Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

grumperfish posted:

Holy poo poo thank you. Just setup CM7 and it rocks. There's a weird thing where the brightness isn't working correctly that I'll need to play around with, but other than that it's so much smoother than the stock ROM.

IIRC, the default auto-brightness settings are for the AMOLED Inc, so if you have an SLCD phone, they'll end up being wacky (and generally too dark). You can edit the auto-brightness settings by going to Settings: CM Settings: Display: Automatic Backlight, ticking "Use Custom" under "Light levels", and then going to "Edit other levels". I have an SLCD Inc, and I've had good luck with these settings:

0-159: 40
160-224: 55
225-319: 70
320-639: 90
640-1279: 120
1280-2599: 150
2600-5799: 175
5800-7999: 200
8000-10239: 255
10240 and up: 255

The left-hand column is the ambient light value detected by the light sensor, and the right-hand column is the corresponding screen brightness. You may want to play around with the numbers in the right-hand column to suit your preferences, but you should know that the Inc's light sensor can only report ten discrete values (which are already accounted for in the left-hand column), so I wouldn't change anything there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem
Odd situation I'm hoping someone can provide some advise on:

My brother's fiancee got an OG Droid about a year ago. She had the people at Verizon copy contacts from her old dumbphone over to the Droid. Needless to say, these ended up as "phone-only" contacts, so they're not synced to Google.

Now, my brother rooted her Droid about a week ago, and she just now noticed that she has some missing contacts. Prior to installing the current ROM he put on there for her, he used Titanium Backup to back everything up...

So, I have a couple questions:

1. Is there any way to restore JUST the phone-only contacts?

2. If not, can is there a way to flash to another ROM, restore all the contact data, and view JUST the phone-only contacts?

3. If neither 1 nor 2 are an option, will restoring all contacts from Titanium Backup result in duplicate contacts getting synced to Google?

BathroomTile
Jun 4, 2005

Just your run-of-the-mill bathroom tile.

Penguissimo posted:

IIRC, the default auto-brightness settings are for the AMOLED Inc, so if you have an SLCD phone, they'll end up being wacky (and generally too dark). You can edit the auto-brightness settings by going to Settings: CM Settings: Display: Automatic Backlight, ticking "Use Custom" under "Light levels", and then going to "Edit other levels". I have an SLCD Inc, and I've had good luck with these settings:

0-159: 40
160-224: 55
225-319: 70
320-639: 90
640-1279: 120
1280-2599: 150
2600-5799: 175
5800-7999: 200
8000-10239: 255
10240 and up: 255

The left-hand column is the ambient light value detected by the light sensor, and the right-hand column is the corresponding screen brightness. You may want to play around with the numbers in the right-hand column to suit your preferences, but you should know that the Inc's light sensor can only report ten discrete values (which are already accounted for in the left-hand column), so I wouldn't change anything there.

Did you make any changes to the "Buttons" column? I just edited to the numbers you put in, but only the first two rows have 255 under the "Buttons" column, and the rest have 0.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

BathroomTile posted:

Did you make any changes to the "Buttons" column? I just edited to the numbers you put in, but only the first two rows have 255 under the "Buttons" column, and the rest have 0.

It's all a matter of how dark you want it to be before the buttons light up. I had trouble seeing them at 320 ambient light, so I have them at 255 for the first four rows. Unfortunately, your only choices are 255 and 0 (on or off); there's no way to have them adjust gradually.

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.
LastinLine, they merged my bluetooth problem's fix in nightly 252. I haven't flashed it yet since it came out this morning, but there were a ton of code fixes other than this one.
Maybe it fixes your bluetooth problem?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Vaporware posted:

LastinLine, they merged my bluetooth problem's fix in nightly 252. I haven't flashed it yet since it came out this morning, but there were a ton of code fixes other than this one.
Maybe it fixes your bluetooth problem?
Good to hear, although given all the other N1 problems (wifi instability, broken backlight adjustments) I'm not optimistic. Even going back to bone stock and wiping /system didn't get bluetooth working so I've pretty much given up. I'm sure I'll try it eventually and thanks for the heads up.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Nice to see I started up a huge SGSII argument. This is why I just keep buying and returning phones every thirty days; I'm terrified of getting stuck with a Sammy shitbox.

This one has a couple of dead pixels, and if I stream music and browse I can kill the battery in four hours flat which doesn't even make sense.

