Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

There are some good points in the above posts about changing focus, though. During Hivebent, people did get frustrated that the focus had shifted on to the trolls and the act seemed to drag on a little. There was talk about how the kids were being forgotten and how even when we got back to the kids that they'd be sharing a lot of the stage with the trolls now.

Then when Act 5 part 2 started and we had horrorstuck where the trolls were getting killed, there were also some complaints that after having a whole sub-act dedicated to the trolls the kid still weren't getting the attention they deserved, with the trolls collectively taking on the importance of main characters.

Now however the troll cast has been trimmed down, and being physically close to the kids probably means their plot significance is also going to go down since the kids are more powerful and more central characters likely to overshadow the trolls in their scenes.

And now we have a new set of characters being introduced much as we had with Act 5 part 1, so understandably if you liked the trolls it'd be worrying to think that the main kids are going to remain the main characters and the reset kid guardians are going to be the shiny new secondary character group, leaving the trolls on as background characters.

Remember the exiles? They came in before the trolls, and were the more significant secondary character group after the kids for some time. The Troll act eclipsed them, however, and ultimately they dwindled in importance and screen-time. A similar thing might happen here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

If we are to assume that the main character count is going to end up 4 - 4 - 4 for the value of symmetry, and the remaining living trolls are Karkat, Terezi, Kanaya, Aradia, and Gamzee, which female troll is going to be offed to balance it all out?

I guess Kanaya is already dead anyway.

_Endgame_
Jun 19, 2010

NERF THIS!
http://i.imgur.com/GUGKJ.jpg

I'm not sure what to even say about that, Hussie has said "yes" >.>

marsattacks
Apr 2, 2011

Dolash posted:

There are some good points in the above posts about changing focus, though. During Hivebent, people did get frustrated that the focus had shifted on to the trolls and the act seemed to drag on a little. There was talk about how the kids were being forgotten and how even when we got back to the kids that they'd be sharing a lot of the stage with the trolls now.

Then when Act 5 part 2 started and we had horrorstuck where the trolls were getting killed, there were also some complaints that after having a whole sub-act dedicated to the trolls the kid still weren't getting the attention they deserved, with the trolls collectively taking on the importance of main characters.

Now however the troll cast has been trimmed down, and being physically close to the kids probably means their plot significance is also going to go down since the kids are more powerful and more central characters likely to overshadow the trolls in their scenes.

And now we have a new set of characters being introduced much as we had with Act 5 part 1, so understandably if you liked the trolls it'd be worrying to think that the main kids are going to remain the main characters and the reset kid guardians are going to be the shiny new secondary character group, leaving the trolls on as background characters.

Remember the exiles? They came in before the trolls, and were the more significant secondary character group after the kids for some time. The Troll act eclipsed them, however, and ultimately they dwindled in importance and screen-time. A similar thing might happen here.

I honestly feel like Hussie's invested too much time and effort into the trolls to just push them off to the side to the point where they have the same amount of screentime as the exiles do. The exiles, while wonderful and interesting, aren't nearly as fleshed out, as complex of characters, as the remaining trolls are. If anything, the fact that Hussie culled over half the trolls makes me think they'll have some sort of parity with the kids as Act 6 continues, since now there can be a tighter focus on a small group of trolls, instead of trying to juggle twelve. Seriously, trimming down the cast leads me to the exact opposite conclusion.

Man, this must be exactly what it felt like to go through Hivebent.

jvempire
May 10, 2009

_Endgame_ posted:

I have no idea what he's suppose to be, but the baby blue and sunglasses reminds me of only one thing. Horatio.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

_Endgame_ posted:

I don't know what I'm looking at.

What am I looking at here?

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
I, for one, am excited to meet these new characters. I'm fairly certain that John and co are going to show up at any moment so I'm not worried.

