Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

ExcessBLarg! posted:

You can turn auto-correction off.

I'm drunk quite a bit and need it. I could never get Swype's autocorrect to find a happy balance between deciphering my inebriated attempts at the English language and converting it to moon language. I always fall back on the 2.3 AOSP keyboard.

Edit: To be fair I could drink less but I'm fairly sure that my poor grasp on the English language would still get converted to moon language. Swype! :argh:

Maker Of Shoes fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Nov 14, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

You people drink like you don't want to live!

VibrioCholera posted:

I love it and used it for nearly a year but I've given it up in recent days for the stock Gingerbread one. I spent too much time fighting with it and found more often than not it just loved guessing the wrong word. It was usually easily pressed on the word list but I type a lot of words that aren't in the library and don't like how it constantly auto corrects them and I had to use magical backspacing pressing methods to get words to stick. Doing any kind of search or web site URL was atrocious.

Stock android in landscape mode is nearly as fast and I think my friends appreciate not having to read typos that aren't even close to the real word due to auto correct. :) My mom loves SwiftKey X but she doesn't type fast enough to actually need multitouch out of her keyboard.

You may have been using an old version. The latest beta of Swype has the easiest way of adding new words or typing new words manually without adding to the dictionary. For example:

If you manually type in a word that it doesn't know, you just have to hit the word in the suggested choices. After clicking the word, if you want to add it to the dictionary for swyping, you just have to click the add to dictionary link as seen below:

isochronous
Jul 15, 2001

*Golf Clap*

Maker Of Shoes posted:

I'm drunk quite a bit and need it.

If your primary factor in picking out a keyboard is how well you can type on it drunk because you're drunk "quite a bit" I'm not even sure what to tell you because WHAT THE gently caress.

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

isochronous posted:

If your primary factor in picking out a keyboard is how well you can type on it drunk because you're drunk "quite a bit" I'm not even sure what to tell you because WHAT THE gently caress.

It's actually pretty important for me, and I hardly have a problem with alcohol.

I like getting drunk with friends on weekends so it's nice to not sound like a retarded drunk when I'm texting people during that time.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

isochronous posted:

I'm firmly in MoS's camp here, but I type well while drunk so Swype is okay for me.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
I found that ditching the suggestion words entirely freed up too much valuable real estate, I can never go back.

scarymonkey
Jul 15, 2003

by angerbeet
Swype is the default keyboard on the Sprint Epic Touch 4G (Galaxy S2 Phone) and most people I know who have the phone aren't even aware of the Swype capability, they just peck at it like a normal touch keyboard.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

isochronous posted:

The quite a bit part was a joke and by "it" and mean prediction. :v:

Realistically, I'm a sloppy typist either on or off the sauce and more often than not I'm constantly having to babysit Swype with its goofy as poo poo prediction and spell check. The AOSP keyboard does a decent enough job at it, is multitouch at a level that lets me just bang out key presses like a boss and I just plain can't live without the punctuation bar after a space. Between that and speech-to-text (which is voodoo levels of good IMO) the AOSP keyboard is perfect.

I'm a keyboard slut though. I've bought all the big named ones and I've been in the Swype beta since day one. They all stay installed and I try out all the updates to all of them as they roll out but after a week I'm always back on AOSP. I do have to wonder if any of the current gen Google keyboard or the revamped ICS keyboard have any enhancements from the now bought out and dead BlindType. After the buyout there wasn't a single peep about it.

Edit: Actually I use a modified version of the AOSP keyboard. It's got a few nice tweaks that stock doesn't have.

Maker Of Shoes fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Nov 14, 2011

thescience
Jul 18, 2006

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Quickoffice Pro is the free Amazon app of the day. I'd still prefer it be Docs to Go, but this is still a pretty good deal.

I just bought my first android phone (an atrix 2) and it came preloaded with a version of quickoffice. I can create and edit documents with it and it doesn't seem to be trialware; so is it the same thing or am I missing some feature somewhere?

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
That means Motorola paid for it for you, you're good to go. Don't delete it, because it's not on your list of Paid apps on your Google account.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!
Another Amazon Store question. I got Diner Dash 2 when it was a free app, played it a bit, got a new phone and tried to install it there. Then I saw that the app is now listed as unavailable. (http://www.amazon.com/Glu-Mobile-Inc-Diner-Dash/dp/B004HXHE96)

Since I got it for free, I really don't care, but what about the people who paid for it? How does that bode for things to come?

