecream >.>

Emnity posted:

One of my rats has started sneezing quite a lot and there seem to be minor blood flecks in the mucus. Re-cleaned the cage incase it was an allergy or such, and none of the products or food have changed, should this be a straight to vet job?

Yeah go to the vet. What you are seeing is probably porphyrin, not blood, but it is no less an indication of sickness/stress. He likely needs antibiotics. Respiratory issues are very common with rats. I recommend reading up on rat health a bit on the 'net :)

Beluga Smoothie
Oct 22, 2008

Big Bug Hug posted:

Thanks, its hard watching it happen but I couldn't afford $300 for rat surgery at the moment... I know I probably would have somehow found the cash if the vet had been more confident about operating, but with all the factors... yeah. I'm sorry you have to go through that too :(

On the upside at least I can give him all the treats he wants and the biggest portion of everything. Sometimes I might sneak him out and give him icecream >.>

Believe me, I feel you. Between Pandi, who had to be put down for her brain tumor, and Luna's spay and tumor removal and emergency stay when she ripped the stitches out, and other vet visits (checkups and after-hours) we've probably spent around $1000+ on rats this year. If Emily had had a good prognosis for surgery we'd have done that too but it'd definitely be a strain. I'm very, very lucky to have a mother who has the finances to support my girls, even though I don't live with her. I love my girls so much but it's hard to rationalize spending so much on such a short lived animal sometimes. I think I might be done with rats for a few years once they're gone.

Right now it's really only supportive care for Luna. She's had a head tilt and balance issues since June or July that haven't improved with steroids or antibiotics and I sincerely suspect it might've been a small stroke or something since it happened very suddenly. Who knows. Her coordination is slowly going so she can't clean herself as well anymore, so I have to wipe her feet off and things like that, and her back legs don't work too well. Emily's tumor is just, well.. big. About the size of a whole walnut, I'd estimate. I'm hoping it won't abcess but we'll see. Leah is just a fat spotted dumbo pig and I suspect she'll die of something completely unexpected like spontaneous combustion or aliens. It sucks having to watch them decline but I'm honestly not sure if it's worse to make the decision to put them to sleep or to stumble on them after they've gone. I've never had to deal with the latter and I don't know how I'd react but sometimes I feel like it might be a more peaceful option.

I do the same thing with giving extra treats, especially to Luna. She's such a scrawny little thing now that I try to give her extras like nuts and meat to put some weight back on her. Ice cream is a fun one, though. They get all messy. :3:

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

Emnity: I have had over 1k rats and I have yet to see one sneeze blood so it's probably porphyrin. If there are no other symptons (no lethargy, wheezing, weight loss, puffed fur, etc) I usually give it like a week to go away and then it's vet time. If there are any other symptoms and they persist more than about a day, also vet time. So.

snowdoge
Jul 2, 2009
I am at the end of my rope. I am not ready to lose my rats, and it seems like it's coming closer than I had hoped.

Both of my girls are the same age, a little over a year old. Pau has already had two tumor removals on separate occasions, and Kobe is recovering from her first one, waiting for her to heal up so we can pay for another removal for one growing under her leg. We are already poor, and my fiancee has spent a lot of money on their doctor visits and surgeries.

Right now that Kobe is healing, I was playing with Pau when come to discover: she has ANOTHER tumor :geno:

So thats now 2 removed tumors for Pau, a brand new growing one (about the size of a lima bean), 1 removed for Kobe and one more to get removed. I don't know what to do! Our vet said they are too old to get spayed, so which means that we are going to have to keep getting our girls cut open to remove these things, and I don't think we're gonna have enough to pay for it all.

