Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

euroboy posted:

arsenals done it for years mate

it doesnt work

Needs a competent defender to work though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chuggo is BACK
Jul 1, 2008

"Chuggo"

PWM POTM December 2014

8raz
Jun 22, 2007

He's Scouse, He's Sound.

Chuggo posted:

don't post my facebook

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Sometimes American sports writers try to throw a bone to us Eurosports fans by including a football player on their lists of 'X players who did Y.' Here's a great example.

BleacherReport posted:

The 25 Dirtiest Players in Sports:

21. Christian Poulsen

Danish soccer player Christian Poulsen has a reputation for being an exceptionally physical player who crosses the line on occasion.

One such occasion came in 2008, in a World Cup qualifying game against Sweden. Poulsen punched Swedish striker Markus Roseberg in the stomach, earning a red card and inciting a melee that forced the referee to end the game.

He was the only football player on the list, therefore (by their logic) making Christian Poulsen the dirtiest football player on Earth.

chuggo is BACK
Jul 1, 2008

"Chuggo"

PWM POTM December 2014
Am really felt for this guy. i Which he had not done this in the first place, i heard the other first team squad were allowed some days off and he was told to stay back. hope am not being misquoted here, am only imagine what his going through now, for me i will have just advice city board to pardon him because you wipe a child with the righthand and draw the child back with the left afterall the whole world have now knew who the boss was now!

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

There you go rubens, all your fault! You went on the wrong side of the car!

Nikolai Fuckharin posted:

I think we should switch back to the classic 2-3-5 system but then I am a traditionalist

last season former notts county manager Paul Ince literally switched us to a 2-4-4 system whenever we were losing at 70 minutes (we lost 11 games in a row, a streak that only ended when we sacked the oval office)

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Popehoist posted:

last season former notts county manager Paul Ince literally switched us to a 2-4-4 system whenever we were losing at 70 minutes (we lost 11 games in a row, a streak that only ended when we sacked the oval office)

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Tsaedje posted:

That's not how you link to imgur.

This is:

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
We could probably fill this whole thread with Bleacher Report "articles" but here's one of their latest gems, a twist on the recently cited and always classic "what American athletes would be totally awesome if they chose to play soccer instead of American Sport X?"

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/926193-leo-messi-and-10-soccer-stars-who-could-have-thrived-in-the-nfl
Leo Messi and 10 Soccer Stars Who Could Have Thrived in the NFL. Roll the ugliness.

quote:

What if world soccer stars had grown up playing American football?

It's an interesting thought.

Say David Beckham grew up in Southern California instead of England. With that face, don't you think he would have been the quarterback of his local high school football team?

Regarding Leo Messi:

quote:

Bonus thought:
Let's get this out of the way early. Leo Messi, and every other player on this list, could also be a kicker. If you play soccer, you can kick a field goal.

It's kind of like how all guitarists can also play bass. It's the same thing, only with fewer intricacies.

GK Tim Howard - well, pretty much the whole thing:

quote:

Name: Tim Howard
Height: 6'3"
Weight: 210
Suggested NFL Position: Defensive back/emergency quarterback
Role Model: Charles Woodson
Why: He's American. He's 6'3", 210 and he's a goalkeeper.
The first part means he already knows the game.
The second part means he's got the size to play.
The third part means he knows how to read an offense.

Ronaldo, arguably one of the greatest football players of all time:

quote:

Name: Ronaldo
Height: 6'0"
Weight: At least 250
Suggested NFL Position: Lineman
Role Model: Leon Lett
Why: A quarterback can't do his thing without the hosses manning the offensive line.

Ronaldo, the original one, qualifies.

Dave Whelan would probably love the writer of this piece. This part makes you think:

quote:

Why: For whatever reason, there aren't many white running backs in the NFL. Bale would have to gain weight, but he definitely has the speed and power.
:psypop:

crappledan
Dec 17, 2009

Serious Title Contenders
disappointed there was no mention of clutch tbh

A Powerful Cream
Jun 25, 2009

get ready to read some badposts b*tch!! - fdr to hitler, 1972

sticksy posted:

lol this is the sports equivalent of fan fiction

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
i do like where messi, the best player of his generation, gets to come on the field to punt the ball and thats it

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

quote:

[What has Ken Bates turned around?] Oh, you know, the usual obvious stuff. Turning a bankrupt club into a solvent one. Turning a club hurtling downwards towards extinction into a club that’s climbing steadily back towards where it belongs, and doing it the right way, the football way, the Yorkshire way, not by just splashing some rich playboy’s undeserved millions around.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/09/sports/soccer/09iht-soccer09.html?pagewanted=1&_r=1&sq=newcastle%20united&st=cse&scp=1

quote:

Yet the current team is not everyone’s cup of tea.

Its squad draws on players from more than a dozen countries, in keeping with the polyglot makeup of virtually all the clubs in the Premiership, but at odds with the dream of Newcastle’s rearing its team of locally produced “Geordie lads.”

