Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Well obviously you'll have to include Marmaduke in it somehow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nucular Carmul
Jan 26, 2005

Melongenidae incantatrix

Y-Hat posted:

Well obviously you'll have to include Marmaduke in it somehow.

Someone said he did so much coke his nipples turned into scabs and fell off.

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

It is a while still till Sunrise - and in the daytime I sleep, my dear fellow, I sleep the very deepest of sleeps...
If you already read Current Releases this week, take another look as a review of Take Shelter has just been added.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

You changed the movie of the week! I've wasted my movie dollars thanks to you!

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

It is a while still till Sunrise - and in the daytime I sleep, my dear fellow, I sleep the very deepest of sleeps...

Johnny Walker posted:

You changed the movie of the week! I've wasted my movie dollars thanks to you!

Oh well.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Professor Clumsy posted:

Oh well.

Here at Current Releases the customer is always right except when we say gently caress it. Then they aren't.

Dr. Witherbone
Nov 1, 2010

CHEESE LOOKS ON IN
DESPAIR BUT ALSO WITH
AN ERECTION
So...

so as someone who enjoys bad movies and satire when it's played straight, I should watch Twilight: Breaking Dawn?

I'm just so shocked to see an earnest endorsement of the film. I don't know what to say. The earlier ones weren't even fun to mock.

:stare:

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I'm with Vargo on this one. When you say that Condon perfectly pulls off an elaborate prank on the films target audience (I'm willing to bet that Pattinson and Kristen Stewart were in on it too), I'll take your word for it. However, Twilight fans don't see irony, even when it's explicitly spelled out to them. In that case, it's pretty much wasted. For the ten people who are willing to see it for that reason, however, they'll probably enjoy it.

I won't watch it when it's in theaters because gently caress shelling out $11.75 for a ticket.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Should I watch the other Twilight films first or can I just jump on Breaking Hymen?

I saw the first one, it was pretty naff.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Should I watch the other Twilight films first or can I just jump on Breaking Hymen?

Remember the long-haired Indian kid? He's a werewolf. You're good to go now.

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

Quantum of Phallus posted:

The answer to your dilemma seems to be mixed: With a couple exceptions, the only people I know who've enjoyed Breaking Dawn for the same reasons I did were those forced to suffer through the first three. Do so at your own peril.

It's hard to say what the target audience for Breaking Dawn is, and that just makes me admire it more. A sizable minority of the Friday-night theatergoers, who I assume were mostly Twilight fans, were laughing right along with me, so I think this is the movie that finally broke them.

FatmanSA
May 21, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

jeremy oval office posted:

With a couple exceptions, the only people I know who've enjoyed Breaking Dawn for the same reasons I did were those forced to suffer through the first three. Do so at your own peril.

Well, there's your problem.

I can't tell if the Current Releases reviewers are having a long, slow joke at the world's expense or if there's something to their theory. Either way I'm torn.

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

You need haters. Fellas if you got 20 haters, you need 40 of them motherfuckers. If there's any haters in here that don't have nobody to hate on, feel free to hate on me
Just wanted to chime in and say that the Twilight review had me giggling for like 20 minutes. I always really enjoy the movie reviews so great job to the movie review crew.

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Ta gueule, laisse-moi finir.
About the last release, what was the reasoning behind Ben Lyons proclaiming I Am Legend as required watching?

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Admiral Goodenough posted:

About the last release, what was the reasoning behind Ben Lyons
Stop right there. That's your answer.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Well you convinced me, i'm going to go watch Twilight. (also a column here in sweden said it was really really horribly misogynist so I want to see this)

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

About the last release, what was the reasoning behind Ben Lyons proclaiming I Am Legend as required watching?

It's Ben Lyons. He's just all around terrible.

Edit: Oh, beaten to it by Y-Hat: Ladykiller

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Here's his explanation:

Ben Lyons posted:

Lyons: Yes, I do. OK, listen I’m going to explain it to you. This is a film that I saw and it blew my head to bits and I grew up in New York and it looked unlike anything I had seen before and I grew up on Will Smith. I think it’s an emotional movie, it’s funny, it made 700 million dollars around the world and inspired a prequel so there’s obviously a connection that people have made to the story. There are certain movies that just speak to you and that’s a film that I connected with and I won’t (inaudible) hide my opinion when that’s what I’m being paid to do. I love that film. That film is awesome. Every time I watch that film I notice new stuff in it.
It made money so there. :colbert:

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Ta gueule, laisse-moi finir.
So his justification boils down to "it's cool"? :psyduck:

I'd never heard of this guy before, but I'm going to avoid him from here on.

Old Grasshopper
Apr 7, 2011

"Patience, young grasshopper."

jeremy oval office posted:

The answer to your dilemma seems to be mixed: With a couple exceptions, the only people I know who've enjoyed Breaking Dawn for the same reasons I did were those forced to suffer through the first three. Do so at your own peril.

Surely there's a youtube video that can summarize the plot "so far" in 3 minutes or less? Other than the teenage angst there isn't really that much else to Twilight.

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

DumbWhiteGuy posted:

Just wanted to chime in and say that the Twilight review had me giggling for like 20 minutes. I always really enjoy the movie reviews so great job to the movie review crew.
Aww, shucks. Vargo and ProfessorClumsy definitely helped me revise it for the better.