If this drags on for 2 months before we see the kids again though, then we have a problem.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

_Endgame_ posted:

Is... is that a Dave cosplayer with an ironic picture of himself?

edit: I can't handle this

edit: also http://christwire.org/2011/11/the-works-of-evil-andrew-hussies-devil-worship/

Walliard
Dec 29, 2010

Oppan Windfall Style

I love how the comments section is full of roleplaying.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

_Endgame_ posted:

This is pretty amazing, even though I don't think it has anything to do with Homestuck.

jvempire posted:

I have no idea what he's suppose to be, but the baby blue and sunglasses reminds me of only one thing. Horatio.

I don't think this has anything to do with anything except that it is amazing.

Pleasant Friend
Dec 30, 2008

Hanks Lust Cafe posted:

If we are to assume that the main character count is going to end up 4 - 4 - 4 for the value of symmetry, and the remaining living trolls are Karkat, Terezi, Kanaya, Aradia, and Gamzee, which female troll is going to be offed to balance it all out?

I guess Kanaya is already dead anyway.

Kanaya is like the only not d00med one of them though

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

_Endgame_ posted:

I can't verify this because I can't find the loving image, but isn't there some ad from Nintendo or something of a kid surfing through space on a console holding a light gun. Is it that kid?

voltroon
Apr 29, 2009
Has nobody mentioned that part of the background image on Jane's computer is a literal candy-corn vampire??

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
It's... from Problem Sleuth, and her room is littered with PS swag? I'm not sure what's especially surprising about it.

On second glance, that sight looks fun, if only for the headlines.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

haruspex posted:

Has nobody mentioned that part of the background image on Jane's computer is a literal candy-corn vampire??

She's made her love of Problem Sleuth pretty obvious, I don't see what is worthy of mention about it?

Soldier of Fortran
May 2, 2009

That's some quality satire. It took reading a couple articles to realize it was fake for sure. I've seen some very similar reviews cited by one of my more... conservative relatives.

VERY COOL MAN
Jun 24, 2011

THESE PACKETS ARE... SUMMARILY DEALT WITH

atomicthumbs posted:

Is... is that a Dave cosplayer with an ironic picture of himself?

edit: I can't handle this

edit: also http://christwire.org/2011/11/the-works-of-evil-andrew-hussies-devil-worship/

Ahahaha this is awesome. Christwire is so drat well-done I think it goes over a lot of people's heads that it's satire. I'm never going to stop calling Vriska "Vrickers." And Feferi will forever be "FIFI," the most popular troll.

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008

haruspex posted:

Someone hasn't read Problem Sleuth yet...

It's honestly kind of hard to recommend if you're just a fan of Homestuck, but it is entertaining in its own right, and it's fun as a contrast to see how Hussie / MSPA has evolved from the initial formula.

And of course all the callbacks that show up in Homestuck.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Ghost of Starman posted:

It's honestly kind of hard to recommend if you're just a fan of Homestuck, but it is entertaining in its own right, and it's fun as a contrast to see how Hussie / MSPA has evolved from the initial formula.

In my (lowly) opinion you can't be much of a Homestuck fan if you've never read Problem Sleuth. You can't get all the jokes or running gags in Homestuck, since there are so many callbacks. Plus the whole of act one made way more sense and was funny if you just came out of reading Problem Sleuth.

Also it is funny and awesome and worth a read.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

In my even lower opinion, you haven't had the full Homestuck experience if you haven't followed the whole thing after having followed Problem Sleuth as it happened - and now you never will!

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Ammat The Ankh posted:

In my (lowly) opinion you can't be much of a Homestuck fan if you've never read Problem Sleuth. You can't get all the jokes or running gags in Homestuck, since there are so many callbacks. Plus the whole of act one made way more sense and was funny if you just came out of reading Problem Sleuth.

Also it is funny and awesome and worth a read.