:ughh:

hermyownee
Jun 5, 2011

brilliant

quote:

The latest coach, another Southerner, Alan Pardew, speaks with the wrong accent for Durham people.

quote:

The crowd is cheering because the team’s position is higher than many expected, and higher than most have experienced in their lives. More than that, they are witnessing players from Argentina, from Africa, from European lands they scarcely knew existed, playing in their famed black and white stripes.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Where the gently caress is France

[edit]

That article is ludicrous all the way through.

quote:

Newcastle is a special club. It is the only team in the northernmost city of England, fiercely proud of its regional isolation, its separateness from the rest of the nation.

Only team in the northernmost city but there's one a dozen miles south too.

And DURHAM ISN'T NEWCASTLE, CHRIST

MrL_JaKiri fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Nov 10, 2011

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

We have all of 3 players not from a major European footballing country. Hungary, Slovenia and Denmark. Really scarcely known about countries

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
I assumed it was written by an American in which case it'd be forgivable but nope

quote:

In his native England, he was chief sports writer for The Times of London for a decade and a writer for The Sunday Times and Sunday Times Magazine for more than 25 years. In television, Mr. Hughes reported and produced live sports, documentaries and light entertainment.

How could he get it so wrong? Or is he just writing for his audience.

crappledan
Dec 17, 2009

Serious Title Contenders

Jose posted:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/09/sports/soccer/09iht-soccer09.html?pagewanted=1&_r=1&sq=newcastle%20united&st=cse&scp=1

"The Abu Dhabi owners of City are throwing such financial might at winning the league — and the Champions League — that it seems as if ogres are shaking a mighty tree, sure that in time all its fruit will fall into the owners’ hands."

as a city fan i cant wait until its fruit falls into my hands

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Didn't Germany lose to Spain in the World Cup :smuggo:

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
The best thing about that is Phil "hard to spell his last name" Jagleka

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...abused-him.html

princebishop75

Today 08:27 AM
Perhaps the FA just need to speak to some honest Liverpool season ticket holders, who were near one of the episodes. The word used was not used accidently, nor due to problems between languages/nationality.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

ephex posted:

Best post in the history of TRP. ephex is an amazing lad.

crappledan
Dec 17, 2009

Serious Title Contenders

quote:

I have somehow managed to get on the Barca training ground and standing in the shadow i closely follow my prey. All of the players are laughing and having a great tiki-taka-time, especially Iniesta with his likable baby face. He seems so innocent, being completely unaware that in a couple of minutes time, he'll suffer the pounding of his life.
I wait for the other players to leave. Being the nice guy that he is, Iniesta has promised to gather all the footballs used during training before hitting the showers. He stands there in the middle of the pitch with his back turned to me as i approach him.
"Sup, bra?!" I hiss. Poor Andrés is taken completely by surprise and as he turns around i pop him one right in the kisser. Smack! Andrés quickly moves his hand to his mouth reaching for the bruise while tears gather in he's eyes. "por qué?" he stutters on the verge of breaking into tears, now completely looking like a 12-year old boy in his scared and confused state. "This is for Chelsea" i scream, as i charge. And while i don't even like the London team after Abramovich took over, i just want him to feel like he in some way has helped all of this along. I want to make him feel like this is somehow actually his own fault.
I easily manage to get Andrés on the ground and start to pound him like a chimpanzee medically induced with rage, no technique at all just pure violent enthusiasm. He doesn't even try to resist the onslaught though after a short while, he seems to come to his senses. "Pique, pique" he whimpers desperately. "Pique can't hear you now, bra!" I cry out manically. "Its just you and me". He cries as i put my last energy into the pounding.
I stop just as suddenly as I started it all. Within few seconds I'm of the pitch running into the dark. I hear Andrés sobbing behind me, and while a part of me starts to feel guilty for what i just did, i start to think back on two games; november 2010 and may 2009. As these memories return, I suddenly stop in my tracks, turn around and run as fast as i can back towards Andrés and onto the pitch howling and screaming like the wild beast of the night, that I've turned into. "WHAT IS UP BRA?!"
The pounding has just begun.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
What the gently caress? Where is that from?

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

appledan posted:

:stare: :psypop:

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I... I think you win the thread. Holy poo poo.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Uh... pounding?

WHAT IS UP BRA?

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Seriously thouht this was going to turn into a rape fantasy at some point. And I think I would have deemed that more sane than the actual post.

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

Stars Stripes Freedom Jozy
(Jozy not pictured here)

appledan posted:

Tom...

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Katana Gomai posted:

Seriously thouht this was going to turn into a rape fantasy at some point.

quote:

"This is for Chelsea" i scream, as i charge. And while i don't even like the London team after Abramovich took over, i just want him to feel like he in some way has helped all of this along. I want to make him feel like this is somehow actually his own fault.

quote:

"Its just you and me". He cries as i put my last energy into the pounding.