He's a loving moron.

Y-Hat posted:

Stop right there. That's your answer.
Beaten.

Affi posted:

Well you convinced me, i'm going to go watch Twilight. (also a column here in sweden said it was really really horribly misogynist so I want to see this)
Let us know what you thought!

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

Ben Lyons is one of those lazy critics who thinks is job is simply to have an opinion, rather than actually articulate it.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Well, I went to see Breaking Dawn today, funniest film I've seen all year.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
This is an entire website dedicated to hating Ben Lyons.

However, it hasn't updated since February. Perhaps Ben Lyons should be next to get the Mr. Movie treatment?

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...
Wow, Ben Lyons is only 30? I just sort of assumed he was some guy in the 45-60 age range, what with how vacuous some of his reviews tend to be.

But 30? Geez...

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~
Have you guys ever thought about proposing to Sr. Lowtax doing something like the A.V. Club where you can do more serious writing and other entertainment coverage? That way there's not such a huge connect between it and the rest of the site's content.

Also, did any of you guys end up seeing Jack and Jill?

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...

Sheldrake posted:

Have you guys ever thought about proposing to Sr. Lowtax doing something like the A.V. Club where you can do more serious writing and other entertainment coverage? That way there's not such a huge connect between it and the rest of the site's content.

Also, did any of you guys end up seeing Jack and Jill?

I think it'd be really cool if we could get Current Releases, Awful Video Games and some other columns/projects like Friday Night Death Slot (TV IV's television blog) under one roof. An Awful Media Network, if you will.

It's not such a bad idea, if you ask me.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Jay Dub posted:

[The Muppets] isn't wall-to-wall slapsticky musical nonsense like some other films currently in theaters
The only negative review I've seen of this movie (in The Village Voice) says that it is exactly this, and that it loses a lot of the charm of the first Muppet movies and the TV show (one of the examples he gives is that in those incarnations, the Muppets are viewed as just normal people by human actors and not oversized puppets). After reading that review, I thought, "I don't give a poo poo what he said, I'm still watching this." And why not? It's the friggin' Muppets, what's not to love?

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...

Y-Hat posted:

The only negative review I've seen of this movie (in The Village Voice) says that it is exactly this, and that it loses a lot of the charm of the first Muppet movies and the TV show (one of the examples he gives is that in those incarnations, the Muppets are viewed as just normal people by human actors and not oversized puppets). After reading that review, I thought, "I don't give a poo poo what he said, I'm still watching this." And why not? It's the friggin' Muppets, what's not to love?

He must've taken a lot of pee breaks through all the talky parts, then, because there's a lot of downtime in the movie. The entire middle of the film is almost entirely character and plot stuff, so either he went out for a smoke after 30 minutes or he just blacked out.

Danzou
Oct 24, 2010

by angerbot
Jonah Hill's reasonably funny? Catch Allen Greggory tonight, see if you don't change your mind.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
Regarding New Year's Eve: So the Pfeiffer character's resolutions were all about visiting tourist spots? Nothing regarding self-improvement?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Why do the expectations for New Year's Eve end halfway through a sentence?

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

goatface posted:

Why do the expectations for New Year's Eve end halfway through a sentence?
Because words are wasted on such a terrible film, I guess.

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

Huh... That's weird. That shouldn't be there at all.

Bedevere
Jun 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
The Pfeiffer office scenes were shot at the EMI Publishing offices in NY over a two week period. It was pretty annoying to people who actually work there because Pfeiffer didn't want anyone to actually look at her while she did her scenes, and no one was allowed to move around when she was there. It was even more aggravating because they built a whole office inside an office smack dab in the middle of the actual office space leading everyone to wonder why they didn't just use a sound stage since there was almost nothing of the actual office space showing in the movie.

Also the entire conversations of every person was recorded separately and edited together. Meaning any shot of Pfeiffer talking to Effron, or anyone else, literally never took place, but was edited together after the fact. They never even appeared on the set on the same days, leading me to wonder if conversations are pieced together ala Lucas camera 1 to camera 2 style.

Effron was pretty cool and actually hung out and let the ladies chat him up.

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

I don't like the idea of Michelle Pfeiffer being a crazy botox lady, but there you go.

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

Sheldrake posted:

I kind of like that idea, too, but I am saying it in a very tiny voice because it probably goes against The Grand Scheme.

Danzou, how much of the blame for Allen Gregory do you lay at Jonah Hill's feet? It's abysmal but I keep wanting to excuse him from some of it. I won't see The Sitter in the theater, but I'll watch eventually. He's kind of funny to me in small doses though I'm most likely broken.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

We have a PODCAST now.

If we ever do any more, you can subscribe here, or here.

Vargo fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Dec 13, 2011

Complexcalibur
Mar 11, 2007

NUOOOOAAAGH
If Mister Smythe doesn't make an appearance I'm not downloading it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

You need haters. Fellas if you got 20 haters, you need 40 of them motherfuckers. If there's any haters in here that don't have nobody to hate on, feel free to hate on me
Kind of disappointed that there was no Mission Impossible review this week :smith:

• Locked thread