Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hatter106
Nov 25, 2006

bolshi fight za homosex

temple posted:

The Golden Arc was good because it was relatable. At this point, the story is metaphysical. That's good for what I think Muira is trying to convey but it creates ridiculous DBZ styled conflicts were no one dies unless the plot dictates it. The minute Guts got that damned beserker armor, the wheels came off in terms of logic.

That's why I say you have to ignore the fantasy stuff and look at the story can abstractions at this point. Guts is human will. What he is experiencing isn't a matter of if he will win because he's no longer human. Guts is an idea and you can't kill ideas with swords. The same with Griffith. You have think about it as what can kill the idea of ambition? What can kill endurance? But I still prefer people doing people stuff because its cooler than philosophical conflict.

Well the world of Berserk is overrun with goddamn unicorns and mermaids right now, so it's a bit of an exercise in futility to ignore the fantasy elements. It's a FANTASY series, for god's sake.

e: honestly folks, the series has been pure fantasy ever since the Eclipse, in 1997. It's only going to get more fantastic from here on out. Maybe it's not the right series for you anymore. There are plenty of historical, realistic stories out there if that's what you're after. But if you're gonna roll your eyes everytime Miura draws a leprechaun or whatever, why are you still reading?

Hatter106 fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Nov 15, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lepecard
May 19, 2009
Soiled Meat
Hey, I have a (possibly stupid) question about Berserk.

I just finished Volume #34 and was wondering what chapter number does volume #35 start on?

I'm curious as to how much Berserk i've read so far.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Lepecard posted:

Hey, I have a (possibly stupid) question about Berserk.

I just finished Volume #34 and was wondering what chapter number does volume #35 start on?

I'm curious as to how much Berserk i've read so far.

You're at roughly this time last year's material.

Lepecard
May 19, 2009
Soiled Meat

dis astranagant posted:

You're at roughly this time last year's material.

Ah, so i'm not too far behind but I wish the chapters were numbered...

Jimmybob
Mar 7, 2005

Hatter106 posted:

Well the world of Berserk is overrun with goddamn unicorns and mermaids right now, so it's a bit of an exercise in futility to ignore the fantasy elements. It's a FANTASY series, for god's sake.

e: honestly folks, the series has been pure fantasy ever since the Eclipse, in 1997. It's only going to get more fantastic from here on out. Maybe it's not the right series for you anymore. There are plenty of historical, realistic stories out there if that's what you're after. But if you're gonna roll your eyes everytime Miura draws a leprechaun or whatever, why are you still reading?

And it started out as fantasy to begin with. But it seems like a lot of people go out of there way to pretend the first 3 volumes don't exist and that the story starts at the Golden Age.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Honestly the Golden Age was my least favorite part. My favorite part was the two Black Swordsman arcs, though I like where Guts has grown out of them. His arc is the most interesting part of the manga to me.

Jimmybob
Mar 7, 2005

Zorak posted:

Honestly the Golden Age was my least favorite part. My favorite part was the two Black Swordsman arcs, though I like where Guts has grown out of them. His arc is the most interesting part of the manga to me.

Same here. The golden age was good, but I just always enjoyed the other arcs better. Especially the fight with Mozgus, drat that was awesome.

Which is also why I'm a bit miffed that they're starting the animation with the golden age again. The only reason I even wanted another anime was to see parts we haven't seen animated yet, animated. I hope they make enough money that they actually continue animating the rest of the story.

Son of Emhak
Sep 11, 2005

We say there's no parting for us, if our hearts are conveyed to each other.

Zorak posted:

The two Black Swordsman arcs.

Echoing this, the initial Black Swordsman, and the Misty Valley are probably the best demonstrations of Berserk in the raw, with Guts doing exactly what he always does, what he has done since he came into his own as a sell sword, leave a trail of bodies.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
Every Beserk arc owns. Every last one. Thanks Japan, for the only good manga.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
I like every arc. There are no bad parts in this manga and I have yet to read anything that would make me say out loud "god not this poo poo again".

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Even more than some of the fights, I just want to see Puck animated. I love that little guy. He adds some much levity to the darker aspects of the manga, and he's one of my favorite parts. Seeing him dressed up as a Gundam and trying to teach Isidori using chestnuts etc. will always make me smile.

Bloodyshinta1
Aug 6, 2010
Truth about berserk, Miura keeps things fresh.

Ice Cream Social
Nov 11, 2007
audi alteram partem
I think one of my favorite bits was the whole part with Wyald. I really liked his design and seeing Guts scrape out his first victory against an apostle was awesome, even if it was only temporary.