Are you sure it didn't? :stare:

Some might say I'm taking some quotes out of context, I say I'm reading between the lines.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

appledan posted:

As these memories return, I suddenly stop in my tracks, turn around and run as fast as i can back towards Andrés and onto the pitch howling and screaming like the wild beast of the night, that I've turned into. "WHAT IS UP BRA?!"
The pounding has just begun.

Katana Gomai posted:

Seriously thouht this was going to turn into a rape fantasy at some point. And I think I would have deemed that more sane than the actual post.

Pretty sure he's going back to rape him based on this last section

Meat Wagon
Jul 14, 2004

quote:

Oh what a massive coincidence that 2 weeks ago no Man United player will back up Nani's claims of racism towards Suarez, but now someone comes forward, therefore the FA are taking it formal. Nani your a bell end, or is that a racist comment as well. Is it Rio backing him up by any chance, just like he is leading the argument for his brothers claim against Terry!!!!! Muppet

Wazzerphuk
Feb 9, 2001

Hating Chelsea before it was cool
Winner of the PWM POTM for September
Winner of the PWM POTM for January
Co-Winner of the PWM POTM for March
If you had to go on holiday with a member of the Fulham squad, who would it be? I don’t know a lot about our players – they all seem nice enough blokes, but it’s difficult to know those that you’d get on with, isn’t it.

Grygera in my head is the Croatian Doctor bloke from ER – if you squint – and he seems like quite a nice chap, so Grygera’s made the shortlist by dint of looking a bit like a bloke off the telly who seems like a good lad. And he’d be a great guide if you were holidaying in Croatia. Except I’ve just remembered he’s Czech and not Croatian – that’s the other fella. But there’s loads to see in the Czech Republic too. On the negative side, I’m not sure what his English is like, so late night scrabble might be a problem. But I bet he likes a beer.

Stephen Kelly, Chris Baird, Aaron Hughes: I’m lobbing this lot in the pot together. All seem like nice blokes who you could happily have a few beers with. I can see us hiring a car and going on a road trip round Ireland – probably staying with the folks, playing some golf, getting blind drunk in places called Pat’s Bar, Tom’s Bar, Magee’s etc. Waking up on a camp bed in the Kelly’s front room and sitting around talking about Bertie Ahern with his old man whilst Mrs Kelly knocks up a fry-up for the boys. How good would that be?

Brede Hangeland and Mark Schwarzer – I see these two as City Break company – I think you could take in some culture, wander off the beaten path, eat at hole in the wall places, and then go out drinking at a sensible pace until the early hours. I see Brede taking lots of picture of tired-looking doors and old men playing dominoes outside cafes. Not sure it would be a great laugh, but I reckon they’d be good, steady, sensible company. Late night scrabble in the hotel bar.

JAR – no chance. He’d eat everything and walk really slowly. You’d be forever waiting for him to catch-up. Reckon he could be a bit of a moaner too.

Phillipe Senderos – speaks loads of languages. That’s always handy. He could order stuff and it would save us always asking for an English copy of the menu or inadvertently ordering tripe when we wanted ice-cream.

Matthew Briggs – It’s an age thing. It wouldn’t work. I’d also get wound up by his poo poo hair.

Murphy, Bobby and Duff - I can see being quite hard work. Possibly unfair, but I get the impression you’d spend a lot of time at reception moaning about stuff that didn’t really matter and who needs that?

Steve Sidwell – This is probably extremely unfair and based on nothing but a hunch, but I can’t imagine going away with Sidwell for a week and him not getting in at least one fight at a cab rank. Too much trouble – it’d be like waiting for a time bomb to go off. Sorry Steve, but I don’t need that when I’m on holiday.

Simon Davies – He owns a couple of holiday homes in Wales, so that’s always a bonus. He seems like a decent bloke, I bet he gets on with the neighbours etc. Nice walks in the countryside, probably a sheepdog somewhere in there too, lots of climbing over stiles and jumping over brooks before retiring to the village pub for a night of beer, home-cooking and board games. Very relaxing week and a welcome break from hectic London.

Clint Dempsey – Clint looks like the most tired man in the world and I can’t see him doing much other than loafing about watching rubbish music videos all day. And if he did go out, he’d want to go to clubs playing the rubbish music they play all day on rubbish music video channels. I also see us in Pizza Hut every night.

Dickson Etuhu – Same as Clint except for the epic fatigue and not sure about Pizza Hut.

Dembele, Johnson and Ruiz – no idea. Of the three, I’d probably pick Ruiz (assuming he can speak English). Dembele could be interesting company and speaks French – does anyone know what sort of music he’s into?

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
there's nothing bad about that post wazzer

chuggo is BACK
Jul 1, 2008

"Chuggo"

PWM POTM December 2014
that is incredible

Psybro
May 12, 2002
I've been pretty stressed today but after reading that post I feel much better, thread wins.

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

Agree about JAR

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babby Thatcher
May 3, 2004

concept by my buddy kyle
that post does not belong in this thread