Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

soggybagel posted:

I've gotten exactly one penalty my entire playing career for tripping.

First season: I took a handful, maybe 10 minutes over the course of the whole season. Mostly because I couldn't skate and would fall into people/goalies.
Second season: 2 minutes in the final game of the season. Completely intentional so I didn't get the team Lady Byng.
This/Third season: 4 minutes.

I can't stand people who take stupid penalties every game, especially when they're retaliation and cancel out a PP. I feel like some games 90% of my shifts are on the PK and it drives me nuts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Seems like every team's got one or two of those guys. We have two players who are guaranteed to take at least a couple of penalties per game.

What's crazy is that players like this can't seem to get their heads around the fact that they're dicks. They conceptually understand that they have too many penalty minutes, but they can't for the life of them understand why they get so many calls. In retrospect, or in the heat of the moment for each call they feel their actions are completely and unequivocally justified:

"Oh, but that guy totally took a run at me! So of course I'm going to swing my stick at his head. I mean, if the ref isn't going to call their bullshit!!!"

"Oh, but he cross-checked me in front of the crease!"

"Whatever! That ref's a douchebag."

:psyduck:

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you
I get penalties not because I'm playing dirty but because of crazy luck.

Last game I was trying to clear the puck out of our zone so I took a hard shot up the boards, I had my stick out in front of me on the follow-through and a guy on the other team skated right into it and tripped. 3min for tripping.

I've gotten some for pushing a guy in front of our net which I'll take 100% of the time because it's worse to let a guy camp out in front of your net. Plus usually most of our ref's won't call that poo poo.

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

It's Playoff Beard Time! Go Pens!
This one team in my league who celebrates every goal like its the Cup Finals started having their few girlfriends bring airhorns to the games for goals. They were also yelling at other teams players over the glass. This is also the team that tries to fight people every single game. Hopefully they are somehow thrown out of the league next season.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Thufir posted:

I'm pretty sure there's some widespread neurological disorder that effects hockey players where they can sit on the bench and not only conceptually grasp the benefits of short shifts, getting the puck deep, and wingers covering the points in the defensive end; but also loudly extoll the virtue of such behaviors. Yet, as soon as they step on the ice they proceed to take 4:00 shifts, abandon the point, and futz around with the puck in the neutral zone. Probably caused by inhaling too much Zamboni exhaust.

Yeah I dunno. I'm faster than everyone on my team (they are all terrible) and I love forechecking so maybe instead of a 6th turnover at the blueline which basically gives them the entire neutral zone they should let me try to create a turnover in the offensive zone or force them to take a faceoff down there. Or worst case force a bad pass that we can pick off in the neutral zone.

Seriously, I don't get it.

We won in OT 6-5 so it was a "great game" and "we really came together" and "played a lot better" etc etc etc

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

real_scud posted:

Last game I was trying to clear the puck out of our zone so I took a hard shot up the boards, I had my stick out in front of me on the follow-through and a guy on the other team skated right into it and tripped. 3min for tripping.

First of all, 3 minutes? Weird.

Secondly, that's the worst call ever.

Tank44
Jun 13, 2005

We want the ball & We're going to score
Can anyone recommend a good hockey bag? with or without wheels....

I bought one about 10 years ago at costco that was durable and lasted until last Christmas. I got a new Easton one at xmas and within 2 weeks the entire top was ripped apart as it came away from the stiches & zipper. I then bought another at costco that lasted one game before my skate with guard on went through the side. So I am back using my 10-year old bag that has no holes just no working zippers.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

3 minutes in a beer league with running clock is pretty standard.

Seconding the call for a good bag -- my Jofa bag has no long strap and I miss that about my old easton bag.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES
I have a great bag, but the clips on the long strap are broken, and I really just want a new long strap. I don't seem to be able to find just a strap though. Seriously annoying.

Re: Douchey teammates. I just got invited onto my friend's league team a couple weeks ago. In my second game with them, one of our teammates got thrown out of the game, and is potentially also receiving a five game suspension, because he just absolutely refused to stop trying to get the last word with a ref. He was continually warned.