Bloodyshinta1
Aug 6, 2010

Ice Cream Social posted:

I think one of my favorite bits was the whole part with Wyald. I really liked his design and seeing Guts scrape out his first victory against an apostle was awesome, even if it was only temporary.

I agree, I think that's the best parts about the golden age arc. When the curtain is momentarily pealed back and the loving madness is briefly on display. All the characters reactions to it is what makes it so powerful. Now its like "oh hey gigantic sea god, well lets go kill it gg!"

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

A lot of people's introduction was the Golden Age (thanks to the anime), which weights the "realism" angle a bit more. I like "both" Berserks, though, although this last arc has been a bit too fruity and fairy-tale-y for my tastes, slightly.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Jimmybob posted:

Which is also why I'm a bit miffed that they're starting the animation with the golden age again. The only reason I even wanted another anime was to see parts we haven't seen animated yet, animated. I hope they make enough money that they actually continue animating the rest of the story.

Me and a friend were introduced to berserk through the anime, and the Golden Age just sucks the new reader/viewer in, and won't let go. Everybody I've ever known who's made it through the golden age is all "What?! What happens next?!" Which is what you want with the series moving beyond that.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

Man, all the previous arcs are a blur to me. They were so long ago and I can never put aside the time to just re-read the whole drat thing from the beginning.

Anyway, updates on the two further movies that are coming out.

You guys are gonna have to put this in context. Apparently the Golden Age Arc is going to be three separate movies or something.

Ice Cream Social
Nov 11, 2007
audi alteram partem
The fact that the period from the end of Doldrey to the end of the Golden Age is giving me great hope that we will finally see Wyald animated. It was always really disappointing to me that that section received such aggressive cuts in the original anime.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
I always liked the anime version of the story better because it made the ending more believable. Nothing short outside an act of god was going to save the hawks and low and behold, something mystical happened. The manga had a gradual build up and it was cool but not quite as impressive once you saw Guts fight Wyald .

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer
Wyald is possibly the most evil son of a bitch in the whole series (and that's saying a lot), so I look forward to seeing him get horrifically murdered in high-def.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
I thought Wyald was the least evil of all the horribly bad guys Guts has had to face. Mozgus and Ganishka were pretty hosed up.

Bloodyshinta1
Aug 6, 2010

Ka0 posted:

I thought Wyald was the least evil of all the horribly bad guys Guts has had to face. Mozgus and Ganishka were pretty hosed up.

Yeah whats up with all the Wyald hate? dude just wants to roll around with dismembered and eviscerated tweenage girls on pikes and rape Caska, I do that poo poo on the reg nothing wrong with that.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Zorak posted:

Black Swordsman is the one with the Count and the one with the "fairies" right?

Because those were both incredible.

PaleIrishGuy
Feb 5, 2004
Pale as paper

Dickeye posted:

Black Swordsman is the one with the Count and the one with the "fairies" right?

Because those were both incredible.

Yeah, Black Swordsman bookends The Golden Age.

Lord_Pigeonbane
Nov 24, 2002

Just the ladies, now!

Ka0 posted:

Mozgus was trying to do what was best... He was just really confused about what actually was best.

Ganishka was pretty drat evil, though.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

PaleIrishGuy posted:

Then that's pretty much as far as I've gotten, Black Swordsman part two. I'm stopping until I manage to buy that far, now.

mune
Sep 23, 2006

PaleIrishGuy posted:

I feel that the Golden Age and Black Swordsman arcs are by far the strongest part of the series so far.

Honestly I wish the Golden Age was twice as long, or more. The relationships between the characters and the fact that it was still a very low-fantasy feeling series really drew me in, in addition to the extremely personal nature of the Black Swordsman arcs.

Also Wyald is probably one of the simplest apostles, but that doesn't make him less evil. In my opinion he's one of the least relatable (as opposed to, say, the Count or the weird fairy moth-girl) and it's pretty satisfying to see him go.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Mozgus had good intentions and loving awful methods.

Ganishka was evil, but at a higher level.

Wyald was just a primal, low, dirty kind of evil. He may not have done as much wrong as Ganishka, but that was probably due to the fact that he had no imagination or ambition. He was just totally loathsome.