I did find one awesome app for saving battery on AMOLED, it replicates the "Change the screen to only one color" RenderFX thing on Cyanogen. It's called "Chainfire 3D" and it's like OpenGL drivers that you can install on a rooted phone with the stock OS. Apparently it claims there's a chance to brick the phone so don't even think about it without a Nandroid backup. But it worked for me and now with my screen in shades of red I more than halved the display drain.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Zero VGS posted:

I did find one awesome app for saving battery on AMOLED, it replicates the "Change the screen to only one color" RenderFX thing on Cyanogen. It's called "Chainfire 3D" and it's like OpenGL drivers that you can install on a rooted phone with the stock OS. Apparently it claims there's a chance to brick the phone so don't even think about it without a Nandroid backup. But it worked for me and now with my screen in shades of red I more than halved the display drain.

Wouldn't green work better as human eyes are more receptive to it? Also won't it wear out the red subpixels much faster?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
I read that the red pixels happen to draw the least power for some reason. Plus it brings me back to the glory days of Virtual Boy.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Red pixels are the easiest on the eyes, and at night they keep you from losing dark-adjusted vision.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva

Penguissimo posted:

I can't seem to change the upper limits for the detected ambient light columns. I can set new levels, but I can only change the lower limits with the upper limits being greyed-out.

Edit: I changed the 5 present rows with upper limits set, using roughly the same brightness settings from your list, and adaptive brightness is now working at least. I'm going to have to keep working at it until I can find a good setting. No idea why I can't change the upper limits though.

future ghost fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Nov 14, 2011

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

*sigh*

Another "weird issue" with CM7 on my Nexus S... Today at lunch I was reading some stuff on Google Reader and last I looked my battery was at about 60%. Then I got a random reboot (seems to happen a lot with Reader/Awful for some reason...maybe it has something to do with the data transfer...?). When the phone finished rebooting it said my battery was at 12%. I rebooted manually and it jumped back up to 31%...

Has anyone ever had this happen before? I shut the phone down and charged it while off after that, and it seemed to take about 2 hours to reach a 93% charge (Apparently the Nexus S just doesn't charge past 94%)...so it acted like it really was that low on power. Weird stuff.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.

Ozmodiar posted:

Has anyone ever had this happen before? I shut the phone down and charged it while off after that, and it seemed to take about 2 hours to reach a 93% charge (Apparently the Nexus S just doesn't charge past 94%)...so it acted like it really was that low on power. Weird stuff.

Try deleting your battery stats.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

grumperfish posted:

I can't seem to change the upper limits for the detected ambient light columns. I can set new levels, but I can only change the lower limits with the upper limits being greyed-out.

Edit: I changed the 5 present rows with upper limits set, using roughly the same brightness settings from your list, and adaptive brightness is now working at least. I'm going to have to keep working at it until I can find a good setting. No idea why I can't change the upper limits though.

Unfortunately that's just the way their asinine interface works. The upper limits are set to (the next upper limit-1). To create additional tiers (if you want to copy my chart exactly), scroll to the bottom and tap the "Set number of levels" button, then enter 10. You'll then have to set all 10 levels (remember that the Inc can only measure these 10 discrete values anyway, so more wouldn't do you any good) by tapping each button in the far-left column.

Definitely way more of a pain than it needs to be, but totally worth it in the end.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva

Penguissimo posted:

Unfortunately that's just the way their asinine interface works. The upper limits are set to (the next upper limit-1). To create additional tiers (if you want to copy my chart exactly), scroll to the bottom and tap the "Set number of levels" button, then enter 10. You'll then have to set all 10 levels (remember that the Inc can only measure these 10 discrete values anyway, so more wouldn't do you any good) by tapping each button in the far-left column.

Definitely way more of a pain than it needs to be, but totally worth it in the end.

Got it, thanks - It took me a minute to figure out but it suddenly dawned on me to click the next level tier.

For "lights decrease" on the parent menu, is there a specific hysteresis setting I should be using (using the default 50% right now), and should the "screen dim level" be set to something besides the default of 20? Wasn't sure what those settings affected. I also have the light sensor filter enabled but I don't know if I need that.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

grumperfish posted:

Got it, thanks - It took me a minute to figure out but it suddenly dawned on me to click the next level tier.

For "lights decrease" on the parent menu, is there a specific hysteresis setting I should be using (using the default 50% right now), and should the "screen dim level" be set to something besides the default of 20? Wasn't sure what those settings affected. I also have the light sensor filter enabled but I don't know if I need that.

