Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jake1357
Jul 10, 2001

Green Crayons posted:

If it gets upheld, only because Kennedy carves out exception for healthcare. Otherwise, the "but then there's no limit!" wins the day.

Why wouldn't they just hold that it's a tax and sidestep the commerce clause question entirely?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

jake1357 posted:

Why wouldn't they just hold that it's a tax and sidestep the commerce clause question entirely?

Because it didn't get called a tax. Note that none of the lower courts are going for that argument. It's all coming down to the CC.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Time for the commerce clause drinking game. The rule is simple: Drink!

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

yronic heroism posted:

I don't know how anybody is predicting this.

Because people who literally know nothing about the supreme court or con law are making the predictions.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

This girl that I had a crush on back in high school posted:

It's probably a bad sign that I want to quit the legal world already :/ There is simply nothing positive about it.

Oh Kim. :sigh:

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

Residency Evil posted:

Oh Kim. :sigh:

Good thing you dodged that bullet.

WAMPA_STOMPA
Oct 21, 2010
I'm the guy whose girl wants to do health law. I asked her what she thinks health law is, and she told me she wants to represent people, not insurance companies. What she said boiled down to "I want to help people get what they deserve from the health care system." Like, people collecting medicare benefits or deductions or whatever? It didn't seem very unified to me. Is this A Thing?

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

WAMPA_STOMPA posted:

I'm the guy whose girl wants to do health law. I asked her what she thinks health law is, and she told me she wants to represent people, not insurance companies. What she said boiled down to "I want to help people get what they deserve from the health care system." Like, people collecting medicare benefits or deductions or whatever? It didn't seem very unified to me. Is this A Thing?

She can

1. Represent med-mal plaintiffs against hospitals and doctors.
2. Do elder law where she helps seniors get their Social Security, Medicaid/Medicare benefits.
3. Help veterans get their VA benefits.
4. Work with nonprofits that run free medical clinics.
5. Try to work for an international human rights organization that does health-related work in Africa or some other depressing locality.

#1 is tort law, where she fills out boring litigation paperwork, hires medical experts, and then goes to trial.
#2 and #3 are administrative law, where she fills out boring Social Security, VA, or Medicaid/Medicare paperwork and wrangles with bureaucrats all day.
#4 is corporate / charitable org work, where she fills out boring transactional paperwork and attends board meetings of local nonprofits where all the non-lawyers babble on and on and waste her time.
#5 is really just a red herring - these jobs are rarer than a polar bear on an equitorial island in the Pacific ocean.

#2, #3, and #4 = very little money.

#1 = can hit it big and make good money, but it's a crapshoot, most likely she won't make much money.

That's all I got for someone who says they want to do health law where they represent people and not hospitals.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

entris posted:

#1 = can hit it big and make good money, but it's a crapshoot, most likely she won't make much money.

I have never met more suicidal lawyers than med-mal plaintiffs attorneys in the south.

Feces Starship
Nov 11, 2008

in the great green room
goodnight moon
No-fault collections is a great practice area that makes money hand over fist, and there's nothing better than taking an insurance company to the shed

TheBestDeception
Nov 28, 2007

CaptainScraps posted:

I have never met more suicidal lawyers than med-mal plaintiffs attorneys in the south.

Is there even money for that in Texas? Thought that was capped pretty hard.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Feces Starship posted:

No-fault collections is a great practice area that makes money hand over fist, and there's nothing better than taking an insurance company to the shed

plus you get access to those sweet commercials starring Robert Wagner

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

TheBestDeception posted:

Is there even money for that in Texas? Thought that was capped pretty hard.

The only case you can make money off of is a brain damaged infant. If they die, no dice. If they have too much function left, no dice.

I can't imagine wanting to practice in an area of law where you hope for brain damaged infants.

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:

CaptainScraps posted:

Me too, it's weird. The biglaw-esque lawyers seem pretty happy overall (excluding NY style firms like K&S), but man, all the plaintiffs attorneys I've talked to just hate life.

Is it the opposite in the North?