What do you guys suggest we do? Should we bite the bullet and continue to get their masses removed during the remainder of their lives, or should we let nature take its course and let them both be consumed by tumors until they pass away on their own? I am frustrated yet frightened at the same time. It's too soon to say goodbye, and I am a wreck when people or animals I love, die. :sigh:

Olive Bar
Mar 30, 2005

Take me to the moon
God, what an awful decision to have to make. Unfortunately I'm no help, but you are doing the best by them you can, and whatever choice you come to I hope you don't blame yourself. This is a serious rock and a hard place.

Beluga Smoothie
Oct 22, 2008

Mongoloid Joe posted:

I am at the end of my rope. I am not ready to lose my rats, and it seems like it's coming closer than I had hoped.

Both of my girls are the same age, a little over a year old. Pau has already had two tumor removals on separate occasions, and Kobe is recovering from her first one, waiting for her to heal up so we can pay for another removal for one growing under her leg. We are already poor, and my fiancee has spent a lot of money on their doctor visits and surgeries.

Right now that Kobe is healing, I was playing with Pau when come to discover: she has ANOTHER tumor :geno:

So thats now 2 removed tumors for Pau, a brand new growing one (about the size of a lima bean), 1 removed for Kobe and one more to get removed. I don't know what to do! Our vet said they are too old to get spayed, so which means that we are going to have to keep getting our girls cut open to remove these things, and I don't think we're gonna have enough to pay for it all.

What do you guys suggest we do? Should we bite the bullet and continue to get their masses removed during the remainder of their lives, or should we let nature take its course and let them both be consumed by tumors until they pass away on their own? I am frustrated yet frightened at the same time. It's too soon to say goodbye, and I am a wreck when people or animals I love, die. :sigh:

Oh gosh, I'm sorry to hear that. I can't really say what I'd do in that case but, and I hope I'm not being contrary by saying this, I don't understand why your vet thinks they're too old. I just had a girl spayed at about 2 years and she pulled through with flying colors. I don't know if there are other good exotics vets where you live but maybe you could see about consulting with one of them or just talking more to the vet you have. I'm so sorry you're going through this but as Olive Bar said, you're doing the best you can for them.

Olive Bar
Mar 30, 2005

Take me to the moon
Here's a happy video to even out some of the sad. Benjamin soybean fishing. Jack is lazy so he just steals them after Benny fishes them out.

http://youtu.be/kayrRi7qTWo

Big Bug Hug
Nov 19, 2002
I'm with stupid*
Mongoloid Joe - that decision is the hardest :( Just something to think about : if you can't spare the money - and I understand completely - she probably has a couple of good months left in her before she declines, so that might make it a little easier for you, knowing you will have time to spoil her before you have to say goodbye. Don't feel bad if you can't afford any more. There's only so much you can reasonably justify spending no matter how much we love them.

But if money isn't the main issue, I would definitely look for an exotics vet. Over one year old is not too old for spaying, its your vet that doesn't have the confidence in himself to do it.

Beluga Smoothie posted:

It sucks having to watch them decline but I'm honestly not sure if it's worse to make the decision to put them to sleep or to stumble on them after they've gone. I've never had to deal with the latter and I don't know how I'd react but sometimes I feel like it might be a more peaceful option.
:(
After losing Dex to pneumonia and after Basil's gone... well, its actually my hope that their brother Jack (who's in great health) dies peacefully of old rat age. We will see. I'm sorry about your girls. Rat lover solidarity hug!

Reading this last page, I think I have been pretty lucky so far. Maybe because I have boy rats, but my guys were healthy right up until 2 years old and this is their first vet-worthy issues.

Big Bug Hug fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Nov 22, 2011

Beluga Smoothie
Oct 22, 2008

Big Bug Hug posted:

:(
After losing Dex to pneumonia and after Basil's gone... well, its actually my hope that their brother Jack (who's in great health) dies peacefully of old rat age. We will see. I'm sorry about your girls. Rat lover solidarity hug!

Reading this last page, I think I have been pretty lucky so far. Maybe because I have boy rats, but my guys were healthy right up until 2 years old and this is their first vet-worthy issues.

