Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

I admire man's ability to see beauty in everything! Even a flame!
Wait, what if UU is this Earth's (or another world's?) First Guardian through having the genetic code combined with a troll. Explains how Mom's void powers nullify the monitoring, explains the trolltag (UU has been previously associated with Bec -- Unbreakable Union, Umbral Ultimatum), explains the lime-green. Doesn't explain why she's not a servant of Lord English, though.

EDIT: This is obviously a really longshot guess and would require a lot of lying on UU's part :v:

dumb brunette fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Nov 15, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starmaker
Dec 29, 2009

My people I bring you a message from the Lord!

H.P. Shivcraft posted:

Oh also I don't remember if this was mentioned but the last few things uU says imply the Sassacre book in Jane's possession is in fact the one from the pre-Scratch kid session, with Nanna's inscription.

(It might not be, the reference to her handwriting could mean something else, but it's there.)

This is probably what it is. But John landed with that book, didn't he? Which means he passed it along to his granddaughter, making it very old indeed.

I wonder what she thought of that inscription.

Also, if Bro is the Hero of Heart, that would only leave Jake with Hero of... Hope. But... Eridan... bleaurgh

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Nate RFB posted:

That is exactly what I was thinking. The implication that I got out of this conversation is that we are actually going to have two distinct sessions, one of the old and new kids, and one of apparently the trolls. If so, then I would have to believe it would be UU plus the trolls we already know. And that doesn't really work unless one bites it, and if one is going to die it will probably be Sollux. Thus UU should be Doom to have all 12 elements present.

As to who she is, for now I'm going to guess a pre-scratch troll that escaped the scratch just like our kids did. Perhaps she is going to be a Seer of Doom and was able to see the consequences of the scratch.

So we can't have two doom players, but we can have two time players? I don't think we're going to see Aradia die, although I suppose she might just not be going with the other trolls to wherever they're going.

Also, drat, the male trolls got the short end of the stick. Karkat's the only one with some main-character screen-time and depth, all the others were just sort of plot devices and two-dimensional tools that got picked off. If Sollux dies and this new UU joins it's going to be four competent, depth-having female trolls, the one-dimensional murder-clown on a short leash, and poor dumb Karkat along for the ride.

FebrezeNinja
Nov 22, 2007

Maybe UU is from the human sessions' child universe? The mention of "cosmic progeny" makes me wonder. And unreliant on LE/the green sun somehow. Perhaps UU is even the hypothetical 1-person session, based on the name.

Edit: Ah, see this was mentioned last page.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

dumb brunette posted:

Wait, what if UU is this Earth's (or another world's?) First Guardian through having the genetic code combined with a troll. Explains how Mom's void powers nullify the monitoring, explains the trolltag (UU has been previously associated with Bec -- Unbreakable Union, Umbral Ultimatum), explains the lime-green. Doesn't explain why she's not a servant of Lord English, though.

EDIT: This is obviously a really longshot guess and would require a lot of lying on UU's part :v:

Another thing to question is UU's method of communication. She would have to be using a computer and not an exile terminal like we say in [S] Act 6 and right after that to use chat clients instead of speaking directly in the head of Jane.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Dolash posted:

So we can't have two doom players, but we can have two time players? I don't think we're going to see Aradia die, although I suppose she might just not be going with the other trolls to wherever they're going.
No, that's the thing, the implication of this pesterlog appears to be that there will be two separate sessions altogether between UU and the kids. If we assume that UU is going to meet up with the other trolls, then they get one Space (Kanaya) and one Time (Aradia) player for their own session.

E: What would be kind of weird about this scenario is that most of the troll survivors are Prospit dreamers, and some would have to relocate to Derse...maybe? Actually that's assuming they get new dreamselves, which doesn't seem likely.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Nov 15, 2011

Pleasant Friend
Dec 30, 2008

Android Blues posted:

Well, let's not be so hasty - Aradia could view Equius just fine as his server player, so it's possible it's specifically First Guardian/Green Sun-powered omniscience that Void heroes aVoid, or other special types - or maybe just sinister types that mean them ill. UU could be something we don't expect!

Maybe the reason is Mom goes grimdark? That darkened the screens a few times.
Or maybe it has to do with how powers seem to be different depending on the title, like Seer of Light and Thief of Light seem to have slightly different powers. (Though, Void power already seemed tactically useless for the most part, how much more useless would it be it if just stopped friends from seeing you…)

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
I've got it! It's so simple!

