Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
Can we please stop having this argument all the loving time? I know I participated in this many time but gently caress does it get old.

The only true meaning of judo is to sweep the leg like Johny

IMG_6525 by king colliwog, on Flickr

KingColliwog fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Nov 15, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ridleys Revenge
Mar 24, 2007

B...B..BUT IM SUCH A "NICE GUY"!

ps if you see me post in E/N tell me to continue therapy for my anger and entitlement issues and stop behaving like a textbook example of a whiny twat
Yes, weight classes are anti-judo, a Kano vs. Yoshida match would be silly for a variety of reasons and wouldn't prove anything, and I agree with you wholeheartedly KC- this discussion comes up way too often, but what does it say about us if we let the wrong attitude propagate because we're just too tired of the discussion to correct it? It's a definite 'rock and a hard place' situation for me

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Kano versus Yoshida would be terrifying because one man has been dead for over sixty years.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Xguard86 posted:

Kano versus Yoshida would be terrifying because one man has been dead for over sixty years.

At 10th Dan you learn how to re-animate.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
dead men don't post their arms

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

origami posted:

dead men don't post their arms

except for a few hours right after death where that's all they do.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
I've been thinking about learning Judo, there's a place that teaches it a little way from here, but like many goons I'm pretty overweight, and I'm worried about hurting myself* would it benefit me to lose weight before going?
Hypothetically speaking, if I wanted to be Batman levels of badass, what martial art[s] would you recommend to me?

e: I guess I should quantify how fat I am, 5' 8" and 220lb

* I'm also worried about being beaten up by an 81 year old man.

Crankit fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Nov 14, 2011

Ridleys Revenge
Mar 24, 2007

ps if you see me post in E/N tell me to continue therapy for my anger and entitlement issues and stop behaving like a textbook example of a whiny twat
I remember once when I was a green belt, I spent the day working on cartwheeling out of tomoe nages (circle throws), and got pretty drat good at it.
Later, I was in randori against a black belt who was training for Nationals, and he hit me with a yoko tomoe nage (sideways circle throw). I attempted to post my hand to cartwheel, but because the sideways variation changes the angle of the throw, I realized too late that I was about to fall the wrong way over my wrist, and I couldn't lift it up because my weight was already on it.
I vividly remember looking in horror at the judoka who was throwing me (while flying through the air), and seeing him split-second register the source of my fear, and change the angle of his throw to free my wrist before it broke. I learned more judo that day than I did through my first clean throw.

r.y.f.s.o.
Mar 1, 2003
classically trained

Crankit posted:

I've been thinking about learning Judo, there's a place that teaches it a little way from here, but like many goons I'm pretty overweight, and I'm worried about hurting myself* would it benefit me to lose weight before going?
Hypothetically speaking, if I wanted to be Batman levels of badass, what martial art[s] would you recommend to me?

Don't worry about losing the weight, just go, see if you like it, and the weight will work itself out with the improved discipline and motivation that comes with getting into a martial art.

At least that's how it did for me.

I was a bit of a tubbo, 6'0" and 215, but I was definitely lacking in anything resembling muscle from years of lifting nothing heavier than a notebook and my fingers to type on it. I got sick of feeling like a wet noodle constantly and chose BJJ / Muay Thai in the hope it would beat the fear and fat out of me, and it did.

Once I got into the groove of training, suddenly I was thinking, I better have my cardio in order before the next roll, so I'm not lying in the corner puking again while 16 and 60 year olds laugh at me. I was forced to acknowledge that a better diet and overall fitness approach was necessary if I wanted to hang in the gym.

Just dive in man. Judo is awesome and great fun, western boxing is great, Muay Thai is great, and there's always the obvious one I'm gonna recommend, BJJ.

TheStampede
Feb 20, 2008

"I'm like a hunter of peace. One who chases the elusive mayfly of love... or something like that."

Ridleys Revenge posted:

I remember once when I was a green belt, I spent the day working on cartwheeling out of tomoe nages (circle throws), and got pretty drat good at it.
Later, I was in randori against a black belt who was training for Nationals, and he hit me with a yoko tomoe nage (sideways circle throw). I attempted to post my hand to cartwheel, but because the sideways variation changes the angle of the throw, I realized too late that I was about to fall the wrong way over my wrist, and I couldn't lift it up because my weight was already on it.
I vividly remember looking in horror at the judoka who was throwing me (while flying through the air), and seeing him split-second register the source of my fear, and change the angle of his throw to free my wrist before it broke. I learned more judo that day than I did through my first clean throw.

