Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SupahCoolX
Jul 2, 2005

z0331 posted:

Not sure where to ask this, figured I'd try here.

I just got a MacBook Pro since my Dell seems to be on the fritz. I've been trying to use the Migration Assistant to get my pictures and music over, but I have no idea where it puts the files. I expected the pictures to show up in the Mac picture folder but no such luck.

I've tried Googling around but can't seem to find a straight answer. Where is the assistant putting my stuff?
Do they all show up when you open iTunes and iPhoto?

If so, your music is in Hard Drive > Users > Your name > Music. Just let iTunes manage the files for you, no need for you to be manually dealing with files and folders.

Your pictures would then be in Hard Drive > Users > Your name > Pictures. However, they will all be clumped into a big "iPhoto Library" file, and you won't see the actual individual files and folders. This is because iPhoto keeps originals when you make edits (so you can always undo changes) and such, and if people had access to the actual files they'd mess it up and delete things they shouldn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

z0331 posted:

I just got a MacBook Pro since my Dell seems to be on the fritz. I've been trying to use the Migration Assistant to get my pictures and music over, but I have no idea where it puts the files. I expected the pictures to show up in the Mac picture folder but no such luck.

I've tried Googling around but can't seem to find a straight answer. Where is the assistant putting my stuff?
This help article tells you what was copied, where it was copied from, and where it was copied to.

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name
So far I've only tried to copy pictures since music will take forever and I was gonna do it overnight.

I must be doing something wrong because, despite the thing saying the files were migrated successfully, they're not showing up in my iPhoto library, nor are they in the Pictures folder. I'll try again tonight.

Thanks for the replies, though.

Cockwhore
Jul 10, 2005
a quintessence of dust
Has anybody tried the Simplier music player or Raven.io browser? I downloaded Raven the other day, and the web app model they have looks interesting, though as far as I know you can't easily add your own web apps. As to Simplier, I've only looked at screenshots, and I might give it a go in the next few days when I get the time.

What I found interesting, was how heavily both apps borrowed from Sparrow / Twitter. It seems to be becoming a 'thing'.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

z0331 posted:

Does the Migration Assistant actually work windows –> mac? I was under the impression it was only osx to osx.

Also, this my favorite screensaver clock: http://www.iconpaper.org/minimalclock/

It makes leaving my laptop open worthwhile, since it shows the time pretty clearly.

If I recall right, migration assistant just moves your home folder, more or less. That and nothing will just show up in iPhoto, you'd have to add them.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Another simple (analog) one is ClockSaver.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Just wanted to point out that image retention on LCDs is still a thing, so yes there's definitely a use for screensavers even now. Otherwise you end up with your menubar burned into the top of the screen like me.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

~Coxy posted:

Just wanted to point out that image retention on LCDs is still a thing, so yes there's definitely a use for screensavers even now. Otherwise you end up with your menubar burned into the top of the screen like me.
Yeah, I have this on my Cinema HD, a shadowy image of the address bar of my browser is visible when there's a flat color on top of the screen. Apparently there are ways of clearing LCD displays though. Reading up on it, leaving a blank white picture fullscreened overnight has a pretty good chance of clearing up image retention from LCDs.

That, or you can try LCD Scrub (I just downloaded it so I can't say if it works or not but some people have had good results) and even supposedly OS X's Flurry screensaver helps with image retention.

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name

Zenostein posted:

Does the Migration Assistant actually work windows –> mac? I was under the impression it was only osx to osx.

Also, this my favorite screensaver clock: http://www.iconpaper.org/minimalclock/

It makes leaving my laptop open worthwhile, since it shows the time pretty clearly.

If I recall right, migration assistant just moves your home folder, more or less. That and nothing will just show up in iPhoto, you'd have to add them.

It does work with PC. Maybe that's new? I don't know.

