Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

The trackpad alone is worth buying an Apple laptop.

z0331 posted:

Why is the Magic Mouse so expensive? I want one so bad. :(

You want the Magic Trackpad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Why do you want the Magic Mouse? It's the worst product Apple makes and even their executives had trouble using it while doing a demonstration at a keynote. My wrist hurts after using it for 10 minutes and I wanted to smash it on the ground.

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name
From briefly reading the descriptions, I got the impression the Magic Mouse sort of combined the two devices and could act like a mouse but then use gestures. Guess that's not quite correct?

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

z0331 posted:

From briefly reading the descriptions, I got the impression the Magic Mouse sort of combined the two devices and could act like a mouse but then use gestures. Guess that's not quite correct?

Your impression is correct but the issue is that mice and trackpads just don't mix well.

Well, I guess they could, but no one has really managed to do it well yet. And Apple doesn't have the greatest track record when it comes to mouse design anyway :downsgun:.

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

My magic mouse works great but lots of folks don't like theirs. Sucks for games, but great for After Effects, Final Cut Pro, Ableton Live, etc where I need to do long horizontal timeline scrolling. Wonderful for skipping back and forth over large chunks of time without having to zoom all the way out and back in. Smooth scrolling up and down, as well, but if you want to game then I would stick with a regular mouse, especially if you already have a trackpad.

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

z0331 posted:

No, that's correct, it's just not a terribly good MOUSE. The touch part of it is way better than the mousing part (mainly because of the awkward shape).

I bought a Magic Trackpad though, and haven't looked back since.

IMHO Magic Trackpad > Magic Mouse.

And you shouldn't feel weird about getting an external trackpad with a MBP, as the Magic Trackpad is bigger than the built in trackpad and you can put it anywhere you want on your desk.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

echobucket posted:

And you shouldn't feel weird about getting an external trackpad with a MBP, as the Magic Trackpad is bigger than the built in trackpad and you can put it anywhere you want on your desk table at Starbucks.

Actually, I bought a Trackpad to use with my Macbook Pro but I haven't opened it up yhet.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Bob Morales posted:

Actually, I bought a Trackpad to use with my Macbook Pro but I haven't opened it up yhet.

You need to send that poor thing to someone who can appreciate it. Like me :).

I really want a trackpad to use while my MBP is "docked" at home. So expensive, though :(.

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

I have the magic trackpad at home for my imac. It owns

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

spaceship posted:

I have the magic trackpad at home for my imac. It owns

Yes it does. I love how it has this almost frictionless coating on it. I do think it's smoother than moving my finger on even my iPhone or iPad.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Does Apple not sell the wired keyboard without the numpad? I don't see it on the store website.

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/shop_mac/mac_accessories/mice_keyboards?n=keyboards&s=topSellers

taint toucher
Sep 23, 2004

Bob Morales posted:

Does Apple not sell the wired keyboard without the numpad? I don't see it on the store website.

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/shop_mac/mac_accessories/mice_keyboards?n=keyboards&s=topSellers

I'm pretty sure that it got discontinued some time ago.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

They used to but it's discontinued.

I love the Magic Trackpad with my iMac but I wish there was a way to middle-click. I use that all the time for opening new tabs with my mouse. I guess holding down cmd with my other hand will have to do. First world problems yadda yadda.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

I love the Magic Trackpad with my iMac but I wish there was a way to middle-click. I use that all the time for opening new tabs with my mouse. I guess holding down cmd with my other hand will have to do. First world problems yadda yadda.

Use better touch tool to make the 3 finger tap a middle click, it works well.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

Two-finger click then 'Open In New Tab'?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Bob Morales posted:

Two-finger click then 'Open In New Tab'?

Takes too long. Faster to hold command.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

Takes too long. Faster to hold command.

True. Command always fucks me becase on Linux it's ctrl+click and command does nothing. I thought you used to be able to just hold down the mouse button and a context menu would come up but that doesn't work, plus it takes even longer.

I remember on 28.8k I'd open a bunch of links (in new browser windows, this was Netscape 2.x and tabs weren't around yet), go make a sandwich, and then they'd be all loaded up when I came back.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Can I upgrade the i3 in my late 2010 iMac with an i5 or is it soldered in? I just got this thing in like March so I doubt the boss will let me buy a whole new computer, but this might fly:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115067&Tpk=i5%20760

According to Wikipedia that was an option. I already have 8GB of RAM but the poor i3 can't handle running a web server and MySQL database plus a VM plus a couple web browsers

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Supposedly you can just swap out the CPUs on iMacs, but I've never spent much time researching it. Having taken mine apart just to swap the drive, I have to imagine changing the CPU is a complete bitch.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Bob Morales posted:

Can I upgrade the i3 in my late 2010 iMac with an i5

Yes.
I put an i7 into my 2010 i5 when I had it.

edit: Upon checking it would appear that you may have issues with the i3, but maybe that is limited to the 21.5
http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/imac/imac-aluminum-faq/imac-intel-aluminum-processor-upgrade-instructions.html

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Nov 14, 2011

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Maybe I'll just order the new guy a Sandybridge i5 and I'll just give him this one.