UU's just a troll. Not as in grey-skinned, horns, all colors of the rainbow blood.

She's just a shut-in nerd leading Jane on because it's funny.

H.P. Shivcraft
Mar 17, 2008

STAY UNRULY, YOU HEARTLESS MONSTERS!

Pleasant Friend posted:

(Though, Void power already seemed tactically useless for the most part, how much more useless would it be it if just stopped friends from seeing you…)

I don't think it's tactically useless, it was just the property of Equius (who didn't seem to know he had it) and Darkleer (who, if he knew about it, didn't use it except to be alone and sob about his exile). We saw how Mindfang used it to circumvent Scratch for thousands of years, and and if the power now resides in someone planning to make good on it, well.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

I think it's most likely that UU is in whatever universe they make via the 8 planet session. She seems to be the inverse of Karkat and the other trolls- nice, helpful, pointedly no 'spoilers' about upcoming things the kids are going to do(other than some vague reassurances). Being from the universe they make rather than the one that makes them would keep to that inversion even further.

It's either that, or she's not who she says at all and it's an elaborate scheme, which is also pretty possible, but would be kind of weird- we already have quite a few antagonists at this point. I dunno if we need more.

Mr. Moon
Oct 22, 2007
The sky is deep and dark and eternally high...
The thing about equius' latent Void powers is that even Hussie found it difficult to focus on him:

You decide that we could probably stand to delay this guy's introduction a little longer. Why don't we see what someone else is up to.

Anyone.

:v:

FutureSushi
Jan 12, 2011

Did I miss anything important?
I like the first guardian idea. I'm going to go with that until a better explanation comes up.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

dumb brunette posted:

I think the lime-green whatever that UU is associated with is probably something close to the blood color Karkat would have had if he'd been in the right place in the hemospectrum (between Sollux and Nepeta) instead of a mutant. There's an empty spot in the spectrum, so there's an empty spot for our good friend Ophiuchus!

(Andrew Hussie??? Are you there?? Can you tell us if your "all fantrolls are canon even the lovely ones" still applies to Ophiuchus trolls. I am dying to know.)

Not quite, or at least I don't think so: there is an extra shade of green on the highblood's wall, accounting for the "gap" in the spectrum that Karkat occupies, but it's not very limey (well maybe a tiny bit limey.)

Oh heh limey colo(U)red troll uses British slang. Andrew, you cad!

YF-23 posted:

Another thing to question is UU's method of communication. She would have to be using a computer and not an exile terminal like we say in [S] Act 6 and right after that to use chat clients instead of speaking directly in the head of Jane.

Exile terminal, huh? Hmm hmm hmmmmmm. After winning a successful session the victorious players are supposed to get to move on to the universe they create. So... if the trolls hadn't hosed up they would presumably move on to the post-apocalyptic Earth, where they'd be rebuilding their species and civilization from the base established by the exiles.

Maybe the Scratch did alter the circumstances of the Earth Genesis Frog's creation? You'd think it would almost have to, actually; otherwise the existence of post-Scratch Earth would be a paradox of the sort that paradox space does not abide.

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice
It could be that momRose is grimdark in this timeline, so kidMom's viewport is dark when she's around her mom.

This is probably meaningless, UU's text color is #929292, while Karkat's is #626262. I always kind of wondered why Hussie didn't just make Karkat's text color #696969.

I'm not sure what else to think about this revelation. I understand buggywhipped fuckall right now.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

uU posted:

a wee bit more troUble
Great, now I can't stop imagining that uU sounds like (s)he comes from Edinburgh.

RolandTower
Nov 19, 2003

Guns n' Roses n' Deus Ex Machina
Bleak Gremlin
Hmmm, something worth noting

All the previous kids and troll's handles abbreviated to combinations of GTAC, the nucleoside bases for DNA.

U is the abbreviation for Uracil, which is the nucleoside base that 'stands in' for thyamine (T) in RNA.

In almost all life (excluding some viruses), DNA serves the purpose of storing the genetic code, while RNA exists to actually make things happen. Before the genetic code can be translated into functional protein, it must be translated to RNA. It is then the RNA that is used to produce protein or perform a few other functions in the cell.

Given all the pseudogenetics in the comic, I don't doubt that's purposeful in some way.

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!
There's one more slightly worrying thing about this conversation that I haven't seen brought up explicitly: UU goes on about the arrival of "the other foUr of legend" and lists the aspects of the original flavour kids - but where does that leave the trolls? She doesn't say "the legendary octet of mUtUal progenitoriety and also their friendly sidekicks from another Universe" or anything.