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels
Update on stuff: There was a shooting on campus @ Haas, which is the building cluster adjacent to Boalt. Apparently no Berkeley students were harmed. There's a metric ton of people here now though and it looks like Occupy has set up shop at Sproul Plaza for the foreseeable future. So this isn't ending any time soon.

Some classes were indeed cancelled and many moved off campus. I had Scholarship at a YWCA.

Faculty throughout the university have also created a petition for a vote of no confidence in the Chancellor due to his response to the police beatings the other day.

sigmachiev fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Nov 16, 2011

J Miracle
Mar 25, 2010
It took 32 years, but I finally figured out push-ups!

entris posted:

She can

1. Represent med-mal plaintiffs against hospitals and doctors.
2. Do elder law where she helps seniors get their Social Security, Medicaid/Medicare benefits.
3. Help veterans get their VA benefits.
4. Work with nonprofits that run free medical clinics.
5. Try to work for an international human rights organization that does health-related work in Africa or some other depressing locality.

#1 is tort law, where she fills out boring litigation paperwork, hires medical experts, and then goes to trial.
#2 and #3 are administrative law, where she fills out boring Social Security, VA, or Medicaid/Medicare paperwork and wrangles with bureaucrats all day.
#4 is corporate / charitable org work, where she fills out boring transactional paperwork and attends board meetings of local nonprofits where all the non-lawyers babble on and on and waste her time.
#5 is really just a red herring - these jobs are rarer than a polar bear on an equitorial island in the Pacific ocean.

#2, #3, and #4 = very little money.

That's all I got for someone who says they want to do health law where they represent people and not hospitals.

Good thing for this guys girlfriend that you've worked extensively in plaintiff's-side tort litigation, administrative law, and transactional law so that you can give him a really informed opinion about what it is like to do all those jobs.

Tort litigation owns gently caress the haterz

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.

Omerta posted:

Me too, it's weird. The biglaw-esque lawyers seem pretty happy overall (excluding NY style firms like K&S), but man, all the plaintiffs attorneys I've talked to just hate life.

Is it the opposite in the North?

All the attorneys in my firm seem to be pretty happy.

But I deal mostly with the ones on the administrative law side. The one PI attorney I see on a regular basis is one of the most genuinely cheery, happy people ever, so take that as you will.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

WAMPA_STOMPA posted:

Ignore everything between you and me.

The answer is no. gently caress no. Laughably, incoherently, undoubtedly no.

She is somewhere in the realm of "I want to sue for JESUS for SOMALIA."

You don't sue for Jesus for Somalia. And you don't do Weeping Widow Health Care Law. That doesn't exist.

On the bright side, you can now break up with this crazy ho for being a crazy ho. At least she's crazy. So you're justified in breaking up with that crazy ho.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

BigHead posted:

Ignore everything between you and me.

The answer is no. gently caress no. Laughably, incoherently, undoubtedly no.

She is somewhere in the realm of "I want to sue for JESUS for SOMALIA."

You don't sue for Jesus for Somalia. And you don't do Weeping Widow Health Care Law. That doesn't exist.

On the bright side, you can now break up with this crazy ho for being a crazy ho. At least she's crazy. So you're justified in breaking up with that crazy ho.
I dunno about all that. Is she independently wealthy? No need for additional income? No loans to pay off? Enough money to make up for the money your practice will bleed?
Then yes, you too can be the hero from a John Grisham book!

Otherwise, there are less jobs in this than saving international pandas from being eaten by the KKK.

Or she can work for Binder and Binder. Those guys on the ad sure seem successful. :catstare:

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

WAMPA_STOMPA posted:

My wife is a legit health care attorney. Her practice consists of advising doctors, hospital administrators, and other providers on their billing practices, contracts (space and equipment rentals, physician service agreements) etc. it's highly specialized and while you don't typically represent insurance companies, you're representing doctors so not really people either.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

J Miracle posted:

Good thing for this guys girlfriend that you've worked extensively in plaintiff's-side tort litigation, administrative law, and transactional law so that you can give him a really informed opinion about what it is like to do all those jobs.

Tort litigation owns gently caress the haterz

I guess I should have included a disclaimer that I haven't actually worked in any of those jobs, sorry that I appear to have offended you.

(Not actually sorry, but you have a point - I could be wrong.)