Ref: "I'm telling you, if you don't be quiet I'm going to toss you. I'm not messing around."
Idiot: "I'm just saying, you're not calling their penalties. We never had any trouble playing with the other refs."
Ref: "Last warning."
Idiot: "Just do your job. Call all the penalties."
Ref: "Get off the ice, you're done."

The headed off the ice, and right before he exited the door, he turned around and called the ref a dumb motherfucker. Five games.

I get that the ref was just flexing nuts (apparently, a lot of these guys went to high school together and kind of hate each other), but seriously, don't gently caress over the rest of your team by taking yourself off the ice. We were then down to 2 subs on the bench. Ugh.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

lazerwolf posted:

First of all, 3 minutes? Weird.

Secondly, that's the worst call ever.

I will present you with two better calls:

1) In my very first organized roller season, in attempt to get by me, an opposing player lifted my stick with his hand and tried to throw it over his head - instead hurtling it right into his face. What has two thumbs and a high-sticking penalty? This guy.

2) A friend of mine was called for high-sticking based on SOUND. Yes, fielding all of our unbelievable stares a the stoppage of play, he actually said, "I didn't see it - but I heard it!" The sound? My friend hitting himself in the cage during a battle for the puck along the boards.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Ref wasn't doing anything but maintaining control of the game. If he doesn't it becomes a free-for-all.

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.
I hate 2 week layoffs between games. And this is the 3rd one I've had to endure this season! It mostly sucks because the majority of the guys on my team do not practice so they come out after 2 weeks of not skating or anything hockey related and stink up the joint.

poser
Jun 9, 2002

Are they booing the power play?

I was saying Boo-urns!

trilljester posted:

I hate 2 week layoffs between games. And this is the 3rd one I've had to endure this season! It mostly sucks because the majority of the guys on my team do not practice so they come out after 2 weeks of not skating or anything hockey related and stink up the joint.

The schedule this season is terrible between now and Jan 2nd we have 5 games. I play fulltime on my team and part time on another and I have played 2 games this month, it sucks.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

sellouts posted:

3 minutes in a beer league with running clock is pretty standard.

Seconding the call for a good bag -- my Jofa bag has no long strap and I miss that about my old easton bag.

I presume this is roller then? I have never in my life seen a 3-minute penalty.

Also, RBK 5K Bag. It's...er....decent.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.
Have all y'all who are looking for a new bag considered a backpack, or do you only want the duffel style?

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

If I put all of my hockey stuff into my backpack where will I keep my Dunkaroos?

I was going to miss a game this weekend due to a knee injury but the game was canceled, apparently! Hooray!

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Dangerllama posted:

I presume this is roller then? I have never in my life seen a 3-minute penalty.

Also, RBK 5K Bag. It's...er....decent.

Ice hockey. I have no idea what those roller losers do.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

sellouts posted:

Ref wasn't doing anything but maintaining control of the game. If he doesn't it becomes a free-for-all.
Which speaking of I wished one of the two refs we had in a game yesterday would've done. The game was 1-1 for most of the game, during the 3rd the other team started getting chippy.

Clearly playing the body etc. The final straw was when a guy on the captain of the team cleared the puck out of the zone, person on the other team decides to 'finish his check' and drive him into the boards. He gets up livid and yells at the ref asking where the call was. The ref had been looking at them both and did nothing, so the captain proceeds to barrel straight at the guy and basically falls right into him, knocking him into another player and all 3 guys go down.

He stands up and the ref didn't actually call a penalty for a few seconds because you could tell he had hosed up the no-call before, so he calls a checking penalty on our captain. As the captain is going to the box he said to the ref "This is your fault by not making the right calls" because he clearly had no control on the game and the final 2 minutes of the game were just a plethora of things that should've been called but by then all control had been lost.

And yes it's 3min penalties for running clock for our ice leagues. We only go to stopped time during the final 5 minutes of the 3rd period or for any playoff game.