Not to be an rear end or dog-pile, but I don't usually go around trying to break the arms of people I train with in MT or Jits. Sportsmanship and concern for your fellow partner's safety is hardly something unique to Judo.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Crankit posted:

Do it. Do it.

"Batman levels of badass": crosstrain a striking art with a grappling art, typically for MMA this will be kickboxing/BJJ

Ridleys Revenge
Mar 24, 2007

TheStampede posted:

Not to be an rear end or dog-pile, but I don't usually go around trying to break the arms of people I train with in MT or Jits. Sportsmanship and concern for your fellow partner's safety is hardly something unique to Judo.

You and I applaud the good sportsmanship, but from the all-too-prevalent 'win or die' perspective, that kind of thing is just weakness, which is why modern judoka (especially at the top levels) do employ everything from eye gouges to biting if they think they can get away with it. See why I'm so concerned about letting that attitude stand unquestioned?

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Ridleys Revenge posted:

Yes, weight classes are anti-judo, a Kano vs. Yoshida match would be silly for a variety of reasons and wouldn't prove anything, and I agree with you wholeheartedly KC- this discussion comes up way too often, but what does it say about us if we let the wrong attitude propagate because we're just too tired of the discussion to correct it? It's a definite 'rock and a hard place' situation for me

How many people have changed their views on this issue in this forum since the first time this argument came up? It's cool that we have a discussion about posting arms to avoid fall, but let's not make it about real judo or whatever. It's about as useful and constructive as all those arguments between atheists and hardcore Christians that pop up from time to time.

Posting your arm to avoid falling on your back is a stupid decision, except when you're in a very high level championship where it might change your life if you manage to not fall on your back (breaking an arm suck, but it's not the end of the world either). At this level it's not even a question that really relates to judo. Most people would probably accept to have a high risk of breaking their arm if it meant they would get similar money and fame that will come from a gold medal at the Olympics. I know I would gladly take the broken arm. I broke a few bones in the past and while it's certainly not pleasant, it's really not that horrible either.

Ridleys Revenge
Mar 24, 2007

You're not being fair. This would be comparable to a debate between theists and atheists if the atheists were claiming to be Catholics (and if we could prove God personally wrote the Bible)

And minds don't change quickly. As long as we lead by example and tell the facts, we're doing what we can.

Ridleys Revenge fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Nov 15, 2011

r.y.f.s.o.
Mar 1, 2003
classically trained

mewse posted:

"Batman levels of badass": crosstrain a striking art with a grappling art, typically for MMA this will be kickboxing/BJJ

Also I would like to note that going into a martial art with the intention of becoming batman / badass / a badass batman man is silly and a bad idea.

In this case it's not fatness that's gonna cause injury, it's the notion that you're there to learn to be a bad bad man. I've been training for 4 years and I am decent but I am not an asskicker. I am a nerd who likes competitive ground hugging with no illusions about that.

Ridleys Revenge posted:

You're not being fair. This would be comparable to a debate between theists and atheists if the atheists were claiming to be Catholics (and if we could prove God personally wrote the Bible)

No True Judoka fallacy.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

r.y.f.s.o. posted:

Also I would like to note that going into a martial art with the intention of becoming batman / badass / a badass batman man is silly and a bad idea.

In this case it's not fatness that's gonna cause injury, it's the notion that you're there to learn to be a bad bad man. I've been training for 4 years and I am decent but I am not an asskicker. I am a nerd who likes competitive ground hugging with no illusions about that.

The funniest thing about doing martial arts is that the more you do them, the more you realize that human beings are pretty fragile fleshbags, which makes you less of a batman and more of a ghandi.

And that, is martial arts in a nutshell.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES

r.y.f.s.o. posted:

I just want to point out, the batman scenario wasn't serious, in case you're all now thinking I'm a madman going to defend puckins with my bare hands.

r.y.f.s.o.
Mar 1, 2003
classically trained

Drewjitsu posted:

The funniest thing about doing martial arts is that the more you do them, the more you realize that human beings are pretty fragile fleshbags, which makes you less of a batman and more of a ghandi.

And that, is martial arts in a nutshell.

This is too true. I learned to be a lot more careful after a bad fall left me hosed up for a couple years. Much more careful now.

Crankit posted:

I just want to point out, the batman scenario wasn't serious, in case you're all now thinking I'm a madman going to defend puckins with my bare hands.