To be honest, I haven't messed around with any of those things in any depth. There was a big post on XDA explaining the minutiae of how all this stuff worked, and it all sounded great in theory, but I noticed almost no difference even when testing it by setting things to the extremes. My experience might not be typical, but unless something bothers you, I wouldn't worry about those settings too much.

scarymonkey
Jul 15, 2003

by angerbeet
Android 4.0.1 Ice Cream Sandwich Source Is Being Pushed To AOSP Now:

http://www.androidpolice.com/2011/11/14/breaking-android-4-0-1-ice-cream-sandwich-source-is-uploading-to-aosp-now/

Hopefully this means custom ROMs based on Google's latest diabetes ridden dessert won't be far off.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

scarymonkey posted:

Android 4.0.1 Ice Cream Sandwich Source Is Being Pushed To AOSP Now:

http://www.androidpolice.com/2011/11/14/breaking-android-4-0-1-ice-cream-sandwich-source-is-uploading-to-aosp-now/

Hopefully this means custom ROMs based on Google's latest diabetes ridden dessert won't be far off.

It's going to be a long road of horribly broken builds until either a) devices drivers from Gingerbread are maybe/kinda/sorta/notreally backwards engineered to work on ICS or device specific ICS drops can be cannibalized.

scarymonkey
Jul 15, 2003

by angerbeet

Maker Of Shoes posted:

It's going to be a long road of horribly broken builds until either a) devices drivers from Gingerbread are maybe/kinda/sorta/notreally backwards engineered to work on ICS or device specific ICS drops can be cannibalized.

From what I've read in that link at the very least there should be stable Samsung Galaxy Nexus custom ROMs since the source tree has all the Nexus specific source code.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

scarymonkey posted:

From what I've read in that link at the very least there should be stable Samsung Galaxy Nexus custom ROMs since the source tree has all the Nexus specific source code.

I'll give you that, I guess I was thinking outside of the Nexus lineage a bit.

Edit: I sure as poo poo don't want to be anywhere near XDA for at least a week.

ARE WE THERE YET?!
ARE WE THERE YET?!
ARE WE THERE YET?!
ARE WE THERE YET?!
ARE WE THERE YET?!
ARE WE THERE YET?!
ARE WE THERE YET?!
ARE WE THERE YET?!
ARE WE THERE YET?!
ARE WE THERE YET?!
ARE WE THERE YET?!
meme
ARE WE THERE YET?!

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

FlyingCheese posted:

Try deleting your battery stats.

I've NEVER deleted my battery stats...on any device...ever...

I'm scared. :ohdear:

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'
Hopefully someone can help me with a major problem with my sensation.

To save money, I bought a sensation locked to O2 as I saw there were three methods on xda to sim unlock it via the boot loader, claiming to be able to unlock 100% of sensations.

Unfortunately, after trying them, none work and I'm now stuck with a phone that receives no signal regardless of where I am or the sim I use.

Strangely, however, some sims receive mobile connectivity (but with no data indicator in the top bar) despite saying no signal.

I've tried flashing different RUUs and reattempting the methods but so far no luck.

Any help would be great, as I basically have an android powered iPod touch at the moment.

Mughe
Mar 17, 2007

I'll tolerate you until I can replace you.

teamdest posted:

For the incredible, cyanogen is awesome, there are a couple sense 3.5 roms, but stay away from nil's gingersense, there are network dropout issues.

For the record, Nil's Gingersense network drop issues have been fixed about a month and a half ago. I'm a fan of sense due to the phone and contacts sorting, so if you like sense I'd go with that. Nil's Business Gingersense is what I use, along with a custom kernel and I couldn't be happier.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Ozmodiar posted:

I've NEVER deleted my battery stats...on any device...ever...

I'm scared. :ohdear:

No big deal. For best results it's best to do a full charge, full drain, full charge then wipe the stats. I imagine it's not terribly different than just doing a stat wipe after a full charge.

Captain Riggs
Nov 15, 2003

I'll draw his fire and you run for cover!
Thank you ExcessBlarg! for helping me root my stupid i886 quasi-android phone a few pages back. I did what you said and it worked!

Unfortunately now I have a new problem: for some reason whenever I try to send a text message with anything other than the built-in messaging app, it will immediately fail to send. (they all get 'message failed to send' or 'message not sent' errors immediately after I try to send them) I have tried chompsms, gosms and the quick reply feature from sms popup and they all fail. They can all read incoming messages OK but can not send for some reason.

Is this maybe some kind of permissions issue? In the manage applications menu it says that they all have the send_sms permission...

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
Since someone brought up unlocking phones... I noticed the at&t version of the SGS2 is like a hundred bucks cheaper than the Tmobile version on Ebay. I heard that they have gimped speeds on the Tmobile network if you unlock them to it though, any truth to that?

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Zero VGS posted:

Since someone brought up unlocking phones... I noticed the at&t version of the SGS2 is like a hundred bucks cheaper than the Tmobile version on Ebay. I heard that they have gimped speeds on the Tmobile network if you unlock them to it though, any truth to that?