I hope I never meet anyone who can relate to Wyald. :stonk:

Rakugoon
Jul 30, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
If they animate Wyald... I'm just going to skip it. I--I don't need to go through that again.:gonk:

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Elysiume posted:

I hope I never meet anyone who can relate to Wyald. :stonk:

Hi there! :)

I don't particularly condone what Wyald does or his methods, they are far too risky for my tastes, but I can certainly understand why he enjoys his activities. What can I say? I guess I am just a very empathetic sort of person. v:shobon:v

Son of Emhak
Sep 11, 2005

We say there's no parting for us, if our hearts are conveyed to each other.
Wyald is kind of the epitome of a very primal human Apostle. I think this is emphasized by his Apostle form being apelike. The way he leads his Black Dogs as a brutal alpha, preoccupation with loving women, and generally being an individual of violent nature. Unlike Zodd who is very epitome of warrior like in the pursuit of improving his killing form, Wyald was truly a brute and a bully who when given the commandment 'Do as thou will', took to it with glee. He even tried to use it to beg for mercy when Zodd came to finish him in his last desperate moments, forgetting that rule can work against you as much as it can work to your advantage. I can only imagine what circumstance of personal whim led him to be imprisoned, since that's the only good reason he would still be in shackles when finally made leader of the Black Dogs.

Though you do have to give it to him, I don't think any other Apostle called out their attacks like him, he really did love to showboat.

Lord_Pigeonbane
Nov 24, 2002

Just the ladies, now!
When Wyald died, it was revealed that he had been a pitiful wretch of a man before becoming an apostle. He was powerless, and probably frequently victimized by the plethora of horrible people in Berserkland.

It makes sense to me that somebody like that would revel in the opportunity to become the monster, rather than the victim. Suddenly, he was nearly invincible. He could take what he wanted. He could hurt who he wanted. Things that were beyond his ability to bear as a human were not an issue now that he was the monster.

I think that I understand Wyald.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
He just thought people should live their life for enjoyment and excitement. Seems like a cool guy to me.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer
There are those in the Berserk world who use their God Hand-given powers to hone their combat skills to perfection (Zodd, Grunbeld, Locus, Irwin); those who use their powers to try to take over the world (Griffith, Ganishka); those Apostles with some bit of sympathy like the Count (Refused to sacrifice his daughter to be devoured by demons), Mozgus (Honestly believed that torturing and killing infidels was the right thing to do), Rosine (Just wanted to be loved and created demon spawn to be her friends).

And then there are sick fucks who just want to use their vicious strength to kill and rape indiscriminately, make others suffer, and have fun doing it (Wyald, the snake Apostle from the first volume, probably lots of others). Given humankind's natural inclinations, this is probably the most common type. You don't need demonic power to be a cruel bastard, but it sure helps.

There was an early Battle Angel Alita villain named Makaku who reminds me a lot of Wyald. He had about the shittiest life imaginable, being born in a toilet and living alone in the sewers underneath a surface world which itself is a rotten hellhole. When granted a powerful new body by a mad scientist, Makaku used that strength to become the oppressor rather than the oppressed. Both characters IMO are horrifying, tragic, brilliant studies of human nature.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Mozgus wasn't really an Apostle though.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.

Cbouncerrun posted:

Mozgus wasn't really an Apostle though.
He was the product of the egg apostle, wasn't he? Speaking of which...

Lord_Pigeonbane posted:

When Wyald died, it was revealed that he had been a pitiful wretch of a man before becoming an apostle. He was powerless, and probably frequently victimized by the plethora of horrible people in Berserkland.

It makes sense to me that somebody like that would revel in the opportunity to become the monster, rather than the victim. Suddenly, he was nearly invincible. He could take what he wanted. He could hurt who he wanted. Things that were beyond his ability to bear as a human were not an issue now that he was the monster.

The behelit apostle provides an interesting contrast. He was a man so downtrodden and abused he couldn't even fathom the notion of striking back at his oppressors or getting revenge in any traditional sense. He sacrificed his human form so he could give people (Mozgus & Co., the goat-man) what they wanted, and eventually sacrificed his apostle form to pave the way for a new age with Griffith's rebirth.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Well yeah, he was given powers like the Apostles at the end but for the majority of the arc he was a normal human. And since he was given powers by someone else sacrificing something, he probably doesn't follow the same rules either.

Nomadism
Nov 29, 2011

Lord_Pigeonbane posted:

This makes me want to read the manga. I originally familiarized myself with the series by watching the anime... but from what I hear, the manga has several elements that the anime left out (Wyald, for example (from what I've heard)... and apparently Zodd elevates to "epic" status during the Wyald encounter).

I'm going to go do a bit of reading. This has sparked my interest.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Honestly, I'm most excited about Skull Knight being animated because, in addition to being a rather a large part of the plot, he's a lot more tolerable than Puck and he just slashes through dimensions and does other cool poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Nomadism posted:

This makes me want to read the manga. I originally familiarized myself with the series by watching the anime... but from what I hear, the manga has several elements that the anime left out (Wyald, for example (from what I've heard)... and apparently Zodd elevates to "epic" status during the Wyald encounter).

I'm going to go do a bit of reading. This has sparked my interest.

Sure, if by "several elements" you mean "the other two thirds of the story so far."