No worries, I just felt compelled to say something because I remember entertaining similar thoughts before I got into the swing of things and I know lots of others think that way. Some of my least favorite memories of the gym involve ragin' dudes trying to be real hard like.

Also I want to emphasize the difference between real world self defense techniques, such as:

1.) Run
2.) Run and scream
3.) Run and call the cops
4.) Avoid the situation altogether

... and all the things you're gonna learn in the gym. Couldn't be further apart.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
I understand that self defense is way more than knowing martial arts, and I understand the conventional wisdom that it is best to create separation between you and an aggressor. But I'm getting tired of the platitude that you only need Nike-do and that martial arts are useless in a self defense situation. Of course if it is just you and you have the opportunity to deescalate or run that is fine but there are a lot of real situations in which you cannot. Years ago before I did martial arts, I stopped an attempted murder-suicide by a friend's ex-boyfriend. I could have ran and called the police but my friend would have been injured or killed during that time. Having no real choice, another male friend and I tackled the ex-boyfriend although we were unarmed and he had a weapon. Another time, a female roommate answered our door to find a stranger pushing his way into our home assuming she was home alone. I had no ability to retreat without leaving her alone to defend herself so I had to charge the guy. I know many others in my gym who have had to use their training to defend themselves or others. These were not simple bar room ego contests. These were life threatening situations. It isn't always as simple as just giving up your wallet or retreating, and it does help to know an effective martial art.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Nov 15, 2011

r.y.f.s.o.
Mar 1, 2003
classically trained

Yuns posted:

I understand that self defense is way more than knowing martial arts, and I understand the conventional wisdom that it is best to create separation between you and an aggressor. But I'm getting tired of the platitude that you only need Nike-do and that martial arts are useless in a self defense situation. ... It isn't always as simple as just giving up your wallet or retreating, and it does help to know an effective martial art.

Maybe I was too broad with my words, I don't disagree, but I never meant to portray practicing how to fight as completely useless in a fightin' situation, just that the first things that you should think of when it comes to non-sport physical confrontation is "don't" with the obvious caveat that if it comes to a fight, you'd better win and win fast. When someone mentions batman or hero-like aspirations, however facetiously, in their rationalization of starting martial arts I emphasize how silly that is. I remember a story of a talented MMA fighter getting stabbed to death while mounted on the smaller dude and raining down punches.

A previous relationship of mine was with a girl who had been assaulted years before, and I insisted we drill self defense basics like what to do if someones restraining you, trying to choke or smother you, etc. Repeatedly went over how to throw a punch / knee / whatever (to the throat and nuts especially) and emphasized the need to not freeze and act on muscle memory in panic situations.

A year after we broke up she called me at 2 AM in a panic, her most recent ex had tried to force himself on her and wouldn't let go of her, she knee'd him in the nuts and got a good throat shot in, left him on the floor, ran and called the cops, then me. I'm still proud of that and am a believer that knowing and training how to deal with that is a Good Thing for anyone.

Some years before that I got assaulted in the middle of a bad breakup argument, she took a swing at my eyes with nails out (still have scars on my hand from where I blocked it), I was able to restrain her without hurting her until she calmed down, and I attribute that ability to my time training. So I understand the power of training a martial art, don't get me wrong, but when I'm giving advice to people thinking about starting it up I will always skew it in the direction of deflating any notions of being a hero and kickin' rear end. The chances of you needing to use it are slim, and should only be seen as a very very last resort.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

220 and 5'8" is not too fat to start Judo. I started at 340 and 5'10". In fact I'm still 290. My weight probably does hold me back from being very good (which is why I'm trying to lose it). If you want to lose weight you're going to need to exercise. So if you start Judo now and just throttle back the intensity to match your fitness level you will start to get in shape in a way that a)is more fun than treadmills or whatever and b)teaches you some skill.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Hellblazer187 posted:

220 and 5'8" is not too fat to start Judo. I started at 340 and 5'10". In fact I'm still 290. My weight probably does hold me back from being very good (which is why I'm trying to lose it). If you want to lose weight you're going to need to exercise. So if you start Judo now and just throttle back the intensity to match your fitness level you will start to get in shape in a way that a)is more fun than treadmills or whatever and b)teaches you some skill.