Taking what she says here as non-misleading truth, Dave and Rose are going to make it over just fine; and I very much doubt the trolls are going to just simply not reach the Green Sun, especially as Aradia has already claimed otherwise. So what's with that? Are they going to be doing something else, does UU somehow not know about them (unlikely given how much else she seems to know about the situation), or did she just think it not important or not appropriate to mention them? What Gabriel Pope said above might play into this, I suppose.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
You know, I thought I had a pretty good idea of what's been going on, as a whole, in the Post-Scratch universe. But I give. I don't know what the gently caress anymore. I'm confused and it's amazing.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

sansuki posted:

The thirteenth troll is all the trolls in one. Like...like a lasagna. Layer of sauce, layer of troll.

The thirteenth troll is all the trolls collaborating with each other to form the perfect mysterious future guide figure. Like a troll Voltron.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
Jane is... actually typing reasonably. Have we seen that before?

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Factory Factory posted:

Jane is... actually typing reasonably. Have we seen that before?

Her quirk is more subtle - she just has some old-fashioned affectations, and of course does the weird Nanna laugh and the buckteeth smiley. It's pretty reasonable on the whole though yeah, but then so are all of the original kids'.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

dumb brunette posted:

MY first instinct was that UU is the new-universe equivalent of Doc Scratch. And whos to say that UU ISN'T a servant of Lord English? Doc Scratch communicated with young girls, and appeared to be helpful to them too, before his ultimate purpose was unveiled. Given the creepy overtones so far in this universe I'm not gonna instantly assume this new presence is a benevolent one.

Since this pretty much confirms that Jane is Maid of Life, then Jake would be Page of Life and Mom seems to be Void and Bro is Heart, going with what we already know. I wonder what their first part of their titles will be.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

Well Manicured Man posted:

troll Voltron.

I would pay good money if Hussie actually drew this.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
AND I'LL FORM THE rear end.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Prison Warden posted:

Since this pretty much confirms that Jane is Maid of Life, then Jake would be Page of Life and Mom seems to be Void and Bro is Heart, going with what we already know. I wonder what their first part of their titles will be.
Assuming no two roles will be used twice, then the available ones are: Mage, Rogue, Sylph, Thief, Bard, and Prince.

I'm going to guess Bard of Heart for Bro and Rogue of Void for Mom.

System Pelican
Sep 14, 2011

Nate RFB posted:

Assuming no two roles will be used twice, then the available ones are: Mage, Rogue, Sylph, Thief, Bard, and Prince.

The trolls' sylph is still alive (well, as good as) though.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

System Pelican posted:

The trolls' sylph is still alive (well, as good as) though.
Again, this is assuming that there is no cross pollination between the trolls and kids. I mean we would already have two Knights, two Maids, and two Seers if they are being mixed together, which means Bro's/Mom's titles could be anything I guess.

marsattacks
Apr 2, 2011
So maybe this says more about me than it does about the pesterlog, but that whole conversation seemed a little more sinister and untruthful than anyone else seems to think. I don't know why, it's just all together too cheery, like everything has been post!scratch so far. I'm just not ready to label UU as a positive trustworthy source of information quite yet.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

marsattacks posted:

So maybe this says more about me than it does about the pesterlog, but that whole conversation seemed a little more sinister and untruthful than anyone else seems to think. I don't know why, it's just all together too cheery, like everything has been post!scratch so far. I'm just not ready to label UU as a positive trustworthy source of information quite yet.

Karkat's Brain + L'il Cal + Cueball + WOOF code = UU. Calling it (not really).

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(

Android Blues posted:

Her quirk is more subtle - she just has some old-fashioned affectations, and of course does the weird Nanna laugh and the buckteeth smiley. It's pretty reasonable on the whole though yeah, but then so are all of the original kids'.
I think Factory Factory was referring to her typing animation. That said, I'm pretty sure all the kids but John type reasonably, but it's been so long since we've seen them type.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Plom Bar posted:

I think Factory Factory was referring to her typing animation. That said, I'm pretty sure all the kids but John type reasonably, but it's been so long since we've seen them type.

Oh yeah! Haha, I actually thought she typed in a weird noodly sort of way, but I suppose it is more regular than the usual animation, now that I think of it.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Nate RFB posted:

Thanks, I was gonna check which roles were still left, but :effort:

If Bro is heart then hopefully we get to find out what Heart actually DOES, I think its one of the few roles we don't really know the powers of.

