Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I am pumped, actually. There is a whole bunch of new stuff going on that has just been implied by this character and that still hovers on the hazy edge of possibility where it just really might be anything. Which is a cool feeling!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.
So, the kids and the kid-versions of the guardians are going to play an 8-player session that is circumstantially simultaneous with a group of nice-trolls. If memory serves correct, trolls in the the troll session before the trolls we know (Karkat et. al) didn't have what it took to win the game. I wager this UU is a member of this first troll session, which would complete this multi-universal, mobious double-reacharound quite nicely.

And there, in the lid of the chest, is this universe's version of John. It sure is going to be weird to have both the guardian-version and the kid-version of the kids rolling around in the same universe.

Edit: this uranianUmbra is oddly Commonwealth in the way she types.

Roger Explosion fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Nov 15, 2011

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Well, that sure as gently caress is a thing that just happened.

I went :haw: at the picture of Grandpa John. That was seriously awesome. It's the little things, really.

Roger Explosion posted:

So, the kids and the kid-versions of the guardians are going to play an 8-player session that is circumstantially simultaneous with a group of nice-trolls. If memory serves correct, trolls in the the troll session before the trolls we know (Karkat et. al) didn't have what it took to win the game. I wager this UU is a member of this first troll session, which would complete this multi-universal, mobious double-reacharound quite nicely.

And there, in the lid of the chest, is this universe's version of John. It sure is going to be weird to have both the guardian-version and the kid-version of the kids rolling around in the same universe.

Maybe it's the Signless? I mean, with the huge and stupidly obvious juxtaposition to Karkat's first conversation with Jade and all...

I really don't dislike the idea of learning more about the pre-Scratch Troll Ancestors, but Hussie did say "That would be such a shitload of trolls!!!!!!" and he is right, that would be such a shitload of trolls.

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!
The Signless wasn't a girl.

If this is someone from the pre-scratch trollverse, I agree with what seems to be the popular view that it's probably the one corresponding to the Condesce. But despite the daedric font I don't think this is the case - that would just be depressing as hell to follow along, given that we already know their session ends in failure and a Scratch. If UU is genuine, she knows who these players are and that they'll succeed - that alone suggests it's someone else entirely. I think one option is that it's someone from the English-free universe they'll end up creating, although I wouldn't go so far as to say it's certainly that.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Roger Explosion posted:

All the better to add Us into her dialogue.

Still, it's a nice change to see a mysterious entity get immediately introduced as being on the heroes' side.

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?
But UU is a girl, right? I don't think we had any girl trolls that fit this description introduced.

They've made an ask blog on tumblr already haven't they? :sigh:

annatar
Jan 14, 2007
hellol
Uranian is a extraordinarily loaded term that can mean someone from Uranus (therefore a generic alien) or a very archaic term for a transexual http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uranian

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.

Hamiltonian Bicycle posted:

If UU is genuine, she knows who these players are and that they'll succeed - that alone suggests it's someone else entirely. I think one option is that it's someone from the English-free universe they'll end up creating, although I wouldn't go so far as to say it's certainly that.
But if she's from an English-free universe and starting another session, doesn't that mean they're just about to make another universe? That would be such a shitload of universes!

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Going to have to agree with Hamiltonian Bicycle there, the alternative would be suicidally depressing. At this point even if the story ended like Mostly Harmless, at least it would be over, even if everyone dying is a bit of a downer. Completing an unending loop of misery and misfortune would be much worse.

Also not everything has to be a time loop, geez.

Roger Explosion posted:

But if she's from an English-free universe and starting another session, doesn't that mean they're just about to make another universe? That would be such a shitload of universes!

That's kind of the point!

e/ Clarification: the point being that the game is a method of universal propagation/reproduction. It's not like we have to visit them all in the story, just like we don't have to watch a character's entire lineage unfold whenever somebody has a baby (most of the time). It's implied that there are already a shitload of other universes, in much the same way there are many other trolls and humans, but they aren't the focus of the story. 8 kids out of several billion, 12 trolls out of probably a lot more than that, 5 universes OUT OF MEMORY ERR. No big deal.