Evil Mother Teresa
Sep 16, 2007

Dangerllama posted:

Seems like every team's got one or two of those guys. We have two players who are guaranteed to take at least a couple of penalties per game.

What's crazy is that players like this can't seem to get their heads around the fact that they're dicks. They conceptually understand that they have too many penalty minutes, but they can't for the life of them understand why they get so many calls. In retrospect, or in the heat of the moment for each call they feel their actions are completely and unequivocally justified:

"Oh, but that guy totally took a run at me! So of course I'm going to swing my stick at his head. I mean, if the ref isn't going to call their bullshit!!!"

"Oh, but he cross-checked me in front of the crease!"

"Whatever! That ref's a douchebag."

:psyduck:

Don't even try to rationalize this. I played on a team that was entirely comprised of goons who were completely oblivious to the fact that they were goons. Every time someone made the slightest amount of contact they were "throwing cheapshots," and the only way to react to this was by cross-checking them in the back as hard as they could. And yet every game the other team was full of scumbags who dove, and the refs were dicks who just hated us. What a coincidence! Surely a consistent twenty minutes in penalties per game couldn't be a sign that we were playing like assholes. Right?

Eventually someone fought two guys at the same time (he got into a fight every game yet never got suspended), at which point I gave up.

WouldDesk
Dec 26, 2009

the last signal... posted:

A 16 year old kid from my city is in pretty bad shape after taking a puck to the neck while blocking a shot:

News Link

This was midget so they would have been wearing cages and neckguards. Sad stuff. :(

He died. Did he survive, and then the article was written while he was in the hospital before he passed? I ask because the link now clearly says he passed away.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

If anyone in SoCal is interested in trying out ice hockey, let me know. The private drop in I skate in is starting a 30 minute "intro to hockey" before every 60 minute pick up. Super casual, free skate rental, and we're growing a "community locker" of equipment you can borrow if you're just starting out. It's also $10.

We'll see how it starts, I would recommend being able to go forward on skates but whatever you want to try on the ice, you can!

If anyone wants more info PM me.

the last signal...
Apr 16, 2009

WouldDesk posted:

He died. Did he survive, and then the article was written while he was in the hospital before he passed? I ask because the link now clearly says he passed away.

The article definitely changed, though there were rumours yesterday morning that he had already died. Some of my students who knew him said today he apparently "died" three times before finally succumbing to his injuries.

From what I've heard the shot wasn't even that hard either, just hit him in the wrong place.

Acethomas
Sep 21, 2004

NHL 1451 684 773 1457

sellouts posted:

If anyone in SoCal is interested in trying out ice hockey, let me know. The private drop in I skate in is starting a 30 minute "intro to hockey" before every 60 minute pick up. Super casual, free skate rental, and we're growing a "community locker" of equipment you can borrow if you're just starting out. It's also $10.

We'll see how it starts, I would recommend being able to go forward on skates but whatever you want to try on the ice, you can!

Is this the Tuesday thing we were talking about?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

In between us talking they emailed me that they were changing it slightly. 60 min pickup + 30 min beginner / slow pace / stick and puck should still be good

bigmike
Oct 20, 2003

Seconding the RBK 5K bag recommendation. They're awesome and have lots of pockets for towels and accessories.

Acethomas
Sep 21, 2004

NHL 1451 684 773 1457

sellouts posted:

In between us talking they emailed me that they were changing it slightly. 60 min pickup + 30 min beginner / slow pace / stick and puck should still be good

So is it still 11 or 1030?

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Habibi posted:

Have all y'all who are looking for a new bag considered a backpack, or do you only want the duffel style?

backpack = hockeypurse.

Loqieu
Feb 27, 2001

Has anyone ever been benched before in a beer league? I joined what I thought was a beer league, but apparently everyone is super serious about winning and complete hot heads. It's a new outdoor roller league in a rink at a public park. I knew a few people who were joining, and it was only $30 for the season, so I joined in too. I'm also in an ice and another roller league, which are casual but competitive, so I thought this would be similar.