CidGregor
Sep 27, 2009

TG: if i were you i would just take that fucking devilbeast out behind the woodshed and blow its head off
Has anyone proposed the theory that the kids and trolls' two universes/sessions are so paradoxically connected that when the Scratch occurred and the kids' universe was reset, the trolls' universe was reset as well? Because that's kind of the vibe I'm starting to get. With UU talking about starting his/her own session in a universe parallel to Jane's (and the whole thing about the drama spanning across four universes), maybe it's a (yet again?) reset troll session, and we've flipped back to the ancestor trolls, of which UU is one (likely Karkat's/the sufferer, as was previously suggested).

Could be interesting.

Idunn
Apr 30, 2011

That's it?
The new troll being the Signless makes no sense though, other than the obvious parallel to Karkat's first appearance and the grey text. She's female, for one, and has been awake on Prospit most of her life.

Assuming this is an ancestor, and the ancestors had the same roles in the game as the kid-trolls did, I'm guessing this new troll is the Dolorosa. She's obviously the space player, and her being so helpful fits with what little we know of the Dolorosa. If the ancestors don't have the same roles, though, it's anyone's guess as to which one she is.

Comedy option: Mindfang.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

quote:

UU: remember what i said aboUt the need for patience.
UU: patience with yoUr friends.
UU: patience for yoUr growth as a hero of life.
UU: and patience for the coming of the other foUr of legend.
A subtle dig at all of us who want to get to the reveal of kid-Mom and kid-Bro, and the return of John, Jade, Rose and Dave? ;)

Paul.Power fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Nov 15, 2011

KoB
May 1, 2009

Hamiltonian Bicycle posted:

There's one more slightly worrying thing about this conversation that I haven't seen brought up explicitly: UU goes on about the arrival of "the other foUr of legend" and lists the aspects of the original flavour kids - but where does that leave the trolls? She doesn't say "the legendary octet of mUtUal progenitoriety and also their friendly sidekicks from another Universe" or anything.

Taking what she says here as non-misleading truth, Dave and Rose are going to make it over just fine; and I very much doubt the trolls are going to just simply not reach the Green Sun, especially as Aradia has already claimed otherwise. So what's with that? Are they going to be doing something else, does UU somehow not know about them (unlikely given how much else she seems to know about the situation), or did she just think it not important or not appropriate to mention them? What Gabriel Pope said above might play into this, I suppose.

The trolls arent part of this universe, so they might just be left out as normal players. Of course, there are seven trolls plus 1 new troll. TWO EIGHT PLAYER SESSIONS. Oh god I hope not.

Starmaker
Dec 29, 2009

My people I bring you a message from the Lord!
Well whoever UU is, if she's a troll then she's definitely a new one. Different font, different symbol. Remember all the current trolls got their signs from their ancestors, so they likely had those in the pre-scratch universe, too, if this is some weird mobius reach-around. I guess it could be the Signless, because, you know, signless, but I still think there's something else going on here...

Maybe this is the theoretical single-player SBURB. Go UU, you can do it. All on your own.

(Maybe this is a different troll from the same Alternia but... got the game somehow. Or something. Doesn't explain why she's so nice though.)

Wait, no, UU is Betty Crocker.

Okay, no, I have no idea what the gently caress.

e: ^^^^^^^ seven?

Mr. D Bewildering
Mar 24, 2010

8^y

Idunn posted:

The new troll being the Signless makes no sense though, other than the obvious parallel to Karkat's first appearance and the grey text. She's female, for one, and has been awake on Prospit most of her life.

Also: she has a sign. While alive. That seems to be more than enough evidence that she's not the Signless.

Aurantinidin
Feb 16, 2011
I wonder why UU's text is grey, though. She's almost certainly a troll, so unless she also has mutant blood, it doesn't make a lot of sense for her to hide it. This probably doesn't mean she's the Signless or anything, but that has to have some significance outside of "oh hey it's inverse Karkat."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Aurantinidin posted:

I wonder why UU's text is grey, though. She's almost certainly a troll, so unless she also has mutant blood, it doesn't make a lot of sense for her to hide it. This probably doesn't mean she's the Signless or anything, but that has to have some significance outside of "oh hey it's inverse Karkat."

If she's from a pre-Scratch Alternia, perhaps there's no oppressive caste system and she just uses grey because she likes it.