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
currently dealing with a divorce case where one party poisoned the other party's snake. the injured party, snakewise, cannot discuss the matter without bawling

family law owns so hard

Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

DEATH WISH AT 120 DECIBELS

Phil Moscowitz posted:

My wife is a legit health care attorney. Her practice consists of advising doctors, hospital administrators, and other providers on their billing practices, contracts (space and equipment rentals, physician service agreements) etc. it's highly specialized and while you don't typically represent insurance companies, you're representing doctors so not really people either.

Yo Mosco, you going to One Eyed Jack's for the show on Thursday, perchance? If so, I owe you a drink.

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

Got a jerb! ~275 attorney firm, guess you would call it midlaw. Thank loving god this whole process is over.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Omerta posted:

Got a jerb! ~275 attorney firm, guess you would call it midlaw. Thank loving god this whole process is over.

That's pretty big for midlaw, I would call that "regional Biglaw" or something. But who cares! Congrats!

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

Omerta posted:

Congrats - how many offices?

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

sigmachiev posted:

Congrats - how many offices?

Six, firm has offices in FL/GA/AL. The office I'm going to has about 30 attorneys. I think it pays 5k less than market, which is nice.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Omerta posted:

I just call that biglaw.
I call what everyone else calls biglaw huge-law or something. Mid-law ends at 100 lawyers.

J Miracle
Mar 25, 2010
It took 32 years, but I finally figured out push-ups!

entris posted:

I guess I should have included a disclaimer that I haven't actually worked in any of those jobs, sorry that I appear to have offended you.

(Not actually sorry, but you have a point - I could be wrong.)

Not really offended just found it kind of funny that you basically poo poo on litigation, admin, and transactional work in one post.

Which come to think of it is totally valid

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Stunt Rock posted:

Yo Mosco, you going to One Eyed Jack's for the show on Thursday, perchance? If so, I owe you a drink.

Naw man, got depos all day

HooKars
Feb 22, 2006
Comeon!

Omerta posted:

I told you that you were being a big baby.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

J Miracle posted:

Not really offended just found it kind of funny that you basically poo poo on litigation, admin, and transactional work in one post.

Which come to think of it is totally valid
No what he's making GBS threads on is working for people without any money.
It certainly does make paying the bills harder unless you work for the government.

Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

DEATH WISH AT 120 DECIBELS

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Naw man, got depos all day

Depo all day, party all night.

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

HooKars posted:

I told you that you were being a big baby.

I was serious though. That was my last callback and I had some consulting interviews coming up. I did appreciate the advice.

Now I'm horribly behind on my comment and classes. I can't wait for this semester to be over.

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep
My section nominated me to be in my school's pie eating contest this Monday, but I'm pissed that the prize isn't more pie.

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar

MoFauxHawk posted:

My section nominated me to be in my school's pie eating contest this Monday, but I'm pissed that the prize isn't more pie.

You talked some big talk today about that, I am looking forward to your performance.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Omerta posted:

Now I'm horribly behind on my comment and classes. I can't wait for this semester to be over.

Will they revoke your offer if you let your GPA slump significantly? They can't get away with being called anything other than BigLaw if so.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

yronic heroism posted:

Will they revoke your offer if you let your GPA slump significantly? They can't get away with being called anything other than BigLaw if so.

My biglaw firm didn't even ask for our transcripts, the person I asked about it said they never revoked offers when they used to ask for them, so asking for the transcripts just stressed people out for no reason.

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

yronic heroism posted:

Didn't ask. If I had a median semester, I'd be slightly outside the top 10%. I'm not worried about my offer getting revoked, I'm pissed I have to do a ton of work in the next 18 days rather than play golf and hit on public health students.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Omerta posted:

Didn't ask. If I had a median semester, I'd be slightly outside the top 10%. I'm not worried about my offer getting revoked, I'm pissed I have to do a ton of work in the next 18 days rather than play golf and hit on public health students.

You're a 3L right? You're doing it wrong. Go hit on the public health students.

3L year, if you have a job lined up, is for discovering you can actually wing the final with the table of contents to the book, quick reading skills, and the syllabus for the class.