Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

nogic posted:

Maybe this is a facet of the game I missed from vanilla, but it seems like almost all the new characters I've seen, their j.S at the end of a super jump/air combo will cause a ground bounce, and they can pick the other guy back up for another air combo. I know Frank and Firebrand can do this, and I feel like almost all of the new characters I've seen can do this.

Both those examples aren't actually j.S. Frank's is j.qcf+H and Firebrand's is a down+H dive kick. Nemesis's j.S can ground bounce, but not in a super jump combo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metrohunter
Sep 30, 2009

Ain't no thing like me, 'cept me.
I think the j.S causing a groundbounce is almost exclusive to heavyweights like Sentinel, Hulk et al. Oh and Vergil.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

Both those examples aren't actually j.S. Frank's is j.qcf+H and Firebrand's is a down+H dive kick. Nemesis's j.S can ground bounce, but not in a super jump combo.

I think Akuma now has one too since you can do the demon-flip in the air.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Just got my copy...and picked up the guide, too, because I am a sucker for well-written strategy guides. 500 tiny-print pages...sweet Jesus.

There's some interesting stuff right off the bat:

-each character has exactly the same X-Factor timer
-mashing out of TAC's doesn't work because you only get one guess during a 15-frame window
-Guarding hits and having your attacks blocked builds meter...62.5 percent of what the move would normally build, apparently. Was that in vanilla? I can't say that I noticed.

Vengarr fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Nov 15, 2011

That Which Squeaks
Aug 28, 2006

"Good. Use your aggressive feelings, boy. Let the hate flow through you."
-Bill Belichick
Hawkeye's tracking super DHCs into Dark Dimension, seems good.

FZeroRacer
Apr 8, 2009
As good as Wright's turnabout mode is, the rest of him is too terrible to make it worth the risk. Fun as hell, but gets blown up by everything thrown at him. I'm hoping there'll be some technology that makes it easier to get into turnabout but so far there's nothing out there.

Metrohunter
Sep 30, 2009

Ain't no thing like me, 'cept me.
Call Maya and assists, get 3 evidence pieces, tag out and perform a team aerial combo to Wright, then use objection in the air. Easiest and probably the safest way to combo into it thus far.

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.

Metrohunter posted:

Call Maya and assists, get 3 evidence pieces, tag out and perform a team aerial combo to Wright, then use objection in the air. Easiest and probably the safest way to combo into it thus far.

The DHC into Maya Smelting lets you get an objection off and there's nothing that the opponent can do to stop you.

FZeroRacer
Apr 8, 2009

Metrohunter posted:

Maya Shield is easy to avoid and actually dangerous for Wright since it traps the opponent right in your face. I've only found it useful for people that have no idea what it does (giving me a free combo) or for projectile characters.

Once the opponent is in your face it's hard to get them off of you. Can't call assists at point blank since then they get caught and killed. Even if you pushblock his mobility and options at mid range are terrible enough that they can get right back in for free.

Phoenix is probably going to be best as the second slot in a team. Build up enough meter so you can DHC into Maya and hope you get all the evidence you need. I've tried him as point and you have to really work and have a bit of luck on your side.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Nick's -> + H in Trial mode (the Objection) is called "Bridge to the Turnabout".

So loving awesome...

Groghammer
Aug 10, 2011

On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!

Vengarr posted:

-Guarding hits and having your attacks blocked builds meter...62.5 percent of what the move would normally build, apparently. Was that in vanilla? I can't say that I noticed.

Yeah, it was.

Latte Lottie
Oct 6, 2011

Getting 1st place is impossible...
Made sure to pre-order this yesterday so I can be beaten tonight. How does the Goon tournament work? I figure we all get into the chat channel and then a host adds people into a lobby and the correct people fight? I'm not worried, but just irked about having to add too many "friends" just to participate.

Also hurray spectator mode because if our games are played like this at least I get to watch some fun crap.

e: I'm prolly diving in with some kind of Zero/Nick/Tronne or Zero/Vergil/Strider. Sword team! I hate not using a girl but I don't know if I can count on my Tronne assist to piss people off anymore. Need to play....