Apparently you can't upgrade just the HD when you configure the base-model iMac on the Apple store. Weird.

Softcox
Jul 13, 2004

But I will not hesitate.
Not for a second.

japtor posted:

Yeah, it comes with a HDMI->DVI adapter, then you'd get a Mini DisplayPort->DVI adapter for the other one. If you get a Thunderbolt device you'd hook that up to the computer then daisy chain the display adapter off of that...although I have no clue if adapters work off the daisy chained port (like if the computer will sense DVI/VGA/etc). On the plus side it looks like the U2410 has DisplayPort to begin with, so you can get a Mini to full size DP cable rather than some adapter.

Thanks, I thought that was the case. Kind odd that Apple don't make Mini DP -> Full size DP adapters but it looks like I can buy one for $30AUD which isn't too bad. I'm not that worried about the display chaining thing, guess I'll find out when more Thunderbolt stuff becomes available.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst

angor posted:

My buddys nearly new Macbook Air is having strange issues.

When he turns on the computer, the 'turn on sound' plays over and over again. When it finally turns on, the mouse and trackpad are completely non responsive. He can still move the mouse around using Touchpad from his iPad. After it's on, it stays on. This is the second time this has happened. The first time, it just fixed itself seemingly and that was a couple of weeks back. The nearest authorised repair centre is over 1800 miles away, so he can't just take it in.

He took it into a local repair shop that deals with Apple products. Apparently the logic board is hosed. They want $200 and two weeks to fix it. I'm going to London tomorrow so I'll take it with me and just FedEx it back to him I guess.
2 questions:

If it is actually the logic board, how long will it take to fix?
Will Apple have an issue with me taking his laptop in since I'm not the owner?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Does anyone have a bluetooth headset that they'd recommend? I'm interested in getting one to replace my headset that just snapped in half without warning.

Softcox
Jul 13, 2004

But I will not hesitate.
Not for a second.
Well I decided to get the Mini Server. Went from a massive E-ATX tower case to a this, quite a change. I got a QNAP TS-412 NAS as well for expandable storage. Currently testing iSCSI using the globalSAN iSCSI initiator which seems to work well.

Regarding the HDMI/DVI/DP thing I have my two Dell U2410 displays working perfectly. One through the supplied HDMI->DVI adapter and the other through a Mini DP->DVI adapter. I noticed that going directly from HDMI without the adapter works but the picture quality is awful. It chooses the right resolution but the colours are washed out and everything is blurry.

Final rating: :zoid::zoid::zoid::zoid: 4 zoidbergs out of 5. Would get 5 if I could have the quad core i7 AND discrete graphics but meh this is decent enough.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Weird, did you mess with the display profile settings? Otherwise maybe the display itself switches to some other settings with HDMI input vs DVI, like some obnoxiously amped up preset for non computer use.

Forgot to mention one (obvious) caveat with the TB daisy chaining, whatever device will need two ports. I just mention that cause I know the Sonnet ExpressCard box only has one, and I vaguely remember some fancy audio or video interface only having one.

z0331 posted:

Why didn't anyone tell me Apple trackpads are so amazing now?
They've been amazing since late 2008 at least. Well they were good before but that's when the current design came out I think.

echobucket posted:

Yes it does. I love how it has this almost frictionless coating on it. I do think it's smoother than moving my finger on even my iPhone or iPad.
Matte glass I believe, wouldn't work too well for screens unfortunately. Wish the Magic Mouse had the same surface.

Shmoogy posted:

Use better touch tool to make the 3 finger tap a middle click, it works well.
Yeah do this. I also have cmd-shift mapped to 4 finger tap so I can alternate fore/background tab opening.

Softcox
Jul 13, 2004

But I will not hesitate.
Not for a second.

japtor posted:

Weird, did you mess with the display profile settings? Otherwise maybe the display itself switches to some other settings with HDMI input vs DVI, like some obnoxiously amped up preset for non computer use.

Forgot to mention one (obvious) caveat with the TB daisy chaining, whatever device will need two ports. I just mention that cause I know the Sonnet ExpressCard box only has one, and I vaguely remember some fancy audio or video interface only having one.

Set it to use sRGB on the monitor and the same ICC profile. Meh the adapter works fine so it doesn't really matter.

Hopefully any decent Thunderbolt peripherals come out with multiple ports just like Firewire

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
I love the Magic Mouse and can't work with other computer mice anymore. All the swiping and clicking makes me happy! Thanks, BetterTouchTool.

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
Pillbug

Softcox posted:

Thanks, I thought that was the case. Kind odd that Apple don't make Mini DP -> Full size DP adapters but it looks like I can buy one for $30AUD which isn't too bad. I'm not that worried about the display chaining thing, guess I'll find out when more Thunderbolt stuff becomes available.

For $30AUD? It has the same pins on either end, it should be a $6 cable from your preferred online cable seller.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
If I have 2 graphics cards in my Mac Pro 1,1 running 10.7, which one will get used for 3D games in steam? The one that is physically connected to the display running the game?