Problem Sleuth is sort of a massive slog though what with it having very simple art, no dialogue, and no animations. It's quite good but it's looooong and it absolutely delights in the old switch-a-roo/frustrated expectations gag traditional to MSPA in a way that is less cute than tiresome (dat final boss). It has this massive framework of things happening simultaneously in a way you're supposed to keep track of, but it's almost completely absent characterisation and though it's padded out immensely the plot is paper thin - which means you sort of don't care about all the things happening on a level other than "isn't it silly that all these ridiculous things are happening". It's hard to bother to keep up with the unapologetic complexity of it for the sake of that!

I read it after I got into Homestuck, and while I don't regret it I wouldn't really recommend it to anyone else. It's fine but despite being way shorter than Homestuck, it feels way longer, and not in a good way. What in-jokes are you missing anyway, really? Certainly none that will actually mar your appreciation of the comic. Besides, most of the PS in-jokes are repeated enough within Homestuck that they become in-jokes independent of Problem Sleuth.

Android Blues fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Nov 15, 2011

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

But it's really really funny.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Maybe my judgement is clouded because I read Problem Sleuth first and liked it. v:v:v

Perhaps if you've already read Homestuck there's no point in reading Problem Sleuth, although I can go back and enjoy reading bits of it again so who knows. In any case, I would recommend it, especially to anybody starting out with MSPA as a whole.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Maybe my judgement is clouded because I read Problem Sleuth first and liked it. v:v:v

Perhaps if you've already read Homestuck there's no point in reading Problem Sleuth, although I can go back and enjoy reading bits of it again so who knows. In any case, I would recommend it, especially to anybody starting out with MSPA as a whole.

Nah, I liked it a lot, too. I actually bought a couple Problem Sleuth books (and intend to keep buying them!) I didn't get into MSPA until Homestuck was well underway and read that first.

Though I suppose it's worth mentioning that when I did read Problem Sleuth, I was reading the older MSPA adventures, so its quality may have seemed higher by comparison. :v:

Armadillos!
Mar 28, 2010

I'm a swimming cat. Have you heard of a candy that gives courage and strength to weaklings? No? I see. But you're a strong goon, so I doubt you would need any.
Problem Sleuth is great.

If only for all the SEPULCHRITU--nope bits.

HalfHazard
Mar 29, 2010

I heard about Homestuck before I heard about Problem Sleuth, but I decided to read Problem Sleuth before trying to read Homestuck, and I think I made the right decision. PS is very funny and it got me hooked on the site's type of humor and style, which helped with the "slow" beginning of Homestuck. The huge train of glorious nonsense that is its entire story makes up for its lack of depth, IMO.

I'd say PS is at least a good "primer" for the site. A ~2000 page primer maybe, but yeah, absolutely worth it.

Starmaker
Dec 29, 2009

My people I bring you a message from the Lord!
I'm really glad I got into MSPA back when PS was still going. I remember waiting a month or whatever for Homestuck to come out and being mildly perplexed by the rather substantial shift in setting. I also remember the MSPA forums filled with complaints about how Homestuck was slow and people responding that it couldn't possibly become as epic as PS (heh) without a slow build-up first, and to just be patient.

No one had any idea what Homestuck would end up being back then. It's kinda funny to think about.

marsattacks
Apr 2, 2011

Starmaker posted:

I'm really glad I got into MSPA back when PS was still going. I remember waiting a month or whatever for Homestuck to come out and being mildly perplexed by the rather substantial shift in setting. I also remember the MSPA forums filled with complaints about how Homestuck was slow and people responding that it couldn't possibly become as epic as PS (heh) without a slow build-up first, and to just be patient.

No one had any idea what Homestuck would end up being back then. It's kinda funny to think about.

I hope in however many years everyone looks back at the beginning of whatever Hussie's starting next in the same way.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I didn't mean to harsh so much on PS, by the way, it has its problems but it's by no means bad. It's just that going from Homestuck to PS feels to me like going from Final Fantasy 6 to plain old Final Fantasy: everything is uglier and less exciting, and none of the characters speak anymore. In many ways it feels like (and Hussie himself describes it as) an earlier iteration of the experimental project being carried out in Homestuck, and accordingly it seems to me that most of the flaws are magnified and a lot of the cool stuff is still in protoplasmic form.