Latte Lottie fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Nov 15, 2011

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy
:negative: I have to wait 10+ more hours for my best buy to open because that's where I preordered for my costumes! I want it...

purkey
Dec 5, 2003

I hate the 90s

Good lord I'm paying for playing a Wolverine DHC glitch team in vanilla. I keep trying to berserker slash with Frank West.

Unboxing Day
Nov 4, 2003

If you're still up at this ungodly hour and don't have Ultimate for whatever reason, Nerdjosh is streaming

http://www.twitch.tv/nerdjosh

Unboxing Day fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Nov 15, 2011

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Just got back from a pre-release tournament at a local game store. It's actually the first tournament I've attended with money on the line, and I actually won my first match which is better than I expected. Got eliminated after that, but whatevs. The big surprise was when Clockwork and Yipes showed up - and took first and second, naturally. When I lost my winners bracket match to a Hulk xfactor comeback, Yipes was standing right behind me hyping it up. Good poo poo.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!

Parallax Scroll posted:

Just got back from a pre-release tournament at a local game store. It's actually the first tournament I've attended with money on the line, and I actually won my first match which is better than I expected. Got eliminated after that, but whatevs. The big surprise was when Clockwork and Yipes showed up - and took first and second, naturally. When I lost my winners bracket match to a Hulk xfactor comeback, Yipes was standing right behind me hyping it up. Good poo poo.

Where was this at?

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
Yo cinroth or somebody better drop some secret Vergil poo poo soon because if the online is as rear end as it seems him being not good will save me 40 bucks.

vvvv well maybe I need more positive news then so post it up fellas

ThePhenomenalBaby fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Nov 15, 2011

Captain Corduroy
Mar 31, 2007

We find the source of the problem, and we throw dragons at it.

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

Yo cinroth or somebody better drop some secret Vergil poo poo soon because if the online is as rear end as it seems him being not good will save me 40 bucks.

I played for an hour and had five bars with everybody I played against and no lag.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Cuchulain posted:

Where was this at?

Gameplay in Long Beach CA.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU
Won my first match with Ace Attorney online, and that might be the most fun I've had playing Marvel in years.

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Rx Suicide emailed me and all I got was this amazingly awesome forum account.

Tortured By Flan

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

vvvv well maybe I need more positive news then so post it up fellas

A friendly reminder in case anyone missed it, Maximilian posted about the online portion some pages back. Sounds like it's a step up from original, but I'd like to hear some first hand experiences too.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

I've been mostly free from lovely lag. It's usually maybe a few frames of delay, nothing to make or break a basic combo. A few dudes were dipping into entire seconds of delay, but that poo poo is all on them, not the netcode. It's pretty good.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

I'm a little embarrassed at having to ask this, but what's a guard break? I've seen it described as something like a tick throw, but I don't think that could be right.

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

I POSSESS QUESTIONABLE TASTE IN TOUHOU GAMES

Phenotype posted:

I'm a little embarrassed at having to ask this, but what's a guard break? I've seen it described as something like a tick throw, but I don't think that could be right.

Back in MvC2, there was a system built in where a character coming in blocking could only block one hit then have no action. So the trick was to do a move that would force them to block, then immediately follow up with something before they hit the ground which they would be defenseless for.

The classic example is Cable's j.HP (the gunshot) cancelled into AHVB (Aerial Hyper Viper Beam); if they block the gunshot, they eat beams. This lead to the concept of "biting the bullet", where if your opponent's execution was off or you recovered fast enough, you could not block the gunshot, but then block the AHVBs. (This might be wrong, though)

In MvC3, this concept doesn't exist, since you block everything until you hit the ground coming in. However, you can force a situation where the incoming opponent is stuck blocking so you can airthrow them and "break" their guard that way. With C.Viper, you can actually full charge her Focus Attack to the unblockable state with Cold Star Assist backing her up, which is patented MarlinPie technology.

Kuai
May 25, 2004
Am I missing something on being able to do Vergil's air super after his down-forward H? Did they take it out from previous builds?