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

GigaPeon posted:

Since I got it for free, I really don't care, but what about the people who paid for it? How does that bode for things to come?

It screws them. Hope the dev is open minded.

scarymonkey
Jul 15, 2003

by angerbeet
One of the things I really liked on my TouchPad in WebOS was the keyboard, especially the dedicated numbers row. Closest I can get on Android is the free Hacker's Keyboard, which works fairly well. Another thing I like about Hacker's keyboard is that it doesn't autocapitalize the first letter of a word, on most Android keyboards they do it in a way where if you want the first letter to be lower case it's either a hassle or practically impossible.

GigaPeon posted:

Another Amazon Store question. I got Diner Dash 2 when it was a free app, played it a bit, got a new phone and tried to install it there. Then I saw that the app is now listed as unavailable. (http://www.amazon.com/Glu-Mobile-Inc-Diner-Dash/dp/B004HXHE96)

It's up to the Dev. I've seen a case where a Dev decided not to list his app on Amazon anymore. The dev asked previous purchasers to send him an email / copy of the app purchase receipt to arrange for a copy to be sent.

scarymonkey fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Nov 15, 2011

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

scarymonkey posted:

One of the things I really liked on my TouchPad in WebOS was the keyboard, especially the dedicated numbers row.

The other thing I like besides Hackers is Thumb Keyboard, same reasons: dedicated numbers and arrows. Hackers is a little big for me but I really like it. Thumb is shaped better.

e: Hey goons, is there any potential downside to Google Music? IIRC the internet was up in arms originally about the possibility of getting screwed over :filez:, did that pan out?

I jumped on the Amazon MP3 Cloud thing when it came out and that's turned out to be a complete waste of $20 because nothing plays on any of my devices (including my FIOS-ed PC) for longer than a few seconds at a time due to I guess lovely buffering. I was all about "oh it's growing pains for a new service, it'll get better" but it's been a couple months and nothing's improved. So now I'm investigating other options.

Splizwarf fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Nov 15, 2011

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Splizwarf posted:

e: Hey goons, is there any potential downside to Google Music? IIRC the internet was up in arms originally about the possibility of getting screwed over :filez:, did that pan out?

The only down side I've seen is that the app is clunky but that's fixed by installing the ICS Music leak.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Maker Of Shoes posted:

The only down side I've seen is that the app is clunky but that's fixed by installing the ICS Music leak.

That and its probably about to start costing money.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
If that means better/increased functionality, I'm down. Some things are worth money.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
Can't see it costing more than Amazon without a big unrevealed hook so I guess that's okay either way.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

scarymonkey posted:

Swype is the default keyboard on the Sprint Epic Touch 4G (Galaxy S2 Phone) and most people I know who have the phone aren't even aware of the Swype capability, they just peck at it like a normal touch keyboard.

I specifically turned on Swype on my S2 and I still do a mix of peck and actual swiping. I can't get used to not hitting the spacebar between words.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Athenry posted:

That and its probably about to start costing money.

I've wondered about this and if there is any chance that the people that have been part of the beta would be grandfathered in. That would be really nice. BUT, I'd be willing to pay for it.

Regarding Swype, I'm also a huge fan. The latest beta is miles beyond the standard, built in version though.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
How much storage space does Google Music give you? I'm not surprised at all that they would charge for a service that must be taking up a shitload of server space and bandwidth.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Inspector_71 posted:

How much storage space does Google Music give you? I'm not surprised at all that they would charge for a service that must be taking up a shitload of server space and bandwidth.

20,000 songs x 250MB per song.

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

and that's how you get ants.

Butt Soup Barnes posted:

it's nice to not sound like a retarded drunk when I'm texting people during that time.

this is what Swype did for me one night after releasing the Kraken (rum)..

Apparently I was laying on a couch with my hand hanging off the side swyping away with just my thumb thinking I was making perfectly coherent messages. I blame it for being so accurate when I'm sober giving me false confidence.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

A while back someone posted an app that locks out your text messaging for a certain period, meant to be used when you know you're going to get drunk. I think you guys could benefit from that more than a better keyboard.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

Athenry posted:

20,000 songs x 250MB per song.