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Nov 15, 2011

sansuki
May 17, 2003

Maybe all the devils have become angels now.

And it will turn out that Eridan was simply killing ancient pre-First Scratch Trolls.

sansuki fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Nov 15, 2011

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Roger Explosion posted:

Well, we've still got that perfect Genesis Tadpole lying around. At least, assuming it getting dropped into the volcano turns out to be a good thing (because it's the incubator) rather than the punchline to a shaggy dog story.

It does also seem like a good way to escape Lord English's influence. My guess is that English's game plan is based on a kind of flawed symbiosis with paradox space: he (via Doc Scratch) makes universes that are flawed "good enough" to spawn new ones by making the societies within them more violent and competitive. But then he eats the universe afterwards. Maybe a perfect universe, one that could produce a society that could beat SBurb and be a nice place to live - and crucially, not have to rely on Lord English - is the ultimate way to win.

annatar posted:

Uranian is a extraordinarily loaded term that can mean someone from Uranus (therefore a generic alien) or a very archaic term for a transexual http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uranian
Oh hey, sweet catch.

Paul.Power fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Nov 15, 2011

Starmaker
Dec 29, 2009

My people I bring you a message from the Lord!
Holy poo poo, there is a thirteenth troll.

Edit: Ophiucus is the (sorta) thirteenth sign of the zodiac. His sign looks like a U. He's often associated with medicine and protection from poison/snakes - thus the caduceus (plus I think that might also be a symbol associated with the constellation). The Constellation has also been described as trampling Scorpio under his feet, so that's a thing too.

What I'm saying is, UU is gonna have a thing for snakes.

Starmaker fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Nov 15, 2011

sansuki
May 17, 2003

Starmaker posted:

The thirteenth troll is all the trolls in one. Like...like a lasagna. Layer of sauce, layer of troll.

TURTLE SLUT
Dec 12, 2005

:stare: Wow, this act got confusing fast. So now we have more universes and more sessions and more trolls??

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I suddenly still understand nothing.

I thought the Scratch would only reset the Kids' universe? If the Troll universe was separate, it shouldn't have been affected, right?

Unless there's a third universe...:psyduck:

For that matter, how would Her Condense take over Earth without the ability to travel between universes?

cloudy music
Aug 23, 2008

sansuki posted:

The thirteenth troll is all the trolls in one. Like...like a lasagna. Layer of sauce, layer of troll.

Just what is a rainbow drinker's purpose, anyways?

H.R. Hufflepuff
Aug 5, 2005
The worst of all worlds

cloudy music posted:

Just what is a rainbow drinker's purpose, anyways?

To liberally apply lipstick to the midsections of murderous hipster douchebags, apparently.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

Starmaker posted:

Edit: Ophiucus is the (sorta) thirteenth sign of the zodiac. His sign looks like a U. He's often associated with medicine and protection from poison/snakes - thus the caduceus (plus I think that might also be a symbol associated with the constellation). The Constellation has also been described as trampling Scorpio under his feet, so that's a thing too.

What I'm saying is, UU is gonna have a thing for snakes.

I'm pretty sure the icon bubble has snakes on it. Also the whole U gimmick can be seen as beakers.

vetinari100
Nov 8, 2009

> Make her pay.
It looks like the new conversation is a callback to this one.

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.
^^ Nicely spotted.

Wasn't UU as a troll handle suggested ages ago when the trolls were still all being revealed? I seem to remember it from one of the previous threads.

That being said, we're going to have an awful amount of characters to deal with soon.

Either that, or Jade's Prospit ship will crash through the fourth wall crushing Ms. Lalonde and prematurely ending this session. :v:

Blood Nightmaster
Sep 6, 2011

“また遊んであげるわ!”
Okay, so usually I'm pretty good at understanding this comic's weird time and plot poo poo but I have to admit, the 8-player session thing has somehow completely slipped by me. Could somebody break that down a bit? I mean, I can remember the supposed 'squiddle' session that made Alternia, and the session that happened pre-Troll ancestors that was basically doomed from the start, but can't recall where the 8-player one fits in. Or even where it was referred to previously. Was this brought up in a formspring question or actually in-story? Or is it more of a fan-theory type of deal?