FZeroRacer
Apr 8, 2009

Kuai posted:

Am I missing something on being able to do Vergil's air super after his down-forward H? Did they take it out from previous builds?

Strangely enough, it depends on the two ATK buttons you use. Light and Medium won't work, but Medium and Heavy will.

Kuai
May 25, 2004

FZeroRacer posted:

Strangely enough, it depends on the two ATK buttons you use. Light and Medium won't work, but Medium and Heavy will.

Wow.... thanks for this. I always use L+M for supers too.

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me

Liar Lyre posted:

Also, here's all of the special intros, win quotes, and more.
http://marvelvscapcom.wikia.com/wiki/Special_Conversations

Ghost Rider posted:

(vs. Phoenix Wright, She-Hulk) "So there's this contract with Mephisto I want you to look at for me..."

:allears:

e: hahaha

MODOK posted:

(vs. Rocket Raccoon) "I defeated a raccoon. SCIENCE!"

AXE COP fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Nov 15, 2011

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

FZeroRacer posted:

What the poo poo? I had no idea.

I'd been getting around this by cancelling the uppercut into teleport (press H), then doing the super.

Rollie the Guar
Sep 12, 2011

You can't change nature, Jack.
It seems like it's causing a teleport and then kara canceling into super with negative edge.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Yeah, I figured out the Vergil teleport thing after trying it out. I usually only use L+M for supers, but after that wasn't working I tried M+H, and there it goes.

After analyzing it a bit more, you basically end up cancelling your teleport cancel. So if you want to make it easy, just do QCF L+H twice, and you'll get it without fail. It's kind of silly, but there you go. (Edit: Goddammit, beaten.)

Speaking of Vergil tech, I was confused by the followup for Twin Moons for the longest time, until I tried super jumping, which worked quite well. Derp.

Gamest Mook
Jun 22, 2011

by Ozmaugh

MadRhetoric posted:

Back in MvC2, there was a system built in where a character coming in blocking could only block one hit then have no action. So the trick was to do a move that would force them to block, then immediately follow up with something before they hit the ground which they would be defenseless for.

The classic example is Cable's j.HP (the gunshot) cancelled into AHVB (Aerial Hyper Viper Beam); if they block the gunshot, they eat beams. This lead to the concept of "biting the bullet", where if your opponent's execution was off or you recovered fast enough, you could not block the gunshot, but then block the AHVBs. (This might be wrong, though)

A better way to explain guard breaks is that after you leave blockstun during normal jump state, you can't start blocking again. So as long as you never leave blockstun you can block as many moves as you want. You couldn't cancel the gunshot into AHVB, because then they wouldn't leave blockstun after the gunshot and would thus be able to block. So you do j.HP, land, they leave blockstun, AHVB which they can't block.

I have no idea how people are using the term in MvC3 though.

Gamest Mook fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Nov 15, 2011

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

You've fought zombies, mutants, and tyrants. But nothing's prepared you for A RACCOON.

Rocky to Chris pregame. I love this game so much. :allears:

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me
Mike Ross takes on Fanatiq in a new Ultimate Runnin' Sets:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPgSUPbne_E

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
My innocence has been ruined: Mike Ross says "gently caress" in the video. :smith: (Sure, they censor it for some reason, but the fact that I know he said is just awful)

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

Man, I didn't know Gootecks was so good at Pogs.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Fuckin' tomorrow, this is going to rule. Until I realize I still have a busted stick.

FAT BATMAN
Dec 12, 2009

Spider-Man posted:

(vs. Firebrand) "You know, you look like the guy who ruined my marriage."

Hahahahaha

Also the full cinematic trailer is ridiculously cool. Doom has the best pose.

e:

Dante posted:

(vs. Vergil) "You're the reason why we can't have nice things. Also, the ladies dig my sword skills more."
These victory quotes are so good

FAT BATMAN fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Nov 15, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

FAT BATMAN posted:

Hahahahaha

Also the full cinematic trailer is ridiculously cool. Doom has the best pose.

Goddamn tiny knight with his loving tiny lances. I don't even care enough to use both sets of finger lasers.

• Locked thread