Anyway, I figured out where my files went. It would make a new folder, similar to my user profile folder but with all the folders inside locked so I can't open them even after setting the permissions. Basically I got around it by moving the appropriate folder inside (e.g.: Pictures) to the equivalent folder on my base Mac user profile folder and that worked.

Kind of weird and kind of a pain, but it looks like I got everything worked out. Still trying to get a handle on how to navigate this OS. Last time I used a Mac for any duration of time was like 10 years ago.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

z0331 posted:

Anyway, I figured out where my files went. It would make a new folder, similar to my user profile folder but with all the folders inside locked so I can't open them even after setting the permissions. Basically I got around it by moving the appropriate folder inside (e.g.: Pictures) to the equivalent folder on my base Mac user profile folder and that worked.

Kind of weird and kind of a pain, but it looks like I got everything worked out. Still trying to get a handle on how to navigate this OS. Last time I used a Mac for any duration of time was like 10 years ago.

That's actually reasonably sensible. That said, as far as file locations go, OSX is more like linux. Or, in a more contemporary Windows sense, like W7. You have a "user folder," and subfolders for things.

It's fairly sensible, and a hell of a lot better than OS9, despite how much I like it.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

z0331 posted:

It's new with Lion.

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name

Zenostein posted:

That's actually reasonably sensible. That said, as far as file locations go, OSX is more like linux. Or, in a more contemporary Windows sense, like W7. You have a "user folder," and subfolders for things.

It's fairly sensible, and a hell of a lot better than OS9, despite how much I like it.

I found out today when I started it up that basically what it did was create an entirely separate user which had all my files. If I had migrated everything when I first set up the computer it probably would have all worked out nicely and the files would have gone to my main user profile, but since I did it piece-meal it made things trickier.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Vintage Analog Synthesizer
I just tried out the Parallels Desktop 7 trial version and I'm amazed how far it has come. I think I tried it two years ago for a little bit and was pretty underwhelmed. Now though, I can even play 3D games properly in my virtual Windows 7 :monocle: Are there any coupon codes to buy it cheaper than $79 at the moment? I don't really need it, but it sure is a lot more comfortable than running Windows with Boot Camp.

modig
Aug 20, 2002

FLX posted:

I just tried out the Parallels Desktop 7 trial version and I'm amazed how far it has come. I think I tried it two years ago for a little bit and was pretty underwhelmed. Now though, I can even play 3D games properly in my virtual Windows 7 :monocle: Are there any coupon codes to buy it cheaper than $79 at the moment? I don't really need it, but it sure is a lot more comfortable than running Windows with Boot Camp.

VirtualBox is free and not quite as good, but still free.

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004
iTunes 10.5.1 is out with iTunes Match in "Beta" but for everyone to try.

Here's an iTunes Match tip for someone who's been living with the Beta for a while. There's an extra column you can turn on in iTunes called "iCloud status". Your songs will end up in one of several states:

Matched This means iTunes Matched the song and now you have access to the 256Kbps AAC iTunes version of that song
Uploaded This means iTunes uploaded your version of the file so you can redownload it to your devices at any time
Not Eligible This means it was either a video file (like a Music video) or some other kind of file that Apple has decided isn't eligible for iTunes match
Waiting This means it's waiting to be uploaded or matched
Error This is usually because the file is corrupted in some fashion. I found several messed up mp3s in my library because of this. Also, I had some 22.000Hz songs that had Error status.. I reencoded them using iTunes' AAC conversion thing and they uploaded fine after that.
Purchased This means you bought it on the iTunes store, no need to upload or match it.
Duplicate This means it's a duplicate file (this seems to be new to the final release of iTunes match as I never had one of these before.

echobucket fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Nov 14, 2011

Crossbar
Jun 16, 2002
Chronic Lurker
Went to sign up for Match and got this -

Edit: clicked subscribe anyway and it seems to be working.