Yeah, if I ever get rats again I think I'd get boys. Girls seem to have it worse when it comes to tumors. I've also heard boys are generally a little calmer and lazier, which would be nice. Emily and Leah came from a pet store so they weren't well socialized when they were young (and Leah was held pretty much in solitary confinement for a few weeks before I got her because a cagemate bit the tip of her tail off) so they don't like being held. Emily actually ripped off her back toenails by kicking and fighting my vet a few months ago. I've never heard a rat scream like that and I hope I never do again. My vet treated her as gently and calmly as she could but Emily just will NOT be held. I'm happy Luna likes to snuggle but it would be great to have a group of big lazy rats that will let me cuddle and pet them. I'm just a little hesitant because I've heard buck grease on boys is kinda gross but I suppose it's nothing a washcloth couldn't handle.

Perhaps it's me being controlling but even though it's painful, I find some solace in going with my girls when I've had to have them put down. I feel like I'd have a life of second-guessing and self-blame if one of them went on their own, even though it wouldn't necessarily be rational to do so. I think it just scares me to think that I might have missed something and caused them to suffer and die somehow. I'll never get over coming back from a 3 day vacation and finding my rat Anna bleeding from the vagina from a uterine infection and having to have her put down that night. The neighbor who came to feed and water them hadn't noticed anything but I still feel so guilty. It kills me now to go anywhere and leave them in someone else's hands, especially now that Luna's got balance issues. All I can imagine is her falling from a ledge and breaking something and suffering until I come back or dying in pain. Ugh. I hope I can learn to have some serenity and trust in things like you, Big Bug Hug. Perhaps going naturally really would be best. I'm sorry about Dex, pneumonia must have been terrible. Luna had a respiratory crisis a month ago where she was gasping for air and I was up sitting with her and crying for hours. It's so scary to see these little animals in trouble and knowing that even if you do your best, it might not help. I know you did all you could, though. All anyone can do is try.

Jin Wicked
Jul 4, 2007

Well, I never!

Beluga Smoothie posted:

I'll never get over coming back from a 3 day vacation and finding my rat Anna bleeding from the vagina from a uterine infection and having to have her put down that night. The neighbor who came to feed and water them hadn't noticed anything but I still feel so guilty. It kills me now to go anywhere and leave them in someone else's hands, especially now that Luna's got balance issues.

Nothing has ever happened, but this thought troubles me too.

I board my rats with my veterinarian if we will be gone more than a day.

I take them in their own cage and they usually charge me for one animal.

Something to consider, especially for the elderly or disabled ones.

Big Bug Hug
Nov 19, 2002
I'm with stupid*

Beluga Smoothie posted:

I'm just a little hesitant because I've heard buck grease on boys is kinda gross but I suppose it's nothing a washcloth couldn't handle.

Perhaps it's me being controlling but even though it's painful, I find some solace in going with my girls when I've had to have them put down. I feel like I'd have a life of second-guessing and self-blame if one of them went on their own, even though it wouldn't necessarily be rational to do so. I think it just scares me to think that I might have missed something and caused them to suffer and die somehow. I'll never get over coming back from a 3 day vacation and finding my rat Anna bleeding from the vagina from a uterine infection and having to have her put down that night. The neighbor who came to feed and water them hadn't noticed anything but I still feel so guilty. It kills me now to go anywhere and leave them in someone else's hands, especially now that Luna's got balance issues. All I can imagine is her falling from a ledge and breaking something and suffering until I come back or dying in pain. Ugh. I hope I can learn to have some serenity and trust in things like you, Big Bug Hug. Perhaps going naturally really would be best. I'm sorry about Dex, pneumonia must have been terrible. Luna had a respiratory crisis a month ago where she was gasping for air and I was up sitting with her and crying for hours. It's so scary to see these little animals in trouble and knowing that even if you do your best, it might not help. I know you did all you could, though. All anyone can do is try.
Firstly - I've only ever had boy rats. But I don't notice any buck grease to speak of on my guys, only that they have coarser fur than my friends' girl rats. I also hear people say they smell worse - but I haven't noticed this either. I change their cage every few days and it doesn't smell bad at all to me. They are big and lazy, they love to lounge in a rat pile and if you get them from a breeder that has handled them, they will grow up to be snuggle bugs. They're just as active as babies but definitely calmer adults. I'm a big proponent of boy rats. Not that the girls aren't sweet too :)