250MB per song? This must be a typo, right?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

notZaar posted:

250MB per song? This must be a typo, right?

No. Your songs are allowed to be as big as 250 MB, this covers things like continuous dj sets and the like.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Cakefool posted:

A while back someone posted an app that locks out your text messaging for a certain period, meant to be used when you know you're going to get drunk. I think you guys could benefit from that more than a better keyboard.
This is built in to CM7.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Install Gentoo posted:

No. Your songs are allowed to be as big as 250 MB, this covers things like continuous dj sets and the like.

Yeah, that's what I'd guess. The number's from here: http://www.google.com/support/music/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=1143668&topic=1234613

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
That's a loving nice thing to hear, actually, since Amazon's service that I actually paid for has unlimited songs but something retarded like a 20mb cap on any one file; at that point it's not just DJ sets and live music that's hosed, it's songs over 5 minutes like the Planisphere series and stuff.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Netflix has been updated with a Tablet optimized layout.

http://www.androidcentral.com/netflix-launches-redesign-android-tablet-app

For once, Android gets the tablet optimized layout before iOS.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006
Does that mean it works on all HC devices now? That may have happened a while ago though, not sure.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Codiusprime posted:

Does that mean it works on all HC devices now? That may have happened a while ago though, not sure.

Yeah, that happened awhile ago.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Any recommendations for a widget pack that is very similar to Glass Widgets, with some more options? Looking for one that will give me a weather widget without a clock attached to it, preferably. Also would like if it had a battery percentage readout, and perhaps data in/out for both wifi and cell. The more content options the better I guess, just looking for something that will give me that really simple translucent grey background and simple white text/graphics, and that can cleanly be resized to span the width of the screen (using GOLauncher EX on an EVO 3D).

sirbeefalot fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Nov 15, 2011

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

I sometimes watch online courses (lynda.com) on my Android 3.2 tablet. I can't seem to find anyway to fullscreen the flash video. Is there an app/alternative browser that will allow me to do this?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

IT Guy posted:

I sometimes watch online courses (lynda.com) on my Android 3.2 tablet. I can't seem to find anyway to fullscreen the flash video. Is there an app/alternative browser that will allow me to do this?

If you long press on the applet, does a bar appear across the top with a rectangle on the left? If you press that it should go fullscreen. On some of them you can also double-tap the applet.

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

If you long press on the applet, does a bar appear across the top with a rectangle on the left? If you press that it should go fullscreen. On some of them you can also double-tap the applet.

Boom, thanks.

MAJOR STRYkER
Jan 2, 2008

FIFTY THOUSAND PEOPLE USED TO LIVE HERE...

Inspector_71 posted:

Yea I was sort of amazed when it let me up my entire library (although it took forever). It's gonna be cool once they have all your music and have you sucking off their teet then institute a monthly fee.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
I want a photo-editing app so I can take a picture, crop it to web-friendly size, and upload to tumblr or facebook or whatever right from my phone.

I need that app to have a user-selectable crop size -- Photoshop Express seems to have the smaller dimension hard-coded to be 562px when it crops, and that just won't do (I've got an idea to treat my Evo3D as a TLR and make square pictures, and I want them to be at least 800px wide because anything less is just silly these days). Ability to add borders is a plus. And of course I don't want to pay for it.

Does such a thing exist?

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
What is there in the way of music players that 1) won't require good tags and 2) respects directories. Optional: 3) has an EQ.

Mixzing used to be good for this but it's become lovely in recent updates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

Splizwarf posted:

What is there in the way of music players that 1) won't require good tags and 2) respects directories. Optional: 3) has an EQ.

Subsonic is good at all 3 of those, but its a streamer and requires you to setup a server. (it caches as straight mp3 and can play from definable size cache offline) The directories it respects is your own music directory tree at home. It keeps the same dir structure in the cache. I love it. Xvid/mkv/wmv/whatever conversion to flash streaming also.

The tiny bit (literally just a few minutes) I played around with miui player it seemed like it wasn't tag reliant, did directories too.

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Nov 15, 2011

• Locked thread