Crossbar fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Nov 14, 2011

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

echobucket posted:

Not Eligible This means it was either a video file (like a Music video) or some other kind of file that Apple has decided isn't eligible for iTunes match

To expand on this a little bit, there seems to be a minimum bit rate which a song needs to be encoded at for iTunes Match to even try to do anything with it. I had several songs show up as "Not Eligible", but once I re-encoded them at a higher bit-rate they worked fine and were either matched or uploaded.

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004
There's a great informative post over on the macrumors forums about iTunes match. Even more info than I posted.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=13850490&postcount=58

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

Diabolik900 posted:

To expand on this a little bit, there seems to be a minimum bit rate which a song needs to be encoded at for iTunes Match to even try to do anything with it. I had several songs show up as "Not Eligible", but once I re-encoded them at a higher bit-rate they worked fine and were either matched or uploaded.

Oh, actually you are right, I was thinking that my 22,000Hz files had been marked as "Error" but they had been marked as "Not Eligible". I was just confused and misremembering.

Edit: BTW, I had only 1000 songs left to upload when they opened the gates to the hoards :argh: Now my uploads are going slower :bang:

echobucket fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Nov 14, 2011

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

echobucket posted:

iTunes 10.5.1 is out with iTunes Match in "Beta" but for everyone to try.

Here's an iTunes Match tip for someone who's been living with the Beta for a while. There's an extra column you can turn on in iTunes called "iCloud status". Your songs will end up in one of several states:

Matched This means iTunes Matched the song and now you have access to the 256Kbps AAC iTunes version of that song
Uploaded This means iTunes uploaded your version of the file so you can redownload it to your devices at any time
Waiting This means it's waiting to be uploaded or matched
Error This is usually because the file is corrupted in some fashion. I found several messed up mp3s in my library because of this. Also, I had some 22.000Hz songs that had Error status.. I reencoded them using iTunes' AAC conversion thing and they uploaded fine after that.
Purchased This means you bought it on the iTunes store, no need to upload or match it.
Duplicate This means it's a duplicate file (this seems to be new to the final release of iTunes match as I never had one of these before.

Okay, I'm confused. You can upload your version of a song to their servers? So if my VBR high quality mp3 is a better bitrate than the iTunes 256kbps AAC file, they can be put on Apple's server? If that's true, I did not expect Apple to do that. I figured it would just be "you have this song on your computer, now all your iDevices can stream/download it as well, without being plugged into your iTunes Library".

Also, can I quote this into the iTunes thread?

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

IUG posted:

Okay, I'm confused. You can upload your version of a song to their servers? So if my VBR high quality mp3 is a better bitrate than the iTunes 256kbps AAC file, they can be put on Apple's server? If that's true, I did not expect Apple to do that. I figured it would just be "you have this song on your computer, now all your iDevices can stream/download it as well, without being plugged into your iTunes Library".

Also, can I quote this into the iTunes thread?

Sure, quote away. If the song matches, you get 256Kbps AAC regardless of the quality of your original file. It should be noted, it does NOT TOUCH your local files. This only makes the files available in the cloud. You can then download them from iCloud using iTunes on another PC, or an iOS Device.

If you have some crappy 128Kbps mp3s and want to upgrade them, then wait until they are matched and delete them from your iTunes... they will stay in the list with a little cloud icon beside them. Click that and it'll download the 256Kbps AAC version!

If it doesn't match, then it uploads your file, no matter what it is (although I've heard that if it's over 320Kbps or if it's lossless then iTunes reencodes it to 256Kbps AAC before uploading. (I need a good source on that though)

Edit: This macrumors post really describes the details better than I can... http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=13850490&postcount=58

echobucket fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Nov 14, 2011

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I posted a few days ago that after installing lion that airport will no longer automatically connect to the internet. I have updated everything and reset my router etc. but I don't know what is causing this. It really sucks.

hackedaccount
Sep 28, 2009
EDIT: Asking in the iTunes thread.

hackedaccount fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Nov 15, 2011

Softcox
Jul 13, 2004

But I will not hesitate.
Not for a second.
Are there any downsides to running standard Lion (non-server) on a Mac Mini Server? I'm doing it right now and everything seems ok. If you try to install it from scratch it says you cannot install on this hardware, but I swapped the hard drive from my Mac Faux and it's working fine. Just wondering if the ghost of Steve Jobs will kill me for doing this...