That. I'm not fat at all, but there's plenty of guy who are either fat or used to be fat when they started. You'll have advantages and disadvantages that will come with your weight. Learn how to use them and you'll do well. Also, you will lose weight, especially if you don't do many sports right now. And, doing judo (or any other competitive martial arts) might give you some motivation additional motivation to train out of the dojo too!

Being fat is no reason to not start right now. If you wait you'll always say to yourself that you were dumb for wasting all that time not training.

Bangkero
Dec 28, 2005

I baptize thee
not in the name of the father
but in the name of the devil.

KingColliwog posted:

Just finished uploading them. Funny thing is I usually am best a ground work but did all the worst thing ever in ground work at the comp haha.

I'm the guy with the long hair and tape all over his injuries.

My first fight :

I was loving stressed and did nothing except suck and lose the fight.
http://www.youtube.com/user/KingColliwog#p/a/u/2/y2Mz0PQI6Js

My second fight :

I felt better and it was fun. Established my grips the way I wanted. Missed a couple of opportunities, but did a loosy kouchi that worked pretty well.
http://www.youtube.com/user/KingColliwog#p/a/u/2/_eyRemWu1D0

My third fight :

Went through the whole 3 mins. Did many horrible things but ended up winning by points (I'm really passive in the last minute because I was ok with just keeping the point advantage). Had the guy in a hold but when the judge said that the timer was starting I thought he said mate so I let the guy go like an idiot! If the guy had any ground work skill I would have lost on many occasion. There's no word to describe how much I was gassing out during this fight.
http://www.youtube.com/user/KingColliwog#p/a/u/0/1G19ELyNa68

My fourth fight :
Didn't know I was supposed to fight until like 1 min before the fight so I wasn't into it (after my pool was over, I thought it was done but there was enough people in my weight class to make some semi-finals and since I was 2nd best in my pool I was to fight against the winner of the other pool). Hurt my elbow when I posted my arm during that throw. Pretty happy with my escape from side control and from mount. Bonus point for one of the girls in my club being loving energetic in the corner all fight long hahaha
http://www.youtube.com/user/KingColliwog#p/a/u/0/JKNPX3GnnOI

The two guys I lost again were both quite a bit stronger and more experienced than me so that's cool too.

edit : watching the videos I noticed that wow... I almost only did ko ouchi gari the whole comp :|. Also, I really like that small Ko uchi to Ouchi gari combo in the second video.

nice going KC! The guy stepped around you nicely to get a pretty good throw on you in the first fight. :) The second and third looked good - you were pushing the pace in both matches. God drat that last fight - the upper belts regularly counter me on that move the same way. Dude looked strong.

Hearing your dojomate's Quebecois for all the videos was probably my favourite part. "ATTACK LE LEG!" :)

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Bangkero posted:

nice going KC! The guy stepped around you nicely to get a pretty good throw on you in the first fight. :) The second and third looked good - you were pushing the pace in both matches. God drat that last fight - the upper belts regularly counter me on that move the same way. Dude looked strong.

Hearing your dojomate's Quebecois for all the videos was probably my favourite part. "ATTACK LE LEG!" :)

thanks for the comment!

Yep in the first fight the other guy definitely deserved the win haha. It was really a no contest, but I think I could have done much better if he hadn't been my first opponent! Learned that he trains 6x a week after the fight, he was a pretty fun guy too.

For the last fight yeah the guy was strong. Looked quite a bit more muscular than me (not like that's a huge achievement). Talked to him a little bit after the tournament and it turns out he also does boxing and MMA. He's the one who ended up getting first place in my division (the one who beat me in the first match finished 2nd). When he did some sort of Hiza Guruma and spun me around at the beginning of the fight I instinctively used my arm to stop my fall and poo poo does my elbow hurt right now!

Haha yeah, our group was probably the most vocal one at the competition. Especially the girl that is yelling all the time hahaha, she's always like that it's hilarious. Most of the time she was telling me to throw my opponent backward because he was already out of balance.

KingColliwog fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Nov 15, 2011

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

r.y.f.s.o. posted:

I was a bit of a tubbo, 6'0" and 215, but I was definitely lacking in anything resembling muscle from years of lifting nothing heavier than a notebook and my fingers to type on it. I got sick of feeling like a wet noodle constantly and chose BJJ / Muay Thai in the hope it would beat the fear and fat out of me, and it did.