Every game has so far featured fights, constant arguing, ample racial slurs, and physical play. I was lucky enough to get drafted onto one of the top 2 teams. Looks like about 80% of the team played with one another since they were kids, and they're pretty good together. I'll also admit I'm no Gretzky, as I haven't scored a goal in a year.

Anyway it finally happened where we got down by a bunch of goals in the first period. Now I typically don't get many shifts, and certainly not the 5+ minutes most of the guys push, but after that first period it was announced that only the top guys would keep going out so we could get back into the game. I'm all for putting out your best players in order to have a better chance at winning, but this was ridiculous. This is a regular season game too, and we're mid-way through the season, and it was against a team 2 positions lower than us. Real important game...right.

I got 1 more 30 second shift, which we scored on too. Then I sat for the remainder of the game. The same thing happened for 2 other guys with me. Obviously we lost, otherwise maybe they would have been willing to let us on. At this point I'm just debating if I even bother showing up for the remainder of the season.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

If it's organized enough to have a draft it's organized enough to have a commissioner or something you can go to to get moved to a more-fun team. Otherwise ask for your money back.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Wow.

My team will occasionally sit the 3rd line for power plays if we're down by one or two goals, or for the last minute of the game. But this is the exception, not the rule. Guys pay to play, not to watch hot-poo poo bro brahs score goals from the bench.

I would quit that team in a heartbeat.

Minister Robathan
Jan 3, 2007

The Alien Leader of Transportation
Other than playoffs (where winning gets you another game, aka, more playing time for the less good players) my teams do literally none of that poo poo. We roll whatever lines we have. The one exception is when we have 8 forwards, then the best two forwards rotate as centres while everyone else plays wing. This doesn't happen very often.

I'd seriously complain about that poo poo.

I can understand the occasional missed shift from pk's, but that kinda crap is inexcusable.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

sellouts posted:

Where do you live and where in Southern California is this taking place? I've kind of ignored socal hockey chat but I'm moving back out to Los Angeles this January/February and I'd like to be able to play.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I live in Miracle Mile on the west side of LA. I play in the league down in Torrance but the pick up I mentioned is in the valley.

Ace, 11:30-12 is B team, 12-1am is A team. Times vary depending on when the rink is ready (league games might end early and we get the ice a little early, etc)

Also the rink in torrance (which if you skated there before you moved it has been totally refurbished and is one of the best sheets in So Cal IMO) this week had a 90 min skills clinic for adults on Sat afternoon. The level of skating was pretty terrible (I was the only one who could do backwards crossovers at any real speed) but it was very positive and taught people how to lead passes and what supporting the puck means on a breakout. It was fun even if the level was pretty low.

There seems to be more and more opportunity for hockey at these rinks, which is pretty awesome. I'm skating 2-3x a week regularly now.

sellouts fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Nov 15, 2011

poser
Jun 9, 2002

Are they booing the power play?

I was saying Boo-urns!
We only sit the terrible players(myself included) if its the playoffs and we are down.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

We literally never sit anyone. We rotate our lines and never skip any, even on the PP/PK. Everyone pays the same league fee and I'd most definitely find another team if they pulled that poo poo. It's beer league, not the NHL.

Robo-Pope
Feb 28, 2007

It has big taste.

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

We literally never sit anyone. We rotate our lines and never skip any, even on the PP/PK. Everyone pays the same league fee and I'd most definitely find another team if they pulled that poo poo. It's beer league, not the NHL.

Yup, same. Plus, that way, the bad players get better! Our former worst player by a country mile scored a pretty sweet goal tonight. He probably wouldn't be good enough to score pretty sweet goals if we benched him when we got behind.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

sellouts posted:

I live in Miracle Mile on the west side of LA. I play in the league down in Torrance but the pick up I mentioned is in the valley.