McDeth
Jan 12, 2005
Things that are pissing me off:

When you install a copy of Apple Remote Desktop onto a Mac a background process is installed called ARDAgent. I have to ASSUME that this process is different from the normal ARDAgent process that runs if Remote Management is enabled on computers without Apple Remote Desktop because this is what happens if I attempt to VPN into my main office on my work laptop with ARD installed.

That's my laptop sucking up all of my offices bandwidth via a loving process that I have no control over. Has anybody seen this before or know how to fix it? I sort of need ARD to do my job, but poo poo like this makes my job way more stressful than it needs to be....

McDeth
Jan 12, 2005

Softcox posted:

Are there any downsides to running standard Lion (non-server) on a Mac Mini Server? I'm doing it right now and everything seems ok. If you try to install it from scratch it says you cannot install on this hardware, but I swapped the hard drive from my Mac Faux and it's working fine. Just wondering if the ghost of Steve Jobs will kill me for doing this...

The ghost of Steve Jobs will piss in your face for trying to use a non-Apple USB keyboard extension or a non-Apple wall charger to charge your iPhone. The ghost of Steve Jobs can rot in hell for all I care.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

McDeth posted:

I sort of need ARD to do my job, but poo poo like this makes my job way more stressful than it needs to be....

Not sure what to tell you. I just VPN and ARD'd into my Mac on campus:

Do logs reveal anything out of the ordinary? Maybe try nettop to see if it is ARDagent sucking down the bandwidth.

edit: Do you have Remote Desktop set to collect reports from the machine? Run remote tasks?

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Nov 15, 2011

an actual cat irl
Aug 29, 2004

Has anyone else here experienced any problems outputting audio via HDMI from their Mac?

My Mac Mini media centre used to happily play stereo recordings from iTunes/XBMC through my 5.1 system, and it sounded great. At some point over the past few weeks, stereo recordings no longer go through my whole system and, instead, only through the front R/L speakers. Bypassing the sub makes music and video sound pretty poo poo, and I really want it back working how it was before.

Any stuff encoded correctly with 5.1 (e.g. movies) plays back perfectly, but music and videos with stereo audio sound awful.

FWIW, I'm on 10.7.2, running on a 2010 Mac Mini. I have my speakers configured to 5.1 in the Audio Midi Utility.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Softcox posted:

I'd be worried about whatever hacks you needed to do to the installation to get it working on your hackintosh possibly conflicting down the line. If you had a regular Lion installation it should be fine if it's 10.7.2, assuming it's a merged release. And any reason you need a regular Lion install rather than Server, or just so you can swap drives without doing anything else?

Softcox
Jul 13, 2004

But I will not hesitate.
Not for a second.

japtor posted:

I'd be worried about whatever hacks you needed to do to the installation to get it working on your hackintosh possibly conflicting down the line. If you had a regular Lion installation it should be fine if it's 10.7.2, assuming it's a merged release. And any reason you need a regular Lion install rather than Server, or just so you can swap drives without doing anything else?

I know there were exactly two modified system files (AppleHDA & AppleRTC kexts) and I rolled those back to stock ones so no problem there. The mini actually worked fine even with those modded files which was surprising. And yes the only reason is that I have Lion set up perfectly and would rather not spend hours setting stuff up again.

I'm just hoping there are no hardware checks added at some point in the future that would freak out with standard Lion on a server :gonk:

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

japtor posted:

Another simple (analog) one is ClockSaver.
If we're doing favourite clock screensavers, I can never get enough of PolarClock: http://blog.pixelbreaker.com/polarclock

wanderlost
Dec 3, 2010
Something changed with the way you control copying/overwriting files in Lion.