Second, Pneumonia was the most horrible thing ever. I'm really glad your girl pulled through with her respiratory problems. I spent two weeks feeding Dex baby food and medicine and he just wanted to be held all the time. I was a wreck. I wrestled so hard over the final decision and it is very hard not to blame yourself or wonder if you did something wrong. So I understand the various guilts we get :) I couldn't leave Basil in the hands of someone else at the moment thats for sure, but I hope you know none of it was your fault, hell you might not have even noticed something wrong until too late anyway. I understand the apprehension about finding one passed away but really I would just like my old boys to go without prolonged suffering.

Jin Wicked, thats a really good idea if I have to go away in the near future. The vet that sees Basil for his tumor would take good care of him and for some reason I'd never considered boarding them there. Thanks!

Beluga Smoothie
Oct 22, 2008
Jin: Oh, that's a good idea! I'll call my vet and see if they'll take them. I'm going to be gone for 4 days soon so it'd be nice to have them watched over. I'd have to put them in a smaller cage though, their normal one is this, which is 2 feet on each side and 3 feet tall. Bit of a pain to transport. It's been a godsend for Luna though, the little tube at the bottom and the spiral ramp are easy for her to use even with her hind end losing function. It makes me happy to still see her scuffling up and down, hoarding pellets and just coming up to say hello.

BBH: What I wouldn't give for calm rats! I love my girls but they are certainly balls of energy. Thanks for the info on boys. :) You are so devoted to have spent all that time taking care of Dex. He was so loved and so lucky.

Big Bug Hug
Nov 19, 2002
I'm with stupid*
Here is a picture of Basil being a lazyass, laying down eating his food. And Wiley photobombing as usual.

He always waits for me to hand him treats, but then I see him later jump up to the top shelves all by himself. Spoiled rat.

Big Bug Hug fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Nov 25, 2011

Olive Bar
Mar 30, 2005

Take me to the moon
So, my boys had their first Thanksgiving yesterday, and since they live such short lives I see nothing wrong with feeding them all kinds of things (excluding the "bad" foods) as long as their weight is normal...

You're doing it wrong.

I was told that giving them cooked poultry bones is okay, and while I was a little nervous about it having grown up with dogs, I gave them a turkey bone and all I've been hearing is gnaw, gnaw, gnaw. I was starting to get a little worried about his teeth, but I think it'll be fine. Benjamin won't let anyone take his bone, and he's built up a cardboard and various other debris fortress. It's impressive.

Big Bug Hug
Nov 19, 2002
I'm with stupid*
Cooked bones are great, don't worry :) You can crack them before giving them for extra marrowy goodness. Its cool how efficiently they get completely stripped in a short amount of time.
I don't see any bad food here! You still have wicked looking rats though.

Olive Bar
Mar 30, 2005

Take me to the moon
I love their combination of wicked and goofy. The nekkid rats have big tongues and they flop out to the side whenever they yawn, and they give me retarded amounts of kisses when I get up in the morning.

Beluga Smoothie
Oct 22, 2008
Big Bug Hug: Basil looks so comfortable there. I always said I wanted a big fleece hammock like that to snuggle in.

Olive Bar: I did the same! My girls got tasty turkey skin and have big bones waiting in the fridge for them.

GlazedMcGuffin
Jan 26, 2004
So... new rats. First time rat owner here. They're doing adorable and fine, we named them Nausicaa (the white one) and Ada (brown), I got some Harlan Teklad, some fruits and veggies, my fiance sewed them a little rat nest, the usual.