Starmaker
Dec 29, 2009

My people I bring you a message from the Lord!
Nah, I get that. It's why I said I was glad to have been reading when it was still being made. It would be hard to go back to after Homestuck, but that's only if you're expecting something like Homestuck. PS was a silly webcomic made just to be funny and whatever. I was really impressed by it at the time, the way he weaved user submissions into a (somewhat) coherent plot, but Homestuck is really a completely different thing.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Android Blues posted:

Problem Sleuth is sort of a massive slog though what with it having very simple art, no dialogue, and no animations. It's quite good but it's looooong and it absolutely delights in the old switch-a-roo/frustrated expectations gag traditional to MSPA in a way that is less cute than tiresome (dat final boss). It has this massive framework of things happening simultaneously in a way you're supposed to keep track of, but it's almost completely absent characterisation and though it's padded out immensely the plot is paper thin - which means you sort of don't care about all the things happening on a level other than "isn't it silly that all these ridiculous things are happening". It's hard to bother to keep up with the unapologetic complexity of it for the sake of that!

I read it after I got into Homestuck, and while I don't regret it I wouldn't really recommend it to anyone else. It's fine but despite being way shorter than Homestuck, it feels way longer, and not in a good way. What in-jokes are you missing anyway, really? Certainly none that will actually mar your appreciation of the comic. Besides, most of the PS in-jokes are repeated enough within Homestuck that they become in-jokes independent of Problem Sleuth.

Are you...me?

Stop stealing my word-thoughts mind-verbatim.

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

quote:

uranianUmbra [UU] began cheering gutsyGumshoe [GG] at 11:17

What.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
Kidmom is the hero of Void? That's an interesting one.

Also, I don't know why, but UU feels especially hard to read for me.

By the way, to make this even more impregnable to casual readers, I propose that we call him You.

H.R. Hufflepuff
Aug 5, 2005
The worst of all worlds
You suddenly understand jack poo poo.

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!
I was just thinking this story didn't have enough universes in it yet. Hussie to the rescue.

(I do wonder if this is actually the truth. It seems a little too nice.)

Also: note the portrait of Grandpa John in the lid of that chest!

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

It only mentions the four, I don't think he's adding any more. Maybe this is a troll from the pre-scratch troll session or something.

Alectai
Dec 31, 2008

It doesn't matter how long I live, I will never have a hat as dashing as this.
Well, UU is certainly... Something, probably from the next universe (Where things finally start going right for a change).

That's just seriously an optimistic character, what the hell?

UU's handle is interestin though, just based on the whole "Uranium" part of their handle, and the fact that an Umbra is the part of a planetary shadow where a star's light can't reach

So, basically, their handle is "The Green Sun isn't relevant here!", given Uranium (And general radioactivity)'s association with it.

Also, Bro confirmed for Hero of Heart? (Given that it's the only title left untaken by a living person) Awesome.

Alectai fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Nov 15, 2011

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Cleretic posted:

Kidmom is the hero of Void? That's an interesting one.

Also, I don't know why, but UU feels especially hard to read for me.

By the way, to make this even more impregnable to casual readers, I propose that we call him You.

Her. Unless Jane is wrong about that too I guess? But it doesn't seem terribly likely.

e: also note that the troll associated with the caduceus is very helpful and talks about healing and stuff. Shallow observation but worthwhile, and of course a stark contrast to Karkat's similar log with John and his association with cancer!

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

On reflection... Yeah, this person seems pretty positive and nice.

Kind of the opposite of Karkat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

H.R. Hufflepuff posted:

You suddenly understand jack poo poo.

Actually, this clears up a lot. That the eight player session will not only happen, but was apparently destined to, for one. And that even if LE survives (he will), the kids and trolls have a chance at a happy ending away from him. poo poo is genuinely looking up. :unsmith: