Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cornface
Dec 28, 2006

by Lowtax

zoux posted:

Peep Show was just added itself, and it's one of the funniest shows I've ever seen.

It doesn't really ever stop being funny, either, even though it has been going for quite a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

rawrr posted:

Lust, Caution http://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/Lust_Caution/70059999?trkid=2361637

Really well paced, intense, and acting by Wei Tang is phenomenal in its nuance.

I'll second that - it's an amazing film. I'm not a huge Ang Lee fan but I loved Lust, Caution.

Also Insidious was pretty meh even though so many people insisted that I watch it. I'm a horror movie junkie so it would have come around eventually but I felt pretty underwhelmed. It wasn't the worst thing I've seen but it did not live up to the hype at all.

vv And here I thought the only one who thought the rear end in a top hat looked like Darth Maul! :downs:

Caitlin has a new favorite as of 04:49 on Nov 15, 2011

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.

Captain Stinkybutt posted:

Also Insidious was pretty meh even though so many people insisted that I watch it. I'm a horror movie junkie so it would have come around eventually but I felt pretty underwhelmed. It wasn't the worst thing I've seen but it did not live up to the hype at all.

When you see the actual ghost, I just lost my poo poo. I don't even know if I should spoiler this, but the dude looks like darth maul! And the way they tried to write jokes into the movie (the 2 "ghostbuster" dudes) was just ridiculous.

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.

cornface posted:

It doesn't really ever stop being funny, either, even though it has been going for quite a while.

I haven't seen at least the most recent season (if not more by now), but I think I started to feel too sorry for Jeremy and Mark to enjoy the show. It really ramps up the making GBS threads on them as the series progresses. Id still easily recommend at least the first couple seasons anyways.

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.
Just finished with Howl's Moving Castle last night. I have enjoyed all of the dudes stuff that made it, sadly netflix does not offer them streaming. Any other movies or shows that fit the same feel or theme his stuff does?

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

zoux posted:

Peep Show was just added itself, and it's one of the funniest shows I've ever seen.

Father Ted is also up. Good Brig comedy from the 90s.

particle409
Jan 15, 2008

Thou bootless clapper-clawed varlot!
Is there a day of the week when stuff gets added to Netflix? It seems like nothing new has been added for some time now.

ThriceBakedPotato
Oct 25, 2010

by T. Butt

particle409 posted:

Is there a day of the week when stuff gets added to Netflix? It seems like nothing new has been added for some time now.

It used to be a mega-dump on the 1st of the month and then a trickle throughout. Now it's more spaced out.

November has kind of sucked so far, honestly.

Saucy Slit
Jul 27, 2011
Finally.

DARK DAYS is available. (docum. on people living in the NYC underground rail system, DJ Shadow on soundtrack).

And everyone should check out..... Fubar: Balls to The Wall.

Apparently it's a sequel but doesn't play like one. It's been compared to TPB, but I actually think it's way funnier. I went in skeptical due to the tacky cover and was so happy I watched it. It's been less than a week and I've seen it 3x already. Very quotable. (The main guy is the Austrian musician singer from It's All Gone Pete Tong). Great comedy!

cornface
Dec 28, 2006

by Lowtax

Saucy Slit posted:

Finally.

DARK DAYS is available. (docum. on people living in the NYC underground rail system, DJ Shadow on soundtrack).

This is one of the coolest documentaries I've seen. You should watch The Secret of NIMH first, though.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

particle409 posted:

Just subscribe to their RSS feed, shows you whatever new movies are added as soon as they're added.

http://www.netflix.com/RSSFeeds

cornface
Dec 28, 2006

by Lowtax

Medullah posted:

Just subscribe to their RSS feed, shows you whatever new movies are added as soon as they're added.

http://www.netflix.com/RSSFeeds

Or if you don't hate yourself use Instant Watcher.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
Late Night thread fave Craig Ferguson wrote and starred in a 2000 film called Saving Grace which is now on instant. Saw it with the missus last night, it was pretty good.

11b1p
Feb 5, 2008

This picture is worth 20 words or something.
They just added Limitless

teknetik
Jan 13, 2010

SO
JEWISH
The Vice Guide series is pretty crazy. I've only watched two episodes (Liberia and North Korea) and it was pretty drat terrifying. It's up on Netflix till the 1st.