I apologize in advance if this is something that's actually really obvious, it's just that this new pesterlog comes up and between the U/possible Ophiucus quirk and Karkat callback parallels I suddenly don't know what the gently caress. :psyduck:

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
BLUH BLUH

THOROUGHLY PLEASANT ACQUAINTANCE

H.P. Shivcraft
Mar 17, 2008

STAY UNRULY, YOU HEARTLESS MONSTERS!

annatar posted:

Yeah, and since trolls don't have binary biological sexes in the way we understand them, only apparent gender preferences, it's totally possible that pre-Scratch Karkat identified as a very nice and supportive girl.

Although this sounds incredibly like fanfiction so I'm going to stop now.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Blood Nightmaster posted:

Okay, so usually I'm pretty good at understanding this comic's weird time and plot poo poo but I have to admit, the 8-player session thing has somehow completely slipped by me. Could somebody break that down a bit? I mean, I can remember the supposed 'squiddle' session that made Alternia, and the session that happened pre-Troll ancestors that was basically doomed from the start, but can't recall where the 8-player one fits in. Or even where it was referred to previously. Was this brought up in a formspring question or actually in-story? Or is it more of a fan-theory type of deal?

I apologize in advance if this is something that's actually really obvious, it's just that this new pesterlog comes up and between the U/possible Ophiucus quirk and Karkat callback parallels I suddenly don't know what the gently caress. :psyduck:

Way back (this is obscure) when Rose was in the SkaiaNet labs there was a diagram of an eight planet session on one of the terminals she looked at. The same diagram recently reappeared in one of Doc Scratch's scrapbook collages. Evidence has been mounting up lately that the four guardian-kids will be joined in their incipisphere by the four original kids along with their planets and battlefield (toted by Jade), making a new, eight player session.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Blood Nightmaster posted:

The 8-player session is this one we're witnessing right now. It's presumably going to involve the four scratched guardians (i.e. Jane, Jake, Kid Mom, and Kid Bro) and the four original kids (John, Rose, Dave, and Jade) when they make there way into this universe.

As for where it was referred to previously - the theory about an 8-player session has been around since Act 3 when a screen in the Skaianet labs showed a session with 8 planets around Skaia. It wasn't until recently that we began to have an idea what this session would be or if it would even be significant.

Edit: Here's the relevant page - http://www.mspaintadventures.com/?s=6&p=002774

Regy Rusty fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Nov 15, 2011

voltroon
Apr 29, 2009

Reene posted:

On reflection... Yeah, this person seems pretty positive and nice.

Kind of the opposite of Karkat.

This makes me nervous, actually. While Karkat was all angry bluster but generally good, this individual is almost . . . too nice and helpful? And therefore I'm assuming they're probably sinister.

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

I admire man's ability to see beauty in everything! Even a flame!
I think the lime-green whatever that UU is associated with is probably something close to the blood color Karkat would have had if he'd been in the right place in the hemospectrum (between Sollux and Nepeta) instead of a mutant. There's an empty spot in the spectrum, so there's an empty spot for our good friend Ophiuchus!

(Andrew Hussie??? Are you there?? Can you tell us if your "all fantrolls are canon even the lovely ones" still applies to Ophiuchus trolls. I am dying to know.)

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Here is the page with the 8-player session. e:f;b

Anyway I don't think UU is from the trolls' pre-Scratch universe since she has her own sign and everything. Also, where does everyone get KidMom being the hero of void from? I completely missed anything about that when reading the log.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

YF-23 posted:

Anyway I don't think UU is from the trolls' pre-Scratch universe since she has her own sign and everything. Also, where does everyone get KidMom being the hero of void from? I completely missed anything about that when reading the log.

"UU: thoUgh i do have a wee bit more troUble monitoring her than the rest of yoU. cUrioUs dark patches in transmission, hUmph."