Yeah, T-Mobile uses wacky frequencies for 3G, so any phone not specifically made to use those frequencies is limited to EDGE data.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

My recently rooted Android (HTC Incredible) phone is working fine, with nice little Wifi tethering app doing its job when needed. Just this morning, it let me know that it wants me to download the 2.3.4 update.

I shouldn't do this, right?

And if not, is there any way to make the persistent message go away?

Thanks! :)

Edit: on a separate note: http://hothardware.com/News/HTC-Sneaks-Spying-App-into-Android-234-Phones/

Ugh! I definitely won't be pressing update until I hear back from you guys.

Chinook fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Nov 15, 2011

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.

Chinook posted:

Edit: on a separate note: http://hothardware.com/News/HTC-Sneaks-Spying-App-into-Android-234-Phones/

This spyware has been removed on all updated custom ROMS. At least, that's how it is for the EVO 3D.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Chinook posted:

My recently rooted Android (HTC Incredible) phone is working fine, with nice little Wifi tethering app doing its job when needed. Just this morning, it let me know that it wants me to download the 2.3.4 update.

Thanks! :)

The way it works on the Nexus S is, if you've replaced the kernel, you can accept the update, which will fail and require a battery-pull, and the annoying message will go away until you reboot, after which you have to do it all over again.

No idea if it's the same on your phone or other ROMs than stock, but that's what I was told. Probably a good idea to wait for someone more knowledgeable to reply.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Zero VGS posted:

I think I read where the AT&T SGS2 was surprise compatible with T-Mobile although I might have that backwards. Either way I wouldn't take a chance on it if I wasn't sure and you've still got the issue of the carrier lock.

I was wrong, it was the T-Mobile Amaze 4G.

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Nov 15, 2011

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Chinook posted:

What SplitSoul says is right, if you make a change to the ROM it should cause the OTA to fail and then the messages go away. I'd remove some VZW bloatware which should be enough to make it not work.

This is all theory to me though, I don't really know for sure and maybe you should wait for someone with some experience in the matter.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

LastInLine posted:

What SplitSoul says is right, if you make a change to the ROM it should cause the OTA to fail and then the messages go away. I'd remove some VZW bloatware which should be enough to make it not work.

This is all theory to me though, I don't really know for sure and maybe you should wait for someone with some experience in the matter.

Thank you. I'll definitely wait until I hear back from a fellow Incredible user, then. Until then, I'll just cancel the message every time I turn my phone on. :)

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Chinook posted:

Thank you. I'll definitely wait until I hear back from a fellow Incredible user, then. Until then, I'll just cancel the message every time I turn my phone on. :)
Sounds like this post will solve your problem with notifications. If you look in that thread you'll find a few other things of note:
  • If you have a custom recovery, the update will fail (unusual in my experience)
  • The update file is in /cache if you want to go ahead and delete it
  • It doesn't seem to change S-OFF so even if you apply it you can re-root.
That said I've heard the update isn't the most reliable and if you're happy now I'd delete the update in /cache and the file listed in the linked post to stop the nag.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

LastInLine posted:

Sounds like this post will solve your problem with notifications.

Hey, thanks. It was getting annoying to have to go through that everytime I rebooted.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

LastInLine posted:

Sounds like this post will solve your problem with notifications. If you look in that thread you'll find a few other things of note:
  • If you have a custom recovery, the update will fail (unusual in my experience)
  • The update file is in /cache if you want to go ahead and delete it
  • It doesn't seem to change S-OFF so even if you apply it you can re-root.
That said I've heard the update isn't the most reliable and if you're happy now I'd delete the update in /cache and the file listed in the linked post to stop the nag.

Thank you, my good man. I'll do it when I get back to the computer.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Chinook posted:

Thank you, my good man. I'll do it when I get back to the computer.
You should be able to do everything with a root browser right on your phone. EStrongs is my favorite (enable root browsing in settings) then just go in and delete those files and you should be good to go.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
If I flash a kernel, and then flash a ROM, is that first kernel still "active"? Or does flashing a new ROM now put that ROM's kernel on it?

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Hamburglar posted:

If I flash a kernel, and then flash a ROM, is that first kernel still "active"? Or does flashing a new ROM now put that ROM's kernel on it?

It depends. Some ROM's have the Kernel cooked right in. Some do not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Jerk McJerkface posted:

It depends. Some ROM's have the Kernel cooked right in. Some do not.

I've never flashed a ROM in my entire Android experience that didn't have a kernel. In at least 99.9% of all Android ROMs they come with a kernel.