I have a Mac Mini running as a Media Center in my house. There is a large drive on my home network that the mini scans and indexes for content. I use a Macbook Air as my primary machine, and frequently download movies or other content at school or while traveling. For the last few years, whenever I get home, I plug in my Air, and drag all the content I've downloaded to the Network drive.

Before I updated to Lion, if I selected 25 files, 5 of which are already on the drive, I'd have the option to move the remaining 20 files to the drive, without touching the 5 already in place.

After updating, that option is gone, replaced by a keep both copies button. In the above case, selecting it would copy 25 files, with the 5 duplicates being renamed accordingly.

How do I get this original behavior back? I can get around this most of the time by sorting by date, but I'd like to go back to what I'm familiar with, if possible.

Softcox
Jul 13, 2004

But I will not hesitate.
Not for a second.

wanderlost posted:

Something changed with the way you control copying/overwriting files in Lion.

I have a Mac Mini running as a Media Center in my house. There is a large drive on my home network that the mini scans and indexes for content. I use a Macbook Air as my primary machine, and frequently download movies or other content at school or while traveling. For the last few years, whenever I get home, I plug in my Air, and drag all the content I've downloaded to the Network drive.

Before I updated to Lion, if I selected 25 files, 5 of which are already on the drive, I'd have the option to move the remaining 20 files to the drive, without touching the 5 already in place.

After updating, that option is gone, replaced by a keep both copies button. In the above case, selecting it would copy 25 files, with the 5 duplicates being renamed accordingly.

How do I get this original behavior back? I can get around this most of the time by sorting by date, but I'd like to go back to what I'm familiar with, if possible.

Try holding option at the copy dialog

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Don't have a "Skip" button?

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

TACD posted:

If we're doing favourite clock screensavers, I can never get enough of PolarClock: http://blog.pixelbreaker.com/polarclock

If we're doing favorite clock screensavers, I can't get enough of Uniqlock - http://www.uniqlo.jp/uniqlock/ - go over to downloads to get the mac version.

wanderlost
Dec 3, 2010

japtor posted:

Don't have a "Skip" button?

No. In lion, the skip button is replaced by the option to preserve both files.

Shin-chan
Aug 1, 2008

To be a man you must have honor...
...honor and a penis!

McDeth posted:

Things that are pissing me off:

When you install a copy of Apple Remote Desktop onto a Mac a background process is installed called ARDAgent. I have to ASSUME that this process is different from the normal ARDAgent process that runs if Remote Management is enabled on computers without Apple Remote Desktop because this is what happens if I attempt to VPN into my main office on my work laptop with ARD installed.

That's my laptop sucking up all of my offices bandwidth via a loving process that I have no control over. Has anybody seen this before or know how to fix it? I sort of need ARD to do my job, but poo poo like this makes my job way more stressful than it needs to be....

You're clients have been programed to send in reports at certain intervals. This is in the settings that show up when you first connect to a client with ARD. They hold their reports until the agent is available, so what's happening is when you vpn in, they all see you and send you their usage/app reports.

How many clients are in your All Computers list?

Shin-chan fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Nov 15, 2011

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

wanderlost posted:

No. In lion, the skip button is replaced by the option to preserve both files.
That's the thing...

I got that trying different methods, so there's some criteria to bringing the preserve option up rather than the usual ones.
edit, got the other one!

Doing some more quick tests, I get skip on the first one but keep both for the rest if I'm doing multiple files...but not all the time, perhaps based on the number of files or something else :iiam:

japtor fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Nov 16, 2011

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.
I don't know what you people are going on about with these screensavers. After Dark's Flying Toasters is the only one there is.

I can't believe I remembered that name. I never even owned a Mac before my Air!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zalmoxes
Sep 30, 2009

:eurovision:
Does anyone know if there's a version of MusicBrainz Picard that works with Lion? My app crashes at launch all the time.