Putting this in the OP

Syphilis Fish
Apr 27, 2006
I'm super pumped how well the big guy (he's about 6' and over 230 or so) is doing in my 'mma striking' class. ( I don't presume to teach kickboxing, as I've never had a sanctioned match ). He's holding his own in a basic way after only two/three weeks. Unlike the 16 year old kids who just want to try and hit stuff, but then are too afraid during sparring, there is no fear for this guy, he just tries and asks questions. (Sometimes too many questions, when I just want them to STFU and drill the drat 1-2-3-legkick combo, but more is better than none)

Just chiming in that at least training should be for everyone.

A flying piece of
Feb 28, 2010
NO THEY ARE NOT THE SAME THING AS CHEX
Hey guys, it's time for the concessional injection of nerdy HEMA/WMA videos.

The Swordfish event in Gothenburg, Sweden happened two weekends ago. Along with the normal workshop-type classes, the event hosted longsword test cutting, sabre, sword & buckler, rapier & dagger, women's longsword and open longsword tournaments. The finals for all of these tournaments were broadcasted live online and everything went quite well. North America took second in cutting, 3rd in sabre, 4th in rapier and 2nd in women's longsword.

Here are my three fights... critique them please, even if you don't really know anything about swords. General rules: full body, except back of the head, were targets... a clean hit is a point, a double hit (a hit at about the same time) was thrown out and an after blow (a hit in response to a received hit that is performed within one step, half a second, one tempo or whatever you want to call it) that negates the other guy's point. Blows to the head would preclude afterblows.

Starting on the left:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxfRXj2yEbk

On the right:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eviBcGFVKpY

On the right:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMFT5YxLwT0

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

A flying piece of posted:

The Swordfish event in Gothenburg, Sweden happened two weekends ago. Along with the normal workshop-type classes, the event hosted longsword test cutting, sabre, sword & buckler, rapier & dagger, women's longsword and open longsword tournaments. The finals for all of these tournaments were broadcasted live online and everything went quite well. North America took second in cutting, 3rd in sabre, 4th in rapier and 2nd in women's longsword.

Here are my three fights... critique them please, even if you don't really know anything about swords. General rules: full body, except back of the head, were targets... a clean hit is a point, a double hit (a hit at about the same time) was thrown out and an after blow (a hit in response to a received hit that is performed within one step, half a second, one tempo or whatever you want to call it) that negates the other guy's point. Blows to the head would preclude afterblows.

Starting on the left:

On the right:

On the right:

I really don't know what to critique since I have absolutely 0 idea how to fight with a sword, but that looks quite fun. It's also a lot less nerdy than one might think just hearing about this. Do you specialize only in longsword?

A flying piece of
Feb 28, 2010

KingColliwog posted:

I really don't know what to critique since I have absolutely 0 idea how to fight with a sword, but that looks quite fun. It's also a lot less nerdy than one might think just hearing about this. Do you specialize only in longsword?

Our club spends a huge majority of our time on longsword, but we also claim to do grappling (which is allowed in almost every tournament, no matter the weapon), messer (a single edged sword-like knife), dussack (a leather training weapon similar to a sabre or falchion traditionally used for tournaments), sword & buckler and spear/quarterstaff.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!

Our club spends a huge majority of our time on longsword, but we also claim to do grappling (which is allowed in almost every tournament, no matter the weapon), messer (a single edged sword-like knife), dussack (a leather training weapon similar to a sabre or falchion traditionally used for tournaments), sword & buckler and spear/quarterstaff.

If I was a good wrestler could I go to a tournament and just take everyone down?

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

niethan posted:

If I was a good wrestler could I go to a tournament and just take everyone down?

I don't know how well takedowns work when you are bleeding to death from a sword wound.

A flying piece of
Feb 28, 2010

niethan posted:

Potentially, yes. Throws are a huge part of pretty much every historical European weapon system... I know that one of my problems is that I don't switch to grappling when I collide with someone or otherwise get too close with our swords bound up.

A dutch guy did something similar in a tournament two summers ago. There was a guy there he didn't particularly like and, in that tournament, a stout punch to the face counted as a point. He said he was going to punch the guy he didn't like in the face over and over... and he did just that. He'd walk up, parry or otherwise bind up the guys sword and nail him.

Tournaments are currently moving away from awarding points for punches, kicks and throws and now view them as their own advantage. You should be able to cut, thrust or clearly demonstrate domination (in the case of throws) after you perform them to get the point.

However, if you're asking if you can just totally give up the weapon and try to shoot for people's legs... well... that might not work so well.