Stayne Falls
Aug 11, 2007
Everything was beautiful

11b1p posted:

They just added Limitless

Also Take Me Home Tonight, that 80s Topher Grace movie.

cornface
Dec 28, 2006

by Lowtax

teknetik posted:

The Vice Guide series is pretty crazy. I've only watched two episodes (Liberia and North Korea) and it was pretty drat terrifying. It's up on Netflix till the 1st.

Yes, these are awesome. If you want to see more of them there are some on their website that aren't on Netflix. All of them are worth watching. I think they probably have to check their balls as oversized luggage before they board the planes.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

I don't think this has been posted.

The National Geographic movie, Life in a Day is on now. It's incredibly compelling and I would love to have an entire channel like this.

spite house
Apr 28, 2009

Dewp posted:

Buck is an awesome documentary about Buck Brannaman, the man who helped inspire "The Horse Whisperer". The movie is less about horses than it is about this complex man who is amazing at his job. Won some stuff at Sundance, and has a decent-length interview with Robert Redford. I can't think of many audiences that wouldn't enjoy this film - watch it.

Buck
Thanks so much for this recommendation. What an amazing film. Really thought-provoking stuff and entertaining and funny as well.

SolidHavoc
Jul 16, 2003

cornface posted:

Yes, these are awesome. If you want to see more of them there are some on their website that aren't on Netflix. All of them are worth watching. I think they probably have to check their balls as oversized luggage before they board the planes.

I enjoyed these films, but I have no idea how they can be billed as journalism. To me, it was just a hipster film crew that decided to travel to countries they thought might be sketchy. It's like suburban people who live in ghettos just for the sake of living in a ghetto. There were a lot of really cool people and things that they filmed with a TON of wasted opportunities for awesome discussions, instead focusing on "what kind of booze do you drink here" types of bullshit

rawrr
Jul 28, 2007

SolidHavoc posted:

I enjoyed these films, but I have no idea how they can be billed as journalism. To me, it was just a hipster film crew that decided to travel to countries they thought might be sketchy. It's like suburban people who live in ghettos just for the sake of living in a ghetto. There were a lot of really cool people and things that they filmed with a TON of wasted opportunities for awesome discussions, instead focusing on "what kind of booze do you drink here" types of bullshit

Why so serious?

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the Universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark.
Lipstick Apathy

me your dad posted:

I don't think this has been posted.

The National Geographic movie, Life in a Day is on now. It's incredibly compelling and I would love to have an entire channel like this.

I'm watching this right now and was very excited to see Roanoke's Center in the Square parking garage. That's home!

vvv Ha! I guess I did word that funnily! vvv

Geolicious has a new favorite as of 16:28 on Nov 26, 2011

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Geolicious posted:

I'm watching this right now and was very excited to see Roanoke's Center in the Square parking garage. That's home!

Aww I'm sorry to hear that man. Nobody should have to live in a parking garage, especially in the holiday season.

SolidHavoc
Jul 16, 2003

rawrr posted:

Why so serious?

Because it is insulting to visit war-torn, impoverished countries to tour them for hipster cred? Seriously, 60% of these films were the journalist describing to the camera how "sketchy" the place they were in was.

cornface
Dec 28, 2006

by Lowtax

SolidHavoc posted:

Because it is insulting to visit war-torn, impoverished countries to tour them for hipster cred? Seriously, 60% of these films were the journalist describing to the camera how "sketchy" the place they were in was.

Did you get all mad and self-righteous when Louis Theroux went to South Africa, too?

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

Did they just put How I Met Your Mother up on instant or was my roommate right when he said it had been up there for a while?

because I've been watching it all day today instead of playing Skryim.

ExCruceLeo
Oct 4, 2003

I'll choose the truth I like.
I remember looking for it a couple months ago with no luck. This is good news

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

OgreNoah posted:

Did they just put How I Met Your Mother up on instant or was my roommate right when he said it had been up there for a while?

Its showing as DVD Only for me, same as it always has.

Also I've noticed recently that they're mixing dvd only results in with the regular listings while browsing.