Ace, 11:30-12 is B team, 12-1am is A team. Times vary depending on when the rink is ready (league games might end early and we get the ice a little early, etc)

Also the rink in torrance (which if you skated there before you moved it has been totally refurbished and is one of the best sheets in So Cal IMO) this week had a 90 min skills clinic for adults on Sat afternoon. The level of skating was pretty terrible (I was the only one who could do backwards crossovers at any real speed) but it was very positive and taught people how to lead passes and what supporting the puck means on a breakout. It was fun even if the level was pretty low.

There seems to be more and more opportunity for hockey at these rinks, which is pretty awesome. I'm skating 2-3x a week regularly now.

Wait, I can't do backwards crossovers! I'm terrible!

Miracle Mile? So how long does it take you to get to that rink the valley. I'm looking for apartments right now on the west side (Culver City/Santa Monica/Palms/etc.) so yeah. I'll definitely PM you once I finally get moved but its not happening until after the holidays.

Tank44
Jun 13, 2005

We want the ball & We're going to score

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

We do the same too... One query for the group, what do you do in PK situations?
A> Play the best people in a PK unit
B> keep rotation where you continue to rotate players so nobody misses a shift (keeping 2 D & 2 F on at all times)
C> keep rotation by position so if a D get a penalty, you play 3 F & 1 D or if C gets the penalty, you play 2 W & 2D

toxicsunset
Sep 19, 2005

BUY MORE CRABS

Thufir posted:

I'm pretty sure there's some widespread neurological disorder that effects hockey players where they can sit on the bench and not only conceptually grasp the benefits of short shifts, getting the puck deep, and wingers covering the points in the defensive end; but also loudly extoll the virtue of such behaviors. Yet, as soon as they step on the ice they proceed to take 4:00 shifts, abandon the point, and futz around with the puck in the neutral zone. Probably caused by inhaling too much Zamboni exhaust.

This reminds me of a few games ago. Funny story. Our goalie no-call no-showed, and we were strapped to get a replacement. We called a guy but he wasnt going to be ready soon enough. So we grabbed a developmental kid that was playing in the game before. He was 14 years old and tiny. He played goal for the first period until our backup goalie showed up.

The other team was a total dick to him but thats another story.

Anyway our goalie is finally ready, about 2 minutes into the 2nd, and hes standing at the door waiting to come on the ice. Everyone on the bench starts screaming at our guys to ice the puck, throw it into the netting, etc. To force a whistle so we could change goalies. I mean SCREAMING to ice the puck. I was slamming my stick off the boards and screaming at the top of my lungs. Nobody would ice it. Everyone was. My line jumps on the ice, finally. My linemate takes the puck...and skates with it. Now i'm ON THE ICE, STILL SCREAMING, but this time at my own loving linemates who were just on the bench with me screaming the same thing, to ice the puck, and twice they try and carry it through the neutral zone to no avail, the second time turning into an odd man rush where they beat our mini goalie for their 4th goal. They won 7-6 in the end. I was so loving pissed.

Tank44 posted:

We do the same too... One query for the group, what do you do in PK situations?
A> Play the best people in a PK unit
B> keep rotation where you continue to rotate players so nobody misses a shift (keeping 2 D & 2 F on at all times)
C> keep rotation by position so if a D get a penalty, you play 3 F & 1 D or if C gets the penalty, you play 2 W & 2D

We run our regular lines with one volunteer sitting out. And to contribute to 3-minute penalty discussion, our penalties are 3 minutes running clock too. I'm not sure I understand how majors work, but we had one called against the other team in our game with about 8 minutes left in it and he was in the box for the remainder of the game

toxicsunset fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Nov 15, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black
We don't bench any of our guys either but our team has probably one too many guys on the team. We have 11 for roller and it hasn't been a problem so far because we've had around 10 show up any given week. This week we have a double header and we will have all 11 guys which is hell for our forward lines to keep them consistent.

For PK we usually use one D pairing and our fastest backcheckers, but we mainly rotate as much as we can as there's only like one or two guys who wouldn't be a great PKer