There's a pretty good basic takedown at the end of this video from the women's longsword finals: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slaSa9QWbac

A flying piece of fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Nov 16, 2011

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

I feel like stuff a shot takes on a whole new meaning when you can jab them in the back with your huge sword.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Xguard86 posted:

I feel like stuff a shot takes on a whole new meaning when you can jab them in the back with your huge sword.

That option would work better with a shorter sword. You'd have to pop your hand up to the bottom of the blade where there's no edge to get decent angle.

Does anyone dual wield or use sword and buckler?
:goonsay:

A flying piece of
Feb 28, 2010

kimbo305 posted:

That option would work better with a shorter sword. You'd have to pop your hand up to the bottom of the blade where there's no edge to get decent angle.

Does anyone dual wield or use sword and buckler?
:goonsay:

You can actually grab anywhere along a sharp blade without gloves provided you grip it correctly (with pressure on the flats) and don't let your hand slip too much. It's called half-swording... but this is done with one hand on the grip and one on the blade similar to a spear, not with just one hand on the blade.

Not the dual wielding you're thinking of. No one is running around with two longswords. There was a rapier tournament with daggers in the offhand, though: http://www.youtube.com/gothenburghfs#p/u/80/3C19TpfLJc0

Personally, I think rapier alone is more fun to watch... soooo many double kills in rapier/dagger but that was also true with rapier at all back then.

And then from the sword and buckler finals, this is an American (who lives in Norway) fighting a guy who doesn't do HEMA at all.. he does some type of stick fighting and JSA. I'm not really sure how he got to the final fight, but the HEMA girl beat him: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7bh9RHfOnI

Edit: 'Not really sure how he got to the finals' isn't to put down stick fighting or JSA, but rather watching the way he fights in that video. He barely uses the buckler to defend himself and, at least earlier on in the tournament, a lot of his hits were with the flat rather than edge of the sword.

A flying piece of fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Nov 16, 2011

Rhaka
Feb 15, 2008

Practice knighthood and learn
the art that dignifies you

Starting on the left:

On the right:

On the right:

I put the webstream of swordfish on my bigass tv and ate popcorn while living vicariously through other people's accomplishments. I felt like a fat, nerdy sports lover.

This is the problem with everyone wearing the same black fencing jackets and masks, I can never tell anyone apart. The fights were pretty cool! Only useful critique I can give is the standard stuff: you should watch your back foot--you have a tendency to lift up your heel a lot when striking, and when going into the high guard. Also, I think you have tend to wait for the opponent to make the first move, instead of seizing the initiative. You scored a few nice hits, though.

We need more HEMA tournaments streaming/recording their fights.

A flying piece of
Feb 28, 2010

Rhaka posted:

I put the webstream of swordfish on my bigass tv and ate popcorn while living vicariously through other people's accomplishments. I felt like a fat, nerdy sports lover.

This is the problem with everyone wearing the same black fencing jackets and masks, I can never tell anyone apart. The fights were pretty cool! Only useful critique I can give is the standard stuff: you should watch your back foot--you have a tendency to lift up your heel a lot when striking, and when going into the high guard. Also, I think you have tend to wait for the opponent to make the first move, instead of seizing the initiative. You scored a few nice hits, though.

We need more HEMA tournaments streaming/recording their fights.

Wait are you someone I'd know?

Yea, the 'everyone is in black' issue is one of the reason's I painted my mask. I have our Maryland KDF banner straight down the middle of it. I'm also totally for putting patches on arms and printing names across the back of jackets.

We're already planning to stream the tournament here at Longpoint in Maryland come June... we just might not have the awesome commentators.

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

niethan posted:

IIRC grappling in the armed arts tends to resemble Judo more than Wrestling. You try to bind weapons and then go for a hip throw or trip.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Fitocracy re-worked the points for grappling and now it is worth way more. I am still totally digging it. There are 48 people in the Martial Arts Goons group and I think it's cool seeing the actual workouts of lots of the posters here. We have a group specific invite now. If that doesn't take you straight to the group just do a search for "Martial Arts Goons" once you register.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mewse
May 2, 2006

Thoguh posted:

Fitocracy re-worked the points for grappling and now it is worth way more. I am still totally digging it. There are 48 people in the Martial Arts Goons group and I think it's cool seeing the actual workouts of lots of the posters here. We have a group specific invite now. If that doesn't take you straight to the group just do a search for "Martial Arts Goons" once you register.

i signed up but they don't have western boxing so i'm going to log my workouts as "hiphop dancing"

• Locked thread