I don't mean to out anyone here, but she kind of announced it herself when Nausicaa straight up hyper-humped Ada, no pun intended.

Anyone else have gay/bi/trans rats?

Olive Bar
Mar 30, 2005

Take me to the moon
My naked rats are a top/bottom pair apparently. I keep telling them I don't disapprove of their relationship because they're boys, but because they're brothers. It's just not right.

Gooses and Geeses
Jan 1, 2005

OH GOD WHY DIDN'T I LISTEN?
All rats will hump each other! It's how they sort out who's boss!

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

Once, years ago, I put one of my males in to breed with one of my females who was in heat. After they did their thing, I put him back in with his cage mates and left to do some stuff.

I came back like an hour later to a gay rat gang rape. I had left in a hurry and forgot to bathe him before tossing him back in with the boys, so he smelled like girl-rat in heat.

They had him backed in a corner and all 10 or so of them were all over him. He got a bath and it was all good, but :drat:

If it helps, most of the rats in there were related to him, and the female I'd just bred him to was his sister. From the same litter, in fact. Rats have no sense of propriety.

Big Bug Hug
Nov 19, 2002
I'm with stupid*

Olive Bar posted:

My naked rats are a top/bottom pair apparently. I keep telling them I don't disapprove of their relationship because they're boys, but because they're brothers. It's just not right.
I have an incestuous gay duo as well. They have a special bromance.

I hear female rats do this more than boys, so enjoy the rat on rat action, Glazed McGuffin. And welcome to the rat thread... lol

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

I'm thinking of getting rats in a year or so's time. I have some questions though :ohdear:

1. Does this breeder seem good? My local RSPCAs don't take rats, so the options are kind of that lady, BYB listing from preloved, pet shop, etc.

2. My mice are currently on Aubiose for substrate. That'd be fine to keep on with for rats, wouldn't it? (For litter trays, with fleece for everything else.)

3. Is the Critter 3 a good cage? My buddy got one and is getting a bigger cage for himself, so he's willing to keep hold of his Critter for me until then and give it to me.

4. Are males or females generally suggested as beginner rats? I'm not new to rodents (I've had hamsters before and currently have four mice), but I've never had rats. I know 'male rats = lazy' and 'female rats = active' is a generalisation that's often bandied around, but is there truth to it in general?

5. Do rats themselves smell? Another friend's rats (three males) all apparently smell - themselves and their fur/skin as opposed to the cage or toys. I'd imagine that keeping them on a good, homemade food, good substrate, and daily cleaning of the litter tray (and weekly wiping down of the cage, washing the fleece, etc) would keep down smells other than any actually ratty-generated ones.

Big Bug Hug
Nov 19, 2002
I'm with stupid*
I can answer the last two questions with my opinions -

There is truth to the stereotypes of male rats/girl rats. I'm sure you get special cases but yes, most of the girl rats I've met have been energetic little things and the males much more laid back and lazy. They're both similar when they're babies. There's no beginner choice, though females tend to get more health problems. Get whichever you'd enjoy more :)

If you take them out of the cage and hold one to your nose, my rats smell like doritos. No joke. Its not offensive or strong. I would be curious what other people say, if other boy rats smell like this or if my rats are weirdos.

I honestly don't get the "rats smell" thing. The only rats I've seen that smell are ones straight from the pet shop (poor bedding, poor food and conditions).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amiss
Mar 9, 2006

Pestilence is the new pink.

Big Bug Hug posted:

If you take them out of the cage and hold one to your nose, my rats smell like doritos. No joke. Its not offensive or strong. I would be curious what other people say, if other boy rats smell like this or if my rats are weirdos.

My boys always smelled like tortilla or corn chips. :3:

I've heard ladyrats smell like grapes. Can anyone confirm/deny?