Homeybeef
May 23, 2008

OgreNoah posted:

Oh poo poo. 6 seasons on watch instant. I just started getting into this show. Watching re-runs as they're on.

I guess I'll have something to watch while Community is gone from television.

BeeZee142
Sep 26, 2007
If you need a film to watch with your parents and they're all "Let's watch a Christmas movie!*!~~~!!", then you should watch Nativity! It's with Martin Freeman and is a British movie about a teacher putting on a school nativity play to sorta try and win back his old girlfriend. It's really great and a nice change of pace from normal "CHRISTMAS!" movies. (It's also better than all the ABC Family Christmas crap that they have on Netflix at the moment.) Check it out. A bit warm and fuzzy for the typical goony tastes, but very very funny.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
Not sure about other instant viewing devices, but Netflix on 360 now has dozens titles on it that say "DVD ONLY." You can't watch them or interact with them at all. They just sit in the various categories taking up space and taunting you because they aren't available on streaming. Monumentally stupid.

In other news, last years season of Burn Notice got added to the instant queue.

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Lawlicaust posted:

Not sure about other instant viewing devices, but Netflix on 360 now has dozens titles on it that say "DVD ONLY." You can't watch them or interact with them at all. They just sit in the various categories taking up space and taunting you because they aren't available on streaming. Monumentally stupid.

As the GBS Netflix thread said best:

TheJoker138 posted:

Netflix says you won't be able to see stuff on DVD on the streaming site: people freak the gently caress out.

Netflix makes it easier to see stuff on DVD on a streaming app: people freak the gently caress out.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
How I Met Your Mother is DVD only on my XBox, but I just streamed it on my laptop

:confused:

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Spoeank posted:

How I Met Your Mother is DVD only on my XBox, but I just streamed it on my laptop

:confused:

Yeah after my posts last night I was surprised to find I could stream HIMYM from my phone but its sill DVD only on Xbox.

Tolstoi
Apr 3, 2001

jojoinnit posted:

Yeah after my posts last night I was surprised to find I could stream HIMYM from my phone but its sill DVD only on Xbox.

I wonder, do they do this for all streaming devices? Could you watch it on a PS3 or Wii, but not the 360?

I've noticed a bunch of movies being DVD only on my 360 of late that I can stream right to my desktop/laptop. It's kind of irritating to be on a streaming only plan yet being unable to stream to the one device I actually want to watch something on.

elf pr0n
Oct 13, 2002

They fucking better have lemon cakes.
I'm watching it right now on my roku

Tailwhoop
Oct 18, 2008

Luigi to Kobe's Mario.
It's a bug. It happens. It will be fixed in the near future. (Netflix, a "gently caress you" in advance if you make me eat my words.)

waspinator
Oct 18, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Sometimes you have to add them to instant via netflix.com website instead of on your console, give it a shot like that.

e: nm, now that's not working for me.

waspinator has a new favorite as of 20:45 on Nov 30, 2011

Tailwhoop
Oct 18, 2008

Luigi to Kobe's Mario.
I actually just watched four episodes recently today, took a break from it, got back on netflix only to find that it was back on DVD only. Not exactly sure what's going on with it, but they'd best fix it soon. I like the show. :argh:

Tailwhoop has a new favorite as of 01:36 on Dec 1, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThriceBakedPotato
Oct 25, 2010

by T. Butt

Tolstoi posted:

I wonder, do they do this for all streaming devices? Could you watch it on a PS3 or Wii, but not the 360?

I've noticed a bunch of movies being DVD only on my 360 of late that I can stream right to my desktop/laptop. It's kind of irritating to be on a streaming only plan yet being unable to stream to the one device I actually want to watch something on.

This appears to be a new thing. It was always just 2 tiers.

-Available on physical media

-Available streaming

~~~~~

Now there appears to be separate streaming tiers, or a lovely bug.

I can watch poo poo on PC/Roku but not on the 360 app? I assume other implementations as well. I can find technical workarounds, sure, but why should I have to? They shouldn't care if I'm using a game console or a web browser.

This is exactly what made me quit Hulu Plus after about 3 months.

• Locked thread