Sounds very similar to what Doc Scratch said about Equius and his ancestor.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

YF-23 posted:

UU mentions frustrating dark spots in her vision when trying to view Kid Mom, which is similar to incidences prior to this of Equius and Darkleer (the previous Heroes of Void) blocking Doc Scratch's sight of his cueballs.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Android Blues posted:

Way back (this is obscure) when Rose was in the SkaiaNet labs there was a diagram of an eight planet session on one of the terminals she looked at. The same diagram recently reappeared in one of Doc Scratch's scrapbook collages. Evidence has been mounting up lately that the four guardian-kids will be joined in their incipisphere by the four original kids along with their planets and battlefield (toted by Jade), making a new, eight player session.

I wonder if it'll be a double-yolker as well?

FewtureMD
Dec 19, 2010

I am very powerful, of course.

YF-23 posted:

UU has difficulty viewing kidMom through the viewport, and an inability to be remotely viewed is an inherent aspect of a Void hero. Mindfang stashed her cueball with Darkleer because he couldn't be viewed by Doc Scratch, for example.

edit: f,b 3x combo

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Oh I'd forgotten about Scratch having trouble monitoring Equius and the Darkleer. Thanks!

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
UU is pre-scratch Karkat. He finally managed to transcend beyond the Quadrants, and now is a paragon of kindness and romantic advice.

GenericOverusedName fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Nov 15, 2011

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

FewtureMD posted:

UU has difficulty viewing kidMom through the viewport, and an inability to be remotely viewed is an inherent aspect of a Void hero. Mindfang stashed her cueball with Darkleer because he couldn't be viewed by Doc Scratch, for example.

edit: f,b 3x combo

Well, let's not be so hasty - Aradia could view Equius just fine as his server player, so it's possible it's specifically First Guardian/Green Sun-powered omniscience that Void heroes aVoid, or other special types - or maybe just sinister types that mean them ill. UU could be something we don't expect!

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

I admire man's ability to see beauty in everything! Even a flame!
If Mom is the hero of Void as is implied here, I really hope it means that Bro is the hero of Heart because oh my god.

EDIT: Also the picture of grandpa-John in Jane's chest is adorable.

Admiral Lasers
Dec 10, 2000

A thought! with these new four, we ought to now have all 12 hero types represented in living players. Only trouble is, we know Sollux, our current Doom representative, isn't going to be with us much longer.

Is it possible that uU is a Doom hero in the same way Eridan was a Hope hero? meaning, his role ultimately was to extinguish hope. Could not uU be a Doom hero in that same sense, since she seems to be all for healing and fixing things?

H.P. Shivcraft
Mar 17, 2008

STAY UNRULY, YOU HEARTLESS MONSTERS!
Oh also I don't remember if this was mentioned but the last few things uU says imply the Sassacre book in Jane's possession is in fact the one from the pre-Scratch kid session, with Nanna's inscription.

(It might not be, the reference to her handwriting could mean something else, but it's there.)

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Admiral Lasers posted:

Is it possible that uU is a Doom hero in the same way Eridan was a Hope hero? meaning, his role ultimately was to extinguish hope. Could not uU be a Doom hero in that same sense, since she seems to be all for healing and fixing things?
That is exactly what I was thinking. The implication that I got out of this conversation is that we are actually going to have two distinct sessions, one of the old and new kids, and one of apparently the trolls. If so, then I would have to believe it would be UU plus the trolls we already know. And that doesn't really work unless one bites it, and if one is going to die it will probably be Sollux. Thus UU should be Doom to have all 12 elements present.

As to who she is, for now I'm going to guess a pre-scratch troll that escaped the scratch just like our kids did. Perhaps she is going to be a Seer of Doom and was able to see the consequences of the scratch.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Nov 15, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

GenericOverusedName posted:

UU is pre-scratch Karkat. He finally managed to transcend beyond the Quadrants, and now is a paragon of kindness and romantic advice.

Are you trying to imply he wasn't already a paragon of romantic advice? :colbert:

H.P. Shivcraft posted:

Oh also I don't remember if this was mentioned but the last few things uU says imply the Sassacre book in Jane's possession is in fact the one from the pre-Scratch kid session, with Nanna's inscription.

(It might not be, the reference to her handwriting could mean something else, but it's there.)

It is the very same, or a perfect copy of it; you can see the LOWAS oil stains on it in [S]Act 6.

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Nov 15, 2011