Right now one GPU is vastly superior to the other (7300GT vs HD5870). I want to leave both in there because the hacked HD5870 doesn't show the grey boot screen. Also, this machine is for a friend who isn't technically computer or mac fluent and I didn't want to give him the 7300GT loose/uninstalled for him to loose since he'll need it if the HD5870 breaks or something else fails requiring him to use the 7300GT.

My concern is that apps might pick the weaker GPU when performing compute tasks and gaming.

jwvgoethe
Jan 17, 2011
I'm ambivalent about the magic mouse. I like it for the same reasons that I hate it(single scrollable interface but no consistent right click). Horrible for gaming

check out this for tweaks about the magic mouse
http://magicprefs.com/

also, I'm of the opinion that the mac mini is one of the worst deals in computing.

Ochowie
Nov 9, 2007

Quick question for the goons who own a Gallant. Are you worried that putting an iMac plus a 27" TBolt display is too much for the table? I have those two plus a 24" monitor on a the t-leg version and I do notice a bit of sag in the middle. Is this something I should be worried about or has it generally been OK?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

jwvgoethe posted:

also, I'm of the opinion that the mac mini is one of the worst deals in computing.

If you base it on specs, most Apple products aren't 'good deals'. What else can you get in that form factor? And don't forget the niceties of OS X.

The 2GB in the $599 base model is a loving joke, though. An Inspiron 620 slim desktop from Dell is going to start at $499 with an i5, but you do get 6GB of memory. Not sure if they come with HDMI standard.

It's only a $100 premium for :smug:

Edit: Actually, if you go to Best Buy (where real computer hackers buy their poo poo) and sort the i5 desktops by price, the Mac Mini is the second cheapest one they have. $599 but when you add it to the cart, it shows the price at like $560 because Best Buy sells most Apple products slightly under retail.

Bob Morales fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Nov 15, 2011

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Bob Morales posted:

The 2GB in the $599 base model is a loving joke

Apple still sells *anything* with 2GB?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Shaocaholica posted:

Apple still sells *anything* with 2GB?

The 11" Air and the base Mini

Not a huge deal for grandma who just wants to surf the web (especially combined with the SSD on the Air) but they really should just do 4GB since it probably costs about 7 dollars for Apple to add 2GB more. Unless they're doing 2x1GB or something to get rid of all their 1GB chips.

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

Ochowie posted:

Quick question for the goons who own a Gallant. Are you worried that putting an iMac plus a 27" TBolt display is too much for the table? I have those two plus a 24" monitor on a the t-leg version and I do notice a bit of sag in the middle. Is this something I should be worried about or has it generally been OK?

Here is my Gallant:

Two Dell 30" displays, a thunderbolt display, two rokit 6's, and a 27" imac. No sag.

Shin-chan
Aug 1, 2008

To be a man you must have honor...
...honor and a penis!

Shaocaholica posted:

If I have 2 graphics cards in my Mac Pro 1,1 running 10.7, which one will get used for 3D games in steam? The one that is physically connected to the display running the game?

Right now one GPU is vastly superior to the other (7300GT vs HD5870). I want to leave both in there because the hacked HD5870 doesn't show the grey boot screen. Also, this machine is for a friend who isn't technically computer or mac fluent and I didn't want to give him the 7300GT loose/uninstalled for him to loose since he'll need it if the HD5870 breaks or something else fails requiring him to use the 7300GT.

My concern is that apps might pick the weaker GPU when performing compute tasks and gaming.

The one connected to the monitor is the one that does the processing.

Ochowie
Nov 9, 2007

spaceship posted:

Here is my Gallant:

Two Dell 30" displays, a thunderbolt display, two rokit 6's, and a 27" imac. No sag.

You have the corner one but I don't think that shouldn't matter and I think I should be OK. Thanks!

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Bob Morales posted:

If you base it on specs, most Apple products aren't 'good deals'. What else can you get in that form factor? And don't forget the niceties of OS X.

The 2GB in the $599 base model is a loving joke, though. An Inspiron 620 slim desktop from Dell is going to start at $499 with an i5, but you do get 6GB of memory. Not sure if they come with HDMI standard.

It's only a $100 premium for :smug:

Edit: Actually, if you go to Best Buy (where real computer hackers buy their poo poo) and sort the i5 desktops by price, the Mac Mini is the second cheapest one they have. $599 but when you add it to the cart, it shows the price at like $560 because Best Buy sells most Apple products slightly under retail.
That Dell is huge, it's not comparable :smug:.

...not sure how many are comparable really since not too many make similar machines. Most that are close in size either have some crappy CPU or if it's similar it costs just as much, usually more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

japtor posted:

That Dell is huge, it's not comparable :smug:.

...not sure how many are comparable really since not too many make similar machines. Most that are close in size either have some crappy CPU or if it's similar it costs just as much, usually more.

I was just going spec-for-spec. They used to make those little Studios, but those aren't comparable either.